State v Bradley Cooper 4-25-11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Kurtz but it isn't up to your expert witness to say Det Young erased this phone on purpose. Stop whining.

BZ iz sounding whiny in his objections again, and if he is going to complain about the witness testifying his thoughts on how this was done, then none of the prosecutions LE witnesses should be able to say BC killed NC.

I went out to mow the back yard and came back in.......and I'm 4 pages behind! Hope there's some good thoughts on those 4 pages. Just sent the jury out.

Nah, I don't think so. I popped back and forth, making beds, getting dressed, straightening up, etc.

I believe this witness would be to show that LE may have done this on purpose?

Yes, that's what's going on now!

Got to admit that it's absolutely incredible that the phone data and sim card were totally wiped out...

Listening to the Judge, but I have to question what he is saying since this expert said that the process had to have been done twice to wipe out both the SIM card and the phone. Why would Young do it twice except to make sure that it was totally wiped out.

There was testimony about timeline as well. Det. Y testimony regarding the timeline erasing of the phone doesn't match the information on the phone itself.

jury out

BZ: speculating phone intentionally wiped exceeds witnesses expertise

Kurtz: comparable to ME speculating NC died from homicidal violence. Evidence Det. Young had personal knowledge of request made to preserve data, then followed unsound forensic prodecure, Young's description of phone erasure does not agree with facts...

judge: was there a sinister purpose to typing keys? is that what you are getting at? he intentionall keyed phone are you suggesting he intended the end result?

Kurtz: yes

judge: he cannot testify to intention for end result (phone wipe) - that's for the jury.

I reject on grounds of morals and principles anyone being expert on my own intentions, and if intentions are meant to deceive.

Looks like Boz is making that argument, that it is up to the jury, not this witness to determine intent.

This expert can only say what happened.....not why or *who* may have switched the sim card.

I don't think that there is any data to support that this wiping procedure was done 2x - therefore - I don't think you can allow him to talk about intent. Det McDreamy said he only did this error once - there's no way to know if the sim card was already wiped and the one attempt wiped the phone memory or vice versa.

Still trying to figure out what could be so inflammatory as to CPD wanting to destroy the phone data. If it was an alternative smoking gun - I have to believe they would have exhausted that lead. I don't think Nancy had too many secrets and her friends would have spilled if there was another suspect (i.e. romantic interest) as they seem to be focused on finding her killer and not necessarily convicting Brad.

I tend to think that letter defense sent to suggest special care of Nancy's phone was done to set this whole thing up..as Brad knew the phone had been wiped already..and set up "incompetence defense"..LOL tho it isnt funny, but quite likely!! IMO

Seeing the Rentz' sitting in the courtroom just now. This must be so hard on them, especially at their ages. My heart goes out to them. With my arthritis and back problems, there is no way I could ever sit on those benches day after day. After the first day, I'd be in hospital, in traction, and on morphine. They ought to make everybody sit on those hard benches, including the defendant and attorney's IMO.

I wonder how this is different from Det. Chappell turning to the jury and saying it was his opinion that BC was, in that 41 seconds, looking for/deciding upon a location to dump his wife's body. (I actually wondered why Kurtz didn't object to that statement at the time. Also, for the record, I disagree with Chappell on that. IMO If BC did that search, he didn't decide in the 41 seconds to dump Nancy's body there. If he did it, then he had been to the site before and was just doing a quick check before the plan was executed.)

ETA~ Sorry, I should have quoted someone--I'm comparing Levitan's opinion of JY's intent to Chappell's opinion of the search.

I tend to think that letter defense sent to suggest special care of Nancy's phone was done to set this whole thing up..as Brad knew the phone had been wiped already..and set up "incompetence defense"..LOL tho it isnt funny, but quite likely!! IMO

That would mean the defense attys knew he wiped it, wouldn't it?

I would say as likely as a detective wiping the phone because there was something incriminating against him on it...not syaing I believe it, but just as likely IMO

So, according to the expert, twice the device told the detective 'if you do this one more time you'll permanently erase the data' and twice the detective did it anyway yet he didn't intend to erase the data....

Even if this expert is wrong and he only told the device once that it was ok to permanently erase the data.... if not intent, then what do you call it?

I wonder if Brad could have changed that sim card to a blank one before Cary PD ever even got it?

They are numbered and traceable, I would hope LEO's, especially the FBI already verified that. They are not just handed out, the phone company has to have the number to make it work with your phone number.

For the record, IIRC, Det Young testified that he was on the phone w/AT&T following THEIR directions.

Intent is a leap beyond facts....IMO in this particular testimony.

I'd call it obfuscation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members