Steven Powell arrested in Washington State

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question about the removal of the kids. Don't get me wrong, I am SO glad those kids are away from these sick people, but how can they legitimately take them away when Josh hasn't been charged with anything? In the absence of everything else going on, outwardly they seemed to be well taken care of, etc. Let's pretend Josh had no idea his dad was a creeper...how can they just remove the kids like that?

Do you think they know something more regarding Josh?
Are they hoping Steve will roll over on Josh?
Are they wanting to question the kids?
Or is it simply that Josh was living in the home with his dad?

Again, I hope that the kids can go with Susan's parents, but I'm generally interested in knowing how they can take the kids away when he hasn't officially been charged with anything?

I mean, to play devil's advocate, say I found out my husband was doing this creepy stuff and I had absolutely no idea. If they took my kids away from me, I would be FURIOUS!

I guess I'm more concerned that the kids will go back to Josh since even though we feel he's guilty in some way, he hasn't been accused of being an unfit parent. KWIM?

IMHO - these boys were in a very unhealthy and possibly abusive situation. Given the pictures that were found, CPS will interview the boys to determine if they were victims before they allow the kids to go back home to Josh. IF abuse is found, there will be stipulations to them returning home.

I have personally watched CPS questioning kids that may have been victimized. They are VERY careful to make certain that the words and ideas come directly from the children and are not planted (in most cases, but I know not all cases).

I have a question about the removal of the kids. Don't get me wrong, I am SO glad those kids are away from these sick people, but how can they legitimately take them away when Josh hasn't been charged with anything? In the absence of everything else going on, outwardly they seemed to be well taken care of, etc. Let's pretend Josh had no idea his dad was a creeper...how can they just remove the kids like that?

Again, I hope that the kids can go with Susan's parents, but I'm generally interested in knowing how they can take the kids away when he hasn't officially been charged with anything?

I mean, to play devil's advocate, say I found out my husband was doing this creepy stuff and I had absolutely no idea. If they took my kids away from me, I would be FURIOUS!

I guess I'm more concerned that the kids will go back to Josh since even though we feel he's guilty in some way, he hasn't been accused of being an unfit parent. KWIM?

Some of us have asked the same questions and we don't have answers. Just questions. We don't know for sure what was found in those pictures. Only what we have been told. We don't know what the boys said when interviewed although I read in one of the articles that LE would like to talk to them. So have they talked to them or not?

We don't know if Child Services decided to do it as a precaution because of the nature of Steve's arrest since the children lived in the house. And, if he makes bail then the children would be in the house with someone arrested for child *advertiser censored*. Was the child *advertiser censored* indiscriminate of gender? We don't know.

I keep thinking there must have been a reason but, we just don't know anything for sure yet.

I suppose it could fall under the child at risk category, or maybe they felt Josh might hurt himself and the boys based on what they have uncovered. Hard to know but it sure sets my mind to spinning.

I missed that. Destroyed? Are you sure the judge didn't mean the transcriptions of the journals? It seems like the Coxes might want to have them. If their daughter never comes home, those would be quite precious. Gee, I sure hope they don't have to destroy the actual journals. That would be a shame. And very unfair. I think they should stay in the custody of LE, then be given to the Coxes when everything is final.

Thanks for clarifying. Bad wording on my part. Any copies and transcripts of the journal that the Powells had threatened to publish were ordered destroyed. No publication of the journal. One of several positive steps for Susan on Friday: no publication of the contents of her journal, Steven Powell arrested, the Powell children removed from the home. :great:

If Josh's sister Jennifer knew at a young age that her father was "weird', and had *advertiser censored*, magazines, etc, in the home, then surely the other siblings were aware too.

Jennifer seems to be the only sane member of this family, having distanced herself from her father 20 years ago.

I am wondering the very same thing. My thoughts are:

1) They fear the boys may have been abused and need to get them from the family who might coach them to say otherwise, or

2) They know more than they have told the public and Josh is somehow involved with this or is to be arrested shortly.

Yes, they did try to call Susan's cell phone until they found it in the home when the police broke in suspecting possible carbon monoxide poisoning of the entire family. Then:

•Approx. 3 p.m. : JoVonna Owings reaches Josh on his cell phone. JoVonna informed Josh police were at his house, that they were looking for him and that he needed to get home. Josh told JoVonna he was driving around West Valley City and that the children, then ages 4 and 2, were with him. Josh told JoVonna Susan was at work.
•Kiirsi Hellewell, Susan's best friend, said Susan's friends and family were frantic with worry.
•4:48 p.m.: Josh returned Jennifer's call (the family had frantically tried to reach Josh on his cell phone throughout the day)
•Approx. 6 p.m. - Josh arrives home; police are at the house

(Courtesy of Isabelle from Examiner. She has had very personal contact with the family and friends of Susan from the beginning.)

