State v Bradley Cooper 4-25-11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Studying case law seems like a worthy task, but personally I would not consider forum content relevant to a murder trial.

in my opinion, this forum is like a frontier.....worthy of exploring.....I'd say to the intern......"Go West, young man (or woman)"

or climb the mountain....because it is there. Pretty cool stuff

Great place to practice debate and to learn how to evaluate opinion vs. fact vs. obfuscation

It seems that some of the people in the courtroom have been observed checking out this forum. That's why.

"checking out" this forum is much different than reading every post every day.

CPD's case against the unknown top secret lover/murderer would have HAD to be easier than the case they have against BC, because apparently he left proof positive on the cell phone that it was he and not BC that murdered NC. I can't imagine if the top secret lover/murderer had left his incriminating mark on the cell phone, that CPD desperately had to get rid of, that CPD wouldn't have taken the obvious easier choice and arrested the unknown top secret lover/murderer. Apparently that would have been a slam dunk case, but nooooo, they went on a three year journey of framing BC by way of trying to make themselves look inept and/or corrupt, whichever the story is this week. <tongue firmly in cheek>

No need for anything this extreme, in fact making an extreme suggestion like that does not diminish the importance of a victims cellphone data in any case.

Something as innocent as a text message at a certain time could throw off the State's timeline or theory. That in and of itself would be pretty damaging. No need to consider conspiracies or framing in order to imagine something of crucial value within the infomation wiped from NC blackberry.

Bottom line for me on the JW posting is this: If he did post it, it was unprofessional, not to mention boneheaded, IMO. I personally think he did a good job on the stand, and could possibly have paved the way to do future expert testimony in computer network security, but posting on this forum immediately after while the trial was still underway likely negated that possibility. That said, if it wasn't JW, he'll find a way to clear his name. (I think it was him, and I think he shot himself in the foot.)

By the next day after NC went missing (the Sunday), her cell phone should have been examined forensically to determine if there were text messages, etc. that might indicate anyone she might have been meeting, etc.

IMNSHO, that should have been standard practice at that point in any such case. Get an emergency SW. That lack of action is incompetence, approaching dereliction of duty. When it became a murder investigation, they waited months before attempting to examine her phone? They just let all those phones and computers just sit there in the evidence room all that time, not even a little curious what might be there. Not even a little sneak and peek?

http://www.decisionquest.com/utility/showDocumentFile/?objectID=35

This article discusses social media analysis is necessary for trial attorneys nowadays...

There are firms who actually specialize in this.

Quote:

Social media analysis is most effective for
supporting trial practice when it includes a
study of opinions and attitudes in a
potential jury pool. It is no longer enough
to rely on a clipping service to keep track
of what is being said about you or your
client. These days the task of monitoring
public opinion is much more robust,
including tracking influence and authority
in blog conversations, harvesting
numerous readers’ comments, sifting
through rapid real-time comments, and
taking into account the array of reviews
and ratings from all corners of the Internet.
Especially with large amounts of
information, this requires advanced search
techniques and qualitative and quantitative
tools to measure sentiment and mine
opinions. Social science methods, such as
content analysis techniques, can provide
reliable quantitative results of the data
found online.

The article goes on to say it is even used during trial to analyze their potential effectiveness towards jurors, looking at the general population and their comments, and fine-tuning the presentation of their case. Many people have said they have seen both sides on this site....seems like it is becoming a prudent thing for trial lawyers to do.

Bottom line for me on the JW posting is this: If he did post it, it was unprofessional, not to mention boneheaded, IMO. I personally think he did a good job on the stand, and could possibly have paved the way to do future expert testimony as a computer security, but posting on this forum immediately after while the trial was still underway likely negated that possibility. That said, if it wasn't JW, he'll find a way to clear his name. (I think it was him, and I think he shot himself in the foot.)

He probably would like to crawl under a big rock right now. I feel kind of bad for him. He had never testified in court, was bullied by BZ in a manner that may have damaged his reputation, and then got on here and read some really rude things being written about him. His judgment was not the best when (if) he defended himself on here but I can see where he was coming from. It's just unfortunate.

By the next day after NC went missing (the Sunday), her cell phone should have been examined forensically to determine if there were text messages, etc. that might indicate anyone she might have been meeting, etc.

IMNSHO, that should have been standard practice at that point in any such case. Get an emergency SW. That lack of action is incompetence, approaching dereliction of duty. When it became a murder investigation, they waited months before attempting to examine her phone? They just let all those phones and computers just sit there in the evidence room all that time, not even a little curious what might be there. Not even a little sneak and peek?

That does seem bizarre. As well, the judge openly talking about a basic lack of understanding of electronic media.

