Steven Avery: Guilty of Teresa Halbach's Murder?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Is Steven Avery responsible for the murder of Teresa Halbach?

• He did it

Votes: 253 29.7%
  • Some other guy did it

Votes: 67 7.9%
  • Looks guilty at this point

Votes: 74 8.7%
  • Not guilty based on evidence I've seen thus far

Votes: 195 22.9%
  • Undecided, but believe new trial is in order

Votes: 254 29.8%
  • Undecided all around; more information required

Votes: 55 6.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
HELPINGHAND: My two cents on your questions.

CAR KEY: It is possible that the key found in Avery's trailer was a spare. My wife has a huge key ring and she sometimes attaches the spare key to the key ring. Even if Teresa didn't have a spare key, the fact is that Avery's DNA was found on the key. IMO, Avery advocates want it both ways. They argue that law enforcement went through two locked doors at the Clerk's Office, planted Avery's blood in 6 locations inside Teresa's vehicle, but decided NOT to use that blood to plant other pieces of forensic evidence. This includes Avery's Touch DNA being found on the hood of Halbach's vehicle and, of course, Avery's Touch DNA being found on the key.

Colburn's call to dispatch has been proven to be much ado about nothing. It was a gotcha moment created through selective editing by the filmmakers of the Netflix documentary. If the filmmakers had no agenda, they would have included portions of Colburn's testimony that showed the impetus for this call was Detective Weigert giving Colburn permission to run the plates of Teresa's vehicle. In addition, Strang ignored Colburn's claim that he made the call on 11/3/05, and went with his own theory that the call was placed on 11/4/05.

THE BONES: The only concrete conclusions rendered at trial regarding human bone analysis are as follows...

- Dr. Eisenberg was of the opinion that the fire pit in Avery's yard was the main burn pit

- Bones found in that pit contained fragments from every bone in Teresa's body from the neck down

- Three larger bones were found in a burn barrel owned by Avery's sister

- Portions of a tire(s) were used as an accelerant in BOTH the fire pit and a burn barrel located 20 feet from Avery's front door

- Portions of a tire(s) were found entwined with the bone fragments

- Mixed in with the bone fragments were screws, nails, wires, 5 clothing rivets from Teresa's denim jeans, teeth from a zipper, and ammunition/shell casings

- Bevelling in two skull fragments demonstrated that Teresa was shot once in the rear of the head and once in the side of the head

People certainly have the right to engage in fanatasy narratives, but the facts indicate that Teresa's clothing and her body were thrown into the same fire pit where a bonfire was set in the early evening of 10/31/05. Yard debris was thrown on top of Teresa's body and the steel tire belts literally melted around some of the bone fragments. Teresa's palm pilot, cell phone, and digital camera was tossed into a burn barrel in that same area. Teresa's personal belongings were then set on fire in that barrel.

Three larger bones were later placed in a burn barrel located across the road from Avery's residence. After the fire died down, a shovel found in the fire pit may have been used to break up Teresa's bones. IMO, all of this evidence points to Steven Avery as being the lone criminal agent in the DEATH of Teresa Halbach. I don't believe that Brenden Dassey took part in Teresa's murder, but I am convinced that he assisted his uncle in some form or fashion.

BLOOD/DNA: What is left out of the "there is no way they could clean everything" narrative is that Avery/Dassey (e.g., primarily Avery) had 5 days to clean two small areas. Avery's bedroom was extremely small and Teresa's upper body would have taken up a very small area of the garage floor. It's important to note that when Luminal was sprayed in an area close to where the bullet fragment was found, a 3-4 foot portion of that concrete floor glowed brightly. It was determined that the Luminal reacted to bleach on the garage floor. Upon his return home, Dassey's mother asks him how he got bleach on the front of his clothes and Dassey told her that he was helping his uncle clean the garage. Coincidence? I think not.

TERESA'S VEHICLE: You need to look at the pictures taken by Nicole Sturm and the forensics team. The car is obscured by pieces of plywood, tree branches, and a car seat. The license plates were also removed and were later found in another vehicle on the Avery compound. Just another in a long line of facts left out of the Netflix documentary. Avery's blood was not found in two places inside the LOCKED vehicle, but in six locations. Teresa's DNA was found in the back of the vehicle in the form of a bloody transfer stain from her hair. If the "real" perps wanted Avery to take the fall for the murder, why obscure the vehicle? Why not place it in plain sight?

MOTIVE: After Avery was placed in jail, two women came forward stating that Avery had raped them in 2004. The women did not know one another, yet both women stated that he threatened to kill their entire family if they reported the assault to the police. What motivates a sexual sadist to act upon his fantasies? Individuals who commit these heinous crimes are motivated by self-gratification.

HOOD LATCH: It's important to note that INSIDE Teresa's vehicle, there were 8 latent prints that did not have enough distinguishable characteristics to be sourced to a specific individual. Welcome to real world forensics. This isn't television, the movies, or a slanted documentary. There are no "should haves" in the world of forensics. Avery opened the hood of Teresa's vehicle in order to disable it. This effort resulted in his DNA being left on the latch, but not enough to produce distinguishable prints. In terms of the technician not wearing gloves, it would be highly unlikely that he wouldn't have left his own prints on the latch AND magically transfer Avery's skin cells on that same latch.

This is one of the best posts I have read on all of the SA/ MaM threads.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Murtagh21, I whole heartedly agree with them and it is great to have someone with a clear conviction like myself that Avery is Guilty. The only thing I disagree with is Dassey's innocence. IMHO he is Guilty and not the Dumb Kid everyone makes out. If you read (whilst listening to) the transcripts of his first couple of interviews (not given under Caution) he gives too much away. The pair of them need to rot in Jail.

I believe very poor investigation in the first rape case which should be addressed in civil court with a judgment for Avery. It's also very clear he murdered that woman and the cash from the civil suit should be put in a cell just outside of his reach.

What a superb post. Avery is Guilty and I only wish that the option to Fry Him was still available.... Dassey is guilty too, for those that are still reading...... The Docu Series was good though - that said, it did not Hoodwink clever people....

CAR KEY: It is possible that the key found in Avery's trailer was a spare. My wife has a huge key ring and she sometimes attaches the spare key to the key ring. Even if Teresa didn't have a spare key, the fact is that Avery's DNA was found on the key. IMO, Avery advocates want it both ways. They argue that law enforcement went through two locked doors at the Clerk's Office, planted Avery's blood in 6 locations inside Teresa's vehicle, but decided NOT to use that blood to plant other pieces of forensic evidence. This includes Avery's Touch DNA being found on the hood of Halbach's vehicle and, of course, Avery's Touch DNA being found on the key.

Colburn's call to dispatch has been proven to be much ado about nothing. It was a gotcha moment created through selective editing by the filmmakers of the Netflix documentary. If the filmmakers had no agenda, they would have included portions of Colburn's testimony that showed the impetus for this call was Detective Weigert giving Colburn permission to run the plates of Teresa's vehicle. In addition, Strang ignored Colburn's claim that he made the call on 11/3/05, and went with his own theory that the call was placed on 11/4/05.

THE BONES: The only concrete conclusions rendered at trial regarding human bone analysis are as follows...

- Dr. Eisenberg was of the opinion that the fire pit in Avery's yard was the main burn pit

- Bones found in that pit contained fragments from every bone in Teresa's body from the neck down

- Portions of a tire(s) were used as an accelerant in BOTH the fire pit and a burn barrel located 20 feet from Avery's front door

- Mixed in with the bone fragments were screws, nails, wires, 5 clothing rivets from Teresa's denim jeans, teeth from a zipper, and ammunition/shell casings

- Bevelling in two skull fragments demonstrated that Teresa was shot once in the rear of the head and once in the side of the head

People certainly have the right to engage in fanatasy narratives, but the facts indicate that Teresa's clothing and her body were thrown into the same fire pit where a bonfire was set in the early evening of 10/31/05. Yard debris was thrown on top of Teresa's body and the steel tire belts literally melted around some of the bone fragments. Teresa's palm pilot, cell phone, and digital camera was tossed into a burn barrel in that same area. Teresa's personal belongings were then set on fire in that barrel.

Three larger bones were later placed in a burn barrel located across the road from Avery's residence. After the fire died down, a shovel found in the fire pit may have been used to break up Teresa's bones. IMO, all of this evidence points to Steven Avery as being the lone criminal agent in the DEATH of Teresa Halbach. I don't believe that Brenden Dassey took part in Teresa's murder, but I am convinced that he assisted his uncle in some form or fashion.

