Suspect #1: Dellen Millard *Charged* 1st Deg Murder 15 May 2013 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OR some other OC JMO

Yes yes sorry I wasn't trying to leave anything out I was in a hurry to post and run out and I spat out the first things that came to mind. The OC doesn't have to be traditional. But our talk of trusts would be covered in my "crooked but legal" business dealings.

Mod Note: It's becoming tiresome, not to mention ridiculous, to read the same details misrepresented over and over again. If you note a post which does not include links, and you question the veracity of the information -- or know it to be false -- please don't respond. Instead, alert the post so that a mod can remove it.

*Random reminder intended for everyone, and for no one in particular*

FYI all, I moved the posts regarding the publication ban over to General Discussion.

I wonder how DM and MS are doing in their new digs. Maybe if they had spoken up during their LE interviews/interrogations, they could be free birds right now enjoying life. Get use to it boys. This could be your homes for the rest of your lives. I have a weird but good feeling it will be.

Generally speaking: Evil wears many disguises. Money doesn't necessarily buy happiness. And sometimes it promotes greed. Wealth can attract false friendships. Desperate people do desperate things. Drugs and alcohol can ruin lives and destroy families. Law abiding people follow, uphold, respect and cooperate with the law. MOO.

I wonder how DM and MS are doing in their new digs. Maybe if they had spoken up during their LE interviews/interrogations, they could be free birds right now enjoying life. Get use to it boys. This could be your homes for the rest of your lives. I have a weird but good feeling it will be.

Generally speaking: Evil wears many disguises. Money doesn't necessarily buy happiness. And sometimes it promotes greed. Wealth can attract false friendships. Desperate people do desperate things. Drugs and alcohol can ruin lives and destroy families. Law abiding people follow, uphold, respect and cooperate with the law. MOO.
Swedie, guess DM won't have a chance to get too homesick! IMO http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2..._mother_sells_family_home_for_12_million.html

Tim Bosma case: Dellen Millard's mother sells family home for $1.2 million

Six weeks after Dellen Millard, the man charged in the murder of Tim Bosma, transferred three properties to his mother for $1 each, one house has been sold and a condo is up for sale, the Star has learned.
Madeleine Burns, Millard’s mother, sold her son’s childhood home in Etobicoke for $1.2 million on July 4, according to property records. A condominium in the Distillery District that Millard bought for $627,524 on May 7, the day after Bosma went missing, is listed for $719,000.

And this is the home Wayne died in right?

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2..._mother_sells_family_home_for_12_million.html

I guess she doesn't think he's getting out of jail. JMO

Isn't there an investigation into the death of Wayne Millard that would see the home as a potential crime scene?

Isn't there an investigation into the death of Wayne Millard that would see the home as a potential crime scene?

Long ago...Not much left to investigate.

moo

If the home was sold because it carries sad memories of his father's suicide I could see it being the first thing to sell off to pay for his lawyer. And I am positive the police from both Hamilton and Toronto didn't let the house go on the market until they were thoroughly convinced that they were done with it.

If the home was sold because it carries sad memories of his father's suicide I could see it being the first thing to sell off to pay for his lawyer. And I am positive the police from both Hamilton and Toronto didn't let the house go on the market until they were thoroughly convinced that they were done with it.
IMHO, the sale of this property, if in fact done to raise money for legal fee's speaks volumes to DM's current financial state. JMHO, if the home really carried memories of WM that made DM feel uncomfortable, he could have sold it after WM passed away. From LE reports, the house had been renovated :
His Maple Gate home, which police searched after his arrest, was completely customized as a party pad where he and his friends could relax and have fun, featuring a large aquarium stocked with fish and turtles, said Mr. Ménardo.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...was-always-a-little-different-classmate-says/ MOO

IMHO, the sale of this property, if in fact done to raise money for legal fee's speaks volumes to DM's current financial state. JMHO, if the home really carried memories of WM that made DM feel uncomfortable, he could have sold it after WM passed away. From LE reports, the house had been renovated :
His Maple Gate home, which police searched after his arrest, was completely customized as a party pad where he and his friends could relax and have fun, featuring a large aquarium stocked with fish and turtles, said Mr. Ménardo.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...was-always-a-little-different-classmate-says/ MOO

First, I believe it was suggested in the article that DM had been planning on selling it after the death of his father anyway, but as you may not be aware, there is an amount of time after the death of a loved one called probate where the property cannot be sold until this (varying) time period has passed.

And it is a European friend or relation quoted in the article who thinks having an aquarium and a couple of X boxes makes a home a party pad, although the wording here seems to imply this was a recent renovation discovered by the police. I believe this person who was quoted had visited there prior to WM's death, so perhaps it was WM who had the house decked out as a supposed party pad? It is just my opinion, but to me it takes more than that to make someplace a party pad, but things are different in Europe, and sometimes things like having an aquarium and more than one TV can be seen a luxury to a culture that does not live in excess the way we North Americans do. I believe that customized and renovated do not mean the same thing, and doesn't the article just posted about the sale say that the house was strewn with clothes and soup cans? Do you think that is the way the police found it or that is the way that they left it?

Perhaps, like many wealthy people, his money is not sitting liquified and readily accessible in a bank just in case one gets arrested for murder, but is instead tied up in various investments that have high penalties for early withdrawal, or perhaps most of his assets are in a large expensive hanger that he no longer has the ability to make an income off of while sitting in jail. Just a theory of course. I can only imagine the size of the retainer required to defend yourself against a murder charge.

First, I believe it was suggested in the article that DM had been planning on selling it after the death of his father anyway, but as you may not be aware, there is an amount of time after the death of a loved one called probate where the property cannot be sold until this (varying) time period has passed.

I can only imagine the size of the retainer required to defend yourself against a murder charge.
<rsbm>

Typically when one has the death certificate and a copy of the LWT appointing them as executor, they are able to sign on behalf of the estate (as in the Audrey Gleave case where the house was reportedly sold about 2 weeks prior to the Certificate of Apointment of Trustee having been signed by the Registrar).

WRT legal fees/retainer, a quick search brings this up:

http://charleslugosi.com/Fee_Schedule.html

Murder cases, terrorist cases, and other very serious and complex cases will be charged at the rate of $450 an hour.

Retainer

An initial retainer is required at the time of engagement.

A retainer agreement will be signed and it will be decided at that time what arrangements are agreeable for the deposit into the firm's trust account. The retainer amount is calculated at 20 hours of the lawyer's hourly rate for the legal service that is being provided.

For example, for a case charged at the rate of $325 an hour, the initial retainer will be $6,500.

The retainer may be adjusted upwards to make allowances to cover anticipated disbursements, especially travel, and government taxes on legal services, where the case requires travel to the communities surrounding Brantford.

A portion of the initial retainer will be non-refundable: $1950.

Wrt the example of retainer, sillybilly's site makes it sound fairly reasonable. What is not suggested is that the initial 20-hr retainer can be zipped through in less than one working day for an active file with a team involved (this can even be one senior lawyer with one associate, a student and a clerk, or way less than that). So if that's one day's work (and it is, easily), then you need one retainer every day or so!

The solution to not having to make banking arrangements on a daily basis at this point is to get a much higher retainer (at least a few couple hundred thousand for a case like this IMO). And since they are in it "for the long haul" it wouldnt surprise me if it is more, perhaps even kept in another lawyer's trust account (MB's lawyer for example) and ready to be wired over to DP whenever required. So yeah, selling the house and keeping sale proceeds in trust with her lawyer wouldnt sound unreasonable to me If she doesnt want to deal with the bank each day. Also this way maybe DP knows his stmt of acct is being reviewed by other lawyers.

Two comments

Revenue Canada sure won't be complaining with a 1.2 million dollar capital gain attributed to MB. Let's see, 1.2 divided by two equals 600,000 times lets say a 40% tax bracket MOO and you have a $240,000 tax bill.

If I was the buyer of that house, I sure wouldn't want to do any deep excavating or landscaping. Oh, if only ghosts could talk.

Two comments

Revenue Canada sure won't be complaining with a 1.2 million dollar capital gain attributed to MB. Let's see, 1.2 divided by two equals 600,000 times lets say a 40% tax bracket MOO and you have a $240,000 tax bill.

If I was the buyer of that house, I sure wouldn't want to do any deep excavating or landscaping. Oh, if only ghosts could talk.

Are you suggesting that there are more bodies buried there that two different police forces failed to find in weeks of searching?

Didn't that article say DM was thinking of selling it after his dad died there???

At this stage of the game all that a lawyer would need is a retainer...so I hardly think the house would be required to pay anything at this point...if at all.... pure speculation IMO JMO

Two comments

That would probably depend on how the trust is worded !!!! IMO

I guess a lawsuit will be underway then if by some fluke LE overlooked a cemetery at 5 Maple Gate Court.... JMO :twocents:

Two comments

I am not going to claim to understand capitol gains taxes, but it was my understanding that you do not pay capitol gains on the sale of your primary residence. It was stated in many articles that he resided there with his father before his fathers death. After the death it would have become his property, and since that is where he was living before being incarcerated, it is then considered his primary residence, is it not? Capitol gains would instead have to be paid for the condo he bought to flip and the condo he doesn't live in instead.

Two comments

There is a Capital Gains exemption for your principle residence.

Principal residence

If you sell your home for more than what it cost you, you usually do not have to report the sale on your income tax and benefit return or pay tax on any gain as long as:
•your home is your principal residence; and
•you or a member of your family did not designate any other property as a principal residence while you owned your home. For more information, see Principal residence.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4037/t4037-e.html#P298_31900

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members