State v Bradley Cooper 5-3-11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the corruption shown in the Cary NC PD during this trial, I would avoid it at all costs regardless at this point.

I didn't see any "corruption" during the trial but I guess it all depends on which side of the fence slats you're looking through. Do wish more people felt the same as you though so feel free to talk it up. It's getting pretty crowded on our streets these days since Cary is always ranked one of the top places to live in the US. :tyou:

Thank you! This is exactly what I fear is/will be happening in jury deliberations. You have technical details in the case and perhaps some non-technical people trying to make sense of it. The prosecution should have been clearer about how exactly it is done with the Cisco router. I have a very hard time believing it's difficult to program a Voip phone system to place calls automatically (not exactly earth-shattering concept)...but many people on this board are having a hard time processing this. Same people who couldn't program the VCR (or DVR).

Your right, it's not hard to program a VOIP system to auto generate a call, that is 22 seconds long. But to generate one that lasts 32 seconds, requires a script, written on a server/computer. And if it was so easy to do, why did the prosecution not demonstrate it in court?

Shall we make a running list of lies told in the prosecution closing arguments? I'll just put in the first bullet, and let everyone else add:

1) BC was one of 157 VoIP experts in the world

2) Cisco witness, PG, said there was software that could be used to spoof a call and no matter what you did it was 23 seconds (i.e. identical to the 23 second call at 6:05).

3) A VOIP expert is also an expert on wireless phones.

I thought when Boz put all the equipment up on the stand line up and then showed the dusty empty space in his office was very effective. It not only was a visual of the missing piece of equipment but it also showcased the complex techy evidence, along with showing Brad is a smarty pants with this stuff.......making him very capable of spoofing.

2) Cisco witness, PG, said there was software that could be used to spoof a call and no matter what you did it was 23 seconds (i.e. identical to the 23 second call at 6:05).

4) That there was not a pair of missing shoes, when every detective testified that the shoes in the Turkey Trot photo from November of 2006 were missing.

5) That entomology was based on lots of larvae, when the ento testified it was based on 2.

6) That a 3825 would have possibly fit in the spot with missing dust (alright, this is mostly misleading, but it counts as a lie).

IMO, the google search SCREAMS that it is not second degree.

The prosecution seems convinced that it's a first degree murder, but I agreed with the defense closing remarks on this point. A search for that type of location is not done in 41 seconds. It requires some careful consideration. We discussed this earlier and it made sense that Brad had scouted the area on bike, and then did a final check using google maps on July 11. Still, that wasn't presented in court. There are also problems with the time stamps on the maps, and I don't fully understand whether some zooming was done after entering the zip code, or whether there was clear information that the drainage ditch was specifically zoomed.

I thought when Boz put all the equipment up on the stand line up and then showed the dusty empty space in his office was very effective. It not only was a visual of the missing piece of equipment but it also showcased the complex techy evidence, along with showing Brad is a smarty pants with this stuff.......making him very capable of spoofing.

I'm capable of spoofing too... doesn't mean I've ever done it.

4) That there was not a pair of missing shoes, when every detective testified that the shoes in the Turkey Trot photo from November of 2006 were missing.

I think they meant her "real" running shoes were not missing...the ones that she normally wore running.

Shall we make a running list of lies told in the prosecution closing arguments? I'll just put in the first bullet, and let everyone else add:

1) BC was one of 157 VoIP experts in the world

5) That entomology was based on lots of larvae, when the ento testified it was based on 2.

6) That a 3825 would have possibly fit in the spot with missing dust (alright, this is mostly misleading, but it counts as a lie).

Anyone else care to add?

I guess I must have the anomaly. He vacuums, he dusts and he does all the grocery shopping. He also cooks. (How did I get so lucky?) But he doesn't touch the laundry. I had to go somewhere one day and asked him to put the dog bed/blanket in the dryer. I was walking out the door and said, "If you can figure out how to turn on the dryer". If was a joke but not. He hasn't done the laundry in over 30 years.

