Stars of TLCs Sister Wives Under Investigation

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I thought he was only legally married to one?

A Utah family with four wives had hoped its participation on a TLC reality TV show would shed light on polygamy. But now that it is the target of a bigamy investigation by Utah police, one advocate worries that the probe will instill fear in other plural families about going public with their lives.

"Sister Wives," which premiered Sunday, chronicles the life of 41-year-old advertising salesman Kody Brown, his four wives, 13 children and three stepchildren. The Browns have said they hoped that the peek into their lives would help broaden the public's understanding of plural families.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100929/ap_en_tv/us_sister_wives_investigation

This is so funny in a weird twisted way-instilling fear in plural families going public. I suppose they have Kody to thank for the scrutiny....I think there is an awful lot to sort out about "plural" families before the laws are scrutinized. JMVHO.

This is so funny in a weird twisted way-instilling fear in plural families going public. I suppose they have Kody to thank for the scrutiny....I think there is an awful lot to sort out about "plural" families before the laws are scrutinized. JMVHO.

IMO, the laws don't need to be scrutinized....the "plural" families do. There is a reason they don't go public:

a) It is illegal
b) It is not socially acceptable

There are a couple of communities in the western US that are well-known polygamist communities. Attempts to dismantle them and protect the children have not been successful, so they are largely left to themselves. Sadly.

Droves of teenaged boys have been driven from these communities. Banished for some trumped up infraction. They are turned out with no resources, no skills, no ability to live in the "real" world. Torn from their families and all they have ever known. And by whom? The "elder" men. Hmmmmm. Now, why would that be?

It sickens me. And to think they use their "religion" to further their own perverted desires sickens me even more.

The members of the "family" on this show were quite aware that their "lifestyle" would not be acceptable to people they knew. They have hidden it for a loooooong time. Whatever your lifestyle, when is it ever a good thing to hide your true self from those in your life?

Watched it once just to see. :shudder:
Too freaky for me.
No more.
moo

Haven't watched it, don't intend to.

I don't really have any opinion on the lifestyle whatsoever. What people do behind closed doors is their business. As for the children, at least they are provided for in terms of necessities and that is much better than some of the cases that make the radar.

JMO

I'm not planning on watching the show, but saw the previews. Three of those wives do look related and they all look way too chirpy and wild eyed. Looks like a creepy show IMO. It was weird when the one wife said "well, bye golly they better bed", when asked about hubby having sex with another wife.

Haven't watched it, don't intend to.

I don't really have any opinion on the lifestyle whatsoever. What people do behind closed doors is their business. As for the children, at least they are provided for in terms of necessities and that is much better than some of the cases that make the radar.

JMO

Just a little time spent on WS tells us horrific things go on behind closed doors. I hope we don't all close our eyes to whatever those things may be.

I think they are doing it "for the show".

They're actually pretty well known here in Utah. They've been practicing polygamy for just about as long as I can remember..definitely well before the show. My husband and I have seen him and at least one or two of the wives out in public several times. They may be "playing it up" for the show..but he has definitely been involved in this lifestyle for well over 5 years.

I'll bet anything that Kody has seen "Big Love"... and "19 Kids and Counting"...and that at some point he "brainstormed" (the thought of which makes me laugh, as he doesn't seem all that bright- more like a two-bit hustler!)
and began seeing $$$ before his eyes! I'm certain that doing this show was ALL his idea and I can imagine the "family meeting" where it was shoved down everyone's throats. Like the Duggars, he seems to hide/avoid going in-depth about his religious beliefs- he wants it to SEEM like the women have an equal say in everything, but I'll bet what Kody says, goes- big time. Strangely, I can understand the wives getting upset over his kissing the newbie-- as small a thing as it seems, he is already 'breaking the rules'- HIS rules!- and giving the new conquest 'special attention'- the wives must be wondering 'what's next??'
I'll bet a year or two later, he will get the 'calling' to get another, even younger, 'cuter' wife, a Margene (for those familiar with Big Love)!! Does anyone know if this family gets food stamps or Medicaid??

Meri just always seems on the verge of tears and/or a nervous breakdown, I can see her hightailing it out of there..the other 2 seem to have stockholm syndrome or something.

I'm not planning on watching the show, but saw the previews. Three of those wives do look related and they all look way too chirpy and wild eyed. Looks like a creepy show IMO. It was weird when the one wife said "well, bye golly they better bed", when asked about hubby having sex with another wife.

Yeah... weird and IMO disturbing thing to say. [I'd gouge his eyes out!!] Maybe this setup works for them - at least the first three seemed comfortable enough with the situation but adding Robyn is WOW! How could the pregnant wife not be furious? Kody packs up to spend weekend with Robyn while the women stay home and rearrange furniture for new baby? WTH????!! Then they ALL help Robyn move? No way... no way on this earth would I be fine with that. Kody is disgusting but he sure has a nice deal for HIMSELF. He comes off as the cat that ate the canary but I feel sad for the wives. What kind of self esteem do they have to tolerate a fool like Kody? I am glad the one daughter said she would not have a polygamous relationship - she wanted one husband/one wife. I hope they don't change her mind.

I want to add that since these people are airing their story on television -- then they have to accept there will be opinions about their setup. I'd bet a lot of men would think it looks like a good deal but I don't know any women that would want that kind of life. Personally I think it is gross and very disturbing.

Yeah... weird and IMO disturbing thing to say. [I'd gouge his eyes out!!] Maybe this setup works for them - at least the first three seemed comfortable enough with the situation but adding Robyn is WOW! How could the pregnant wife not be furious? Kody packs up to spend weekend with Robyn while the women stay home and rearrange furniture for new baby? WTH????!! Then they ALL help Robyn move? No way... no way on this earth would I be fine with that. Kody is disgusting but he sure has a nice deal for HIMSELF. He comes off as the cat that ate the canary but I feel sad for the wives. What kind of self esteem do they have to tolerate a fool like Kody? I am glad the one daughter said she would not have a polygamous relationship - she wanted one husband/one wife. I hope they don't change her mind.

I want to add that since these people are airing their story on television -- then they have to accept there will be opinions about their setup. I'd bet a lot of men would think it looks like a good deal but I don't know any women that would want that kind of life. Personally I think it is gross and very disturbing.

I agree with you miimaa, but if you watch the episodes, the wives state that they had no intention of getting involved with a "single" man, i.e. one without multiple wives....Christine even says she only wanted to be wife #3 - not #1 or #2 :waitasec: and had many "single" suitors before she married Kody, but turned every one of them down cold....

It is certainly a strange situation to me, and not one I would be tolerant of, but each and every one of these women grew up in a polygamist lifestyle.

As you mentioned the one daughter is not cool with it, but I would love to hear what the oldest boy's opinion is of polygamy. :innocent:

My neighbor (female) would kill for an arrangement like the one on the show. Not all women are against it...obviously. This is polygamy. Yes, it's illegal, yes, it's perceived as morally wrong, but is it really any different from any of the other alternative households out there? Not really, as far as I'm concerned.

As I stated before, it may not be the best for the kids, and that does give me pause, but if nothing overtly sexual is done in front of them, it really doesn't seem that different from any other alternative situation. If I'm missing something, explain it to me.

My neighbor (female) would kill for an arrangement like the one on the show. Not all women are against it...obviously. This is polygamy. Yes, it's illegal, yes, it's perceived as morally wrong, but is it really any different from any of the other alternative households out there? Not really, as far as I'm concerned.

As I stated before, it may not be the best for the kids, and that does give me pause, but if nothing overtly sexual is done in front of them, it really doesn't seem that different from any other alternative situation. If I'm missing something, explain it to me.