BLOOD/DNA: What is left out of the "there is no way they could clean everything" narrative is that Avery/Dassey (e.g., primarily Avery) had 5 days to clean two small areas. Avery's bedroom was extremely small and Teresa's upper body would have taken up a very small area of the garage floor. It's important to note that when Luminal was sprayed in an area close to where the bullet fragment was found, a 3-4 foot portion of that concrete floor glowed brightly. It was determined that the Luminal reacted to bleach on the garage floor. Upon his return home, Dassey's mother asks him how he got bleach on the front of his clothes and Dassey told her that he was helping his uncle clean the garage. Coincidence? I think not.

TERESA'S VEHICLE: You need to look at the pictures taken by Nicole Sturm and the forensics team. The car is obscured by pieces of plywood, tree branches, and a car seat. The license plates were also removed and were later found in another vehicle on the Avery compound. Just another in a long line of facts left out of the Netflix documentary. Avery's blood was not found in two places inside the LOCKED vehicle, but in six locations. Teresa's DNA was found in the back of the vehicle in the form of a bloody transfer stain from her hair. If the "real" perps wanted Avery to take the fall for the murder, why obscure the vehicle? Why not place it in plain sight?

MOTIVE: After Avery was placed in jail, two women came forward stating that Avery had raped them in 2004. The women did not know one another, yet both women stated that he threatened to kill their entire family if they reported the assault to the police. What motivates a sexual sadist to act upon his fantasies? Individuals who commit these heinous crimes are motivated by self-gratification.

HOOD LATCH: It's important to note that INSIDE Teresa's vehicle, there were 8 latent prints that did not have enough distinguishable characteristics to be sourced to a specific individual. Welcome to real world forensics. This isn't television, the movies, or a slanted documentary. There are no "should haves" in the world of forensics. Avery opened the hood of Teresa's vehicle in order to disable it. This effort resulted in his DNA being left on the latch, but not enough to produce distinguishable prints. In terms of the technician not wearing gloves, it would be highly unlikely that he wouldn't have left his own prints on the latch AND magically transfer Avery's skin cells on that same latch.

I only just watched the series, fascinating to say the least......

I don't think that he is guilty based on the evidence.

One big issue for me is the officer that called in he number prior to her car being located. I'm no sure how this can be explained away with any logic.

I know SA isn't the sharpest tool in the shed but it's ridiculous to think that he left all that evidence laying around but with no sign of Teresa's blood or DNA in any location where it is alleged the murder took place.

If he is guilty and the police knew it then I think the evidence they did have was planted.

If he is innocent absolutely donot think it's a stretch to say he was set up for 36 million......

I only just watched the series, fascinating to say the least......

I don't think that he is guilty based on the evidence.

One big issue for me is the officer that called in he number prior to her car being located. I'm no sure how this can be explained away with any logic.

I know SA isn't the sharpest tool in the shed but it's ridiculous to think that he left all that evidence laying around but with no sign of Teresa's blood or DNA in any location where it is alleged the murder took place.

If he is guilty and the police knew it then I think the evidence they did have was planted.

If he is innocent absolutely donot think it's a stretch to say he was set up for 36 million......

Hi Inkpink,
I would spend some time looking at available evidence which is not in the Docu Series.... Here is a good place to start. http://www.stevenaverycase.org I would listen to the first interview that Avery & Dassey gave, whilst reading the text. It is damning. Dassey is not the Numpty his supporters suggest. He answers quickly and volunteers information without prompting.

As for Lenk calling in the licence plate? The date of that is disputed. Even if he did call it in before the car was found, it means nothing.

Avery not the sharpest tool in the box? Maybe. But he had just spent 18 years in Prison surrounded by an awful lot of people with theories on how to avoid leaving a trace of evidence. Burn the victim & bleach the scene. You do not need to be a Rocket Scientist to do that.

Finally, he lied. He made out in the beginning that TH did not turn up for the appointment. Why? Well, he realised other people had seen her there. Knowing he had burned her, and had bleached the garage, he knew it was going to be difficult to find a trace of her. However. He messed up. He left clues.

If you were going to frame someone for murder and has access to some of his blood, would you not do a better job than a couple of smears? No, you would spray that blood so that there was no doubt your suspect would unequivocally be linked to the victim.

