Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter, Is Dead

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Shelly, thanks for that report.
Linette, that was the first thought I had :(

<<He was a great advocate for protecting the animals and australian environment and I do not think one mistake should overshadow that.>>

Well said Edinburgh.
Australia will be in mourning for such a great guy.

narlacat said:

<<He was a great advocate for protecting the animals and australian environment and I do not think one mistake should overshadow that.>>

Well said Edinburgh.
I am in Sydney and our whole office is in shock. Very sad indeed.

I am in shock too, my phone keeps beeping with messages from friends, every message is about Steve and every message someone says 'Crikey'!
God love him, he was such a character and all round good guy.

:eek:
narlacat said:

Well said Edinburgh.
You're welcome narla. I cannot wrap my head around this. I know what he did was dangerous but I don't know, I guess I thought he was invinsible.

Edinburghlass, I assumed you were in England. Welcome to Sydney, I live about 70 miles north of you. I so agree with everything you said and you said it a lot better than I could have.

I am sitting here trying to grasp the enormity of this for Terri and those 2 babies. I had not seen much of Bob since the croc incident but you could see how much Bindi adored her Dad and she seemed so much like him. I saw a program where she had a snake wrapped around her. :eek:

Linette, me too!

Thanks Shelly Beach - I joined this forum when I was living in Edinburgh but have been back in Sydney since March.

I assume Shelly Beach is a reference to where you are? I was born and bred in Terrigal!

dingo said:
Steve did a lot of good for our wildlife and was certainly a unique charactor..all I can say is ...Crikey were sure going to miss him:( .
Steve did a lot for our native animals .Aussies will miss Steve because he was a 'one' off charecter. RIP Steve and thanks for raising the awareness for all our native critters.

I am shocked by this, although I knew he'd be killed by one of the animals he dealt with eventually.

RIP, Mate, and God be with Terri and their 2 children.

EdinburghLass said:
Thanks Shelly Beach - I joined this forum when I was living in Edinburgh but have been back in Sydney since March.

I assume Shelly Beach is a reference to where you are? I was born and bred in Terrigal!
Terrigals a great little spot :)

You gotta love NSW :D

Terri has just been informed and is making her way home to Cairnes.
Cant post a link as I heard it on tv.

kazzbar said:
Steve did a lot for our native animals .Aussies will miss Steve because he was a 'one' off charecter. RIP Steve and thanks for raising the awareness for all our native critters.
That's what he did, he raised the level of awareness, he was your larger than life, in your face Aussie tough guy.
DK, you're right, it was inevitable I guess, he was a crazy guy.

dingo said:
Terri has just been informed and is making her way home to Cairnes.
Cant post a link as I heard it on tv.
She's gotta be devastated. I can't even imagine. How heartbreaking!

Thanks Dingo :)
God knows, she probably always knew when they said goodbye that it could very well be their last goodbye.

:( Count me in as not surprised, but very sad for him and his poor family.

I would like to say something that has always struck me when I watched his shows. Sure-he was sometimes way over the top and I didn't like that stunt he pulled either. But-the thing that sticks with me is how he was always careful to put the little animal, reptile-etc back where he found it. I always remember how he would say "Oh this little guy is scared, let's be careful..etc". Even when a "little guy" had his lil teeth locked down-we never saw him move in a harsh or mean way towards the animals.

He really, really did care about them. That was very clear to me.

Rest in Peace! :angel:

scandi said:
Yes, it could have been a Croc. Virtually the same animal. I saw it happen, so there is no disputing the truth to the matter. He had to have been on a wild ego trip - was not his normal self as I remember, and maybe he regretted doing this after all.

He was just a nip away from manslaughter, and his baby was helpless.

Like I said, I feel a loss when anyone dies. But I'm not going to ignore such a truth, especially when I belong to an organization like WS that always fights to keep children safe.

Scandi

That was all over television when he did that. I watched it to and couldn't understand why he would do that. The baby was just a tiny tiny baby. I don't think that it impressed many people.

I'm sad for his wife and children too. I wonder how his wife could stand him putting his life in danger so many times? She must be a strong woman. It's a shame because it seems like such a waste of a young life. God bless his family.

Hopefully this will put an end to the recent trend to save animals by making them out to be rather harmless, when they aren't. There was the shark expert who was bitten on the leg while lecturing on how sharks aren't dangerous, there was the grizzly guy who was eaten by one, and now Steve killed while trying to "demystify" the string rays. These are still dangerous animals, and should be treated as such.

Endinburghlass, you would be correct, we sold our house at Shelly Beach about 3 months ago and now we are at Bateau Bay. What a small world. :)

I just heard on the news, well I think I heard it. I am trying to post, read and watch TV all at the same time. Oh and not lets forget about those pesky phone calls and msgs. You are right narla, I have had so many and everyone says "Crikey"

Anyhow, I am sure I heard that there had only been 2 stingray attacks in Australia. If that is true then I guess he was one of the unluckiest people on earth. He has wrestled crocs and god knows what else and yet he is killed by a stingray. :(

Just hearing that stingrays arent really considered too dangerous...only 2 deaths by stingray in Australias recorded history...Steve was making a doco on tiger sharks which are found it that area...he was proberly more concerned about them.

We must have been posting at the same time Shelly:D

Stingray Injuries and Death

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/stingray_injury/page3_em.htm
Death, though rare, has been reported from a puncture of the heart or abdomen and from loss of blood.

The stinger, or spine near the base of the tail, is hard and sharp with backward pointing barbs (retroserrations) that can cause a jagged cut. It can be difficult to remove from a wound because of the back-facing barbs. There can be 1-4 spines at the base of the ray’s tail depending on the species.

A skinlike covering, the sheath, over the stinger encloses the venom glands. The spine lies in a groove along the tail. Injury from a stingray can damage a person's muscles or tendons in addition to the cut or puncture wound. Part of the sheath and spine can be left in the wound. The venom is composed of many different substances that cause tissue to break down and die as well as cause severe pain.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back