South Korea ship sinking - 450 on board, April 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"In every disaster, numerous, often unconnected elements combine like atoms smashing together to create chaos and death. South Korea's worst disaster in decades was no different. It was the perfect storm."

"Take a faulty ship, load it up beyond its capacity, put it in the hands of a young officer who had never steered it before, take away the captain, add a negligent crew, throw in hundreds of obedient teenagers in a society that rarely questions its elders, add a dash of human confusion and you have the mix that made a tragedy of heartbreaking proportions."

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/so...rean-ferry-tragedy-spawned-twists-fate-n87846

From above link

"The Sewol had been modified last year with more passenger cabins built. The now top-heavy ship was approved by government inspectors. But the company was advised to carry less cargo, advice prosecutors say the company ignored."

"The steering gear had been reported faulty two weeks earlier. The captain asked for it to be repaired, but prosecutors believe no repairs were carried out. So when the helmsman was asked by the third mate during the fateful, final turn to steer five degrees right, he claimed the ship veered far more than that."

This is heart wrenching…

Boy and Girl on Korean Ferry died with life jackets tied together

The diver had to separate the two because he could not carry two corpses up to the surface at the same time. “I started to cry thinking that they didn’t want to leave each other,” he told the Kyunghyang Shinmun newspaper on the island of Jindo on Thursday, near where the overloaded ferry went down last week.

Also from the article:

AN OVERLOADED SHIP

The ship, 146 metres long and 22 metres wide, was over three times overloaded, according to official recommendations, with cargo poorly stowed and inadequate ballast.

Moon Ki-han, an executive at Uryeon (Union Transport Co.), the firm that supervised cargo loading, told Reuters there were 105 containers onboard, some of which toppled into the sea as the ship listed.

Forty-five were loaded on to the front deck and 60 into the lower decks, Moon said. In total, the ship was carrying 3,600 metric tons of cargo including containers, vehicles and other goods, he said.

A member of parliament this week said the Korean Register of Shipping recommended a load of 987 tons for the Sewol.

I've typed posts many times only to delete them. I'm following posts but can't handle reading articles linked. So horrible. I'm horrified this happened to begin with. My thoughts & prayers go to everyone involved.

I am a left brained visual learner/thinker. I have tried to visualize the media reports that they could not "move". I start turning the room in my head and (until this aweful thought a minute ago) it seemed like I could walk on what was the wall but now the floor.

Then it struck me, everything over there (the computer/desk etc etc) would fall on me and then I thought ugh, is that what they really mean not not move, but be trapped, pinned under stuff.

That is an awful..numbing notion........and must have been very very freightening..But then I thought maybe people would have been knocked out and then not know anything that would be better.

The enormity if it has take some time to hit - so freaked out about MAL that this is slowly sinking in......

Really been a horrible month huh, Ukraine, terrorist pep ralleys, Yemon, Fort Hood, the kid slashing his classmates up - is it me or does it seem like its been very bad lately?

Families Confront South Korean Officials

http://abcnews.go.com/International...-confront-skorea-officials-23457573?source=hp

Oh my....some bodies have been mis-identified and released to the wrong families, with the errors caught by funeral homes

How horrible. I heard on CNN this morning that the bodies came ashore with numbers and then the numbers were posted on a board with a description of the body and what they were wearing. The families were identifying the bodies from that information on the board. Maybe they changed to this method after all the wrong identification. jmo

Oh my goodness

How horrible. I heard on CNN this morning that the bodies came ashore with numbers and then the numbers were posted on a board with a description of the body and what they were wearing. The families were identifying the bodies from that information on the board. Maybe they changed to this method after all the wrong identification. jmo

I am a left brained visual learner/thinker. I have tried to visualize the media reports that they could not "move". I start turning the room in my head and (until this aweful thought a minute ago) it seemed like I could walk on what was the wall but now the floor.

Then it struck me, everything over there (the computer/desk etc etc) would fall on me and then I thought ugh, is that what they really mean not not move, but be trapped, pinned under stuff.

That is an awful..numbing notion........and must have been very very freightening..But then I thought maybe people would have been knocked out and then not know anything that would be better.

The enormity if it has take some time to hit - so freaked out about MAL that this is slowly sinking in......

Really been a horrible month huh, Ukraine, terrorist pep ralleys, Yemon, Fort Hood, the kid slashing his classmates up - is it me or does it seem like its been very bad lately?

I can't even imagine what it was like inside trying to get out or staying put with cargo shifting; also as you say furniture flying. Then there are the hall ways & stairs; probably massive panic with people trying to get out.

Reading what the one parent said where he was texting his daughter to get out; she said she couldn't because it was packed with people trying to get out has really stuck with me. I pray they went fast & did not suffer. I can't even imagine someone trying to stay alive in air pockets with help that never came </3

South Korea ferry disaster: captain and crew accused of abandoning passengers

An 18-year-old female pupil identified only as Shin texted her father to tell him not to worry. "I'm wearing a life vest and am with other girls. We're inside the ship, still in the hallway," she told him. Her father's response, urging her to get out, arrived too late.

"Dad, I can't," she said in her final message. "The ship is too tilted. The hallway is crowded with so many people."

This recovery is such a slow process with over 700 divers. Do they make lights that could be used underwater?

You forgot mudslids, earthquakes and now Russia, N Korea, Bagdad, Afghanistan,etc.

I think the world is coming to a end.

Divers searching a sunken passenger ferry off South Korea found 48 bodies in a single room on the vessel meant to accommodate 38 people, officials say.

The group was crammed into a dormitory and all were wearing lifejackets, a South Korean Navy officer said.

http://m.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27162157

Go here guys- awesome coverage &#8211; just awesome-

http://www.youtube.com/user/arirangnews

Random what I have learned:

Disgusting like 7-8 crew members were told right away to escape and did so in a hallway only they could get to. They all walked by the life rafts on their way off the sinking vessel.

Some of em said they could not get to the rafts &#8211; there are pictures of them passing the rafts on their way to be rescued &#8211; they were the first people that made it to the rescue boats

They fled 10 minutes after they told the kids to stay put

Ex-employees are calling in and saying they would not board the vessel it was so unsafe

Widely known that the ship was a piece of crap!

People who own line are worth 230 million- that is their net worth only in Korea- they have all sorts of illegal investments all around the planet

If the captain had dropped the anchors it would not have flipped

The steering problem report never made it to maintenance folks

Allegations that owners paid off safety investigators

Don&#8217;t remember which one (there are 115! Excellent reports here &#8211; one of me had neat animation study of event

Man, I wish these guys were doing MAL 370!!!

The head dude of the country was seen sitting on a couch, eating soup while all the families are lying on the floor of the auditorium

Got has raided the owners house and you can see folks leaving with tons of boxes

They investigating the port &#8211; have told all operators that they had better, in the next two weeks get their operations in order &#8211; starting May 9 the got is paying you all a very nasty visit!!

82% of marine accidents in Korea are pilot error

Another ferry did the same thing (cargo shift) and sank a while back

Go here &#8211; I have learned more in the last two hours than CNN since they murdered a bunch of kids

After spending time here much more nauseated with the crew, now I hope they all go to prison &#8211; they had walkie talkies and were telling each other how to get off the sinking ship

Took a year to get the other one up and out, and it was not upside down on the seabed

Tides are gonna get worse now

They use flairs at night !

Only two divers per rescue line -- can only stay down 20 minutes

Diving bell bought in

At one point the families kicked out all officials and talked among themselves!!

Fascinating-the fact that it went down and over so fast indciates that the ballast containers were NOT properly filled --water heavy - more weight means more fuel $$$$$$$$$$$

Disgusting&#8230;.

I cant stop listening to them - its great when you learn stuff - that is why people watch news!!!! CNN take notes here!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuriousNelly61
Back