No mate, it makes good TV, but the idea he was framed is ludicrous, in my humble opinion.

Hi Inkpink,
I would spend some time looking at available evidence which is not in the Docu Series.... Here is a good place to start. http://www.stevenaverycase.org I would listen to the first interview that Avery & Dassey gave, whilst reading the text. It is damning. Dassey is not the Numpty his supporters suggest. He answers quickly and volunteers information without prompting.

As for Lenk calling in the licence plate? The date of that is disputed. Even if he did call it in before the car was found, it means nothing.

Avery not the sharpest tool in the box? Maybe. But he had just spent 18 years in Prison surrounded by an awful lot of people with theories on how to avoid leaving a trace of evidence. Burn the victim & bleach the scene. You do not need to be a Rocket Scientist to do that.

Finally, he lied. He made out in the beginning that TH did not turn up for the appointment. Why? Well, he realised other people had seen her there. Knowing he had burned her, and had bleached the garage, he knew it was going to be difficult to find a trace of her. However. He messed up. He left clues.

If you were going to frame someone for murder and has access to some of his blood, would you not do a better job than a couple of smears? No, you would spray that blood so that there was no doubt your suspect would unequivocally be linked to the victim.

No mate, it makes good TV, but the idea he was framed is ludicrous, in my humble opinion.
It was Colborn, that called in the plates. Not Lenk.
If indeed this DID happen, I don't believe it " means nothing " JMO

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I haven't been back to the Avery thread for months but today I thought I would come see if anything was new.

I am so glad I did because I sincerely think this is one of the most concise post ever written about this case. Thank you for laying out the case which, imo, it so obvious that Avery is very guilty of this horrific crime. I still have the same opinion of guilt as I did when I followed his murder trial.

The police frame up and conspiracy to get Avery just doesn't impress me as being believable. None of them were even listed as plaintiffs in his lawsuit.

I still say he thought he was 10 feet tall and bullet proof since he had been exonerated in one case. He felt he was owed a rape and of course he had to murder his victim to silence her. That was the only way he could say he had been framed by the big bad police.

I don't see him getting a new trial. The 'he was framed' defense has been out there from the get go and has gone no where in over ten years now. His two appeals weren't successful either and the appellate courts knew all about what the defense was claiming. It got him no where. The higher courts look to see if there is verifiable evidence of wrongdoing and aren't impressed with mere claims and accusations which mean nothing.

What you have laid out is exactly what I have thought all along since the slanted documentary came out.

At first, I thought he might be innocent. Now, after having read transcripts, looked at the evidence, and tossed I don't know how many theories around, I believe he's guilty. Nothing else makes sense to me in light of the evidence.

I don't believe that he is guilty. I think he was very carefully framed for financial reasons. I don't believe a word that is said by anyone from the county who had anything to do with the investigation. Pulling in another prosecutor means nothing.

It's absolutely sickening to watch how Steven Avery's nephew was used to convict him, and that the nephew did not have proper representation. It's shocking that this happened and no one did anything to help.

It's absolutely sickening to watch how Steven Avery's nephew was used to convict him, and that the nephew did not have proper representation. It's shocking that this happened and no one did anything to help.

(Off topic --Otto! We really could have used your map skills in the recent Bosma murder trial. Nice to see your name again.)

This is one of the best posts I have read on all of the SA/ MaM threads.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Murtagh21, I whole heartedly agree with them and it is great to have someone with a clear conviction like myself that Avery is Guilty. The only thing I disagree with is Dassey's innocence. IMHO he is Guilty and not the Dumb Kid everyone makes out. If you read (whilst listening to) the transcripts of his first couple of interviews (not given under Caution) he gives too much away. The pair of them need to rot in Jail.

Amen - and also, why in the world would a documentary not present ALL the facts! There should be some sort of regulation for this type of thing for those who don't have enough of a conscience to do so themselves!!!

Amen - and also, why in the world would a documentary not present ALL the facts! There should be some sort of regulation for this type of thing for those who don't have enough of a conscience to do so themselves!!!

I agree completely. This is the most one-sided, emotionally manipulative documentary I have ever seen. Having dug further, I also believe Dassey is guilty as charged. He got too many details correct on his own to have been fully coerced.

The image of Steven Avery as a gentle hick comes from one person, his cousin, who had every reason to lie. The CASO report reveals a very different person than Kim Ducat describes.

The girls who made the film weren't out to show the world Steven Avery's checkered past. They weren't out to show the world how his " one branch family tree " probably has more skeletons than I care to count, in their creaky closets.

They were however, out to show us all, the horrible injustice in this case & in our US judicial system. And it worked.

I'm fairly sure he killed her. The "documentary" didn't even show everything.

1. In the months leading up to Halbach's disappearance, Avery had called Auto Trader several times and always specifically requested Halbach to come out and take the photos.
2. Halbach had complained to her boss that she didn't want to go out to Avery's trailer anymore, because once when she came out, Avery was waiting for her wearing only a towel
On the day that Halbach went missing, Avery had called her three times, twice from a *67 number to hide his identity.
4. The bullet with Halbach's DNA on it came from Avery's gun, which always hung above his bed.
5. There was non-blood DNA evidence on the hood latch of Halbach's car. If you believe the police planted the DNA (which is possible) how would they have gotten his sweat WITHOUT him Avery realizing it?
6. As a kid he also tortured and killed an animal. That points to disturbing behavioral problems.
7. His ex-fiancee has also stated that he was abusive during their relationships. When a guy is abusive to one woman; he'll abuse others as well.
8. He had also been in trouble before for holding one of his female relatives at gunpoint.

Just want to take a moment to welcome the few new posters in this thread (not sure how I missed it before tonight lol)

I have spent months going over the documents that we have available (and from what I have read, it is only a drop in the bucket). I still don't sit on either side of the fence, but lean towards innocence, there was just too much wrong with the investigation.

We have many threads in this forum that go into more details about specific things.

Brendan's confessions:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?298297-Brendan-Dassey-and-False-Confessions

Kasia ~
1. On October 31st, he requested "the same photographer as the last time", not even by name. The time before that on October 10th, it was a hustle shot and he called her directly to get it done, not AutoTrader. I don't recall any other information saying he requested Theresa specifically.
2. She didn't complain to her boss, she mentioned it the another employee at AT, Dawn. She didn't even say that she didn't want to go out there anymore, she just mentioned it and said "ewwwww", it was chit chat. Dawn did testify to this outside of the jury.
3. that dang *67, I wish we had more records to know if SA was in the habit of doing that with every call to "outside" people.
4. That is the only piece of evidence that had her DNA on it that was found in the trailer/garage/anywhere. The defense was excluded from being present while this bullet was tested, worried about contamination. And what happens? She contaminates the test with her own DNA, and then proceeded to deviate from protocol and reported her findings anyway. Again.... the only DNA found in the garage/trailer belonging to TH, and they literally removed the walls, floor boards, carpet, etc.
5. The DNA found under the hood latch was found in April 2006, months after he was arrested and search warrants were executed, they had plenty of time and opportunity. Not to mention that the technician testified that he did not change gloves.
6. He wasn't a kid when the cat incident happened. You can read the incident report here: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?301719-Let-s-talk-about-the-cat I still find something odd about it all.... who tattles on themselves?
7/8. I agree, he was abusive. I'm not sure I believe all the "stories", but ultimately it doesn't matter, I do think that he is a douchecanoe to the people that are closest to him, but it doesn't mean he killed TH. I don't know if have read or know about any incidents that didn't involve someone close to him? I'm not sure what studies would say about that either lol but would be interesting. There are threads about his past behaviour as well.

As for the show not showing everything. I just don't think it would have been possible. Look how long it takes to read that CASO report. As much as I questioned everything in the documentary, I couldn't understand the determination of some that he was innocent and signing petitions wanting them to be released and on the flip side of that, I can't understand how some could just think they were 100% guilty after watching the doc. I am sure I have read at least 90% of what is available to us, and I still don't know either way with what I know LOL I do know that I can't wait until Zellner files something and I hope that it has some answers that most of us have been looking for, I think about this case all the time (although being summer, I am so busy, I don't even check here every day now :( )

I hope that anyone that has questions/opinions/thoughts will take the time to go through some of the threads and will add to them :)

I just read all 66 pages of it. Umm, I think Cameron needs meds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post of the day. I read all of them too and thought the same. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads