Suspect - Daniel Heinrich

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow... "In 1990, Daniel Heinrich gave federal investigators samples of his body hair. The hairs were placed under glass slides, labeled and delivered to a lab where they sat for 26 years.
In May, an investigator with the Wright County Sheriff’s Office turned the slides into the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension for testing. The final report concluded the body hairs submitted by Heinrich matched hair samples found on a 12-year old boy who was assaulted in Cold Spring in 1989."

http://kstp.com/article/stories/s3951355.shtml
That's not quite accurate. Hair samples weren't matched. Nuclear DNA analysis was performed on hair samples from DJH. That DNA was a match to DNA from the right wrist of JNS's sweatshirt, not hair samples. The DNA on the sweatshirt was a mixture of DNA from at least two individuals, and probably was deposited on the sleeve through saliva. Remember JNS said he wiped his mouth on his sleeve several times during the attack.

second line from the bottom on p.49 of the pdf

Danny has 2 living brothers, 1 older and 1 younger (he also had another younger brother that died at 2 days of age). Yes, his youngest brother was 17 and living with his father in 1989. The older brother is the one that was interviewed and didn't think Danny could have abducted Jacob; he is currently living where the mother lived in 1989.
I wonder if that location where his mom lived in 1989 was ever searched?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

-------------------------
Why did the samples languish for so long. Surely there is a reason.

Thought it was because the technology to do whatever testing they did recently was not previously available?

I guess DNA testing is complex and has evolved over time. I *thought* it was used in the 90's but maybe it was more rudimentary testing.

What do you guys make of page 53 (interview took place 2/5/90) of the indictment where the FBI talks to the father of those boys whose photos were found in the search of the home of DH's father on ( search was on1/24/90). He says two of his sons used to stay with their aunt who lived in Paynesville. He recalls DH's younger brother playing football with them (at the aunts house) and DH coming over, but not playing football. The aunts house was burglarized twice. The last time it was also set on fire. The date for the last one was approximately 11/89. The first was 5 or 6 years before. Last break-in and fire right after JW was abducted (10/22/89). If DH did the break-in why set the fire? Some sort of warning maybe? I hope some of those people talk to the police again...if they already haven't.

Link to indictment is below.

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/wjon.com/files/2015/10/DanielHeinrichIndictment-Optimized.pdf

thanks for the link to the indictment! I'm reading it now. Interesting to note that on page 51, DH advised LE that he couldn't recall where he had been on 1/13/1989, nor could he recall where he was the night JW was abducted. He did state he could have been washing clothes, or visiting a friend.

This makes me wonder why he offered these up? There is something to this if you ask me. Those are random possibilities. What made him think he might have been washing clothes or visiting a friend? That leads to more questions for me. Why might he think he may have been washing clothes or visiting someone? Who did he think he might have been visiting? Why might they have been visiting? What was his normal routine for clothes laundering?

That is really really interesting to me that he offered up those two points. Why is he offering anything at all vs. simply stating he cannot recall? I bet if I noticed this, so did authorities.

I guess DNA testing is complex and has evolved over time. I *thought* it was used in the 90's but maybe it was more rudimentary testing.
Yes, it was around in the 1990's, but the size of a required sample was relatively large, like something the size of a quarter, and the quality had to be high. Now only a very small sample is required thanks to new techniques like PCR and molecular cloning. Here's one of my favorite stories about touch DNA taken from a rock with a special "vacuum cleaner".

Without the efforts of Wasatch County Sheriff Todd Bonner, the case would have been forgotten long ago. For Bonner, however, it was personal. As the original investigator in the bludgeoning death of the teenage prostitute in 1995, he couldn't let it go.

[...]

Salt Lake City-based Sorenson Forensics found Simpson's full DNA on a spot where he had touched one of the granite rocks. The process of collecting it, using a vacuum-assisted instrument, took a full day.

"In forensics, that's fairly new technology," said Cami Green, once a DNA analyst and now a sales manager for Sorenson Forensics. "It is the most sensitive collection method we have at our disposal."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/21/dna-from-rock-cigarette-helps-solve-15-murder/

Paynesville crime stats report 3 rapes in 2002. For a population of 2K that seems like another anomaly...another "cluster". Is it possible DJH rotated his attack locations? Can't tell from this link if the victims were boys or women.

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Paynesville-Minnesota.html

Cold Spring: 1 rape in 2004 and then a spike of 4 in 2005

http://www.city-data.com/city/Cold-Spring-Minnesota.html

Edit to add: The Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) reports that the majority of rapes and sexual assaults perpetrated against women and girls in the United States between 1992 and 2000 were not reported to the police. Only 36 percent of rapes, 34 percent of attempted rapes, and 26 percent of sexual assaults were reported

Paynesville 2012: 7 sexual assaults, 2014 8 sexual assaults. Are these numbers high to anyone else for such a small town?? Especially considering this particular crime is so underreported.

thanks for the link to the indictment! I'm reading it now. Interesting to note that on page 51, DH advised LE that he couldn't recall where he had been on 1/13/1989, nor could he recall where he was the night JW was abducted. He did state he could have been washing clothes, or visiting a friend.