With all the information on phones now, as well as social media stuff, they need to look there asap to rule people in and out.

And the courts are going to have to learn the ways people communicate now - you can't just ignore it.

Agreed 100% on this point.

Especially since NC had moved all important communication to cell phone after the VoIP concerns of the home phone system.

(I still don't think it would have cleared BC or painted someone else as the killer, but it was a big deal to flub) And yet I find it equally as odd that this is the one thing that BC's attorney's ask them to be careful with - nothing else - that gives me pause, as well.

He probably would like to crawl under a big rock right now. I feel kind of bad for him. He had never testified in court, was bullied by BZ in a manner that may have damaged his reputation, and then got on here and read some really rude things being written about him. His judgment was not the best when (if) he defended himself on here but I can see where he was coming from. It's just unfortunate.

I completely agree.

"checking out" this forum is much different than reading every post every day.

I'm sorry. I find it over the top that something written here during a murder trial is introduced in court, but that's just me.

IT guys are often "different" on the personality side. From what I saw of his testimony, he seemed very knowledgeable on the topic he was tasked to talk about. I do not remember an eye-rolling moment or thinking this guy is BS'ing.

I agree with UNC70; defense thought they could at least discuss what the MFT meant without having JW qualify as a forensics expert, something he did not pretend to be.

I think it's rather obvious to all of us that the police weren't particularly interested in eye witness accounts of Nancy jogging, or her last communications with anyone. If the defense argument is to demonstrate that police had tunnel vision, and were solely focused on Brad to the exclusion of all other information, then I'd say they've made their point.

In light of this testimony, maybe the D can get by without the computer forensics expert. I think Mr. Levitan has done a good job at raising an eyebrow at the CPD. Just a thought.

CPD's case against the unknown top secret lover/murderer would have HAD to be easier than the case they have against BC, because apparently he left proof positive on the cell phone that it was he and not BC that murdered NC. I can't imagine if the top secret lover/murderer had left his incriminating mark on the cell phone, that CPD desperately had to get rid of, that CPD wouldn't have taken the obvious easier choice and arrested the unknown top secret lover/murderer. Apparently that would have been a slam dunk case, but nooooo, they went on a three year journey of framing BC by way of trying to make themselves look inept and/or corrupt, whichever the story is this week. <tongue firmly in cheek>

Nah, because see, right from the start, CPD formed serious bonds with nancy's friends, and really REALLY wanted brad to be the fall guy. So they manipulated everything to frame brad, cause they hated him almost as much as nancy's friends did. Forget about them saying 'they all were friends with brad at first.' Forget about the strange, to say the least, relationship between SH, BC, & HM. Isn't everyone 'best budd's' with the guy who's screwing their wife/soon to be ex-wife? Another one of those little unimportant thingies for which Brad get's a pass.

http://www.decisionquest.com/utility/showDocumentFile/?objectID=35

This article discusses social media analysis is necessary for trial attorneys nowadays...

There are firms who actually specialize in this.

Quote:

Social media analysis is most effective for
supporting trial practice when it includes a
study of opinions and attitudes in a
potential jury pool. It is no longer enough
to rely on a clipping service to keep track
of what is being said about you or your
client. These days the task of monitoring
public opinion is much more robust,
including tracking influence and authority
in blog conversations, harvesting
numerous readers’ comments, sifting
through rapid real-time comments, and
taking into account the array of reviews
and ratings from all corners of the Internet.
Especially with large amounts of
information, this requires advanced search
techniques and qualitative and quantitative
tools to measure sentiment and mine
opinions. Social science methods, such as
content analysis techniques, can provide
reliable quantitative results of the data
found online.

The article goes on to say it is even used during trial to analyze their potential effectiveness towards jurors, looking at the general population and their comments, and fine-tuning the presentation of their case. Many people have said they have seen both sides on this site....seems like it is becoming a prudent thing for trial lawyers to do.

I see. So the next step in this process is for marketing companies to get in on the act. They'll set up crime discussion forums, determine an agenda, and then control the information such that it presents a particular viewpoint. A few people can own multiple identities to give the appearance of multiple profiles ... and voila, we now have the social media manipulating court processes.

I'm sorry. I find it over the top that something written here during a murder trial is introduced in court, but that's just me.

so do I, but I also find it "over the top" that for pages and pages people have accused the prosecution of having nothing better to do than check out websleuths.

I think it's rather obvious to all of us that the police weren't particularly interested in eye witness accounts of Nancy jogging, or her last communications with anyone. If the defense argument is to demonstrate that police had tunnel vision, and were solely focused on Brad to the exclusion of all other information, then I'd say they've made their point.

I think checking her cellphone would have been one of the first things that LE would have done. Just unbelievable that they did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shablee