Found Deceased Spain - Esther Dingley, from UK, missing in the Pyrenees, November 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There just is such a scarcity of verified information, that I have no “conclusions.” But reading her social media...I could weave a fictional story that would include the following “guesses.” Purely fiction...but here goes.

1. IMO...Her FB posts are more like a diary than social media. It’s as if she knows only Dan is reading and until this mystery, she is probably almost always right about that. Her posts are emotive, revealing, speaking of emotional struggles. Dan’s posts are more marketing endeavors. He is trying to sell books...all kinds of them...he sees profitability from their unusual lifestyle. He’s entering the world again. The world she seems to want to escape and avoid.

2. IMO...The pandemic has understandably put a significant pressure on this relationship. He admits to wanting to have a more settled lifestyle and mentions his continuing health issues. After six year of living on savings, there may be financial pressures. Even the dogs have been removed to the UK.

She on the other hand, feels that the lockdown and lack of freedom...exacerbated HER health issues. Her fear issues are rebounding. He is embracing lockdown; she is running from it.

3. IMO...Dan doesn’t know where she is or what her plan was...any more than we do. After a 4 day trek had extended itself into weeks away, I might guess that their last conversation was more one sided than he admits. He was the one stressing how he missed her and how joyful he would be to have her come home. He might have suggested the final route. I am guessing he was pressuring her and that did not produce the desired result...in fact quite the opposite.

He might have THOUGHT that she agreed with all this, but instead, feeling scared and controlled...she stopped posting on FB and stopped calling. A photo would suffice and prevent another argument. IMO, Dan sensed this...and due to the tone of their last conversation and her online absence...he was not alarmed for several days and that solves the disparate statement...‘she’s always in touch” with the delay in sounding the alarm.

This fictional scenario is the reasoning IMO for the curious statement from the police that the relationship was not as it seemed online. It ties in with Esther’s repeated need to clear her mind and her repeated references to fears that were outside of anything to do with trekking.

IMO...final point. The timing of the BBC publicity with the disappearance. Dan is thrilled. Maybe Esther is terrified. Maybe it seems like another step back into the business world they fled from. Combined with facing a lockdown with no end in sight, I believe this was a highly stressful time for Esther. Her stress may have made her more susceptible to an accident.

All this is just fictional musing, but that’s where the few details we have take me.

Last edited:
I guess a Facebook post would done be in the evening when you can sit down, relax and compose a summary of your days adventures. An Instagram post can be done very quickly and likely to be an instant capture of a scene or maybe you might just post up a few images later in the evening, after your Fb post.

So if E doesn’t Facebook post on 21 st and 22 nd it’s for a reason... nothing to report / not in the right frame of mind / no means of posting etc.

It’s almost as if the gap in posting is filled by the doggy book ads.
I have often though that she may have disappeared earlier .. e.g 21 st but for the Vigo sighting.
I would have thought we’d get a Facebook post on 21 st recounting her lift with Ballarin and grandson and hike. Does this indicate no phone signal on 21st evening ? After all, she ascended the Pic de S and did an Instagram post. Then very late start on 22nd ... seems like the possibility of an “interruption / disruption “ to her life after summiting on 21st. When was BBC article released publicising her travels?. What suddenly prompts doggy ads? Do they need to be done quickly on those days to ensure maximum sales resulting from BBC publicity?
Everything seems to change around 21 st.. the late summit on 22nd almost indicates a possible liaison with someone.
Good post, that's all very interesting, especially a change of plans after the 22nd summit. Do you think someone came from the other direction to the skier (from the refuge) and met her there? I'm thinking that is getting more likely,... she was trusting, so would probably have gone along with their 'alternative plan', what ever that was,.. perhaps to join her on the 2 day hike?

I guess a Facebook post would done be in the evening when you can sit down, relax and compose a summary of your days adventures. An Instagram post can be done very quickly and likely to be an instant capture of a scene or maybe you might just post up a few images later in the evening, after your Fb post.

So if E doesn’t Facebook post on 21 st and 22 nd it’s for a reason... nothing to report / not in the right frame of mind / no means of posting etc.

It’s almost as if the gap in posting is filled by the doggy book ads.
I have often though that she may have disappeared earlier .. e.g 21 st but for the Vigo sighting.
I would have thought we’d get a Facebook post on 21 st recounting her lift with Ballarin and grandson and hike. Does this indicate no phone signal on 21st evening ? After all, she ascended the Pic de S and did an Instagram post. Then very late start on 22nd ... seems like the possibility of an “interruption / disruption “ to her life after summiting on 21st. When was BBC article released publicising her travels?. What suddenly prompts doggy ads? Do they need to be done quickly on those days to ensure maximum sales resulting from BBC publicity?
Everything seems to change around 21 st.. the late summit on 22nd almost indicates a possible liaison with someone.
Good post, that's all very interesting, especially a change of plans after the 22nd summit. Do you think someone came from the other direction to the skier (from the refuge) and met her there? I'm thinking that is getting more likely,... she was trusting, so would probably have gone along with their 'alternative plan', what ever that was,.. perhaps to join her on the 2 day hike?

There just is such a scarcity of verified information, that I have no “conclusions.” But reading her social media...I could weave a fictional story that would include the following “guesses.” Purely fiction...but here goes.

1. IMO...Her FB posts are more like a diary than social media. It’s as if she knows only Dan is reading and until this mystery, she is probably almost always right about that. Her posts are emotive, revealing, speaking of emotional struggles. Dan’s posts are more marketing endeavors. He is trying to sell books...all kinds of them...he sees profitability from their unusual lifestyle. He’s entering the world again. The world she seems to want to escape and avoid.

2. IMO...The pandemic has understandably put a significant pressure on this relationship. He admits to wanting to have a more settled lifestyle and mentions his continuing health issues. After six year of living on savings, there may be financial pressures. Even the dogs have been removed to the UK.

She on the other hand, feels that the lockdown and lack of freedom...exacerbated HER health issues. Her fear issues are rebounding. He is embracing lockdown; she is running from it.

3. IMO...Dan doesn’t know where she is or what her plan was...any more than we do. After a 4 day trek had extended itself into weeks away, I might guess that their last conversation was more one sided than he admits. He was the one stressing how he missed her and how joyful he would be to have her come home. He might have suggested the final route. I am guessing he was pressuring her and that did not produce the desired result...in fact quite the opposite.

He might have THOUGHT that she agreed with all this, but instead, feeling scared and controlled...she stopped posting on FB and stopped calling. A photo would suffice and prevent another argument. IMO, Dan sensed this...and due to the tone of their last conversation and her online absence...he was not alarmed for several days and that solves the disparate statement...‘she’s always in touch” with the delay in sounding the alarm.

This fictional scenario is the reasoning IMO for the curious statement from the police that the relationship was not as it seemed online. It ties in with Esther’s repeated need to clear her mind and her repeated references to fears that were outside of anything to do with trekking.

IMO...final point. The timing of the BBC publicity with the disappearance. Dan is thrilled. Maybe Esther is terrified. Maybe it seems like another step back into the business world they fled from. Combined with facing a lockdown with no end in sight, I believe this was a highly stressful time for Esther. Her stress may have made her more susceptible to an accident.

All this is just fictional musing, but that’s where the few details we have take me.
Fantastic summary, just what I have been thinking, except I think someone from that last week arranged to be where she was on the 21st (ie. second climb to the summit) and then persuaded her to go with him/her... which as you say, she would do because of the adventure to go with someone else ! she would relish that after being told to go home,... and I think that person who may have met her in the last week (at a refuge, hostel (worker or visitor) or just out walking) , grasped the opportunity of knowing where she was, what she was doing and sadly did something to her. I'm guessing they are onto one of the people who 'claim' to have seen/helped her !!! I'm so sad now, as your prognosis is feeling just right and she may have accepted a 'kind' stranger's companionship because she was feeling scared of going back to the rental in France, and like you say, all that was what she didn't want. Poor Esther, this pandemic is hurting so many people's mental health as well as physical.

A really good account which I understand is purely imagination but it's very feasible and logical in conclusion. I can certainly imagine something along these lines. I've been thinking lately that judging from her naturally happy facial expressions in the photos - she looks 'on top of the world (literally) '.. but quite possibly its an elation based on her 'mountain freedom' as she puts off returning to the real world and potential ending to her lifestyle. Also, 38 years of age (?) is quite a poignant time for a female who hasn't yet settled down (possible had a family) etc. It is old enough to think about your biological clock and young enough to not be ready... even if females do not wish to have children, settle down, it still need to be thought about.. so complicated times for Esther perhaps.

Fantastic summary, just what I have been thinking, except I think someone from that last week arranged to be where she was on the 21st (ie. second climb to the summit) and then persuaded her to go with him/her... which as you say, she would do because of the adventure to go with someone else ! she would relish that after being told to go home,... and I think that person who may have met her in the last week (at a refuge, hostel (worker or visitor) or just out walking) , grasped the opportunity of knowing where she was, what she was doing and sadly did something to her. I'm guessing they are onto one of the people who 'claim' to have seen/helped her !!! I'm so sad now, as your prognosis is feeling just right and she may have accepted a 'kind' stranger's companionship because she was feeling scared of going back to the rental in France, and like you say, all that was what she didn't want. Poor Esther, this pandemic is hurting so many people's mental health as well as physical.

I think something along these lines has happened. Her last post relating to her hiking experiences is 19th Nov - then nothing.... although we have a sighting on 22nd by Vigo. Haven't looked further back than 14th Nov but she posts about her hiking days every day.. 14th 15th 16th 17th 18th 19th and then nothing.

Just going from their Facebook page - the BBC article on Esther and Dan was released on 22nd to the BBC website. There's a post on their FB page referring to it - rather odd really as it includes the sentence
'Who knows what adventures we'll have today?
Happy Sunday everyone x'

This by coincidence turns out to be the last day we have a sighting of Esther .

I hadn't thought about it until now - but she was on a 3 day hike, so it was more than hiking the summit, overnight at the refuge and then what - day hikes for 2 days?

It started on 21st I think with the lift from Sr Ballarin so it's actually
-hike the summit
-overnight 21st at unknown location
-movements on the morning of 22nd unknown
-hike the summit again 22nd ~4PM (witnessed ~3PM)
-phone call and picture to Dan 4PM 22nd - with stated intent to descend to Refuge de Venasque ~90 minutes away and I believe circular route back to the van?
-nothing​

So is what everyone thinking, that ED was feeling overwhelmed by life, responsibility and an end to her lifestyle?

I think possibly, yes. Which of course opens the possibility to a voluntary disappearance whether alone or with someone else. However... no sign whatsoever that that has happened, so my #1 theory is still accident.

Would love Esther to be safe and well and just having some sort of break, but think it’s highly unlikely.

I think something along these lines has happened. Her last post relating to her hiking experiences is 19th Nov - then nothing.... although we have a sighting on 22nd by Vigo. Haven't looked further back than 14th Nov but she posts about her hiking days every day.. 14th 15th 16th 17th 18th 19th and then nothing.

Just going from their Facebook page - the BBC article on Esther and Dan was released on 22nd to the BBC website. There's a post on their FB page referring to it - rather odd really as it includes the sentence
'Who knows what adventures we'll have today?
Happy Sunday everyone x'

This by coincidence turns out to be the last day we have a sighting of Esther .

BBM

The last post was 21st Login • Instagram

But yes I looked back like you, and went bit further back, and saw posts every day (except 20th when she spent a quiet day at the van according to DC statement).

BBM

The last post was 21st Login • Instagram

But yes I looked back like you, and went bit further back, and saw posts every day (except 20th when she spent a quiet day at the van according to DC statement).
Yes of course, Instagram post on 21st! Thanks for reminder... I'm just thinking, something / someone causes directly or indirectly an interruption to her normal schedule around the 20th..

A meeting / phone call/ communication / incident... maybe causes her to change plans to include somethig not originally planned. All speculation, of course

So is what everyone thinking, that ED was feeling overwhelmed by life, responsibility and an end to her lifestyle?

Quite the opposite IMO.

She had wanted to go away for a while on her own, and she had done that.
It all worked out well for her, she overcame certain fears and enjoyed her independence.
She was planning to return to the home where she and her partner were currently staying, an area where despite the lockdown rules, she might still be outdoors.

