State v. Bradley Cooper 3-29-11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're gonna have to lay in supplies, folks -- go get your toilet paper and bread NOW -- it's gonna be a lo-o-o-o-o-ong stretch. Ques-Obj-Ruling is the star of the day -- and rightly so. But both Kurtz & young Young are doing fine, as is everyone else -- a relief.

I will have to leave this afternoon. boohoo! Ill be checking in thru my phone.

Lots of questions around the dress, location of the dress in the laundry baskets.

The reason Young sounds evasive on defense cross is because of the way Kurtz is asking questions (or rather, making declarative statements). Kurtz is using a classic offensive style, which is designed to put out ideas the defense wants to float in the case, and try to pin it on this witness and try to get him to either agree (win) or disagree but sound like he's being defensive (also a win).

The bottomline is this:

- Did Young perform his duties in this case as assigned?
- Did he properly document items?
- Did he make sure all items seized were properly collected, transported and secured at the CPD?
- Did he follow the policies & procedures of the CPD?
- Did he document the interviews he conducted?
- Did he keep accurate notes?
- Did he complete search warrants properly?
- Did he execute search warrants properly?
- Did he do anything illegal, fabricate evidence, tamper with evidence? (no he didn't).

The state is using Young for foundation purposes. Young shows how the items were collected and transported and processed by CPD. FOUNDATION.

It may be foundation but it didn't stop the state asking JY his theories on what some of that evidence contained.

I'm wondering if now is a good time to take a 2 hour cleaning break?

Hang on for a few minutes--it's almost time for their 90 minute lunch break. And I'll take a nap during that time.
Kurtz is already driving me crazy....not so much his voice but the way he's presenting his questions and non-questions. He is confusing the detective and me as well.

Sure he has theories. But theories don't get people convicted. Without evidence and proof, it doesn't matter what someone theorizes. Gotta prove it. Cops have theories. News @ 11! :-O

Questions regarding the stain on the dress and whether Det. Young remembers Ivy McMillan mentioning the stain on the dress or asking if she should test the stain.

Det. Young was not aware of stain on dress, does not recall mention or question about stain on dress.

Det. Young reviewing record of conversation between Ivy McMillan and himself.

Even now while they are talking about the dress and I think back and see in my mind a dress more the coloring of the background design mixed with the other color, a darker color than many probably see, and definately thin, not straps, but kind of medium straps because of the gathering. A summer, flowy, dress, that if I was a little thinner, would love to have one like it. It looks really pretty.
PJ

Det. Young remembers conversation with (Amanda?) Thompson does not recall discussing stain on dress.

Sure he has theories. But theories don't get people convicted. Without evidence and proof, it doesn't matter what someone theorizes. Gotta prove it. Cops have theories. News @ 11! :-O

Ok now that I don't buy. The whole point of asking him what he thinks it to give the power of suggestion to the jury.

The detective seems just as professional to me as he has the past few days. I don't see Kurtz as being as professional. He seems to be trying to intentionally mislead.

Ok now that I don't buy. The whole point of asking him what he thinks it to give the power of suggestion to the jury.

You think theories are what will take a jury past reasonable doubt?

I don't.

Without evidence Cooper will walk.

Exactly. I just hope the jury keeps this in mind.

The detective seems just as professional to me as he has the past few days. I don't see Kurtz as being as professional. He seems to be trying to intentionally mislead.

Surely you are not suggesting that an attorney would phrase a question so as to portray his client in a better light... are you?

Det. Young states conversation took place that may have had the recommendation not to perform forensic testing on the dress but that would have been made by individuals other than Det. Young. He further says he probably complied with that recommendation.

You think theories are what will take a jury past reasonable doubt?

I don't.

Without evidence Cooper will walk.

No I don't, but I think a jury would take those theories into account to go along with whatever evidence is present to form conclusions.

The jury is dismissed for a lunch break until 2:30pm.

Surely you are not suggesting that an attorney would phrase a question so as to portray his client in a better light... are you?

LOL! It's not any different than what has been done all along. It's one way to get in evidence that isn't evidence. There sure are a lot more "sustained" as opposed to "overruled" in this portion.

The state is objecting to the document (bench notes) being shown to Det. Young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli