SURPRISE HEARING Friday 18th August

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my post, I meant any lawyer members on WS that can explain the technicalities of a deal like this (if the reports are accurate).

I DO NOT believe they are guilty, but if they are admitting guilt to such a heinous crime and they served less than 20 years on life sentences (or a death sentence, in Damien's case), how would it make sense that they would be released upon admission of guilt? I feel like I've never heard of such a thing...

You can sit next to me on The Confusion Bus Ride.

Maybe they have to admit guilt ( FYI I never for a minute believed that any of the 3 did it) so they can't turn around and sue the state?

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/aug/18/plea-deal-release-west-memphis-three/

Prosecutors and defense attorneys are working out a deal that could result in the release of the West Memphis Three murder defendants as early as Friday, according to legal sources and relatives of victims.

"It's a high probability," said Jackie Byers, 44, wife of John Mark Byers, whose son was one of three 8-year-old boys found nude and hog-tied in 1993 in a watery ditch in West Memphis. "We've been asked not to say anything until after tomorrow."

A source close to the case said the pending deal involves the immediate release of defendants Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin and Jessie Misskelley in return for pleas to lesser charges.
BBM

yeah i guess none of this is confirmed by authorities yet, and the source is the father of one of the victims who is extremely upset by the news, so i suppose much of it could be not exactly correct. im going to stop speculating for the night.

for any legal experts here - is the following possible?

judge decides he is going to reverse the convictions, talks to both parties and they agree to reintroduce the charges at the hearing to which the defendants will all plead no contest to some charges and possibly guilty to others, and the prosecution agrees to accept that and allow sentencing right away?

regarding the idea that echols is one of two being released while a 3rd is going to be left with some amount of time to serve - maybe they were all to be released but one of them has some other incident to serve time for? have there been any problems for misskelley or baldwin while incarcerated?

Rumours are running rampant all over the Internet at the moment, and I would advise people not to take them too seriously. If these three were really going to plead guilty, it would make no sense to let them out.

More likely they've made some kind of deal where they plead no contest and get to go home, while the state of Arkansas gets to save some face.

ITA... looking forward to hearing what happens!

This is a confusing development. Reading different things online. I am waiting for the 6 o'clock news to see if they say anything else. The 5:00 broadcast said that 2 of the 3 would be freed. If this is true, someone has some splainin to do!

None of this makes any sense. "Lesser charges" makes even less sense. How can three children be brutally beaten, cut up, tied-up, and one get his testicles sliced off, and ANY ONE of them get released by them just "admitting it" and the state AGREEING that 18 years is sufficient. I just don't get it.

A new trial -- I get that argument. But this??? I hope tomorrow provides some answers.

if they plead guilty to enable them to get out of jail I will be so angered by them, they have spent years denying there guilt, people have given money to try to get new testing done and a new trial, to suddenly plead guilty in exchange for there freedom would be a kick in the face for all those who have supported them,

and I find it very hard to believe that they would let a man walk off death row and out of prison after he has confessed to the horrific crime of 3 children,

I am hoping the initial media reports are incorrect,

Since everyone closely connected to this case is under a strict gag order, it appears the media is taking info from "sources" that couldn't possibly be in the know. I'm gonna take it for what it's worth - speculation.

MOOOO

Mel

Local news is stating that the 3 have been removed from prison with all of their belongings and have been taken to the Craighead County Jail. Supposedly, they are expecting good news for the 3 tomorrow. Everything at this point is unsubstantiated.

But what about their supporters?

I will never believe their innocence if they plead guilty to get our of jail and always feel they killed those kids!
I do not feel I know enough to form an opinion . I have done alot of reading and have been swayed both ways at different times .
But if they plead guilty then they killed them .

We will have to wait and see for ourselves I guess

If they plead guilty then they ARE GUILTY .
I am upset for their supporters because it doens't make them look good and really is a slap in the face . I would NEVER admit to killing a child if I didn't
they either lied they were innocent or lied when they were guilty and ARE child killers

And here we have a perfect example of a rush to judgement.

Silkprint, you have no idea what is going to happen in Craighead County Court tomorrow, all you know is half formed rumours being spouted over the internet, all based on news reports from journalists so hungry to be the first to get the scoop that they will run with anything.

Crank up you BS detector, please. No court, in Arkansas or anywhere else, is going to free three self confessed child killers. Either rumours of their release are greatly exaggerated, or rumours of their guilty pleas are greatly exaggerated.

And that's why I changed what I wrote before you copied and posted .
None of us will know what will happen before it does tomorrow .

and what I said was - if they please guilty then they are guilty .
Which is what it is

Agreed, we'll just have to be patient and wait and see. The suspense is killing me though.

Someone said this above which I agree with 100% IF they are granted a no contest plea for freedon instead of having a new trial then for sure it is for the state to save face

More likely they've made some kind of deal where they plead no contest and get to go home, while the state of Arkansas gets to save some face.

Someone said this above which I agree with 100% IF they are granted a no contest plea for freedon instead of having a new trial then for sure it is for the state to save face

It was me who said that, and sorry if I snapped at you in the last post I made. I'm not used to this, I was never up on the Casey Anthony case, or any similar case. My nails are being bitten to the quick here right now.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back