Stars of TLCs Sister Wives Under Investigation

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have watched this show a few times when completely bored, LOL, and it's my perception that they all work. But money of course is in short supply, and on one episode they showed a huge pantry full of bulk canned goods. I'm sure running that kitchen is like running a restaurant 24 hours a day with all those kids.

I think if any of the women aren't working on any given day, they have to stay home and watch all the kids and help them with their homework.

And there was an episode in which the hubby went off on a honeymoon to California which must have been very expensive, while the other wives and kids stayed home and had to stretch the money to pay for it. Lots of grumbling at home on that show, LOL. :crazy:

I do worry about the kids, not just that they aren't getting much individual attention, but that they will be pressured to have the same lifestyle. The guy and the first wife were childhood sweethearts, but they decided to add another wife because the husband's father was in a polygamous relationship.

In the Utah home,each wife and her kids had their own living quarters within the home that included a seperate kitchen and bedrooms.
. They didn't all just blend for everything. Christine usually cooks dinner for everyone and takes care of whatever kids are at home and not in school,but each mom,with Kody ,handles the responsibilities for her own children.

IMO there are families with 2 working parents who get less attention than these kids get. The kids all seem very cool and outspoken themselves.

JMO

I always wondered the same thing. Most families with a few children and both spouses working, can barely afford to even get by. But because Kody is legally only married to one wife, the others can probably get public assistance of some kind.

I always liked Mary (or Meri) best. I can only think she had very low self esteem to go along with the 'sister wife' thing. And you can see that a lot of bad feelings arise when Kody spends more time with one or another of them. Just an observation.

Meri was raised in a polygamist family.Kody was not.It was Meri who wanted it and Meri who pushed the idea of the last wife joining the family .

I completely respect your values. From what I've seen of the show ,this is more about the women's bond than a guy with 4 wives. They aren't there to meet his every need . They have come together to meet their families needs.

It's not what I would choose,but I could definitely be friends with them. I wouldn't say that about the Warren Jeffs type of polygamy. That's a sick cult,IMO.

I still think tlc should do a funny show

my family
trying to make my 47 year old husband do his homework and my 7 year old do his homework

last night adding fractions lol hubby telling me i am just making numbers out of the air, he said there so such numbers 9/20 + 3/5
I can read a tape measure lol
he said tell me how many college degrees know how to read a tape measure,
he is just getting frustrated

I think it would make a good show watching a 47 year old try to get his ged
quit school at 17 to get a job and support his first baby, certified welder same company for 20 years went out of business

but can not find a good job because he does not have his ged

see me doing cartwheels when my son writes his b's and d's right lol

sorry ot
sister wives just has never interested me

"sister" wives in no way correlates to "celestial" child brides taken by a pedophile.
moo

They are nuts..what man is worth all that?? If these goofy gals want to share a husband..fine..but throw 17 kids in there and its just wrong..why must people bring kids in to their dysfunction. They dont ask for it.

They are nuts..what man is worth all that?? If these goofy gals want to share a husband..fine..but throw 17 kids in there and its just wrong..why must people bring kids in to their dysfunction. They dont ask for it.

While I totally agree with you, these folks (along with so many others) don't have a clue that there is dysfunction. They are simply "following God" as they (and their group) interpret the Bible and the Book of Mormon. (You could also insert the name of many other "holy books" in place of the Bible/Book of Mormon to address other groups--and no, I am not anti-religion.)

Meri was raised in a polygamist family.Kody was not.It was Meri who wanted it and Meri who pushed the idea of the last wife joining the family .

I completely respect your values. From what I've seen of the show ,this is more about the women's bond than a guy with 4 wives. They aren't there to meet his every need . They have come together to meet their families needs.

It's not what I would choose,but I could definitely be friends with them. I wouldn't say that about the Warren Jeffs type of polygamy. That's a sick cult,IMO.

I'm wondering if Meri pushed the last wife because maybe Kody was a bit too fond of the previous last wife, lol. There just has to be lots of passive-aggressive undercurrents going on there. I really do NOT believe it is a healthy situation for ANY of them, including Kody himself.

While I totally agree with you, these folks (along with so many others) don't have a clue that there is dysfunction. They are simply "following God" as they (and their group) interpret the Bible and the Book of Mormon. (You could also insert the name of many other "holy books" in place of the Bible/Book of Mormon to address other groups--and no, I am not anti-religion.)

Good Point Pandora.. I did not look at it that way..its not dysfunctional to them. I still think they are nuts..:crazy:

i think polygamy should be outlawed period .. theres no excuse for a man to be married to more than one woman period .. its not healthy for children it teaches them terrible morals about love and faith and takes away the freedom they have as a usa citizen to be free to decide what they want to do with thier lives .. adam had no more than one wife her name was eve .. this is just mens and womens way to be entertained by other lovers and not get busted cheating and going through divorces and they also fleece the state aid programs too .. since the man lives with and marries all the women he is entitled to the benefits thus he doenst have to work .. this is my opinion of it and i have no interest in further researching polygamy...yeeeeuuuuuckkkk its different tho because one morning the kids wake up and rush into daddys room to kiss him goodmorning and theres a different woman in bed with him everyday ? that isnt something children should be seeing .. that is totally different than gp and or aunts and uncles being involved in a family situation imho... even most homosexuals have ONE partner that the child sees everyday ..and single mothers that have multiple partners that stay the night with them should not do that around thier kids unless they are sleeping and the man is GONE before they get up..

and the religious leader and has the final say in all decisions. The first wife does not seem happy to me and she also often seems to be made to feel "lesser" because she had only one child. They all seemed to have jealousy issues with the new wife, Robin (I think her name is) but they have to fight against that as that is their lot in life and jealousy is wrong and it's their "duty" to deal with it, to accept whatever woman their man decides strikes his fancy.

Once I heard Kody say it grossed him out and was basically unthinkable for his women to ever have another man I knew this was just another misogynistic cult devised by men and disguised as religion.

From what I heard the wives had all been exposed to the polygamous lifestyle growing up and each considered it normal to some extent. Now they are raising an ever growing number of children in the same environment where women are essentially commodities to acquire and breed to gain more children to populate a planet in the celestial kingdom where the men will rule as Gods.

Sorry, I'm not buying that it is even a real choice. If your religion teaches this is the highest and best way to heaven, to share your husband and let him take other wives then is it really a free choice? The highest level of heaven is supposedly reserved for practitioners of polygamy so how do you deny that to your husband, your family? Free choice or con job?

I have read some history of Mormon polygamy and I didn't see much evidence that women enjoyed polygamy but rather they considered it their religious duty.

Mormon women viewed polygamy as "a religious duty and schooled themselves to bear its discomforts as a sort of religious penance, and that it was a matter of pride to make everybody believe they lived happily and to persuade themselves and others that it was not a trial; and that long life of such discipline makes the trial lighter."

I would also note that even mainstream Mormons believe that polygamy will be practiced in the "celestial kingdom".

According to an article in the April 20, 2008 edition of the Salt Lake Tribune:

“.. And by policy, men can be ‘sealed’ for eternity in LDS temple rites to more than one wife, though women are permitted only a single sealing. Three of the church's current apostles, for example, were widowed and remarried. Each will have two wives in the eternities” (“Modern-day Mormons disavow polygamy”).

I also find the show very scripted. Much of it seems to be sit down taped "discussions" where their problems are ironed out and people often become emotional but then it all gets resolved. I see Kody basically being a big kid who is still grappling with adolescent testosterone urges. The women seem much more mature and responsible although he remains their leader because he's a man and they're not.

Honestly, the whole thing makes me ill...

While I respect the views of others, I don't support a lifestyle where women put themselves in such a demeaning position -- and while you may think that they're outspoken and have their say, what kind of life is it for them to have to "share" one man between the 4 of them? (Like he's such a prize!). And what message does that send to the children, both the girls and the boys of the family?

I saw maybe 2 episodes
I thought they were likeable
I still dont get why they brought in another wife and now she is having a baby too.
2 of the women seem very close and they do almost seem like sisters .
All in all though they seem to honestly like each other .
I couldnt do it but whatever floats ya boat

I started posting though to ask if anyone saw the Raising Hope episode where the nephew shows up with brother husbands and one wife ? LOL It was cute

I was always under the impression that you can only be legally married to one person. So any other marriage after that would be a religious marriage and not a legal one. In that respect, no laws have been broken. So, what's the big deal now?

Personally, I think he's kinda cheesy. Other than that, as long as they aren't hurting anyone, the children are being cared for, and taxes are getting paid, what do I care?

In fact, I applaud them for standing up for what they believe in. Good for them.

I was always under the impression that you can only be legally married to one person. So any other marriage after that would be a religious marriage and not a legal one. In that respect, no laws have been broken. So, what's the big deal now?

Personally, I think he's kinda cheesy. Other than that, as long as they aren't hurting anyone, the children are being cared for, and taxes are getting paid, what do I care?

In fact, I applaud them for standing up for what they believe in. Good for them.

(above bbm)
But how do we know the children aren't being hurt? Not physically, but emotionally, mentally, psychologically. What is living this type of lifestyled doing to their minds, their thoughts and perceptions? The girls are going to grow up thinking, "I must submit to men. I am a doormat." The boys are going to be thinking, "Ahhh...I see. This is how we treat women." They didn't ask to be put in this situation -- there was no "choice" for them. If the parents want mess up their own psyche's, fine. But don't drag innocent kids into it.

I think my biggest problem is that these people are fundamentally dishonest about their "lifestyle". It is based on their religion yet they refuse to discuss their religion. The reasons WHY people do things are as important as what they do. I feel like they just want to present themselves, their personalities and show they are normal, intelligent, caring people. Fine, but WHY do you need to live in polygamy? What motivates you? It's their religious beliefs which they don't want to discuss. WHY?

In an interview with the SLT polygamy writer Kody said some things about the "lifestyle" and religion:

The faith one is a difficult one because it’s a faith-based lifestyle and as I have gone through this for 20 years of marriage with Meri, 16 with Christine, 17 with Janelle and now Robyn’s come into the family, I would look back on the whole thing and say I would do it for love. Because I’ve got these beautiful children, I’ve got these beautiful wives and I’m very happy with my situation.

Okay, so that’s the love. But then it’s faith-based . . .

Kody: But it is faith-based and anybody who understands Fundamentalist Mormons are going to kind of know why. But to protect the , , ,

Isn't it important for everyone to "kind of know why?" Why do a show about polygamy if you refuse to discuss the why? Perhaps because then you will all look a lot less "normal" and acceptable. The interview ends with:
Janelle: That is the goal of this whole thing. The show really is about saying there is more than you know that is going on here.
But they refuse to tell us what IS going on here. And the why they do it is my problem. They do it because Brigham Young made up a religion that basically mandated polygamy to get into the highest realm of heaven. I see the whole thing as a coercive con job. Whether any individual in the "lifestyle" is happy or not is not the issue. The issue is making people believe they must live this lifestyle to get to the "best" heaven.

The Brown's are part of the Apostolic United Brethren although they won't ever talk about it. The AUB is one of three main groups of polygamists in Utah.

About 80 percent of the polygamist population in Utah belongs to three groups, the Colorado City group, the Allred group (Apostolic United Brethren) and the Kingston group.

The AUB was headed by Owen Allred until his death in 2005. he and the leader of a competing group were described in an article:

Both initiate programs in which young girls are inculcated with the belief that the only way they can achieve a celestial glory is through plural marriage and subservience to priesthood, their priesthood.

Again, WHY people, especially women, choose this lifestyle is what is important. Sister Wives is an entertainment show and masks the truth behind this "lifestyle" IMO.

I agree with the person who writes sisterwivesblogspot.com (which i just found today actually) http://sisterwivesblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/sister-wives-and-lifestyle.html

They want you to think it’s a choice. Then you can watch the show, be happy, and think, well, if they are happy, who’s it hurting? Well, if you are not a Mormon, and you learn all the facts about Celestial Marriage, chances are you will see how it DOES hurt the women and children.

As has been stated by many posts, in Fundamental Mormonism, a woman MUST be married or sealed to a man to get to their heaven, which is a PLANET. On that planet, the man is exalted to the God like being. (I shudder when I say that) If her husband doesn’t call her name, they’ll be no heaven for her, um I mean Planet. Husband taking you to heaven, this is what they don’t want you to think about. And much more - that's why we are looking into the religion.

Boytwnmom:

Not sure if this is the blog you were referring to or not:
http://www.lessthanreality.com/2011/06/sister-wives-starting-again-in-vegas.html

It provides a recap of their life in Vegas. One of the things that bothers me about it, though, is the blogger keeps stating that Meri "can't" have more children. I could swear that in an earlier episode (back when Meri and Kody were going away for some "alone"time for their anniversary), they had discussed having another child via IVF. Now, I know that's a lot more complicated than having a child the standard way. Just saying that I'm not sure Meri "can't" have more kids, rather that she "won't" have more kids, if this is what she has to do to do it.

And re: the last part of your post above:
As has been stated by many posts, in Fundamental Mormonism, a woman MUST be married or sealed to a man to get to their heaven, which is a PLANET. On that planet, the man is exalted to the God like being. (I shudder when I say that) If her husband doesn’t call her name, they’ll be no heaven for her, um I mean Planet. Husband taking you to heaven, this is what they don’t want you to think about. And much more - that's why we are looking into the religion.

Do they seriously not realize how ridiculous this sounds?? People have been locked away in mental institutions for thinking less outlandish things....

I don't feel comfortable pointing out principles in other people's religion and saying they are wrong, silly or unsound. I don't think it's my place to do that. I know that there are things in most religions that seem amazing, but people believe it because they have faith it is true. Some people would take issue with the raising of the dead, but we believe it as Christians, because the Bible says Jesus was risen from the dead. Regular Mormons believe in heavenly families too. They believe they are sealed for all eternity. They also believe in Baptism for the dead. Some would frown on it, but I think it's their right to believe the teachings of their own religion, as long as it does not harm others.

Meri has said many times on the show that there is nothing physcially wrong with her that prevents her or Kody from geting her pregnant. They both have been tested, but for some reason it doesn't happen. She's very upset and unhappy, because she has wanted more children for a good while now. I think she said that even though she wants more children, she and Kody have decided to hold off on any IVF attempts.

You're a better person than I am, then,Prancy, because it sounds bizzare to me.

As far as the rising the dead, or other fanciful things, I can read about that in the Bible. I do not have a Book of Mormom to reference Heaven being a planet or other Mormom beliefs.

I do know, though, that when people are hesitant to talk about something they're doing or associated with, that's usually (but not always) because there's something socially unacceptable, or wrong with it.

You're a better person than I am, then,Prancy, because it sounds bizzare to me.

As far as the rising the dead, or other fanciful things, I can read about that in the Bible. I do not have a Book of Mormom to reference Heaven being a planet or other Mormom beliefs.

I do know, though, that when people are hesitant to talk about something they're doing or associated with, that's usually (but not always) because there's something socially unacceptable, or wrong with it.

You may be right, but I have found that many mainstream Mormons do not discuss the details of their faith. They talk in general terms about family, eternity, no drinking, no smoking, wholesome living, etc., but they do not openly discuss the details. I know this because I have been a huge Osmond fan from childhood. The Osmonds have never discussed the Mormon details openly. They give general anwers. Also, Mick Romney, who is also Mormon, also, does not discuss those details and he may end up being our next president. Just saying....

Whenever I think of odd relgious beliefs, I remind myself of the story in the Bible where God sends Abraham up to the alter to offer his son, Isaac, as a sacifice. He was testing Abraham's faith. At the last minute, he stops Abraham from killing his son. According to God, that proved Abraham had a strong faith.

I do not understand that kind of test. I have always had a problem with that story. It sound barbaric IMO, but I don't think it's my place to condemn people who believe that story or approve of it. That's what I was trying to say.

You may be right, but I have found that many mainstream Mormons do not discuss the details of their faith. They talk in general terms about family, eternity, no drinking, no smoking, wholesome living, etc., but they do not openly discuss the details. I know this because I have been a huge Osmond fan from childhood. The Osmonds have never discussed the Mormon details openly. They give general anwers. Also, Mick Romney, who is also Mormon, also, does not discuss those details and he may end up being our next president. Just saying....

Whenever I think of odd relgious beliefs, I remind myself of the story in the Bible where God sends Abraham up to the alter to offer his son, Isaac, as a sacifice. He was testing Abraham's faith. At the last minute, he stops Abraham from killing his son. According to God, that proved Abraham had a strong faith.

I do not understand that kind of test. I have always had a problem with that story. It sound barbaric IMO, but I don't think it's my place to condemn people who believe that story or approve of it. That's what I was trying to say.

(above bbm)
You're right....that story would be disturbing....unless you are of the belief that God knows everything, knows how everything begins and how it will end, and knew, even before asking, that Abraham's son would be spared.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back