Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
WRAL
Durham police detective Chris Chappell (who was also assigned to FBI cyber taskforce) is now on stand. Again, no livestream. #coopertrial

Just curious, but is that how you teach your children? Right and wrong is of no consequence 'because that type of stuff happens frequently'? < shakes head here > We spend a lot of time teaching the grandson's the difference between right and wrong, moral and immoral, nice and not nice, etc. My daughter is especially fervent on 'tattletales'. Don't like hearing "I'm tellin'" .

My comment was in regards to a murder trial and whether it means anything in regards to the murder of Nancy Cooper. I have never said I agree with him doing this. I simply said it was a common occurrence in divorce. It was brought up yesterday that it is standard for divorce lawyers to tell their client to assume their communication is being monitored. This has nothing to do with me, how I live my life, or how I teach my children.

I love my Flip. I wonder why they are getting out of that business.

It's an obsolete product given the number of cell phones, etc. that also do video. It was a bad decision for them to go after that product in the first place. Most people thought they were going to somehow integrate it with voice & networking but they did not.

http://twitter.com/#!/wral

if tweets were updated more frequently I would sit around and post them...but I am not going to sit in front of computer for this next witness..frankly it is boring

the link is above

maybe we will be back live tomorrow...@1

Thank you very much for your updates. It is the slowest trial I think I've followed.

Let me make sure I understand this: the witness for the State who was accepted as an expert in the field of computer forensics testified that there was NO EVIDENCE that Brad's computer placed the 6:40 phone call. Wonder what the next masked and dumb (as in, can't speak) Fibby is going to testify about?

of course not.
it was already established he used the blackjack not the computer to spoof the call.

I realize it's much more fun to speculate creatively on how all these things could have happened to Brad Cooper. How inept and yet at the same time brilliant law enforcement conspirators planned to frame him. It's the stuff of rich fantasies. Conspiracy theories are popular.

The truth is much more mundane and perhaps boring in this case. No one accessed Cooper's computer except for Brad Cooper and then the FBI. No one changed files on Cooper's computer, though automated software certainly was running and the software scripts updated files as would normally occur every day. No one snuck into Cooper's network and then gained accessed to his Cisco secure laptop and placed files on that computer incriminating him in his wife's murder.

It would be much more exciting to imagine all of these nefarious things happening, but it did not happen. If something incriminating exists on Cooper's laptop it's because he put it there and it was later found by the FBI.

Common sense.

Reading your post reminded me of just yesterday's *discussion*, on Brad's cheating ways cause 'nancy cut him off from sex.' How many passes does this guy get anyway? I'm beginning to think some want to give him a *pass* on the murder cause 'some women just need killin'. (isn't that what they say in Texas, 'some men just need killing'? Some phrase like that anyway?) In the same vein of thought as the 'southern speak'. :banghead:

That is not at all what I said.

The IBM laptop used by Cooper had a lot of software on it that was set to update, download updates, run security scans, and various other things, all automatically, without the user doing anything. Pretty standard stuff in corporate environments. The files changed on Cooper's IBM computer were the result of scripts running on that computer, not by anyone in the police dept accessing anything. Testimony already showed that no one touched his computers to access anything before the computers were handed off to the FBI. The computers were in a secure and locked room, with the keys given to only 3 people in the entire dept, and none of the lead or other first tier detectives had the key to this room. From the time investigators entered the Cooper home on July 15 to conduct the search / search warrant to the time Detective Ice removed the power cord and battery from the laptop, as was their policy, no one touched the Cooper's computers.

How did it update if it was powered off? Also a post earlier stated that computer forensics are usually done with the computer off.

I realize it's much more fun to speculate creatively on how all these things could have happened to Brad Cooper. How inept and yet at the same time brilliant law enforcement conspirators planned to frame him. It's the stuff of rich fantasies. Conspiracy theories are popular.

