Found Deceased Spain - Esther Dingley, from UK, missing in the Pyrenees, November 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Skiers ignore Covid lockdown rules in Scotland to flock to Cairngorm Mountain | Daily Mail Online
Couldn't resist this article just to show walkers, sledders and skiers flagrantly ignoring lockdowns in Scotland. I don't believe Scotland is unique, and just thinking of all the cars at the Pyrenees Ski Resort. Similar scenes in Wales according to the DM.
I flew over Mt Robson (highest peak) in Canada in a helicopter. Seeing the crevasse with skidoo tracks around them, in the snow, was an eye opener. The pilot commented there are crazy people out there. Just making the point there could be various unknown people in the mountains despite the weather and freezing conditions.

Last edited:
There's something wrong here, as there are 2 routes from the Refuge to the valley.
On the IGN25k map, the alternate route is shown as a light dashed black line. Other maps like Online Outdoor Hiking Bicycle MTB Map based on Open streetmap, will identify according to the Swiss alpine club difficulty level, SAC T1 -T5, so maybe a better reference.

Attachments

• 4u.jpg
    4u.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 31
Skiers ignore Covid lockdown rules in Scotland to flock to Cairngorm Mountain | Daily Mail Online
Couldn't resist this article just to show walkers, sledders and skiers flagrantly ignoring lockdowns in Scotland. I don't believe Scotland is unique, and just thinking of all the cars at the Pyrenees Ski Resort. Similar scenes in Wales according to the DM.
I flew over Mt Robson (highest peak) in Canada in a helicopter. Seeing the crevasse with skidoo tracks around them, in the snow, was an eye opener. The pilot commented there are crazy people out there. Just making the point there could be various unknown people in the mountains despite the weather and freezing conditions.
The Pyrenees ski resort is legally open. However, IIRC, the lifts can't run. There would be a lot of staff on site, since some would be living there. You'll see there are not a whole lot of ski tracks outside that resort. If I were there, I'd be snowshoe-ing.

Quite the opposite IMO.

She had wanted to go away for a while on her own, and she had done that.
It all worked out well for her, she overcame certain fears and enjoyed her independence.
She was planning to return to the home where she and her partner were currently staying, an area where despite the lockdown rules, she might still be outdoors.

I'm not sure how you conclude that ED would have been overwhelmed by responsibility. She had none of the burdens of responsibility like children, mortgages, demanding jobs that people her age usually have. Hers was a very free lifestyle and it is unclear that they had decided to end that.

I cannot dispute that your interpretation might be correct.

But, IMO, Esther was exceptionally sensitive and removing just the typical burdens of responsibility you cite...did not, according to her various postings, suffice to relieve her anxiety and fear.

Some of her more recent musing stress her need to self-care above all:

‘Put on your own gas mask on first before helping others".

‘I've learnt about self-care and self-love, terms that had never been in my vocabulary. It's still taken a few hard lessons, several big reminders but now it's a daily practice of learning to listen to myself, my own needs and my own rhythm.”

‘And now I'm finding out all these things I have so much passion for I need to look after my one and only true 'home', my best friend, my body. The fact I frazzled my nervous system means I have to look after myself more than others. But I'm very grateful now for the fact my body is so very sensitive and quick to tell me (painfully) when I've started to go off track. It's my beautiful barometer, as are the dogs, to tell me when it's time to stop, rest and look after me!”

I can’t copy from FB...but in the post where she discusses lockdown, she definitely feels it’s unhealthy for her...for her particular set of challenges.

All the ordinary stresses of life have supposedly been removed, but Esther does not seem carefree to me. It seems their medical issues are not behind them. Living on savings and a rental for six years might have become a stretch, especially depending on where in the UK that rental might be. Dan admitted that they were working through their differing feelings about how to move forward. If Dan is the more dominant partner, Esther might feel very stressed about how to continue the life she felt she NEEDED for self care...without his complete support.

More info about the way searches are conducted and hikers / climbers missing in the Pyrenees of Aragón.

Joaquín López Valls, a rock climber from Madrid was lost in 1954 and his body was found 46 years later on the Tempestades del Aneto glacier. It is, so far, the longest disappearance known in the Aragonese Pyrenees. The mountains are yet to return the bodies of five climbers and one female hiker, missing for over 15 years. In spite of this, the Guardia Civil never stops searching. Added to the list in the last month is the mysterious disappearance in Benasque of the English hiker Esther Dingley, 37, and Andrés Funes Monge, 61, hiker and lawyer from Huesca who disappeared on December 19. The latter is being sought by the French Gendarmerie, the Benemérita [Guardia Civíl] has joined in the task.

