State v Bradley Cooper 4-25-11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Studying case law seems like a worthy task, but personally I would not consider forum content relevant to a murder trial.

So what you are saying is, the length of Danielle VanDam's hair, even though is was exceedingly relavent to the time from of her murder, should have been discarded, since the info/idea was gleened from a crime forum? Let me further clarify, those would have been the hairs found *rammed into the headboard* of David Westerfields bed in his home, and those found in his motorhome, the one he used to also rape the child in, and then discard of her body.

also, in the same vein, would the defense have been able to request the records from teh phone co. themselves? BC paid the phone bill, no? It was in his name, if the records showed anything that would help him, they would have them, right?

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133890&page=39 post 962

For anyone wanting to refer back to Jay123's post.

Thank you. I went back early this morning and re-read it during arguments. I think it was really JW who posted.....and especially since Boz was ready to 'go get' JW this morning. I feel that they had prepped him to testify that it was indeed himself when the subject came up today.
I wish him the best.....would still love to spend a couple of hours in a bar with him.

I think it's rather obvious to all of us that the police weren't particularly interested in eye witness accounts of Nancy jogging, or her last communications with anyone. If the defense argument is to demonstrate that police had tunnel vision, and were solely focused on Brad to the exclusion of all other information, then I'd say they've made their point.

CPD said early on it wasn't a random killing. Seems to me her injuries (or lack of them) could have led them to that conclusion. Have they ever said this out loud?

Everyone keeps saying this means they were focused on BC, but I don't know that that's so. Maybe they were just focused on someone who knew her and ruled everyone else out.

This thing about them not being interested in eyewitness accounts - I just do not get people still being riled over it. RZ is a good example. Through all her testimony in the custody stuff and in the murder trial... what evidence, what insight, what minute tidbit of information came out of anything she said, that CPD didn't have when she very first gave it to them? None. Do we know how many tens or hundreds of people who called in saying they'd seen her? No. Did RZ see a culprit so that she could provide a description of a suspect? No. Everyone acts like the murderer could have magically been caught, had they only followed up quickly. We know now that there's no further anything any of these people have that puts anyone closer to a suspect other than BC.

CPD knew there was relevant information on the cell phone. Det. Y stated the type of evidence he was looking for in the search warrant. Det. Dismukes questioned HP about knowing the passcode to unlock the phone and stated they had everything they needed on the phone.

That phone was not innocently accidentally wiped of non-important data.

So what you are saying is, the length of Danielle VanDam's hair, even though is was exceedingly relavent to the time from of her murder, should have been discarded, since the info/idea was gleened from a crime forum? Let me further clarify, those would have been the hairs found *rammed into the headboard* of David Westerfields bed in his home, and those found in his motorhome, the one he used to also rape the child in, and then discard of her body.

What I'm saying is that if a lawyer cannot do his or her job without checking out what the layperson would do, then he or she should find another line of work.

CPD said early on it wasn't a random killing. Seems to me her injuries (or lack of them) could have led them to that conclusion. Have they ever said this out loud?

Everyone keeps saying this means they were focused on BC, but I don't know that that's so. Maybe they were just focused on someone who knew her and ruled everyone else out.

This thing about them not being interested in eyewitness accounts - I just do not get people still being riled over it. RZ is a good example. Through all her testimony in the custody stuff and in the murder trial... what evidence, what insight, what minute tidbit of information came out of anything she said, that CPD didn't have when she very first gave it to them? None. Do we know how many tens or hundreds of people who called in saying they'd seen her? No. Did RZ see a culprit so that she could provide a description of a suspect? No. Everyone acts like the murderer could have magically been caught, had they only followed up quickly. We know now that there's no further anything any of these people have that puts anyone closer to a suspect other than BC.

Well put!

Maybe Cary had one of the earlier versions of the UFED (Universal Forensic Extraction Device). These allow sucking of data off cell phones as easily as just plugging them into one of these devices. Automati-magically cracks the phone security, etc. The ACLU is having fits about this:

http://www.cellebrite.com/forensic-products/ufed-physical-pro.html

http://computer-forensics.sans.org/blog/2011/04/22/case-leads-aclu-v-msp

These allow someone to PEEK at a phone without detection.

The ACLU, in my opinion, should be having cows over this and the new relvelation that Apple products are saving GPS info on people. Our government should not be about laws in the event of a potential crime, or surveilling its residents, that is a total infringement on our rights as listed in our Constitution.

On July 12-13, when investigators were chasing psychic leads but ignoring eyewitness reports and cell phone content, it should have been a wide open investigation. Cell phone records could indicate Nancy's plans for the morning she was to go for a run (or not). That, in my opinion, should have been very relevant to the investigation. Instead, the cell phone was packed away and ignored until it was wiped.

And ... I don't think it matters how many eye witness calls came in. If they were chasing psychic info, they had nothing but time on their hands.

I think it's more about the fact that LE all but ignored potentially credible information, not that had they followed up they would have actually found something. It provides insight into LE and those early months. They had obviously narrowed their suspects down to BC despite, what we know now, having no physical evidence. It's all about the big picture.

On July 12-13, when investigators were chasing psychic leads but ignoring eyewitness reports and cell phone content, it should have been a wide open investigation. Cell phone records could indicate Nancy's plans for the morning she was to go for a run (or not). That, in my opinion, should have been very relevant to the investigation. Instead, the cell phone was packed away and ignored until it was wiped.

And ... I don't think it matters how many eye witness calls came in. If they were chasing psychic info, they had nothing but time on their hands.

OK, the image of people in a golf cart zooming around based on the lead of a psychic makes me laugh.

What I'm saying is that if a lawyer cannot do his or her job without checking out what the layperson would do, then he or she should find another line of work.

Uh huh.....Can we dump those pesky innocence project students too while we are at it then?

OK, the image of people in a golf cart zooming around based on the lead of a psychic makes me laugh.

Totally! It's crazy when you think about it. Psychic ESP and other mental intuitions are interestings, even entertaining, but to run the first searches for a missing person based on that kind of unverifiable stuff? Crazy.

Good Morning..
Not showing anyone started this thread yet.
So far they are arguing against "Mr V" being introduced as a defense witness who was not on the list. ....

Someone else posted this earlier today... sort of like the prosecution trying to inlcude a mysterious server that was not found before?

Uh huh.....Can we dump those pesky innocence project students too while we are at it then?

Didn't someone post that Innocence Project activites are post-verdict, not pre-verdict? Who in the courtroom is associated with the Innocence Project?

Totally! It's crazy when you think about it. Psychic ESP and other mental intuitions are interestings, even entertaining, but to run the first searches for a missing person based on that kind of unverifiable stuff? Crazy.

It does conjure up a comic picture--- but the psychic was that far off in her tip as it turned out.

Didn't someone post that Innocence Project activites are post-verdict, not pre-verdict? Who in the courtroom is associated with the Innocence Project?

Ahhh, that would be the defense.

Good Morning..
Not showing anyone started this thread yet.
So far they are arguing against "Mr V" being introduced as a defense witness who was not on the list. ....

Someone else posted this earlier today... sort of like the prosecution trying to inlcude a mysterious server that was not found before?

You are going to have to do some fast reading because the trial just came back on and I don't know if anybody has the time to catch up up to date on everything that happened this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member