I'm not sure how you conclude that ED would have been overwhelmed by responsibility. She had none of the burdens of responsibility like children, mortgages, demanding jobs that people her age usually have. Hers was a very free lifestyle and it is unclear that they had decided to end that.

It's certainly a possibility that someone could have come up from the other direction. Despite the skier saying no one was up there, he wouldn't have known if someone was coming up from the direction of the refuge to which Esther was meant to be going.

Yes of course, Instagram post on 21st! Thanks for reminder... I'm just thinking, something / someone causes directly or indirectly an interruption to her normal schedule around the 20th..

A meeting / phone call/ communication / incident... maybe causes her to change plans to include somethig not originally planned. All speculation, of course

Yes, at the risk of getting carried away with speculation, something just seems a bit odd to me about this change in the pattern. I even thought the lack of posts on 20th seemed a bit odd. If she was just hanging around the campervan I'd have thought that would have been a time when she would catch up and maybe post some more, rather than it be the only day not to post.

BBM - It does seem that something altered her usual routines of keeping in touch. The issue of giving up their lifestyle of the previous years to settle down has likely been the cause of inner conflict for ED. I think the issue was raised earlier from her Facebook posts?? Not an easy one to resolve for a couple with opposing needs that fundamentally change their lives in a way that meets one person's needs but not the other. Normal life stages stuff, but not the ideal frame of mind when negotiating difficult terrains.

BBM - It does seem that something altered her usual routines of keeping in touch. The issue of giving up their lifestyle of the previous years to settle down has likely been the cause of inner conflict for ED. I think the issue was raised earlier from her Facebook posts?? Not an easy one to resolve for a couple with opposing needs that fundamentally change their lives in a way that meets one person's needs but not the other. Normal life stages stuff, but not the ideal frame of mind when negotiating difficult terrains.

Of course there's always a WHY!!! This one is if the above is the case wouldn't she just return home so they could work it out together? She has been a relatively open person. A relative described her as an 'open book'.

This is the map of the French side - the official paths are in purple (the red line are the trails that I followed in 2014).
It appears that the original plan was to loop from Benasque to Port de la Glere, then to Port de Venasque, the Pic and then back to Benasque. However on the 16th the way to Port de la Glere was blocked with snow, hence the trip back to the van. So there would be little point in hiking from Port de Venasque to Port de la Glere since the route back to Benasque would still be blocked. Also, without local knowledge, it's unusual to see hikers go "off piste".
edit: looking at the maps, the initial route when she returned back to the van, was no where near this area. The maps in the newspapers at the time are totally wrong.
There's something wrong here, as there are 2 routes from the Refuge to the valley.

Makes sense to me. How long would that loop take, do we think? It does not look to me like it can be done in a single day, so she would indeed have had to bivouac somewhere along this route. In subzero temperatures and with limited access to water. Is that do-able with a sleeping bag and a tent? It was reported early on that SAR were looking out for her tent, so I am presuming she did have it with her.
I have shown a photo upthread what ED's bivouac looks like. She didn't use the tent, but had it draped on top.
A tent would be much safer there, except in wind.
In the conditions when she was hiking, even one night bivouac would be extremely risky IMO.

Sub zero temps is not as scary as all that.

We routinely hold a spring party with camping guests and i have camped out in 2C with no particular special kit other than my 3 season sleeping bag - warm as toast. Matters a lot more whether you are wet etc
For the good of the order, 2C is above freezing. The recorded temps near the Refuge were -20C for the nights ED was out.
I also have camped out below freezing too many many nights to count (I would think something like 200). In cool conditions, if you merely sweat you can even get hypothermia, as I did with a Sierra Club group while setting up my tent in Kings Canyon National Park at the 1st of September; it was perhaps skirting 0 degrees F right then, and it had been warmer that day. No wind. Dry day. We had just come over a tall pass (maybe 9000ft?) in brilliant sunshine, very much like the look of the trails around the Refuge.
There is a reason why experienced folks don't do this....unless they're with a group and have ALOT of experience.
A tent gives you an extra 10 degrees F warmth.
The fog might have rolled in on ED during the evening.....DAMP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member