Steven Powell arrested in Washington State

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! Just wow! I just recently started following this case after the story of this creeper saying he was having an affair with Susan came out. The minute I heard that disgustingly creepy song he sang, I knew there was more to this case and now its come out. That poor woman probably found out about those two mens disgusting actions and was killed for it. This is just nasty!

I'm not an attorney or a cop so this is only my opinion. I'm thinking that after the search warrant and items collected they happened to see one photo and stopped going through it because they thought there might be a different crime involved. They had to go to a Judge and get another search warrant in order to finish viewing the remainder of the items. this was done.

I was thinking that maybe SP could get off and these items thrown out because the search warrant only stipulated it had to do with Susan Powell only. The cops did what they were suppose to do. THANK GOODNESS, now SP attorney cannot get these charges thrown out on a bad search.

My opinion only. However, since they were in the home legally, and since the pictures did include pictures of Susan taken without her permission, this seizure was absolutely legal. They will not throw these charges out. IMHO

Thanks. That makes sense.

So, the voyeur pictures - are they technically not considered "*advertiser censored*" because they are not of children engaging in sexual acts?

And how does something like this work? Can they charge him for every picture that he took? Or, if he, say, took 75 pictures in one sitting, does that count as one charge?

It would seem that this will be the proverbial tip of the iceberg. If he has this, I bet he has others.

Make a deal, Steve! The world needs your music! Don't spend the rest of your life in prison! Tell those Nazis at WVPD what you know, and maybe you can get out of prison with still enough time in your life to cut another album or two.

I understood that some of the pictures are of children engaging... They have just not included those on this set of charges. This set of charges took some time because they had to track down the females in the pictures. Kudos to police for following up on everything.

I hope LE checks SP's work computers and his desk and files.

I do. I make breakfast for dinner a couple times a month. Always have. That includes pancakes at times. Mostly biscuits, white gravy and eggs and left over ham.

About the arrest:

I was working out at the mini gym by myself and watched this on the TV the other night.

My jaw hit the treadmill, it's a wonder I didn't trip over it! WTH? I'm not sure I'm ready to rule out her Husband yet. He could be protecting Dad? Knowledge after the fact?

This is one very weird and interesting development! (I haven't followed Susan's threads for a long time). I hope they can track where this man was that night. Hopefully find Susan.

Just my thoughts, I'm still in shock at that interview.

I believe JP is solely responsible for the actual murder of Susan. However, I would not rule out Steve Powell as an accessory after the fact. I bet he knows a lot.

Chuck Cox would not say "in anticipation of Josh being arrested for the disappearance/kidnapping/murder" in a document trying to get custody of his grand kids if it was not likely and had good evidence to back it up. The police have told him something.

I read an article about this. It seemed to show that the Cox's had this petition ready to go in the event that JP was arrested. Now, however, Steve Powell has been arrested and the kids have been removed from the home, so they are essentially using a petition they prepared for a different eventuality.

I do not believe they have info to indicate JP is going to be arrested. I think they are acting based on recent events. But, hopefully this is the beginning of the end for JP as well. I really pray that he loses in court and that the kids are given to the Cox's. JP is very dangerous and I have no doubt he'd kill his kids rather than let the Cox's have them. Thank God they are in foster care right now.

They will gradually allow visitation with the children so the children can adapt and have a sound relationship with them. You have to remember if SP and JP stated in public vile things about their mother what did they talk about in front and to those kids? They have to be deprogrammed first.

From what I can gather, there are two Court jurisdictions at play right now. One is akin to what is a juvenile dependency court (here in CA). That is the court that determines what happens to kids who are removed from a home by child protective services in cases of abuse, neglect, etc. The second court is either probate or family court, in which guardianships are requested. In the latter, a more gradual introduction may be ordered, but in the former, it is more likely that the kids would be immediately given to the Cox's with no gradual visitation.

In fact, given the circumstances, it is likely that in either court, the kids would be immediately given to the Cox's as being with them may be considered much better, despite any potential programming, than being in foster care.

I believe that should they win, the kids will immediately be placed in their care.

Right now, though, child protective services has the reins and has to complete their investigation and make recommendations. If that case is closed with no recommendation that the kids be removed in the long term, then the Cox's can still be heard in the family/probate court for guardianship, which is a different jurisdiction, and apparently the one their petition was filed in. Juvenile dependency court has priority in custody cases over probate or family court. Hence, their hearing was continued to determine what will happen with the social services investigation.

I am not sure that the kids have been totally programmed. The few times the Cox's have been able to see them, they did not report that the kids shied away from them or otherwise expressed any negativity towards them so I am hopeful that will not be a problem.

There will still be a fight with JP, though. he has not yet been charged and he may argue that the kids are safe with him, as his dad is in jail. I hope the court sees that this a great opportunity to get those kids away from this POI. he is a danger to them, IMO.

Finally, I heard or read on one report that the most Steve Powell faces if five years. Isn't one of the counts child *advertiser censored*? How can that be only five years?

My opinion only. However, since they were in the home legally, and since the pictures did include pictures of Susan taken without her permission, this seizure was absolutely legal. They will not throw these charges out. IMHO

I understood that some of the pictures are of children engaging... They have just not included those on this set of charges. This set of charges took some time because they had to track down the females in the pictures. Kudos to police for following up on everything.

