Steven Avery: Guilty of Teresa Halbach's Murder?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Is Steven Avery responsible for the murder of Teresa Halbach?

• He did it

Votes: 253 29.7%
  • Some other guy did it

Votes: 67 7.9%
  • Looks guilty at this point

Votes: 74 8.7%
  • Not guilty based on evidence I've seen thus far

Votes: 195 22.9%
  • Undecided, but believe new trial is in order

Votes: 254 29.8%
  • Undecided all around; more information required

Votes: 55 6.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read RJ owned the weapons in the Avery trailer, and that RJ was also the owner of the trailer Steven lived in. He also testified in court.

But with SA living there, the guns were in his "possession". Can't help with the hunting question with the 50 calibur muzzleloader, the hunter in the house has gone to bed lol Pretty sure a 22 is NOT used for hunting deer though.

Was there ever any forensic ballistic evidence that the weapons in the Avery trailer were recently fired after TH was missing?

I don't recall that at all Karinna. Culhane did swab and test the 22 though. She tested the barrel and the trigger.

http://www.stevenaverycase.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Steven-Avery-Trial-Exhibit-313.pdf

Item DD - one .22 caliber rifle (agency tag# 647)
Item DD1- swabbings from the trigger and trigger guard of item DD
Item DD2- swabbings from the end of the barrel of item DD

Blood was not detected from items H, Q, W, AC, AJ, AK, Cl, CJ1, CJ2 , CR2 , CR3 , CR5 , CR6 , CS, DD or EG.

In addition, human DNA isolation was also performed on items All, A23, AJ, AK, L, M, N, T, S, U, CR1, DD1 and DD2 . Partial DNA profiles were obtained from items A23 and DD1 . Due to the limited genetic information these profiles are insufficient for interpretation.

A trace level of human DNA was detected from items L, N and DD2 . No human DNA was detected from items L, S and U. No further analyses were performed on these items

But with SA living there, the guns were in his "possession". Can't help with the hunting question with the 50 calibur muzzleloader, the hunter in the house has gone to bed lol Pretty sure a 22 is NOT used for hunting deer though.
.50 caliber muzzle-loaders are common with deer hunting. You usually don't need any sort of license or background check for them. They are a bit of a pain to load, but it allows you to sort of hearken back to the olden days of Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone and other pioneer woodsmen. Plus you're only likely to get one shot at whatever you're aiming at, so you can kind of show off your marksmanship skills.

With a .22, you'd probably be better off trying to throw the rifle at deer than shoot it at them. .22 is fine for squirrels and varmints. It's a very common caliber for people who like shooting for fun. The bullets are cheap, that's why/how the owner of the land fired between 2000 and 3000 rounds on the property. A local sporting goods store occasionally puts boxes of 500 .22 rounds on sale for $20. Other calibers are closer to 50 rounds for $20.
.22 caliber guns tend to be quite cheap as well.

The black powder gun would be very effective as a hunting weapon. It would be similar to the sort of weapons carried by the Lewis & Clark expedition across the North American continent and fully capable of stopping any animal someone would likely come across in Wisconsin. With the caveat that you would probably get only one shot.

I had the opportunity to use some of these long guns and pistols at an event celebrating the era of trappers and traders between the time of the Revolutionary War and the Civil War (along with other skills like knife and axe throwing) at targets.

I don't recall that at all Karinna. Culhane did swab and test the 22 though. She tested the barrel and the trigger.

http://www.stevenaverycase.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Steven-Avery-Trial-Exhibit-313.pdf

Item DD - one .22 caliber rifle (agency tag# 647)
Item DD1- swabbings from the trigger and trigger guard of item DD
Item DD2- swabbings from the end of the barrel of item DD

Blood was not detected from items H, Q, W, AC, AJ, AK, Cl, CJ1, CJ2 , CR2 , CR3 , CR5 , CR6 , CS, DD or EG.

In addition, human DNA isolation was also performed on items All, A23, AJ, AK, L, M, N, T, S, U, CR1, DD1 and DD2 . Partial DNA profiles were obtained from items A23 and DD1 . Due to the limited genetic information these profiles are insufficient for interpretation.

A trace level of human DNA was detected from items L, N and DD2 . No human DNA was detected from items L, S and U. No further analyses were performed on these items
Thanks for posting up the info.missy.

Well considering TH was supposedly shot with a 22, as per the version from the state, and what they stated their forensic evidence detected on the magic bullet, we know now that according to KZ's forensic testing that just isn't true.
So there is that.

I thought the 22 belonged to the owner of where Avery was living? And do you have a link that supports what you are saying about what weapons Avery owned/ TIA.

In his possession and owning are two different things where I come from ...

Well considering TH was supposedly shot with a 22, as per the version from the state, and what they stated their forensic evidence detected on the magic bullet, we know now that according to KZ's forensic testing that just isn't true.
So there is that.

All we know is that KZ found no bone on the bullet in question. Doesn't mean Teresa was not shot with that bullet. According to Brendan, Teresa was shot 10 times and only 2-3 in the head.

Kathleen Zellner‏Verified account @ZellnerLaw
We will be with you at 12:30 pm CT. Buckle-up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! @MakingAMurderer @netflix @Newsweek @BBCBreaking @guardian @Telegraph @lifeafterten @michellemalkin #ShiningtheLight

this is in about 6 hours. I will be at work, but will try to check in and see if it's anything interesting ;-)

Use caution ... don't get to excited ... :p:D

I won't lol but if KZ had found TH's blood in the Dassey garage, I suspect she would have already filed a motion as you said instead of announcing it on Twitter.

All we know is that KZ found no bone on the bullet in question. Doesn't mean Teresa was not shot with that bullet. According to Brendan, Teresa was shot 10 times and only 2-3 in the head.
But Brendan was confabulating.

But Brendan was confabulating.

In your opinion ... IMO, a lot of truths in Brendan's story. Except when he said @ trial he got his ideas from the book "Kiss the Girls", a 464 page novel. Must have taken BD a long long time to read that book at a 4th grade reading level.

Not really sure what that has got to do with my post you quoted?

You asked for a link on on the guns in Avery's trailer - both of them were in photos taken by police. Doesn't matter if SA owned them or not.

IMO the truths in Brendan's story is that he did not see Teresa when he was dropped off from school, went home and played video games, and has no idea what might have happened to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member