State v Bradley Cooper 5-3-11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. I'm a fast-talker by nature. Cumming spoke so slowly it drove me crazy throughout the trial.

Yet in spite of this, I could not follow Boz's closing. Anytime he made a point, and I tried to process his point, he was on to the next two points. Plus he came across as shouting on my video, his hand gestures/movements distracted me further, plus his lack of voice inflection. I felt like it was one big run-on sentence.

Watching Boz's closing again won't be of any help to me. I really need to read a transcript to get his points.

To me, their tone didn't really lead to my opinion about their closing. I already knew what to expect (from listening to them for 10 weeks). However, I found it difficult to follow them because their comments/thoughts were so disjointed. They would throw things out about the computer, an affair, the phone, and then go back to something else. It didn't make sense.

The defense, esp Trenkle, seemed like they were having a conversation with the jury, they were calm, and laid out their case sensibly.

In the long run, maybe none of this matters. I guess we'll see soon enough.

I know people have their opinions about what the verdict would be, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone would be surprised by an NG verdict?

No, I won't be surprised. I think Kurtz & Company presented enough smoke & mirrors that the jury might feel they're in a fun house set on fire - so it's possible they will not see the truth for the diversions and come back NG - and a guilty man will smirk himself back into a free world.

FYI, my cellphone got left, and hence my note taking capabilities, at my office this morning.

I am not bashing the attorneys at all. I clearly saw Boz pitch at least three softball lies to the jury. I think I only counted one amongst all of Kurtz and Trenkle (that could be proven by the evidence).

And, as for my bias, I am biased against the current state of the GJ and the way that it impacts the courts in NC. Specifically that judges assume (on a fairly large level) that you are there to waste your time and are probably guilty. I would say judges who are open minded versus judges who are making that assumption probably runs 6:1 in this state. (I have spent a LOT of time in court rooms, just not for murder trials, for all kinds of actions/trials/etc)

There was something ineffective about much of what Cummings did that I honestly can't put my finger on. Boz is just Boz. But, Cummings, he has been spot on until about a week ago, if slow. He has really baled on the case. The only thing I felt like was an interesting and possibly game-turning move by him was the moment he chose not to show photos of the body and the moment he paused for three years to separate the 2nd degree and 1st degree charges.

I think he made an error doing that, perhaps successfully ruling out the second degree murder charge and leaning some folks to not guilty.

There was some murmuring and buzz after both sides completion, which is odd, because in my experience it is usually after the state's case.

I will just say: Let's see what happens, because there is nothing anybody can do about it at this point. Ya know?

I also thought the dust on the shelves where the equipment must have been was good...looked like someone just got rid of some stuff!!

Nancy was packing up the house, and there was a dust spot where something was removed.

FYI, my cellphone got left, and hence my note taking capabilities, at my office this morning.

I am not bashing the attorneys at all. I clearly saw Boz pitch at least three softball lies to the jury. I think I only counted one amongst all of Kurtz and Trenkle (that could be proven by the evidence).

Can you clue me in on the defense lie? I must have missed that.

No, I won't be surprised. I think Kurtz & Company presented enough smoke & mirrors that the jury might feel they're in a fun house set on fire - so it's possible they will not see the truth for the diversions and come back NG - and a guilty man will smirk himself back into a free world.

Wow. You should have emailed that to BZ last night. Or just posted it here....I think a heard a few of your words up there today.

Can you clue me in on the defense lie? I must have missed that.

I think that Kurtz stretched the sim card testimony beyond capacity. It's the one thing that I think this of:

1) DJY got ahold of it and got it to a state of "frozen" wiped data.
2) I think an inexperienced "I can fix this" erased the sim card.

He put it all on JY/CPD and I think that was wrong. Remove it from the equation and I agree with most of what he says, but the technology aspect of this case and the hearsay aspect of this case absolutely baffles me from both sides.

The powerful info Boz talked about in regards to the Google search wasn't just the search itself, it was all the computer activity that confirmed and showed, with no doubt, that Brad Cooper was the one on that computer, that day, 7/11. Secure HTTPS sessions to a couple banks. No one else could have been getting into Cooper's online bank account. That was him! Sandwiched in between his secure web sessions was the google map search, then later, a weather search, both starting the same way, for zip code 27518.

I don't know if anyone else understands this, but this is powerful stuff. It proves Brad Cooper was the one interacting with his computer on 7/11/08.

You are soo sooo sooooooo right about this!!! I just have to believe that the jury gets this!!!!

I think that Kurtz stretched the sim card testimony beyond capacity. It's the one thing that I think this of:

He put it all on JY/CPD and I think that was wrong. Remove it from the equation and I agree with most of what he says, but the technology aspect of this case and the hearsay aspect of this case absolutely baffles me from both sides.

I disagree, and think it was intentional. But I definitely understand your perspective on this. Thanks so much for your comments.

Thanks johnfear! I actually disagree, because the detective's actions wiped the phone itself (the shell). There was never an explanation for the SIM card deletion, and entering the wrong password 10x does not effect the SIM card.

You are soo sooo sooooooo right about this!!! I just have to believe that the jury gets this!!!!

This is precisely one of the things that has been skewed by Boz, as well.

It would have taken very little effort on his part to build this portion of his case better.

I am going to chalk this and his interactions up to being green, but this is a murder case. I think maybe he should have championed the charge to let the state leave this case alone for another few months to clear up all of those things and back them up with a few well placed witnesses.

If BC walks, I think the mistakes that will have led to that that did not come from CPD, and if BC is guilty, I think that Boz had every opportunity to fix it, say WAIT. Let's get this right. And I think he could have either A) been more honest and bolstered the case for a win or B) at least sorted it all out enough to still have usable evidence. MOO

Wow. You should have emailed that to BZ last night. Or just posted it here....I think a heard a few of your words up there today.

Really? Which ones? I think a whole dang lot of it made perfect sense. I loved the part about JP!! "Let's talk about JP. JP, you remember him. He's the one who did NOT contact a lawyer. He's the one who went to the police station repeatedly. He's the one who didn't make a list of questions he would answer in subpart A and subpart B." Boom!!! There's the difference in guilt and innocence right there!! I loved that part. I don't think that will be lost on the jury either.

Nancy was packing up the house, and there was a dust spot where something was removed.

Nancy was packing several months before...I imagine she would not have bothered with any of the stuff in his home office. Brad forgot to dust when he was doing his 6 hour clean up....

If the sim card was intentionally deleted, this was a railroad job, not an inept police department.

Really? Which ones? I think a whole dang lot of it made perfect sense. I loved the part about JP!! "Let's talk about JP. JP, you remember him. He's the one who did NOT contact a lawyer. He's the one who went to the police station repeatedly. He's the one who didn't make a list of questions he would answer in subpart A and subpart B." Boom!!! There's the difference in guilt and innocence right there!! I loved that part. I don't think that will be lost on the jury either.

I would have to go back and pull the words, but I felt like you, Madeline, sunshine and JTF made it in there today. (being very serious and wishing I could remember the exact posts to attribute, but we've posted a lot here. I also feel like ncsu was getting some time) Mainly about the various ways that men and women see things differently, the dresses, the ducks, the DV versus not DV.

I know some of it was obviously general opinions, but it felt cobbled from here and some of the things we all say between 8pm and 6am

This is precisely one of the things that has been skewed by Boz, as well.

It would have taken very little effort on his part to build this portion of his case better.

I am going to chalk this and his interactions up to being green, but this is a murder case. I think maybe he should have championed the charge to let the state leave this case alone for another few months to clear up all of those things and back them up with a few well placed witnesses.

If BC walks, I think the mistakes that will have led to that that did not come from CPD, and if BC is guilty, I think that Boz had every opportunity to fix it, say WAIT. Let's get this right. And I think he could have either A) been more honest and bolstered the case for a win or B) at least sorted it all out enough to still have usable evidence. MOO

Hindsight is always 20/20. My personal opinion: BZ was the most "tech savvy" of the others in the office. He is very green (especially back in 2008) and he thought he could handle the tech stuff. He was in over his head because he didn't understand as much as he thought he did. But he wanted to "impress the bosses" and by the time he realized that it was more in depth than what he understood, it was too late. Like I said, that's my take with just the bits I saw during this trial.

If the sim card was intentionally deleted, this was a railroad job, not an inept police department.

Exactly. Before that I gave the CPD the benefit of the doubt and thought the detective's actions were accidental. But the SIM card was the tipping point for me. It changed everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marni