Found Deceased Spain - Julen Rosello, 2, fell into narrow and deep borehole, Totalán, 13 Jan 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the delay now is in drifting the horizontal tunnel between the vertical shafts. From what I can gather, they may be digging by hand or with small tools here, plus it has to be shored up so it doesn't collapse. That terrain is really unstable.

But those miners haven't gone down yet. They are said to start at 5am.

I keep checking here....with a lump in my throat. On one hand while we don't know, there's a flicker of hope....on the other, there's the reality of what will likely be the outcome. My continuing thoughts are with Julen's parents......

So the drilling finished at 8:30pm Monday.
It can take 12-14 hours to pipe the tunnel.

So that's 8:30am-10:30am Tuesday.
(No idea where they came up with 5am, but I'd ignore it given the other deadlines we've heard.)

Then 24 hours to dig the horizontal path.
So the earliest they'd reach him would be Wednesday morning.

10 full days and nights... 240 hours.
There's just no hope here. None. I absolutely hate to admit it.
I so hope he didn't suffer. Please give his parents that at least.

Los mineros intentarán hoy rescatar a Julen tras acabar las obras para perforar los 60 metros de pozo

One hour before, at 20.30, the drilling machine finally touched the level -60
after a host of setbacks that have been delaying the works.

----------------------------------------------------

After the end of the drilling, began the tubing of the well with the cylinders of six meters manufactured ad hoc by a Murcian company - the most delicate part is to fit the last one, which is where the one meter window through which they will exit and the miners will enter - and the regrowth of the work platform, the 'crater' excavated 23 meters from which the drill was used.

The reason for this filling are unstable slopes - due to the urgency and urgency of the work - and a rock that had to be secured. Calculate the engineer that will take from 12 to 14 hours in these tasks, so the miners will enter this morning.

----------------------------------------------------

The rescuers work from this window the last cylinder allowing them to'attack' one meter above the ground , one meter in front and one meter below (in total, three), so potentially stop the capsule to a depth of -73 meters to have more guarantees to locate the child below the sand plug.

------------------------------------------------

They say, according to the technical coordinator, that they can take 24 hours to excavate the three or four meters of the horizontal gallery that will connect the wells, although in the privacy of the operation they have spoken of shorter terms if, once and for all, the land It is favorable.

I keep checking here....with a lump in my throat. On one hand while we don't know, there's a flicker of hope....on the other, there's the reality of what will likely be the outcome. My continuing thoughts are with Julen's parents......
I hear ya - with each passing hour my optimism gets dimmer and dimmer. I think everyone here has some big knots in their stomachs too - I can't begin to imagine the agony Julen's parents are feeling. It's heartbreaking.

My virtual hat is off to the rescuers - they're doing an heroic job trying to save this little guy! Every time I get frustrated at how long it's taking to reach Julen I remind myself that they are not only working around the clock but also putting their own safety at risk in order to bring him home.

**Not an update on Julen, but an update on the investigation into what led to him falling into the borehole.

(Using google translate)

The Seprona agents interrogated David, the owner of the farm and husband of a relative of Julen's parents, and Antonio Sánchez, the prospect who did the surveying, and they were able to determine that neither the well nor the subsequent works that moved the stone enjoyed the authorization of the Junta de Andalucía or the City Council of Totalán (Málaga). From their testimonies they could know that the orifice was opened on December 18 and that in the days before Julen rushed through it, a series of works were undertaken in the area. Specifically lowered the mountain gaining ground, there was an esplanade and an L-shaped ditch (aerial view) of 35 meters long by five wide -the Guardia Civil also has located the company that was responsible for these movements-. In that ditch they wanted to make a retaining wall, according to the statement of the owner of the farm, and there was the well. In these works, machinery was used that displaced the stone that covered the well leaving it exposed. The Civil Guard suspects that the owner of the plot intended to make a house in the esplanade and that is why he wanted to make that retaining wall for possible landslides from the mountain.

La Justicia ya investiga el pozo donde cayó Julen

**Not an update on Julen, but an update on the investigation into what led to him falling into the borehole.

(Using google translate)

Thanks for the info! I think I get the gist of the article. It seems a bit like there's some CYA going on regarding the stone - machinery displaced it?? - ok. It's hard to know exactly without speaking Italian but I wonder why the cover wasn't put back... I also hope we'll hear the results of any investigation the authorities are conducting...

When little Alfredo fell into the well they had communication with him. They had lowered a microphone into the well and they were talking to him. One of the rescuers had even reached him but he fell deeper into the well.

Thanks for the info! I think I get the gist of the article. It seems a bit like there's some CYA going on regarding the stone - machinery displaced it?? - ok. It's hard to know exactly without speaking Italian but I wonder why the cover wasn't put back... I also hope we'll hear the results of any investigation the authorities are conducting...

Yes, I have the same hunch about the CYA business. My Spanish isn't great, but there seems to have been a lot of back & forth and as this has gone on.

hopefully there is also psychological help available for the first rescuers, goodness knows what they will find when they finally break through,
also wondering if special search dogs would detect a scent of little julen from the top of the well hole? it may give hope hes alive if theres no scent or otherwise prepare everyone for the other scenario?

When little Alfredo fell into the well they had communication with him. They had lowered a microphone into the well and they were talking to him. One of the rescuers had even reached him but he fell deeper into the well.

It was the same with Jessica McClure. Also oxygen & heat. Then again, nothing had fallen on top of her. I'm betting they'll be using microphones and cameras once they breach the borehole from the horizontal tunnel.

hopefully there is also psychological help available for the first rescuers, goodness knows what they will find when they finally break through,
also wondering if special search dogs would detect a scent of little julen from the top of the well hole? it may give hope hes alive if theres no scent or otherwise prepare everyone for the other scenario?

There was a mention of psychological help, but I can't recall if was just for the family, or if that included rescuers. I hope it's for all concerned.

TOTALÁN, Spain — Efforts to reach a 2-year-old boy who fell into a borehole more than a week ago are nearing their most dangerous stage, an engineer on the rescue team said on Monday.
“The most dangerous part, the most delicate part, still remains to be done,” mining engineer Juan Lopez Escobar told Canal Sur. “It is a complicated job where lives will be at risk, but they have practiced that, and they are the best.”
Drilling to find Julen in borehole reaches dangerous stage

***Not an update on finding Julen.

Julen’s father José said he was looking after the toddler while the mother made a call to the hamburger restaurant where she worked. When José went to look for wood to make a fire for a paella, the boy ran away. Another member of the family, a woman, cried “the boy, the boy!” and chased after him. The father ran to catch up with him and when he was within 10 to 15 meters of reach, Julen disappeared down the borehole. The woman says José began removing stones from the edge of the hole and put his hand down in effort to grab his son, but as he did so the ground fell in. Julen was heard crying and then nothing more.

Timeline of Julen tragedy: “A child has fallen down a small hole. He needs to be rescued”

According to this article:

...the person who dug the original (illegal) borehole DID cover it, and as he stated: it, and the landscape around it had been altered in the meantime. (Also without the proper permits.)

So, they dug the borehole, did not find water. They removed earth and landscaped, moving the protective cover on the hole. (Heavy machinery had to have moved the cover.) The father left that detail out, to the best of my understanding.

Does the removal of soil in the landscape mean the hole is not as deep as it was when it was first dug- are the estimates of the depth of the hole off?

If so- the ‘plug’ of earth...? I’m sorry to say this, but doesn’t that mean the poor soul was lost quickly in a landslide?

(‘..a classic white lie..’ the female anchor said after the engineer discussed the rescue efforts a few days ago.)

I would very much like to be wrong.

ETA: please delete if inaccurate or inappropriate at this time.

You are fine Lexi, no worries. I haven't seen this detailed of a description before.

"Julen’s father José said he was looking after the toddler while the mother made a call to the hamburger restaurant where she worked. When José went to look for wood to make a fire for a paella, the boy ran away. Another member of the family, a woman, cried “the boy, the boy!” and chased after him.

The father ran to catch up with him and when he was within 10 to 15 meters of reach, Julen disappeared down the borehole. The woman says José began removing stones from the edge of the hole and put his hand down in effort to grab his son, but as he did so the ground fell in. Julen was heard crying and then nothing more."

Yes. This gives me some "hope" that he died quickly. This explains why there was a small landslide. I'm guessing it was a rock that fell in and knocked him out. I hope. I'd say I hope he's just been unconscious but I know enough about head injuries to know that would be just as bad if it was true.

It's also horrifying to read as a Mom of a little dude. The thought of it being me is terrifying. I've imagined all the horrible ways Julen could have been suffering. I just don't want those to be realized. I want a miracle, but maybe the true miracle would be if he died quickly. I know too much to believe he could be alive down there.

Quote from a miner in article, using google translate:

At 21.45 hours last night, three members of the Mining Rescue Brigade of the Principality of Asturias left the command post of the device and got into a car. As in a ritual, they crossed themselves before heading towards the 'zone 0' of the search of the small Julen, an immense crater excavated in a mountain of the mountain range of Totalán on which everybody has put his look for nine days. A journalist from Telecinco asked: "Are you encouraged?" The miners, sparing in words, focused on their mission, answered: "Of course."

Los mineros intentarán hoy rescatar a Julen tras acabar las obras para perforar los 60 metros de pozo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1