The chief lieutenant of the mountain section of the Aragon and Navarre Area of the Guardia Civíl, Santiago Gómez Rivas, still remembers his first "great disappearance" was that of Jesús Ríos, a 71 year-old Mexican tourist whose body was found 12 days after he had gone missing. He had hardly started the job he holds today.

That operation involved a large number of troops, family and friends of the deceased who tried to search for him. "Organisation and coordination is fundamental. It is complicated for many reasons, but you have to be clear that other lives cannot be put in danger when you are looking for someone," the lieutenant says.

When they receive a notification that they have to search for a person whose trail has been lost, the same protocol always applies: activate all available troops, both on foot and in vehicles, with dogs, divers and with the helicopter. The weather and the shape of the terrain determine how this is done.

The searches always begin at the point where it is most likely that the trail was lost and as they discard nearby paths, roads and ravines, the radius increases. "It is very important to know the area in which they were going to hike or climb and the first check we make is to see where that person's vehicle is parked, for example," says Gómez Rivas, who acknowledges that "it is an indication that allows them to confirm that they are in the right area. In other cases, such as that of the recently disappeared Esther Dingley, the photos that are published on social networks or sent through Whatsapp also constitute clues that help them solve the case.

It is at this point that the greatest number of people are deployed, to whom are added the ranks of outsiders who are always led by an officer. "It's often a question of rotating people because when you go through a place where you haven't found anything before, it produces a kind of problem, since you only look at the same thing once over and that's what we are trying to avoid," he stresses. In the case of the Mexican tourist, 100 people participated. During this time, communication with family members is constant, although, as the lieutenant points out, "everything depends on them and their ways of being."

Although the rescue protocol does not set a deadline for the duration of the raids, they are usually intensive during the first week and then, as time goes by, they move on to very specific areas. They have to combine these enquiries with other rescues from people who have accidents while doing their mountain sports. "I try to give hope not only to the families, but also to the colleagues, to find out where these people are," said the man, who recognises that they have a handicap and are therefore using many technologies, such as drones and GPS, to sectorise areas and comb out as much of the area as possible.

There is never a better time to activate a protocol of these characteristics, but Gómez Rivas maintains that summer is "better than winter, mainly because of the temperatures".
"In addition, there are more hours of light, so our helicopter can be activated for longer and the personnel who carry out the scans can do so too", he explains.

The head of the mountain section of the Guardia Civil's Area of Aragon and Navarre is surprised that at this time when mountain activity has fallen considerably due to the mobility restrictions of the covid-19 "there are reports of disappearances".
"We have observed that there are people who become disoriented and that, being alone in the mountains because there are no others like them, which would usually be the case, the problem increases even more."

Except in cases of accidents or natural deaths, to avoid cases of this type it is always necessary to have good equipment and a system that enables geolocation.

BBM

Búsquedas en el tiempo

This is the map of the French side - the official paths are in purple (the red line are the trails that I followed in 2014).
It appears that the original plan was to loop from Benasque to Port de la Glere, then to Port de Venasque, the Pic and then back to Benasque. However on the 16th the way to Port de la Glere was blocked with snow, hence the trip back to the van. So there would be little point in hiking from Port de Venasque to Port de la Glere since the route back to Benasque would still be blocked. Also, without local knowledge, it's unusual to see hikers go "off piste". edit: looking at the maps, the initial route when she returned back to the van, was no where near this area. The maps in the newspapers at the time are totally wrong.

@jsoap, your perspective is invaluable to our discussion here, since you have hiked much of the terrain and trails we keep mulling over on ED's behalf.

I love the map you posted earlier today (reposted here). Like RickshawFan, I noticed for the first time there is a second trail from the Refuge de Vanesque that goes between two of the little lakes to the left. You did not hike that, but do you think it is something we should consider vis a vis routes ED may have taken 11/22?

What really got my attention on your map though, is the loop on the French side from the Hospice de France to the Crete de Crabides to Refuge de Vanesque (or counter clockwise). We have not explored that. So I wonder from your hike of that loop, is that a route ED could have taken say on 11/22 or 23 and are there any huts / refuges?

I have attached here some interesting websites that showcase this area, including the first one depicts that loop nicely, the second one is a cool 3D view of the area.