Child *advertiser censored* does not have to be what you think of as adult *advertiser censored*. Any picture of a child that is focused specifically on the child's private area can be considered child *advertiser censored*.

A picture of a child on the toilet, in the shower, in the bathtub which is focused on the private area would be considered child *advertiser censored* in a heartbeat.

This may very well go federal.

If each count is 5 years he may not get more than 5 years... but he COULD. It just all depends...

The sequence of events is interesting. Short-handed it goes like this:

1) Search warrant obtained
2) Search of house
3) Search of Topaz Mntn, shallow grave discovered (this wasn't luck)
4) Arrest of SP

Steven knows where the body is, and I'm sure they will try to bargain with him to get this revealed. The Topaz search was based on knowledge obtained from his home. They didn't give the child *advertiser censored* info to WA police until the shallow grave was found. Then they wanted Steven Powell arrested. Now I think they will press him on the Topaz info, and demand to know where the body was moved to.

MOO.

My guess is SP is just now able of hitting the cot. Loooong night. LOL

Child *advertiser censored* does not have to be what you think of as adult *advertiser censored*. Any picture of a child that is focused specifically on the child's private area can be considered child *advertiser censored*.

A picture of a child on the toilet, in the shower, in the bathtub which is focused on the private area would be considered child *advertiser censored* in a heartbeat.

This may very well go federal.

If each count is 5 years he may not get more than 5 years... but he COULD. It just all depends...

...what if he shared/exchanged the pictures via the internet? Different charge? More time?

PDF: Chuck Cox's petition for custody
http://media.trb.com/media/acrobat/2011-09/64969277-23105352.pdf

PDF: Motion for Temp Order in Powell Child Custody Case
http://media.trb.com/media/acrobat/2011-09/391224140-23105804.pdf

PDF: Proposed Schedule in Powell Child Custody Case
http://media.trb.com/media/acrobat/2011-09/392033760-23105546.pdf

PDF: Affidavit in Powell Child Custody Case
http://media.trb.com/media/acrobat/2011-09/23456300479200-23105853.pdf

For a great summary of Susan's disappearance in the beginning, please refer to the Affidavit.

Beware of things that will make you :sick:

Josh Powell saying "I'm in over my head" after her disappearance because he didn't want to talk to police about his "story". :maddening:

Chuck's description of the "camp" site and how it was too cold to camp there for scouts that left the area before Josh "might" have shown up.

Josh's email "WE are not comfortable with you coming to see the boys"

Chuck saying that one of the boys pointed to a picture and said "Mommy ouueee" pointing to her chest. :(

Terrible, terrible! How strong Chuck has been to trust in LE knowing everything that he know!!

SP gives me this "It puts the lotion in the basket" vibe. IMO, he seems a little effeminate. Wonder if he has any lady garments in his closet (besides the religious ones).

Prosecutors said videos were found on discs labeled "Taking bath-1," "Taking bath-2," and "Open window in back house."

"In these subfolders there are images of two girls who were as young as eight and ten-years-old at the time of the recording. The girls are unclothed and taking a bath, using the toilet, and getting dressed or undressed. In many of the images the photographer zooms in on the girls' breasts, buttocks, and genital areas," prosecutors said.

Troyer told Q13 they had been in contact with many of the other alleged victims.

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-s...rested-in-washington-20110922,0,4639336.story

ETA: Police say they are confident all of the pictures were taken by Steven Powell. They say several of the pictures were taken at angles specifically related to Steven's bedroom.

There are other men living with SP. I have no doubt SP is the perv who was taking the pictures, but I wonder if SP will try to blame one of his sons for the stuff on the computer.

Considering Susan was not allowed to use the computer in her home without Josh's permission, and didn't even have the password, I have to wonder what kind of stuff Josh was hiding on his?

Lets hope LE has Jp interrogated and in their sight. Without dad Jp could take suicide as a way out. Imo, there is a big bond between them.
Excuse my tap a talk on this android.

I think that is correct.

If you look at Count XV, they do include at least some such pictures in this set of charges. I don't know what the state law is on it, but I'm guessing the voyeurism charges might not be enough to keep him locked up. But the KP charge is. And also enough to get the kids out of that house.

Anyone else feel like Josh might off himself at any moment? Sorry for the crude thought.

I hope they are keeping an eye on him.

...what if he shared/exchanged the pictures via the internet? Different charge? More time?

I would think that it's like drugs. If you have some that you're using, you get charged with one thing. If you have enough that you obviously intend to sell them, you get charged with quite a lot more.

How sad would it be to find out your precious little girl had pictures of her in the shower being distributed among the seedy alleyways of the Internet? I become a little crazy when it comes to protecting my daughter - even from minor things. This kind of things would send me over the edge.

Possessing child *advertiser censored* and distributing child *advertiser censored* would be two separate charges, am I right?

I just re-watched the video (interview) when Steven Powell talks about "Susan being very sexual with (him)." Ugh! Knowing what we know now, senior Powell's comments take on a whole new meaning that :sick: Also makes me wonder if the episode where he describes touching Susan's legs after she had shaved is preserved on video...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucyLoo313