Stars of TLCs Sister Wives Under Investigation

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A brothel or a harem.

I got the impression Robin was moved down the street because they wanted to ease her into the home, the home wasn't really set up for 4 wives and they were rearranging it, and I wonder where does Kody keep his clothes? Which wife's bedroom? Does Kody have a separate bedroom of his own in the house?

He said in one of the episodes that he has clothes in each of their closets and it's a pain having to try to remember which clothes are where.

Wow. What a dilemma.

He said in one of the episodes that he has clothes in each of their closets and it's a pain having to try to remember which clothes are where.

Wow. What a dilemma.

He said the same in People. :sick:

These ladies are willing to put up with this church sanctioned arrangement-I hope they have a plan B if everyone is charged and starts having to appear before judges. Now, I am certain TLC will be picking up the expenses as part of the original contract.

I dont think I can watch TLC anymore because of these shows...

Well, I'm obviously in the minority here, but I have watched the show and actually like it. Even more, I actually like the family. (Admittedly, I like the women on the show, the so-called 'Sister Wives', more than I like Kody himself).

Sixty years ago, society frowned upon divorced women, and treated them with distrust, as if they were 'loose', desperate, immoral. Even when she and her children had been abandoned by the husband for another woman.

Much more recently than sixty years ago, a black person could not marry a white person, without both fearing enormous repercussions.

Just a few decades ago, adopted children were not viewed as equally by outsiders as a couples biological children. There were seen by many as 'less' than.

A couple living together without the 'benefit' of marriage (back then referred to as 'living in sin') was absolutely scandalous.

A child born 'out of wedlock' was openly called a '*advertiser censored*'.

Right now, gay couples are struggling to be accepted, and their unions recognized.

Tolerance is a virtue.
Who am I to sit in judgement of what constitutes a family?

I just wanted to add...

I was a bit surprised at the sheer volume of negative reactions while reading the posts of this thread.

Even though I personally have never been part of a gay couple, or a bi-racial couple, or a polygamous relationship, etc., I do not condemn people who are.

Would I want to be a 'Sister Wife'? Absolutely not.

But, I do find the show interesting, and even enlightening.

I'm always a bit curious to learn how other people live there lives- especially when they live them differently than I do mine.

Well, I'm obviously in the minority here, but I have watched the show and actually like it. Even more, I actually like the family. (Admittedly, I like the women on the show, the so-called 'Sister Wives', more than I like Kody himself).

Sixty years ago, society frowned upon divorced women, and treated them with distrust, as if they were 'loose', desperate, immoral. Even when she and her children had been abandoned by the husband for another woman.

Much more recently than sixty years ago, a black person could not marry a white person, without both fearing enormous repercussions.

Just a few decades ago, adopted children were not viewed as equally by outsiders as a couples biological children. There were seen by many as 'less' than.

A couple living together without the 'benefit' of marriage (back then referred to as 'living in sin') was absolutely scandalous.

A child born 'out of wedlock' was openly called a '*advertiser censored*'.

Right now, gay couples are struggling to be accepted, and their unions recognized.

Tolerance is a virtue.
Who am I to sit in judgement of what constitutes a family?

I just wanted to add...

I was a bit surprised at the sheer volume of negative reactions while reading the posts of this thread.

Even though I personally have never been part of a gay couple, or a bi-racial couple, or a polygamous relationship, etc., I do not condemn people who are.

Would I want to be a 'Sister Wife'? Absolutely not.

But, I do find the show interesting, and even enlightening.

I'm always a bit curious to learn how other people live there lives- especially when they live them differently than I do mine.

These are interesting and welcome positions...but one of the examples cited is not completely about choice-such as with a gay couple.

This debate reminds me a little about legalizing prostitution-sounds like a good idea on paper until you start scratching the surface and realize that the balance of power is substantially weighted to one side. Still. People who prostitute themselves rarely do it as a result of informed choices. It is more likely to be poverty, abuse and desperation that drives them too it.

In a polygamous marriage or relationship like this one, the balance of power is again heavily weighted to one side...so I am curious as to if the women are issue of polygamous marriages themselves. Because relationships between two partners are tough enough to negotiate-I cannot even imagine the quality of the relationships between multiple partners. Kody strikes me as being someone who feels the need to prove his "manhood" to the world. So then I ask myself...:angel:

In a polygamous marriage or relationship like this one, the balance of power is again heavily weighted to one side...so I am curious as to if the women are issue of polygamous marriages themselves. Because relationships between two partners are tough enough to negotiate-I cannot even imagine the quality of the relationships between multiple partners. Kody strikes me as being someone who feels the need to prove his "manhood" to the world. So then I ask myself...:angel:
Above post respectfully snipped and bolded by smart blonde...

I hear what you are saying, believe09, and agree with much of it.

But, historically, monogamous marriage has also had the balance of power weighted heavily on one side- the side of the male. (Anyone who has ever seen an episode of I Love Lucy or All in the Family would recognize that -lol!).

