Found Deceased Spain - Julen Rosello, 2, fell into narrow and deep borehole, Totalán, 13 Jan 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the experts know better than I do? 10 days.... wow.

El rescate de Julen vuelve a atrasarse y podría ser el miércoles

The experts give a maximum of 10 days for there to be a miracle, which are met on Wednesday at 2:00 p.m.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rescue now enters the next phase. After the survey, now it's time to "jack up" the well. Pipes of six meters will be placed, between which the main complication is to fit the window to make the vertical gallery at the exact point of the 72 meters of depth. Before the entrance of the miners of Asturias it is necessary to make the mouth of the well and a work of filling the mountain. These tasks may take 12 or 14 hours. Among the tasks is the creation of a new work platform. García Vidal says that these works are not expected delays, because "they are not subject to external elements . "

If the deadlines are met, by midday on Tuesday, the horizontal gallery will begin to be excavated. «They have gone up to the last details of the operation. They are resting, because they have a hard job , "said the engineer on the Mining Rescue Brigade of Asturias. Eight troops that will have to dig four meters of gallery to 72 meters deep. With it they will reach the well 25 centimeters wide by 110 meters deep in which the small one is.

They will open a three meter window and, from there, they will look for little Julen between 71 and 74 meters . It is estimated that this excavation has a period of 24 hours, for the rescue goes to Wednesday at noon. As long as these deadlines are met.

its hard to understand how he fell into the well unless he stood directly on top or slipped from sitting on the edge, because if he was just walking or running over it and fell surely one leg would stick up and stop him, wedging him from falling further as its so narrow?

its hard to understand how he fell into the well unless he stood directly on top or slipped from sitting on the edge, because if he was just walking or running over it and fell surely one leg would stick up and stop him, wedging him from falling further as its so narrow?

I've wondered about that as well. (No pun intended.) When Jessica McClure fell in the well, she did indeed lodge with one leg up over her head, in sort of "splits" position. She ended up losing one toe to bad circulation in that event.

Gods only know what position Julen is in, or how far down he actually is.

This is nerve wracking. It must be a billion times worse for Julen's family and all those involved in the rescue.

Last edited:
They denounce the presence of more unsealed / covered wells in other points of # Málaga

LouDeFrogg on Twitter

Perhaps this video will help give a visual. It's terrifying. A little kid running and hitting it just right....

We actually have a well in our backyard. Have since my 28 year old brother could walk. It's above ground however and covered. It has a metal cover and then we added cement on top.

It doesn't stop me from worrying about it, even though my toddler isn't even aware it's out there.... and he'd have to navigate through thorns and bushes to reach it with no motivation to do so.

This. Also I just don't understand why this was considered a good location for a family paella picnic. It just looks like a barren wasteland to me. If you're going to illegally dig wells having young kids running around the area is really not a good idea.

This. Also I just don't understand why this was considered a good location for a family paella picnic. It just looks like a barren wasteland to me. If you're going to illegally dig wells having young kids running around the area is really not a good idea.

I don't think it looked like a "barren wasteland" before Julen fell in the borehole. I think it was jut a nice, rural-ish estate. Semi-arid. The vegetation and terrain in the area before it was so heavily excavated reminds me a bit of Phoenix, and a bit like the Himalayan foothills outside of Islamabad. If you aren't used to that sort of environment, it can be off-putting.

Now that I have spent so much time in a very lush & wet area of Australia, I do find myself surprised at the lack of "green" when I visit more arid areas. But they do have their own sort of beauty.

Edited to add: Is there ever a bad place for paella? ;) Yum!

I don't think it looked like a "barren wasteland" before Julen fell in the borehole. I think it was jut a nice, rural-ish estate. Semi-arid. The vegetation and terrain in the area before it was so heavily excavated reminds me a bit of Phoenix, and a bit like the Himalayan foothills outside of Islamabad. If you aren't used to that sort of environment, it can be off-putting.

Now that I have spent so much time in a very lush & wet area of Australia, I do find myself surprised at the lack of "green" when I visit more arid areas. But they do have their own sort of beauty.

Good point. I'm used to green land so the area does look very desolate to me. It would be interesting to see a photo of the area before any digging started perhaps it would look quite different.

yes not a great picnic spot, and it would be cold there too, no trees just dirt and not ideal with all the well holes, wouldnt they know to take care if its family land? and did julen fall with his arms above his head?
did the narrow sides rub his skin off as he slid down?
poor baby, hopefully this time tomorrow hes been found and miracolously alive!

Good point. I'm used to green land so the area does look very desolate to me. It would be interesting to see a photo of the area before any digging started perhaps it would look quite different.

Your wish is my command!

https://estaticos.efe.com/efecom/re...2fU5UaN4X0ml4aaU8B-P-2bBdqo-P-2bZSg-P-3d-P-3d

This is right at the start of the rescue so there are some trucks/heavy equipment there, but most of the natural terrain is shown.

I can't get the image to show any larger, maybe someone can help? But if you squint, you can see it is not as barren as it looks now that it's been torn up.

yes not a great picnic spot, and it would be cold there too, no trees just dirt and not ideal with all the well holes, wouldnt they know to take care if its family land? and did julen fall with his arms above his head?
did the narrow sides rub his skin off as he slid down?
poor baby, hopefully this time tomorrow hes been found and miracolously alive!

I think it wasn't as much a picnic, but an outdoor family meal at someone's home that adjoined this land. According to the climate info for the area, they days are rather balmy for winter.

((Not sure how cold it is there this time of year. Should check that.-- edit: checked!)) I keep forgetting it's winter in the northern hemisphere, especially since we are having an extraordinarily bad summer here in Australia.

As for his injuries... who knows. I envision all sorts of bad things, but I am trying not to give them rent in my brain.

Last edited:
Speaking of weather for Totalan, Spain I found this forecast:

Totalán Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for Andalusia Spain

So sort of cool, and definitely getting a bit chilly at night.

Now I am really worried about hypothermia. Even in slightly warmer temperatures, hypothermia can occur due to immobilisation, dampness, etc.

Last edited:
El rescate de Julen, el niño que cayó a un pozo, en directo
9:55
The former head of the rescue brigade of Hunosa has assured in Herrera in COPE that the miners who have moved to Totalán to rescue Julen from the well "have the desire to start and if everything goes well, throughout the day will begin the rescue work ». He points out that the team "is prepared psychologically and physically" and points out that "they are accustomed to mining and confined spaces are not going to be any problem".

Your wish is my command!

https://estaticos.efe.com/efecom/re...2fU5UaN4X0ml4aaU8B-P-2bBdqo-P-2bZSg-P-3d-P-3d

This is right at the start of the rescue so there are some trucks/heavy equipment there, but most of the natural terrain is shown.

I can't get the image to show any larger, maybe someone can help? But if you squint, you can see it is not as barren as it looks now that it's been torn up.

That picture looks exactly like an old orchard moo, and that will explain old wells. When I was in spain I saw orange, lemons and almond orchards everywhere. I visited non tourist village in the country side. It was amazing.

That picture looks exactly like an old orchard moo, and that will explain old wells. When I was in spain I saw orange, lemons and almond orchards everywhere. I visited non tourist village in the country side. It was amazing.

Yes, I think the green spots on that tiny picture I found are citrus-- they look just like that in Phoenix (or at least the Phoenix of my girlhood, before it got so huge).

I envy your trip to Spain! It's on my bucket list. I've ancestry in Spain so I am keen to visit and immerse myself in the culture and history. Any special place you'd recommend?

Last edited:
Yes, I think the green spots on that tiny picture I found are definitely citrus-- they look just like that in Phoenix (or at least the Phoenix of my girlhood, before it got so huge).

I envy your trip to Spain! It's on my bucket list. I've ancestry in Spain so I am keen to visit and immerse myself in the culture and history. Any special place you'd recommend?

I was in the Alicante region on a retreat, so I din´t see anything outside the village I was in. I would avoid places like Benidorm at all cost, just ugly hotels. I heard that Barcelona is very popular for touristing in a big city, my mother was born there. I am really not much of help here.

I was in the Alicante region on a retreat, so I din´t see anything outside the village I was in. I would avoid places like Benidorm at all cost, just ugly hotels. I heard that Barcelona is very popular for touristing in a big city, my mother was born there. I am really not much of help here.

Oh no! That was quite helpful! I'd rather not see ugly hotels, and definitely want to see Barcelona. It's cool that your mum was born there!

One of my favourite parts of travelling is eating. Any good Spanish delicacies I ought to try?

The miners will begin digging the horizontal gallery on Tuesday to try to reach the child, after the completion and refurbishment of the parallel tunnel to which the child fell, tasks that are suffering a small delay due to technical problems

The tenth day of work in the search for Julen continues without rest . Since last night at 10.00 pm, work began on the adaptation of the parallel tunnel through which the experienced rescue miners of Asturias will descend . The tasks consist in securing the platform elevating it 12 metersfrom where the drilling machine has worked and coating it inside with ten metallic cylinders of six meters. According to official sources, the jacket is being delayed due to technical problems, apparently related to the size of the tubes and the way in which they fit together. At the moment the dimension of this new setback is unknown. This work was going to last initially between twelve and fourteen hours.

El rescate de Julen entra en su recta final

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member