Notice that Josh says that he is driving around his own town WVC at 3:00, but he doesn't arrive home until 6:00 after hearing that his wife is missing. Very key to the suspicious feelings of everyone! Very, very hinky !!
Also, why would Josh assume Susan is at work when he told everyone he thought it was Sunday?!! If he realized it was indeed Monday, why didn't he call his boss to apologize for missing work?

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/130402668.html

I've been gone for the past few days and I just saw this on the news this morning.

My first thought is THOUSANDS?! of pictures. How many years does it take to collect thousands of pictures like this?

Second, could this break the case open? The cops could point out that child molesters are regularly abused in prison and offer him a deal to be separated from the general population if he gives up what he knows about Susan's disappearance. (I know they don't have proof of molestation but I think prisoners would view it the same. Not to mention the whole DIL love thing.)

Third, from the link above;

Steve was booked into the Pierce County Jail on Thursday night. Josh Powell's two children were taken into protective custody.

Could this enable the Cox's to gain control of the kids? Would the kids say something that could be very important to the case?

I averaged about 1,000 pictures a month for a while. I took 12,000 + pictures a year.
At a wedding I'd take 1,000 at once. On our Grand Canyon/National Park trip I took several thousand.
Spring pictures, fall pictures, Christmas pictures... I take more than other times.

So, if Steve Powell took 30+ pictures a day, he could have 2,000 pictures in 2 months. Or 3600 in a year, if he only took 10 a day.

If he's been doing this for 10 years?? He could have 120,000 pictures easily... just by taking 30 or so a day.
If you figure he misses a day... and then takes 100 another day... and we've only heard about 2,000 pictures...

I highly doubt there is only 2,000.

I guess it would depend on how many pictures you took at a time... how many were almost the same as others.... lots of factors.
Not to mention if any of them were not taken by him. You can download pictures just as quickly as you can take them.
Thousands of pictures wouldn't surprise me. I might be surprised if that is ALL there was...
Tens of thousands... sounds more likely to me. Unless he did get rid of some.

I don't have an answer, but here's a link to Wasington's CPS guide. If you scroll down, it sort of explains emergency situations and protective custody, which is what I believe applied in this situation.

http://www.dshs.wa.gov/pdf/publications/22-484.pdf

I think they may have felt that the children were at risk for 'imminent harm'... either there was some level of abuse/neglect (remember, there are all sorts of abuse and neglect, not just the first things that come to mind) AND/OR they felt that the remaining caregiver was a flight and/or violence risk post arrest.

MOO and just guesses, really.

:seeya:

I have read in articles that Josh and his siblings who live with Steve Powell are all unemployed. Steve Powell doesn't make a lot of money from what I've seen. Why isn't Josh working?? Why arent his sister and brother working? How in the heck do they live?

And how does Steve Powell afford to have high tech camera equipment??

I'm flummoxed.

CPS is an unchecked government agency. The caseworker does what he/she subjectively feels is correct and no one but a judge can stop his/her actions. CPS can remove children from homes if only one parent takes illegal drugs, if one parent calls the police about a domestic dispute, if a toddler somehow manages to get a door open and wanders outside on the porch, and thousands of other reasons. CPS took a mom's newborn baby in my town right after her delivery for 5 day because her drug screen was positive. She ate a poppy seed bagel sometime in the week before her delivery.....not kidding.
http://www.wpxi.com/news/25370016/detail.html
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10302/1098960-455.stm

CPS was removing children from moms INSIDE one of the battered women's shelters in my city (after the moms had moved OUT of the abusive homes). CPS stated they must remove the children because these mothers were negligent. They had the children in a dangerous environment (even though they had moved out). The women are now told when applying for gov. benefits to NOT tell anyone they are applying for benefits because they had to move into a battered women's shelter.

CPS will likely state that JP's children were in a "dangerous environment" and JP was negligent for not removing them from this environment.

I have read in articles that Josh and his siblings who live with Steve Powell are all unemployed. Steve Powell doesn't make a lot of money from what I've seen. Why isn't Josh working?? Why arent his sister and brother working? How in the heck do they live?

And how does Steve Powell afford to have high tech camera equipment??

I'm flummoxed.

Maybe he sells his songs!:floorlaugh:

Or he might be selling his pictures.............:puke:

I'm not sure why they removed them but I do know that cps works close
with the police and obviously there is some reason that they felt the kids
were not safe in that house.

There are many cases where one parent is abusive or does drugs and cps
will remove the children. They error on the side of the children and ask questions later.

I really don't think it will be that easy for Josh to get them back. Once cps
gets involved it is a long process to get them back.

Maybe he sells his songs!:floorlaugh:

Or he might be selling his pictures.............:puke:

Ugghhh. Those songs of his. Please tell me you were as creeped out as I was hearing his voice on those recordings.

I have gotten the heebie jeebies from this man from the get go.

Ugghhh. Those songs of his. Please tell me you were as creeped out as I was hearing his voice on those recordings.

Me too. thx! Both are very obvious now. They have been exposed. ha ha.

I didn't listen to him singing them. I read the words and that was enough for me! He makes my skin crawl!

Yes, they did try to call Susan's cell phone until they found it in the home when the police broke in suspecting possible carbon monoxide poisoning of the entire family. Then:

•Approx. 3 p.m. : JoVonna Owings reaches Josh on his cell phone. JoVonna informed Josh police were at his house, that they were looking for him and that he needed to get home. Josh told JoVonna he was driving around West Valley City and that the children, then ages 4 and 2, were with him. Josh told JoVonna Susan was at work.
•Kiirsi Hellewell, Susan's best friend, said Susan's friends and family were frantic with worry.
•4:48 p.m.: Josh returned Jennifer's call (the family had frantically tried to reach Josh on his cell phone throughout the day)
•Approx. 6 p.m. - Josh arrives home; police are at the house

(Courtesy of Isabelle from Examiner. She has had very personal contact with the family and friends of Susan from the beginning.)

Notice that Josh says that he is driving around his own town WVC at 3:00, but he doesn't arrive home until 6:00 after hearing that his wife is missing. Very key to the suspicious feelings of everyone! Very, very hinky !!

Did Susan work Sundays?
I thought Josh was supposed to think it was Sunday and that's why he wasn't at work himself. Why did he say Susan was at work? Wouldn't she have been at home or in church or something, on a Sunday?

Edit: I should read the thread before posting, I see gwenabob already posted this question.

Also, why would Josh assume Susan is at work when he told everyone he thought it was Sunday?!! If he realized it was indeed Monday, why didn't he call his boss to apologize for missing work?

Guess he thought he wouldn't be going back to work anyhow. Washington, here we come.

Yeah, and it will be somebody's job there in the LE's or DA's office to go through those pictures/CD's, etc., etc. How many times will that person have to wash his/her hands & take a hot shower when he/she gets home? And try to eat lunch or sleep at night?? :sick:
--------------------
What a sick freak.

I'd invest in the company that makes Alka-Seltzer about now.

I averaged about 1,000 pictures a month for a while. I took 12,000 + pictures a year.
At a wedding I'd take 1,000 at once. On our Grand Canyon/National Park trip I took several thousand.
Spring pictures, fall pictures, Christmas pictures... I take more than other times.

So, if Steve Powell took 30+ pictures a day, he could have 2,000 pictures in 2 months. Or 3600 in a year, if he only took 10 a day.

If he's been doing this for 10 years?? He could have 120,000 pictures easily... just by taking 30 or so a day.
If you figure he misses a day... and then takes 100 another day... and we've only heard about 2,000 pictures...

I highly doubt there is only 2,000.

I guess it would depend on how many pictures you took at a time... how many were almost the same as others.... lots of factors.
Not to mention if any of them were not taken by him. You can download pictures just as quickly as you can take them.
Thousands of pictures wouldn't surprise me. I might be surprised if that is ALL there was...
Tens of thousands... sounds more likely to me. Unless he did get rid of some.

I took over 1,000 pictures when I visited my dad a few years back but those were taken out in the open. I think sneaking around to take the pictures secretly would be much harder. JMO

406196707.jpg

http://twitpic.com/6pu7dv

In the spirit of all the lyrics on this thread:

I bet there's rich folks eatin',
In a fancy dining car,
They're probably drinkin' coffee,
And smokin' big cigars,
But I know I had it comin',
I know I can't be free,
But those people keep a-movin',
And that's what tortures me.

Johnny Cash
Folsom Prison Blues

Whoa - that picture! The man has aged 15 years in the past 2 days! That look of defiance and anger is something else. Kind of wild-eyed too - is he starting to lose it?

:floorlaugh:

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members