State v. Bradley Cooper 4-12-2011

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kurtz reviewing Google sites now: pressure washing services, VA Beach Rock&Roll half marathon, museums, etc. #coopertrial

I doubt Brad was using Internet Explorer for his browser...being an IT guy and all

Likely not... but automatic updates, which the major computer manufacturing company that I work for requires to be activated works through IE.

No when they accessed these files the modified date changed
every time you access something on your computer the date changes

If I'm not mistaken, the standard procedure is to pull the hard drive, clone it, and then access the files. Doing that would not modify any of the dates. Also, the dates change only when the files are modified. Accessing the files to read them will not change the dates.

I'm skeptical that anything nefarious occurred with the files, but the modified dates are a bit odd.

Kurtz: TWC relaying capabilities is offered by many carriers and doesn't require special knowledge? Agent: Yes.#coopertrial

FBI agent says he wasn't aware of the tampering allegation & did no special investigation into that issue. He wasn't asked to.

If the defense really felt they were guilty of tampering, they would have been on this like a duck on a june bug before it went to trial, imo. These are only allegations with no substance, imo. imo imo imo imo

I would suspect that a computer forensics engineer would do exactly such... I would not expect that a detective with CPD wouldn't simply power it up though to see if it was password protected, which would do the same thing if the laptop had just gone to sleep rather than being powered down.

I think that is why defense painstakingly questioned the Det.'s about the state of the computer when they seized it and what exactly they did.

The computer said it was locked by the user and they powered it down. I think they said they then took the battery out as well didn't they? There would have been no need for anybody to power it on to see if it was password protected because that was determined prior to powering down the computer during seizure.

No comments here about how 600+ files were modified after it was seized? He can't testify that it was done by an auto update.

If I'm not mistaken, the standard procedure is to pull the hard drive, clone it, and then access the files. Doing that would not modify any of the dates. Also, the dates change only when the files are modified. Accessing the files to read them will not change the dates.

I'm skeptical that anything nefarious occurred with the files, but the modified dates are a bit odd.

That's absolutely the correct procedure and in fact, the cloned drive shouldn't ever be booted off of in the first place ever again. However, my suspicion is that one of the CPD detectives opened up the laptop and once it came out of sleep mode it tried to pull updates and ping its mail server.

I think that is why defense painstakingly questioned the Det.'s about the state of the computer when they seized it and what exactly they did.

The computer said it was locked by the user and they powered it down. I think they said they then took the battery out as well didn't they? There would have been no need for anybody to power it on to see if it was password protected because that was determined prior to powering down the computer during seizure.

BBM

Good point. If it was powered down how did it get updates.

FBI agent says he wasn't aware of the tampering allegation & did no special investigation into that issue. He wasn't asked to.

If the defense really felt they were guilty of tampering, they would have been on this like a duck on a june bug before it went to trial, imo. These are only allegations with no substance, imo. imo imo imo imo

They were but they had no access as to how the FBI actually retrieved their data until in the courtroom today.

If the prosecution follows this testimony up with another batch of "don't forget BC is a bad dude" testimony from JR, this case is about over and their smoking gun was left on the cutting room floor.

Yep, I was thinking the same thing.

I've no idea to be honest... I just know that if a computer has been powered off for a while and it is powered back on it isn't unreasonable for a whole slew of files to get modified so that's just my hunch as to what happened.

They were but they had no access as to how the FBI actually retrieved their data until in the courtroom today.

They have been trying to get that information, but it has never been presented to them until today.

My first thought was how do you kill yourself by asphyxiation? Hanging?

A plastic bag over the head and secured with duct tape works on oneself as well as someone else -- Just ask Ryan Hare...
Some folks do it for a thrill to themselves or to others..as long as they know when to stop. I won't go into any more details...

Not my kind of thing. Ack. (sorry to be so sick-sounding.)

But, why didn't they depose them before the trial? I thought a good attorney never asked a question if they didn't know the answer already?

wral WRAL NEWS in NC
Defense: You can't tell if Brad read the emails from Nancy's inbox. FBI agent: Correct. I didn't see him read the emails. #coopertrial

Yes, and for non-techy people like me...this kind of stuff, just throwing it out there leaves you with a WHAT?? I do not know if, what , how or whatever it means...I suspect there are those on the jury with the same reaction. I think the defense is just hoping to get one person that is not trusting of law enforcement. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pama_213