1. Trace de trail : Hospice de France - Ref. de Vénasque - Crête de Crabides
2. Crête de Crabidès

Attachments

• Jsoap from WS Map_venasque.jpg
    Jsoap from WS Map_venasque.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 22
The recorded temps near the Refuge were -20C for the nights ED was out
May I just check on the -20C?
The temperatures are not that low right now
METEO MONTAGNE SUPERBAGNÈRES 1800M par Météo-France - Prévisions météo gratuites à 15 jours sur la station
Hi @Recliner,

I think it was my post #139 that identified a source for historical weather conditions at the lat long coordinates for Refuge de Vanesque, reposted here:

1. Archived Weather for Refuge de Vanesque 11/2020 (11/20-21 looks colder than it was 11/22-23)
Archive météo 42.7°N 0.64°E

I did the two loop trails on separate days from the Hospice de France. As @otto pointed out earlier, there is another path through the lakes marked on the Open street map, though not on the IGN maps. The Cabane du Cirque de la Glere is nearby.

To pick up on the helpful out-of-the-box thinking of @otto last night and @jsoap's trail expertise today, IMO, I am starting to wonder if ED had planned to do two loops on the French side between 11/21 and 11/24 (of course we may never know, and I am going to presume even DC and her Mother did not know ED's plans).

1. One loop could have included going towards Port de la Glere staying at the The Cabane du Cirque de la Glere (see @Skiptolou's post, quoted below for website / map), via Chemin de l'impératrice, Hospice de France and Port de Vanesque (or counter clockwise) and
So ED might have planned to stay at the Cabane du Cirque de la Glère (blue hut icon) on the night of 23 Nov, after setting off from the Refuge de Venasque and following the anti-clockwise route on this picture. View attachment 278038 Taken from
this website. At least that may have been the plan but she never made it to the Refuge de Venasque. I can't imagine she would have bypassed the Refuge to try and reach the Cabane on the 22nd.
2. One loop could have included going to Crete de Crabides via Hospice de France and back to the base of Pic de S per my post a few minutes ago (or counter clockwise).

In fact, could ED have actually completed loop #2 on 11/21 - 22? Since ED summitted Pic de S early afternoon on 11/21, could she have successfully descended, headed towards the Refuge de V via the Port de V, and hiked to Hospice de France to bouavac if there was not an open winter room (provides her with WiFi)?

And then, the morning of 11/22, ED could have left the Hospice de France to do the Crete de Crabides loop ending on the ascent back up the Pic de S trail (where she was seen by the Olympic Skier at about 3pm) with the intent to stay at The Cabane du Cirque de la Glere for the night on 11/22, via the left hand trail from the Refuge de V.

This last leg makes most sense if we suspend the assumption that ED summited Pic de S a second time on 11/22 (that the What's App posting only pinged the Pic de Sauvegarde tower). In other words, ED could have headed through the Port de V at about 3:30pm heading to the Cabane du Cirque de la Glere for the night of 11/22?

From there, on 11/23 ED may have planned to hike from the Cabane, following loop #1, to stay at the Refuge de Vanesque on 11/23, returning to Banasque on 11/24.

I know this is just another scenario based on the limited facts we have. But it could explain the 11/21-22 mystery as to what ED was up to. And it also explains the search area including the Port de la Glere area (thanks for pointing that out @otto). In fact, ED may have been in the middle of her three day trek on 11/22, having accomplished one loop with the intent to do the other loop between 11/22-23. That could also explain her possible thirst or hunger with the fruit request of the skier.

ED's intent could still have been to in/voluntarily disappear after her three day venture (on 11/24), so that remains a possibility, especially with all the interesting analysis of her possible state of mind today. But if she did not succeed at finishing her second loop (e.g., accident, hypothermia) she may be somewhere on loop #1, or even between the Refuge de V and the base of the Pic de S trail, if she made it to the Refuge for the night of 11/23 but did not make it safely back to her van on 11/24.

Last edited:
Hi @Recliner,

I think it was my post #139 that identified a source for historical weather conditions at the lat long coordinates for Refuge de Vanesque, reposted here:

1. Archived Weather for Refuge de Vanesque 11/2020 (11/20-21 looks colder than it was 11/22-23)
Archive météo 42.7°N 0.64°E
The temperature doesn't go down to -20 °C, it seems as it went down to -11 °C on November 20/21, then on the 22/23 it was above 0 °C at the coldest. The humidity was downs to 20% on the 21. The low humidity might have the cold feel "less cold" than what the temperature were.
Dry Cold vs Humid Cold

Last edited:
To pick up on the helpful out-of-the-box thinking of @otto last night and @jsoap's trail expertise today, IMO, I am starting to wonder if ED had planned to do two loops on the French side between 11/21 and 11/24 (of course we may never know, and I am going to presume even DC and her Mother did not know ED's plans).

