State v. Bradley Cooper 5-2-2011

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Never mind, I withdraw the question. It really doesn't require a point by point debate.

Actually it kind of does. Everything seems to boil down to, "the LE screwed everything up, all their evidence is suspect and JY erased the phone!" Each point does need to be argued irrespecitve of the "out there" accusations in order to be accurate. MOO

I imagine a petition with thousands of names will be sent to the DA's office, insisting they investigate the 'real' killer of Nancy Cooper. Then again, who's going to investigate the case since the CPD is inept and/or corrupt? Maybe they can put together a volunteer task force of concerned citizens.

The SBI or the State AG may investigate.

I imagine a petition with thousands of names will be sent to the DA's office, insisting they investigate the 'real' killer of Nancy Cooper. Then again, who's going to investigate the case since the CPD is inept and/or corrupt? Maybe they can put together a volunteer task force of concerned citizens.

Now I like your thinking! Not a bad idea actually.

Well, maybe since the crime scene was in Raleigh, the Raleigh PD can handle the new investigation.

What do you mean? Defense planned to bring up "non-evidence"? Can you be more specific.

I am not twisting anything. I am only concerned with facts.

"Did you do this test?"
"Yes"
"Did you find anything?"
"No"

That wasn't to bolster the state case. That was to keep the defense from trying to twist it into the state hiding something.

We can always send in the SBI....wait...nevermind.

How about the prosecution introducing a Chief Technology officer to rebut defense questions about someone's calendar who just happens to provide information about the "painting" plans that contradict one of his own wife's statements?

Tampering is impossible. Or is it....?

When did the defense or anyone else receive a forensic copy of BC's disk?

Is that type info somewhere handy?

Nothing is impossible. If you can imagine it, then it can be so. Disney and defense lawyers everywhere can't be wrong!

We can always send in the SBI....wait...nevermind.

How about the prosecution introducing a Chief Technology officer to rebut defense questions about someone's calendar who just happens to provide information about the "painting" plans that contradict one of his own wife's statements?

Tampering is impossible. Or is it....?

Are you saying that's your "make or break"? Whether or not JA had penciled in the paint plans on her calendar? Or is this just another "funny"?

IMO, this happens in cases when the overzealous LE wants to make sure that there is a conviction. We had a case last year where the defendant practically walked because one of the detective decided to threaten to "make stuff up" to make sure there was a conviction. But alas there was a police recording of the whole thing.
I can only speak for my area and while I am glad we have a strong police force they are not the most honest bunch I have ever come across. Maybe they think their dishonesty is in the interest of our community, to "get their man" but they don't realize the greater harm that comes to our community as a result. The DA's office similarly overcharges and is just ridiculous sometimes.

I have no idea if there were lies or honest mistakes involved in the Cooper case but both happen everyday,all day, everywhere.JMHO of course.
Until I see some reason to believe otherwise, I am going to keep thinking that the CPD are the good guys. Definitely the out-of-their-league guys, but still the good guys.

>>‘I’ll Make Somethin’ Up’
OC sheriff’s deputy tanked Disneyland-adjacent drug case by threatening to fabricate evidence
Let’s assume an Orange County Sheriff’s Department (OCSD) report of the Nov. 8, 2007, arrest of a suspected drug dealer near Disneyland reflects reality. The report goes like this: At 3:15 p.m., an undercover narcotics unit led by Investigator Christopher M. Catalano decided to end surveillance on 58-year-old Danny Stephen Simmons. A husky, 22-year veteran, Catalano ordered a patrol unit driven by Deputy Gino Rodriguez to stop a 2007 Dodge truck driven by Simmons on Harbor Boulevard.
To officers’ frustration, a passenger holding a McDonald’s bag leaped from the still-moving Dodge, dumped the bag (which contained 3 ounces of methamphetamine and a glass pipe), climbed a fence and, despite Catalano’s chase, escaped. Meanwhile, Rodriguez halted Simmons at gunpoint and found half a gram of methamphetamine hidden underneath the driver’s-seat cover, plus 17 Vicodin pills in the vehicle’s center console. Deputies raided Simmons’ home; there, they say, they found 171 grams of marijuana and the tools of a drug dealer: small plastic bags, digital scales, a box of syringes, $3,300 in cash and a loaded handgun. Catalano reported that Simmons voluntarily confessed to selling drugs. Based on the investigator’s work, prosecutors filed seven felonies and two misdemeanors. The district attorney’s office thought the crimes merited an eight-year trip to a California penitentiary.
But Simmons didn’t spend one hour in prison. Indeed, his case never went to trial—because the sheriff’s report was not entirely truthful and the preliminary hearing testimony of deputies wasn’t especially credible. As a result, the DA’s office dismissed five of the most serious charges. Last year, Simmons pleaded guilty to two remaining counts: illegal possession of a handgun by a felon and possession of an amount of concentrated cannabis. His punishment? Ninety days of home confinement, a generous resolution for a man the OCSD had pegged as a drug dealer working on the outskirts of the Happiest Place on Earth.<<

