Suspect - Daniel Heinrich

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
AL has said previously that he has vetted numerous leads. But with the suspect, vehicle, prints found 26 years ago, they're only seeing it now?

Agreed. I just watched the new AL interview and was amazed when he said that until now he had never been asked about DJH. :confused::confused:

Also - it is possible that information from some source led LE to postulate some sort of relationship or acquaintance between DR and DJH, and that they couldn't exclude DR as some sort of accomplice, hence the DR farm search, etc.?

And - I can't remember where I read this, but I thought that DR's strongest visual impression of the passenger in the gold car was that the person was cupping their hands *over the window* as one might while looking for a house number on a dark night, not covering their eyes with their hands so as not to see. Am I nuts? I swear that was what DR said.

Agreed. I just watched the new AL interview and was amazed when he said that until now he had never been asked about DJH. :confused::confused:

Also - it is possible that information from some source led LE to postulate some sort of relationship or acquaintance between DR and DJH, and that they couldn't exclude DR as some sort of accomplice, hence the DR farm search, etc.?

And - I can't remember where I read this, but I thought that DR's strongest visual impression of the passenger in the gold car was that the person was cupping their hands *over the window* as one might while looking for a house number on a dark night, not covering their eyes with their hands so as not to see. Am I nuts? I swear that was what DR said.

Alot of things match up with DH but the only explanation for this is he didn't do it. And he hasn't confessed.

This is going to be a dumb question, but before DNA tests came into being, what would constitute evidence sufficient enough that it would be worth it to charge someone?

We know that DJH was arrested on February 9, 1990 for the kidnapping and assault of JS, but ultimately never charged. On that same day, the FBI indicated that a synthetic fiber found on JS's snowsuit had "microscopic characteristics and optical properties" that matched seat fibers taken from the Mercury Topaz that DJH drove at the time JS was taken - they said the two fibers were "consistent with having originated from the same source".

So it's likely that getting confirmation about the fibers led to the arrest that same day, I would think? And JS had been taken to see the Topaz and said it was an 8 or 9 (on a scale of 10) in similarity to the car that he had been assaulted in. And even though he rated another man higher in one lineup, he did identify DJH in two lineups (the first was a photo lineup right after the abduction) as a possible suspect. And the thing that really got me in the search warrant (or maybe it was the criminal complaint) - JS was overall pretty right on with the physical description - and he said that his assaulter had "cheese teeth". The official description of DJH's teeth indicated that they had black spots due to tobacco use - so they probably looked liked swiss cheese to a young kid.

I have absolutely no background in any of this, so if anyone does, I would love to know what it would have taken to press on with a case against DJH at that time. Obviously they thought all this wasn't enough. Or did they think that if they charged and convicted DJH in JS's case, maybe they would never have a chance to find out more about JW?
First of all, it's not a dumb question. Secondly, we have limited information on which to speculate, so I don't know that any of us can be certain of the answers.

The state gets only one shot at prosecuting an offense, so the standard for evidence has to be held high. In this case, the circumstantial evidence was weak. A matching fiber from a car seat alone was insufficient, as the fiber would match other cars. (For that matter, DJH could have made the claim that he loaned his car to someone that night.) JNS made a mistake in his description of the car when he said it had a luggage rack on the trunk. And he was wrong on the color of the interior. He described "cheese teeth", but was unable to nail DJH in the line-ups.

Unfortunately, LE often ends up in the position of being forced to hold back and wait for other evidence to come to light. That doesn't mean that they stop seeking evidence, though from the outside it might appear that way. IMHO, had the body of evidence included biological evidence which could have been linked more directly to DJH, e.g., a strand of hair, semen, a drop of blood; or even a unique fiber which matched a piece of clothing in DJH's possession; and had JNS been able to positively ID DJH as the perpetrator, the outcome would have been different.

JMO

what wigs?

My interent is very limited so I was able to download the search warrant to an offline source and was able to read it in full. I believe it said hair pieces when I read it . I thought it meant wigs until I was able to read the whole thing and see that he cut off pieces of hair.

I've been swamped at work lately, and haven't had much time to absorb the news over the last week, but I noticed some were speculating about other cars Heinrich had. Here's a list I put together recently, of all the cars that were reported on or in someway discussed during the investigation.

It befuddles me now more than ever, why LE did not seek help in finding the cars DR saw that day and night.

I see you have a date of 10/24 re the small car DR saw. Where did that info come from? I do not recall at the time anything about a blue car. Was it publicized?

Good morning to all you kind hearted people out there in this forum. I have been reading the case files and various posts and really think they have the man responsible for JEW's abduction. I was formerly USAF Security Police years ago and I couldn't help but think there may be some leads with DH's National Guard service. Did he divulge any information to his comrades, anything that may help this case at all? I hope they are looking at this angle.

I remember reading that they verified that he was a member of the national guard when they looked at him for the Jared abduction. It didn't say much beyond that they found out he didn't have a guard meeting that weekend. The first time I read about the JW abduction I remember the one thing that stuck in my mind when I asked myself who could have done this was the fact that whoever did it was out in that area trolling around...almost like a sick game...or a drill. Plus what he said to them and making them lay down had a kind of military efficiency. Of course back then no one knew about DH, but now that we do...the fact that he was in the guard and had training etc seems to make sense. I agree with you. His membership in the guard could help figure out how he would have reacted that night if he had his scanner and heard the police had been called. I don't know what the guard training involves, but I would imagine evasion tactics would be a part of it? Talking to some of his fellow guard members might give some clues as far as what they think someone in that situation who had had training would do...where they would go etc.

I see you have a date of 10/24 re the small car DR saw. Where did that info come from? I do not recall at the time anything about a blue car. Was it publicized?

That was the date of publication in the St Cloud Times.

I've been keeping up here & going back and forth on Joy's blog now that she put her posts back up. Seeing a post on her blog about "Jennifer from Tom Thumb" her story and how she helped come up with one of the original suspect drawings. This looks an awful lot like the POI of course, but also his older brother that has been in the news the last couple days!

She tells the story of a 60'ish man coming in 2 weeks to the Sunday AFTER the kidnapping. He was looking to by 6 cans of soups & saltines. But the weird part was that he commented on the Photo & Donation Jar for Jacob. He asked her and another customer, "So, do you think they'll ever find that boy?" and she responded "Yes, I hope so" and he kind of laughed and said "They'll never find him." My gut reaction when I read this post was, is this the brother coming in to get food because the POI was holding Jacob somewhere?

I hope LE talks to Jennifer from Tom Thumb again & gets her recollections & her reaction to the POI and brother photos. Link to Joys blog post from Jennifer: http://www.joybaker.com/2014/09/14/jennifers-story/

I've been keeping up here & going back and forth on Joy's blog now that she put her posts back up. Seeing a post on her blog about "Jennifer from Tom Thumb" her story and how she helped come up with one of the original suspect drawings. This looks an awful lot like the POI of course, but also his older brother that has been in the news the last couple days!

She tells the story of a 60'ish man coming in 2 weeks to the Sunday AFTER the kidnapping. He was looking to by 6 cans of soups & saltines. But the weird part was that he commented on the Photo & Donation Jar for Jacob. He asked her and another customer, "So, do you think they'll ever find that boy?" and she responded "Yes, I hope so" and he kind of laughed and said "They'll never find him." My gut reaction when I read this post was, is this the brother coming in to get food because the POI was holding Jacob somewhere?

I hope LE talks to Jennifer from Tom Thumb again & gets her recollections & her reaction to the POI and brother photos. Link to Joys blog post from Jennifer: http://www.joybaker.com/2014/09/14/jennifers-story/

In the drawing that Jennifer helped with, the suspect has that same downturned mouth as the POI.

That was the date of publication in the St Cloud Times.

This is astounding. DR reported this car and then what? Everyone was looking for white cars, tan vans, red cars!

Why not this car? It defies belief

People keep referencing DH's older brother being in the news. Can someone provide a link to that?

Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed, but what if Jacob DID jump out of the car? Seeing as the other attacks seemed to end with released victims, maybe Jacob jumped from the car and was injured in some way. Would DH simply drive on, leaving him injured, or would he get him back in the car to take him to the initial destination? Would injuries to Jacob change DH's plan of attack? Would he "experiment" more if Jacob was unconscious? Did this lead to a different outcome than the other attacks?

I use the word "experiment" because it is my assumption that DH had limited physical sexual activity outside his own violent molestation (as a 12 year old 7th grader, hence his obsession with this same age category.) The rest of his activity came from *advertiser censored* and his own voyeurism of local children. Some pedophiles are smooth talkers. They are nice and develop a friendship with their victims, tricking them into trustful relationships. DH either was socially inept at this technique, or the fear in the child of being stalked, captured, and forced upon was the goal. If Jacob lost consciousness, would DH then be in a situation he'd never experienced, causing a different outcome than the other attacks?

Just hypothesizing. I'd love to know where DH was in middle school. Did he play sports? Did he fit in at school? Did he do well in his studies, or was he in remedial classes? Did he have a coach, teacher, neighbor, or friend that sparked this deviant behavior?

(For some reason, when I look at the sketches and his mug shot, I get a "Sling Blade" type feel for his personality and mental status. Certainly not incompetent, but pretty much the dullest tool in the shed.)

I think there is a good chance he did jump out of the car, but only after it stopped.

Someone referenced that DH was molested at the age of 12...any source?

That tells us a lot.

I think you mean the blue car?

Because at the time of the crime, there WAS a SOL in place. Unfortunately, when they made the new law that abolished the SOL, the old crimes weren't grandfathered in, and SOL has to therefore be applied.
Not a lawyer myself, but that is my understanding of why not from various media reports.

I have tried to listen to the True Crime radio show, but all I get is a man raving about politics. Ugh!

I wonder if he will ever get to hear JH's voice and if he or TW could verify the perp based on his voice? Interesting to consider.

In a post in either this thread or one of the others in this subforum, I believe ELOC explained that the old man was identified as a local man with a history of psychological issues and once he was identified, the sketch was no longer distributed. Perhaps someone remembers this and knows where to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lily89