Good post , yes that could be a great explanation for her climbing Sauvegarde twice.

Couple of tweaks to that theory I'd make are
1) maybe not staying at the Hospice (even camped outside) , wasn't that manned at the time, so there'd have been witnesses?
2)she was planning to stay at Refuge de Vanesque 22nd according to Dan

So maybe, to fit in with the above:
-arrive at the Pic midday 21st
-short loop maybe anti-clockwise (as per the Skiptolou route you mentioned) with overnight camp but not at the Hospice
-continue the loop and back up the Pic 22nd
-planning short descent to Refuge de Venasque to stay in or outside
-on 23rd maybe a clockwise loop up towards the Hospice and back via Pas de l'Escalette (as per Pic de Sauvegarde en circuit depuis l'Hospice de France ETA: but in reverse direction to the route on that map)

As I say just a couple of tweaks you did the work on the two loops thing.

Last edited:
Good post , yes that could be a great explanation for her climbing Sauvegarde twice.

Couple of tweaks to that theory I'd make are
1) maybe not staying at the Hospice (even camped outside) , wasn't that manned at the time, so there'd have been witnesses?
2)she was planning to stay at Refuge de Vanesque 22nd according to Dan

So maybe, to fit in with the above:
-arrive at the Pic midday 21st
-short loop maybe anti-clockwise (as per the Skiptolou route you mentioned) with overnight camp but not at the Hospice
-continue the loop and back up the Pic 22nd
-planning short descent to Refuge de Venasque to stay in or outside
-on 23rd maybe a clockwise loop up towards the Hospice and back via Pas de l'Escalette (as per Pic de Sauvegarde en circuit depuis l'Hospice de France ETA: but in reverse direction to the route on that map)

As I say just a couple of tweaks you did the work on the two loops thing.

Thanks @Grouse. Here is an alternative overnight spot near the Hospice de France (15 minute walk if I interpret the web information correctly) and it would be easily approachable by ED to stay the night of 11/21 on her 11/21-22 loop thru The Crete de Crabides - the Cabane du Pesson.

I snipped the image below from here: Trace de trail : Hospice de France - Ref. de Vénasque - Crête de Crabides. And here is a link to information about Cabane du Pesson 1500 m (cabane non gardée).

Attachments

• Cabane de Pesson.JPG
    Cabane de Pesson.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 12

But, IMO, Esther was exceptionally sensitive and removing just the typical burdens of responsibility you cite...did not, according to her various postings, suffice to relieve her anxiety and fear.

‘I've learnt about self-care and self-love, terms that had never been in my vocabulary. It's still taken a few hard lessons, several big reminders but now it's a daily practice of learning to listen to myself, my own needs and my own rhythm.”

‘And now I'm finding out all these things I have so much passion for I need to look after my one and only true 'home', my best friend, my body. The fact I frazzled my nervous system means I have to look after myself more than others. But I'm very grateful now for the fact my body is so very sensitive and quick to tell me (painfully) when I've started to go off track. It's my beautiful barometer, as are the dogs, to tell me when it's time to stop, rest and look after me!”

I can’t copy from FB...but in the post where she discusses lockdown, she definitely feels it’s unhealthy for her...for her particular set of challenges.

All the ordinary stresses of life have supposedly been removed, but Esther does not seem carefree to me. It seems their medical issues are not behind them. Living on savings and a rental for six years might have become a stretch, especially depending on where in the UK that rental might be. Dan admitted that they were working through their differing feelings about how to move forward. If Dan is the more dominant partner, Esther might feel very stressed about how to continue the life she felt she NEEDED for self care...without his complete support.

Yes - I agree with all of that. It definitely seems as though the freedom that Esther loved and needed was being whittled - and snatched - away from her by Covid, Brexit and potentially factors within the relationship that we can only guess about (and that's not a criticism in any way - there are difficulties and differences in any relationship that have to be surmounted - it wouldn't be a relationship if there weren't).

We don't know how much or at all this could have impacted on her state of mind or decision making, but it's certainly a potential factor, potentially a huge one in my opinion. Being happy in the moment has nothing to do with being carefree.