http://www.ocweekly.com/content/printVersion/609508/

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a comparison between the Cary, NC PD and the LAPD is not particularly germane.

"Did you do this test?"
"Yes"
"Did you find anything?"
"No"

That wasn't to bolster the state case. That was to keep the defense from trying to twist it into the state hiding something.

It hurt the state's case though. They should have only presented incriminating evidence to the jury, not every single piece of evidence tested. While trying to show that CPD was thorough, they only succeeded in showing they had tunnel vision and only tested BC related evidence. It did nothing to help their case, especially since it all turned up empty.

And adding the really odd things in, like the mica testing they only looked more incompetent. I would love to know who put that protocol together in the first place. "hey, let's test these shoes for dirt and compare it to Fielding Drive. If it matches, maybe the jury will *think* these are the shoes BC was wearing when he disposed of the body". I mean really. I can't even believe they actually presented that to the jury. A class of 4th graders would have been more scientific.

Are you saying that's your "make or break"? Whether or not JA had penciled in the paint plans on her calendar? Or is this just another "funny"?

I have decided that no matter the outcome here, I will not be satisfied. I think the whole thing is such a mess that were it a pond, I would never be able to surface for never being able to find the "up side". (Not positive, just the side that rights it all so you can see it)

I think both sides have had to adopt very defensive stances because it is just one of those cases that truly teeters on being absurd.

There is nothing in it that is "so far out there it stinks" in anyone's argument.

I don't buy the prosecutions timeline.

I don't buy the defenses tampering act.

I don't buy the google search.

I don't buy the defense saying the router wasn't in the house because it wasn't delivered until Sept. 2008.

I don't buy any of the witnesses on either side as someone completely trustworthy in Zell,HC,Trenkle and HK's hands.

I do not buy BC was smart enough to do all of this himself and get this close to Escape.

I do not buy the madness that the cliques over there had nothing to do with this.

Zealous need to arrest meets semi-smart guy and inexperienced police force.

Until I see some reason to believe otherwise, I am going to keep thinking that the CPD are the good guys. Definitely the out-of-their-league guys, but still the good guys.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a comparison between the Cary, NC PD and the LAPD is not particularly germane.

Yeah, I don't think the LAPD could have even have managed to get themselves into this particular situation without a visit from the ACLU long before trial.

Twitter poll has 386 respondents so far, with 82% NG. [ Whereas the WS poll (though with about 1/4th of the responses ) is tracking 30% NG ]
Obviously different sample groups responding to the poll, each with their own interpretation of the presented (and non-presented) evidence...

The real question I guess is which group is more reflective of the folks sitting in the JB.... Guess we'll probably know by the end of the week, if not by the end of tomorrow...

Meh, Doesn't sell me much. I never was a fan of the book "All I Needed to Learn I got in 140 Characters"

:innocent:

Phone =/= Google search

Phone was erased. I believe CPD did not intend for that phone to be erased. I believe CPD wanted any and all info they could get, including any info from NC's phone.

Then why did they wait so long to try to retrieve it? They should have tried the very first day she was reported missing.

You know, in a weird kind of way, I kind of think a mistrial would be interesting. The prosecution would know exactly what direction to take. Do you remember the Menendez Bros. second trial?
Actually, I'm hoping for a hung jury. I still suspect that the verdict will be guilty, but would rather see a hung jury. I don't think that the prosecution did a good enough job with the case to "earn" a Guilty verdict. But, I also don't want to see a guy kill his wife and get away with it. So I'm hoping that in a retrial a more competent prosecutor would handle the case and would have a much more focused, streamlined presentation.

It hurt the state's case though. They should have only presented incriminating evidence to the jury, not every single piece of evidence tested. While trying to show that CPD was thorough, they only succeeded in showing they had tunnel vision and only tested BC related evidence. It did nothing to help their case, especially since it all turned up empty.

And adding the really odd things in, like the mica testing they only looked more incompetent. I would love to know who put that protocol together in the first place. "hey, let's test these shoes for dirt and compare it to Fielding Drive. If it matches, maybe the jury will *think* these are the shoes BC was wearing when he disposed of the body". I mean really. I can't even believe they actually presented that to the jury. A class of 4th graders would have been more scientific.

That's your opinion and I definitely disagree. The mica evidence points to Brad being at the Fielding Drive site at some point. I do not believe he wore those shoes on 7/12 but I do believe he wore them when he was looking around the week that Nancy was on vacation. MOO

No I'm serious. Evidence planting/tampering is illegal. Punishable by a lengthy jail term, perhaps even life in a capital case. It must be that securing a conviction for Brad Cooper is worth the risk of being caught, prosecuted, and sentenced to state prison. How else to explain it?

It happens all the time in cases large and small. From the "throw down" gun to drugs that went missing from the evidence room being "found" during a search, from beatings by cops only exposed by a citizen video to "police speech" on the stand, in ways large and small throughout the US.

I believe BC did something himself to that phone. Either on purpose or by accident, but I believe the phone was compromised in some way even before McDreamy started inputting the wrong password, as instructed by the AT&T rep. I do not see any reason CPD would have wanted that phone to not give them any evidence. They wanted the info from that phone for their investigation. I think it was a f*up that it got wiped...perhaps helped by one BC.

Further, as of the day of arrest, CPD didn't have any info from NC's phone, so that phone didn't appear to factor into the decision to move forward with an arrest and indictment either.

I've been gone for a few hours, so this has probably already been discussed. The problem I have with your theory is that if proper protocol had been followed, then if BC had actually done something to the phone, it would have been found at that point. The only way your theory works is if BC someone knew LE would jack up the phone. And that is a big stretch.

Well, believe it because I don't believe the police intentionally or corruptly did anything to the phone. It was an accident pure and simple. Maybe Young didn't know all that he should have known, but I will not believe he wiped that phone on purpose or for some nefarious reason. Nah, didn't happen - and you can say over and over and over again, but it doesn't make the rest of the population believe it. No one, not one person knows what Bradleeee did to or with that phone in the time he had it.

How do you explain the testimony that the phone was wiped in August but the simcard wasn't wiped until the end of September? Were both accidents?

I have decided that no matter the outcome here, I will not be satisfied. I think the whole thing is such a mess that were it a pond, I would never be able to surface for never being able to find the "up side". (Not positive, just the side that rights it all so you can see it)

I think both sides have had to adopt very defensive stances because it is just one of those cases that truly teeters on being absurd.

There is nothing in it that is "so far out there it stinks" in anyone's argument.

I don't buy the prosecutions timeline.

I don't buy the defenses tampering act.

I don't buy the google search.

I don't buy the defense saying the router wasn't in the house because it wasn't delivered until Sept. 2008.

I don't buy any of the witnesses on either side as someone completely trustworthy in Zell,HC,Trenkle and HK's hands.

I do not buy BC was smart enough to do all of this himself and get this close to Escape.

I do not buy the madness that the cliques over there had nothing to do with this.

Zealous need to arrest meets semi-smart guy and inexperienced police force.

My primary points of contention are not buying the prosecution timeline. (I have no idea what that means) and not buying the google search (what do you attribute that to other than he searched that site on 7/11?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leledragon24