After 43 years, mine does it all. Even laundry. He doesn't *dust* like I *dust*, but if something is dusty, he will take a damp cloth and wipe all the dust up. He does wipe the computer stuff on occasion. Now he won't get out the Orange Glo and do the end tables or anything, but he will damp cloth dust up. :great: He cooks, cleans up the kitchen, vacuums, grocery shop, etc. And he takes care of me, even when I'm sad or crabby. :fence: But then I take care of him too. Now days my back won't allow me to work physically like I used to, but if I can't 'do it', I still keep him company and as he says 'offer moral support'. :seeya:

I think they meant her "real" running shoes were not missing...the ones that she normally wore running.

He stated "This is her most recent pair of shoes" (which is correct) and then he said, "this is the pair before that." That is not correct. Her most recent pair was bought in 2007, the other Saucony's in 2006. And we've had testimony that she alternated out her shoes, and would have worn both.

The prosecution seems convinced that it's a first degree murder, but I agreed with the defense closing remarks on this point. A search for that type of location is not done in 41 seconds. It requires some careful consideration. We discussed this earlier and it made sense that Brad had scouted the area on bike, and then did a final check using google maps on July 11. Still, that wasn't presented in court. There are also problems with the time stamps on the maps, and I don't fully understand whether some zooming was done after entering the zip code, or whether there was clear information that the drainage ditch was specifically zoomed.

I agree, the google map zoom would have been much more effective with some evidence of an earlier site visit or earlier search. 41 seconds is not, by itself, damning evidence.

I think this is a very tough case for any attorney on both sides. I didn't feel as critical as some others seem to feel. Two hours isn't that long of time to summarize each side, so of course each attorney could have left something out here and there. If you listen to Boz, he had very good points. I found him effective and passionate. Cummings may have come off as disgusted by Brad, which I actually found understandable. I think his heart is in this case. I really don't get the criticism of his slow and elderly ways of speaking. Just doesn't bother me that much. I understand it is only the jurors that matter though.

So you can agree that it would have been no big deal for BC to accomplish this.

I don't think anyone would argue that it couldn't have been done. However, it could not have been done with the equipment found in the home, and it could not have been done without leaving some traces.

Your right, it's not hard to program a VOIP system to auto generate a call, that is 22 seconds long. But to generate one that lasts 32 seconds, requires a script, written on a server/computer. And if it was so easy to do, why did the prosecution not demonstrate it in court?

Try searching the web for "automated VOIP calls dropping after 20 secs". 22 secs is not a written in stone rule with every router. It's common, or at least was in 2008. It's a bug that gets fixed...probably by a person like BC. Makes sense that NC complained about calls getting dropped. Also adds credence to the 6:05am call being a test run or didn't work the way he wanted.

I don't think anyone would argue that it couldn't have been done. However, it could not have been done with the equipment found in the home, and it could not have been done without leaving some traces.

You know that for a fact or is that what you want to believe?

I will admit, I was les than impressed with Cummings in his delivery. But I could see his emotions, and I could see with years of experience under his belt, he was perhaps just frustrated with the debate over what he sees to be a totally guilty verdict.

But his ending killed me. I still have a lump in my throat, perhaps because I have been strangled before, and know what is going through someones mind when it is happening. But what sold me more than anything else was when I watched the ending again, and saw BC's expression. Can you see how much he blinks? That is supposed to be a sign of lying, and some researchers will disagree with that, but the only thing I know, is that I could not tear my eyes away. At first, I thought Cummings had totally lost his mind, and didn't know where he was. (Not saying this to be funny...but i don't think you will hold it against me for thinking that.)

And then, when I knew what was going on, my eyes were glued, and Brad's were blinking away, along with that smirk, that made me feel so sick to my stomach. No matter what anyone has thougt to this point, seeing his reaction made me feel sick. The thought of him going free over disorganization in the Pro's trial makes me sick. You could almost see him remembering the act in that moment. It was horrible, and I wish I had never seen it, because the thought of him going free due to CPD mistakes or pros errors makes me want to cry.

If he had not done that to her, there would have been a semblance of emotion seeing the act from the killer's point of view, and waiting out the time. Yet again, there was nothing. Even if he hated NC so much he couldn't grieve her death, at least he would have shown emotion at the possible killer in those last moments for his own presevation.

Instead, he blinks as if he has a hair in his eye....

7)( This isn't really a lie, but very misleading. ) Cummings put up the turkey trot photo and said the photo was several years old when referring to her shoes and shorts that were never found....but at the time of the murder, the photo was only 7 months old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member