From snippets that I have seen, and comments made by other posters, it does look as though she and Dan lived very much a quiet life together. I wonder whether Esther was hungering for a broader range of contact with other human beings, and that going on her own trips gave her chance to do this (whether she consciously did so or not). She seems to have made the most of any contact that she had - ie chatting with the man who gave her a lift, and friendships made en route. For me it may explain the asking for fruit incident - a quirky conversation opener, appreciated by some but not all. Her willingness to accept lifts in is the part that concerns me. Taking the risk of accepting lifts is an indicator to me that she may have negated other potential risks. Does anyone else think that accepting lifts is taking a massive risk (rural, mountainous area or not!) ? I get the feeling that she was very focussed on seeing the good in people which is a beautiful trait but not always realistic. I'm not sure how much weighting I would give this as a factor in her disappearance, but to me it is still a factor.

It is of course possible she had a very straightforward accident. I think that it really is a case of assume nothing (as posted by someone in recent pages - the A B C of sleuthing). there really is so little to go on. I keep mentioning the thread of Susan Mclean because it made such an impression on me, and in that case the missing persons state of mind and motivations really were the key.

It is of course possible she had a very straightforward accident. I think that it really is a case of assume nothing (as posted by someone in recent pages - the A B C of sleuthing). there really is so little to go on. I keep mentioning the thread of Susan Mclean because it made such an impression on me, and in that case the missing persons state of mind and motivations really were the key.

BBM & Snipped for brevity by me.

Key to finding Susan were deduction and logic. Lumberjill's deduction and logic. She spoke with everyone and drew her own conclusions. Susan was last seen down the road, but not further down that same road. Hence she must have taken the path through the gate, there were no other options.
Next, @Lumberjill organized two search parties, and on the second Saturday, they found Susan's remains.

I'm not sure that you have to delve so deep into a person's life or personality to find someone who has gone missing in the Pyrenees.

IMO Esther went missing because she was alone, in an area that she did not know, at a moment in time when there were hardly any other hikers. Possibly she was overdoing it, possibly she did not have enough food or water, but that would not have mattered if she had not been on her own.

All it would have taken for her hiking partner was one phone call in a spot with network to report an accident. But there was no one.

As for challenges during lockdown.... I am really sitting on my hands here. Lockdown affects us all and many people face harsh situations.

BBM & Snipped for brevity by me.

Key to finding Susan were deduction and logic. Lumberjill's deduction and logic. She spoke with everyone and drew her own conclusions. Susan was last seen down the road, but not further down that same road. Hence she must have taken the path through the gate, there were no other options.
Next, @Lumberjill organized two search parties, and on the second Saturday, they found Susan's remains.

Agree - that was the key to finding Susan, not why she disappeared. I really don't know whether or not she would have been found sooner if people had realised what lay behind her disappearance.

Esther has not been found so we are trying to cover all avenues - hoping for answers and wishing for the seemingly impossible - hopefully as respectfully as possible. It's always in my mind that this is someone's loved one that we are talking about.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Another person has gone missing in the Pyrenees, on the French side of the mountains. José Andrés Funes Monge is a lawyer from Huesca. He disappeared during a hike on December 19. To searchers, what matters is the area, the experience of the missing hiker (unlike Esther, Funes Monge is familiar with this area) and his clothing and gear. Colours! There is no mention is the press about his past, other than his education. Nothing about partners, spouses, life events and so on.

Esther Dingley seems to me a cautious, responsible and friendly person, a bit younger than her years, who apparently went well prepared on that hike. IMO she made a mistake that she did not recognize as such. Perhaps it was a mistake that would have gone without consequences in different areas. But not so in the Pyrenees. The mistake she made (other than going it alone) was most likely due to her lack of familiarity with the Pyrenees.

Since she disappeared with all her gear, it probably wasn't a panick attack or similar, and she wasn't doing yoga either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree - that was the key to finding Susan, not why she disappeared. I really don't know whether or not she would have been found sooner if people had realised what lay behind her disappearance.

Esther has not been found so we are trying to cover all avenues - hoping for answers and wishing for the seemingly impossible - hopefully as respectfully as possible. It's always in my mind that this is someone's loved one that we are talking about.

That is what Lumberjill fretted about, after Susan had been found. That her life might have been saved if LE had done a better search to start with. There might have been a chance, even if that chance was probably small. So sad.

Snipped for focus:
<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Another person has gone missing in the Pyrenees, on the French side of the mountains. José Andrés Funes Monge is a lawyer from Huesca. He disappeared during a hike on December 19. To searchers, what matters is the area, the experience of the missing hiker (unlike Esther, Funes Monge is familiar with this area) and his clothing and gear. Colours! There is no mention is the press about his past, other than his education. Nothing about partners, spouses, life events and so on.

ZaZara, I'm puzzled by your post. What do you deduce from a reference to Funes Monge's education in the press, yet "nothing about partners, spouses, life events and so on"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members