Suspect #1: Dellen Millard *Charged* 1st Deg Murder 15 May 2013 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There must have been a way that these 2 suspects hatched their plans. I am sure that they wouldn't use any phones or computers that could be linked back to them. They would not want to be seen together so how did they communicate? Could it have been through the Steam chat or ICQ or what else??

There must have been a way that these 2 suspects hatched their plans. I am sure that they wouldn't use any phones or computers that could be linked back to them. They would not want to be seen together so how did they communicate? Could it have been through the Steam chat or ICQ or what else??

There's always in the flesh. Old fashioned but ...

To find DM's ICQ I went to the main website, clicked people, under search I clicked Canada for country, DM's first name and unclicked "online users." DM's favourite quote is "I can't outrun death forever, But I can make the *advertiser censored* work for it !" Apparently this quote is a bit of a play on words from quote on the 13th epsiode of season 2 of Andromeda. I went to ICQ on a hunch from one of his other profiles at Dark Ocean Studios, now that it has lead to his ICQ I'm wondering if his msn messenger is accurate too. I just can't seem to view messenger profiles anymore...

There's always in the flesh. Old fashioned but ...

I don't think they met in person while hatching these plans. That just doesn't happen very much anymore with young adults. They text back and forth but this would not be very smart as DM would know this way could be traced back. I just keep thinking they kept their plans on the down low and it would be very interesting to find out how they communicated as they would be in constant contact with.... how are we gonna do that, what do we do if.... who do we find..... where do we go..... how do we.....
There is no way they met every time they needed to deal with an issue that could come up. No, they hatched this plan another way. JMO

I don't think they met in person while hatching these plans. That just doesn't happen very much anymore with young adults. They text back and forth but this would not be very smart as DM would know this way could be traced back. I just keep thinking they kept their plans on the down low and it would be very interesting to find out how they communicated as they would be in constant contact with.... how are we gonna do that, what do we do if.... who do we find..... where do we go..... how do we.....
There is no way they met every time they needed to deal with an issue that could come up. No, they hatched this plan another way. JMO

Maybe a mixture of in-flesh meetings and e-communications?

and it would be very interesting to find out how they communicated as they would be in constant contact with.... how are we gonna do that, what do we do if.... who do we find..... where do we go..... how do we.

I doubt this is at all likely, but they could conceivably have used those increasingly endangered commodities, public pay phones, by prearrangement. If they had the numbers written down and had determined times in advance to check in with each other, it would be extremely difficult to track any communications back to them. Best sites to use would be ones with banks of phones where usage is heavy and people come and go -- bus stations, airport, motel lobbies, etc.

I think that probably takes more organizational skills than these people have so far demonstrated, but it *is* possible....

I doubt this is at all likely, but they could conceivably have used those increasingly endangered commodities, public pay phones, by prearrangement. If they had the numbers written down and had determined times in advance to check in with each other, it would be extremely difficult to track any communications back to them. Best sites to use would be ones with banks of phones where usage is heavy and people come and go -- bus stations, airport, motel lobbies, etc.

I think that probably takes more organizational skills than these people have so far demonstrated, but it *is* possible....

I think the fact that he screwed up with the burner phone is relevant.

He tried to cover tracks but was not careful enough.

Probably did the same thing online too.

That Dark Ocean profile has always bothered me. It's recent but has lots of information.

Doesn't look like it was put up by someone trying to cover tracks.

Maybe DM wanted to get into comics, gaming, film industry.

Using pay phones can be traced, many of them are under video surveillance. A hotel or a airport likely will have a camera monitoring activities.

I think the fact that he screwed up with the burner phone is relevant.

He tried to cover tracks but was not careful enough.

Using a burner phone is directly relevant and will be evidence that will be used against him. Especially if DM had a legit phone as well.

Would there be any contravention of Canadian law if he obtained a sim device under false ID?

Using pay phones can be traced, many of them are under video surveillance. A hotel or a airport likely will have a camera monitoring activities.

Yes, but without any indication of what locations to track or monitor, the probability of their communications being identified or traced is quite remote. Police would have to have *some* idea what video surveillance to check -- with tens of thousands of possible phones, it would be an almost impossible task to locate the ones used by the suspects without some other evidence.

It took hundreds of hours of going through video surveillance in the Tori Stafford case to find the needed evidence of McClintock's movements -- imagine trying that without knowing what locales (and times) to focus on.

However, these guys don't present as master criminal minds so far.

Would there be any contravention of Canadian law if he obtained a sim device under false ID?

If you're talking about the "burner" phone, likely no ID would be required. I use a pay-as-you-go phone and it didn't require anything more than walking into a store, paying for it and then activating it by calling a 1-800 number.

I just remembered LE said something about a different name being linked to the phone. In that case, I'm not sure, your question could be valid! It's also possible he registered the phone online and used a made up name there.

Many people do get sim devices without ID, Disposable phones are often random names (aliases) and such. I cannot find a contravention of law....but I expect they will create one out of thin air soon enough JMO

There is also the Magic Jack that can be used for making phone calls from ANY computer... no actual ID required as the device is bought and paid for much like a bag of milk.

So DM and MS would have probably communicated with burner phones. I guess, obviously that is what the police were looking for after they arrested MS. The burner phone. I wonder if they found it?

Yes, but without any indication of what locations to track or monitor, the probability of their communications being identified or traced is quite remote. Police would have to have *some* idea what video surveillance to check -- with tens of thousands of possible phones, it would be an almost impossible task to locate the ones used by the suspects without some other evidence.

It took hundreds of hours of going through video surveillance in the Tori Stafford case to find the needed evidence of McClintock's movements -- imagine trying that without knowing what locales (and times) to focus on.

However, these guys don't present as master criminal minds so far.

I would be interested to know how they located TB's cell phone and if Canada allows LE to use IMSI Catcher, Stingray, Triggerfish or other such.

So DM and MS would have probably communicated with burner phones. I guess, obviously that is what the police were looking for after they arrested MS. The burner phone. I wonder if they found it?

Investigators have now obtained cellphone records for the number they believe the men called Bosma from, a phone registered under “a bogus name.” Kavanagh said the phone has been “turned off” since it was used to call Bosma

http://www.thepost.ca/2013/05/10/missing-hamilton-man-tim-bosnas-cell-phone-found-in-brantford

Seeing DM lived alone.....maybe MS stayed or crashed at his place alot which then they would have communicated in person about all the details. :moo:

I'm dumb.... what exactly is a burner phone?

A cheap "pay as you go" phone that can be purchased without ID. When it's referred to as a burner it usually means it was specifically purchased to use for illicit activities (typically drug deals) and then dumped after a month or two. The idea is to dump it and move on to another one before it gets traced by any monitoring LE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member