I can see the benefits and the drawbacks to living this lifestyle. Would I want to live this way? No, but forgive me if I daydream about having a bunch of people around to help with the housework. :angel:

My husband laughed when he saw the show and said if he had four wives he would go around with a big dopey grin on his face too. :D

Cody's first wife looks far from happy and mentioned that she would leave the marriage, but doesn't want to upset her daughter. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Before I saw this show I never in a million years would imagine how it could be or that I would ever think such an arrangement could be good in any way. After watching it, I admit I envy the companionship and friendship, help with cooking and cleaning and child care. Like Meri, I would absolutely have a problem with jealousy though. She is very hurt and torn and in pain. It is brutally obvious.

As I stated before, it may not be the best for the kids, and that does give me pause, but if nothing overtly sexual is done in front of them, it really doesn't seem that different from any other alternative situation. If I'm missing something, explain it to me.[/QUOTE]

(above bbm)
What it does is give the kids a skewed view of what a traditional marriage is. When they look at daddy, they don't see "daddy and mommy" they see "daddy and mommies". This can't be normal. It isn't. So for these kids, their idea of marriage is now altered. It's no longer, "hey, when I grow up, I want to be a mommy (or daddy)." It's, "when I grow up, I'm gonna have 10 wives!" Or, "When I grow up, I'm gonna be in a housefull of mommies, and one daddy!" And that's just the beginning.

People who say that this is not harming or affecting the kids are only seeing what they want to see, for whatever reason.

As I stated before, it may not be the best for the kids, and that does give me pause, but if nothing overtly sexual is done in front of them, it really doesn't seem that different from any other alternative situation. If I'm missing something, explain it to me.[/QUOTE]

(above bbm)
What it does is give the kids a skewed view of what a traditional marriage is. When they look at daddy, they don't see "daddy and mommy" they see "daddy and mommies". This can't be normal. It isn't. So for these kids, their idea of marriage is now altered. It's no longer, "hey, when I grow up, I want to be a mommy (or daddy)." It's, "when I grow up, I'm gonna have 10 wives!" Or, "When I grow up, I'm gonna be in a housefull of mommies, and one daddy!" And that's just the beginning.

People who say that this is not harming or affecting the kids are only seeing what they want to see, for whatever reason.

And I understand that, but that's what I don't understand is how that is any different from any other non-traditional family. Homosexual couples with children, single parent households, unmarried couples raising children...I don't see the differences on that level, except that it's more people in the immediate households.

Most children have more than two people that are involved in their raising, be it grandparents, aunts and uncles, close family friends. How is this different? That really is my only question.

And I understand that, but that's what I don't understand is how that is any different from any other non-traditional family. Homosexual couples with children, single parent households, unmarried couples raising children...I don't see the differences on that level, except that it's more people in the immediate households.

Most children have more than two people that are involved in their raising, be it grandparents, aunts and uncles, close family friends. How is this different? That really is my only question.

The difference is that it's not illegal or socially unacceptable to be a single or gay parent. They aren't in situations where they have to hide their lifestyles and force their children to do the same. And you're right, most children have extended family members who are integral in their upbringing, but their fathers are not having sexual relations with all of them!

These folks already have one daughter who has no interest in being in a plural marriage when she grows up. But how is she going to learn about a more traditional marriage? How is she going to be socially exposed to young men outside of the polygamist lifestyle?

I feel it is another way of isolating females in relationships, if they don't need outside help such as extended family and friends, they are isolated and kept from the outside world and may not experience other points of view other than the husband's. jmo, naturally.

I think you nailed it ohiogirl. These women are forced to be friends with one another and cooperate in that they are isolated. Beyond that they are sharing a man which raises very natural emotions of jealousy. Now in a lot of polygamous families I have read about, the sh++ rolls down hill, in that the first wife has more power than the second wife etc. The children can be treated accordingly-just because child care is shared does not mean that a bond exists between non bio mother and child. That is something we see everyday on the boards.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharlafields
Back