The truth is much more mundane and perhaps boring in this case. No one accessed Cooper's computer except for Brad Cooper and then the FBI. No one changed files on Cooper's computer, though automated software certainly was running and the software scripts updated files as would normally occur every day. No one snuck into Cooper's network and then gained accessed to his Cisco secure laptop and placed files on that computer incriminating him in his wife's murder.

It would be much more exciting to imagine all of these nefarious things happening, but it did not happen. If something incriminating exists on Cooper's laptop it's because he put it there and it was later found by the FBI.

Common sense.

That kind of doesn't make sense though because the software that does automated backups, software updates, etc. would be enterprise software residing on a server on the Cisco network. There is nothing to update or access if the computer is not attached to the network.

The prosecution, for a short time, showed a log of activity from Cooper's IBM laptop. The FBI guy explained how they acquire such a log.

Within the log, I saw at least 2 separate instances of 'click to call' activity, which is a way of initiating a call by going to a website and clicking on a specific button. This was one of the ways the Cisco expert testified to last week in which a call can be initiated. The prosecution didn't talk about those items when they showed this log, but I saw them, plain as day. As for the date/time of the calls, not sure, but they were definitely in 2008 and sometime in the June - July timeframe.

How did it update if it was powered off? Also a post earlier stated that computer forensics are usually done with the computer off.

I'm dumb as a rock on technology - but my clock updates during D.S.T. when it's powered off (or rather updates at power on). I imagine lots of programs are written to update without me doing something.

Cooper's laptop was on and connected to the Cisco network until 5:09pm on July 15. That's when the laptop was seized and turned off. Whatever files were updated occurred before, or right at, that time. Once the power was off, no updates could be done to the laptop. A computer that is turned off completely does not receive and send info.

And the sad part is, people condone that type behavior - they justify it, they accept it, they pass it off as no big deal. Is it any wonder why so many women and children are murdered and thrown out like trash in the U.S.??!!! It's that blase (sp?) attitude about the safety and welfare of our vulnerable that just slays me(poor choice of a pun, I know).

And then the total disdain for our law enforcement officers. These are the people are who are sworn to protect and serve and then the people from their own community degrade and denigrate them as if they are the enemy or the criminals. My goodness - hope you don't ever need a police officer's help for anything. Hope you aren't the victim of a violent crime there in Cary - because to hear you all tell it, they are the worst of the worst LEO. How many homicides occur in Cary anyway? Is it something that occurs once an hour, once a day - do they have murder investigations going on constantly? I think they've done a commendable job. They certainly investigated TONS of stuff that has been criticized for having no evidentiary value - but on the other hand the CPD jumped to the conclusion it was Brad. Wow - you want it both ways?

Who is condoning anything? I don't think anyone thinks it right to go snooping around your significant other.

I'll just say it's pretty obvious some of you have never been in a distrustful relationship/marriage.

Common sense.

Madeline - you're right up there with PolkSaladAnnie in my book - I love you!!! You make sooooo much sense! Will you be my new best friend??!!:great:

I'm dumb as a rock on technology - but my clock updates during D.S.T. when it's powered off (or rather updates at power on). I imagine lots of programs are written to update without me doing something.

Right but the files wouldn't change until it was actually powered on. Nothing happens when the hard drive/computer is off.

The witness stated that he did not see BC read the emails, other than knowing the emails were forwarded is it possible for the witness to know if they were actually read?

I wasn't saying that because of the witness. I was saying it because it's obvious he read the emails.

That kind of doesn't make sense though because the software that does automated backups, software updates, etc. would be enterprise software residing on a server on the Cisco network. There is nothing to update or access if the computer is not attached to the network.

Not necessarily... if the computer was turned on by either accident, ignorance, or as the FBI has testified during the normal course of operation before it was permanently powered off then there is some software that will go and pull updates. I don't have anything specific to Cisco but I do know the company I work for performs regular disk scans (for unauthorised or malicious software), virus scans, and checks for updates on the enterprise servers. All of which could potentially modify a log file even with just an entry that it was unsuccessful in contacting the enterprise server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member