Even by examining the title of " Mrs. "..... it originated as " Mr's ", as in 'belonging to' a specific man. I admit, I'm pulling this info from probably the 16th century, but I'm sure you get my point.

Up until my grandparent's generation, it was improper to address a married couple as anything less than " Mr. and Mrs. His Name " (not her's).

Societal mores have relaxed quite a bit in this country over the past few decades, but traditionally, and even legally, marriage has been a male dominated institution. It still is in much of the world.

The difference with this particular family, compared to other FLDS families we have read about in the news, is the wives had a choice to enter into the marriage with this man as a partner. It wasn't forced upon them.
They were of legal age. They even have a choice to leave the marriage , if they so choose.

IMHO, the government has no business interfering in the lives of consenting adults and who they wish to build a life with.

I am appalled at the "compound" type lifestyle where girls are forced to marry dirty old men in the name of God, but that is not the Brown family situation. All of the wives were adults and willingly chose this lifestyle. Hell, in some interviews Christine comes off as the opportunistic one since she "wanted a family but not a husband". More power to her.

When our government starts prosecuting athletes, politicians & celebrities who have multiple relationships & children from different mothers....yeah right. Like THAT'S ever going to happen!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1375317/Baby-18-way-Sister-Wives-star-Kody-Brown-wife-number-Robyn.html

Baby 17 on the way for Sister Wives star Kody Brown as fourth wife Robyn falls pregnant

Anyone else think he looks a bit like Gordon Ramsay?

article-0-0B8EE1C200000578-618_468x680.jpg

article-1375317-0B8EE1C600000578-762_468x286.jpg

How does this man support 4 wives and soon-to-be-17 children? And build a house like he has... Is he wealthy? I've never seen the show, and don't plan to, but I would like to know about the finances. Before the tv show.

How does this man support 4 wives and soon-to-be-17 children? And build a house like he has... Is he wealthy? I've never seen the show, and don't plan to, but I would like to know about the finances. Before the tv show.

I've not watched the show either, but I've heard about it. I think the wives work, and he has a job in advertising.

I wanted authentic historical accuracy on religious polygamy when I researched the Mountain Meadow Massacre perpetrated by Mormons on an innocent wagon train headed for California. Some polygamists gained wives through executing husbands of coveted women and then taking them as wives and some through raping and thereby 'spoiling' women for anyone else. Then they murdered innocents and stole their material wealth to support their multiple wives and children. There are plenty of written accounts, including legal documents from the trials. In modern times, many "support" their families by taking all the welfare, housing aid, food stamps, and public healthcare they are entitled to as "single parents". So, in these cases, as in the FLDS offshoot, they are supported by a chunk out of everyone of my earned paycheck's, and from yours.

It makes interesting reading if you like to
research history.

That article explains what I don't 'get' about the show. I never see any mention of the 'faith' and isn't that the whole purpose of polygamy?

Anybody notice how 'off the radar' this bunch has been since the approach of the Warren Jeffs trial? Kinda makes you wonder.......

I don't understand how the money works either
I know with the Warren Jeffs that they are all on welfare
I hate that !

To explain better
They want no gov involvement an yet they take everything they can get
Food stamps , money , heating . I feel if they should support themselves!
These women dont work as part of their 'religion' Give me a break . If there is nothing wrong with them then they should have a job and support themselves

I think in one episode, we saw the families holding "family church." I don't know if that's what they called it, but that's about what it was. The kids kneeled on the floor, and they were praying about something, with Kody assuming the role of the minister.

I think the Duggar's do the same thing (home-church type setting, with father assuming the ministerial role).

Kind of bothersome to me, because the situation is too "closed" -- how do you know (unless you've received a college degee in theology or atteneded seminary) that you are interpreting the Bible accurately?

That article explains what I don't 'get' about the show. I never see any mention of the 'faith' and isn't that the whole purpose of polygamy?

No, religion is the purpose of monogamy. Polygamy is the natural state of the human animal, just like allmost any other animal. Males fight for dominance and to hold a harem. Weaker males who can't win females in such a contest don't pass their genes on, and in that way it ensures the survival of the fittest.

Monogamy is a more recent invention and correlates with the invention of religion.

Even by examining the title of " Mrs. "..... it originated as " Mr's ", as in 'belonging to' a specific man. I admit, I'm pulling this info from probably the 16th century, but I'm sure you get my point.

Up until my grandparent's generation, it was improper to address a married couple as anything less than " Mr. and Mrs. His Name " (not her's).

I really thought a lot had changed during the 1970's, but women seem to be going backwards on this issue. Without thinking, I took my husband's last name in 1973. I was never happy with that arrangement but the paperwork was all done before I actually even thought about it. For the next 9 years I had to use a last name that had nothing to do with who I was.

I vowed to never make that mistake again. When I re-married we both hyphenated our last names like John and Yoko Ono-Lennon did. I felt a lot better about that!

I always used my maiden name on my photography. It turned out to be a good decision because that marriage was short lived!

I can offer no explanation for why women today have gone back to the 'Mrs' thing. To me it seems to not serve any purpose other than to rob you of your identity and label you as someone's property.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB
Back