This makes me wonder why he offered these up? There is something to this if you ask me. Those are random possibilities. What made him think he might have been washing clothes or visiting a friend? That leads to more questions for me. Why might he think he may have been washing clothes or visiting someone? Who did he think he might have been visiting? Why might they have been visiting? What was his normal routine for clothes laundering?

That is really really interesting to me that he offered up those two points. Why is he offering anything at all vs. simply stating he cannot recall? I bet if I noticed this, so did authorities.
He also said he sometimes spent time driving around town on Sundays, which is very interesting, especially since Jacob was abducted on a Sunday night. He lived in Paynesville at the time, but recently had worked for Fingerhut near St. Joe.

[Yes, I always wondered how they labeled JEW's abductor as a pedophile when all along they just said he was kidnapped.
I just read the entire criminal complaint, mostly with my mouth hanging wide open! We've been asking/begging forever for any new information....well I think we got what we asked for. Wow!

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/wjon.com/files/2015/10/DanielHeinrichIndictment-Optimized.pdf

One thing that jumped out at me was that Aaron was actually groped, just like it had been rumored....and like all those other boys in Paynesville. It's clear now that this was sexually motivated and not just a prank gone wrong.

The boy who was almost abducted drew this.
* note after additional research it has been discussed that a total of 3 similar attempts (including this occurrence) have happened lately in short amount of time* all in the surrounding area.

* note after additional research it has been discussed that a total of 3 similar attempts (including this occurrence) have happened lately in short amount of time* all in the surrounding area.
Did you find any MSM news links reporting the attempted assaults?

Did you find any MSM news links reporting the attempted assaults?
I'm trying to find some. You would think there would be information out there.. This is peculiar is it not? One parent makes reference to sharing on Madison parent social media. A similar incident happened there. Also police sent extra patrol cars to All Saints Academy during drop off and pickup times a parent stated.

If they saved the clothing/underwear of AW (one of the boys who was with Jacob on the night of his abduction and who was assaulted), then I have renewed hope they could nail Heinrich for JW's abduction as well. (This coming from the link Nmogren provided earlier about advances in DNA technology to include 'touch DNA'...where they could possibly get a sample from someone just touching an article of clothing. Also, how they can get DNA from clothing, etc. that isn't visible to the naked eye.)

I pray they saved it. But again... reports are saying they have nothing to connect Heinrich to Jacob particularly so maybe not or they couldn't find anything.

I am thinking people might be 'coming out of the wood works' because they might have been scared to previously share info they know...until they knew he was in jail. I believe the police definitely wanted the public to know that- so possible other victims, witnesses, etc to feel finally safe and share what they know. Please people...step forward...

I just watched Patty's statement. She just breaks my heart...both parents do, but especially her. I have a son and a daughter. I just can't and don't want to imagine their pain. Praying for answers for them.

If they saved the clothing/underwear of AW (one of the boys who was with Jacob on the night of his abduction and who was assaulted), then I have renewed hope they could nail Heinrich for JW's abduction as well. (This coming from the link Nmogren provided earlier about advances in DNA technology to include 'touch DNA'...where they could possibly get a sample from someone just touching an article of clothing. Also, how they can get DNA from clothing, etc. that isn't visible to the naked eye.)

I pray they saved it. But again... reports are saying they have nothing to connect Heinrich to Jacob particularly so maybe not or they couldn't find anything.

I am thinking people might be 'coming out of the wood works' because they might have been scared to previously share info they know...until they knew he was in jail. I believe the police definitely wanted the public to know that- so possible other victims, witnesses, etc to feel finally safe and share what they know. Please people...step forward...

I just watched Patty's statement. She just breaks my heart...both parents do, but especially her. I have a son and a daughter. I just can't and don't want to imagine their pain. Praying for answers for them.

Omg yes this. There could possibly be DNA recovered from Aaron and Trevors clothing yet, Wow.

New questions I have tonight...

When was the sketch of DJH released to the public? Was it before or after DJH was first questioned in 1989, or after he was arrested in 1990? I'm asking because the sketch is SO accurate, I'm wondering if the police artist didn't sketch it directly based on seeing DJH in person, rather than Jared's recollection? Didn't they release another sketch at first, and then retract it? This is 100% speculation, but I'm wondering if LE was trying to point the public to him as a possible suspect without actually saying so?

Has anyone discovered the mug shots from DJH's first 3 arrests in the early 1980s? I'm hoping that if people saw more photos of what he looked like back then, it would help jog their memories. I wish LE would release more photos & details about him for that purpose.

Does anyone know if Jared *indeed* knew DJH at the time? Re-reading this quote -- "While driving back to town, the man kept questioning Jared about whether or not the boy could identify him." -- made me wonder... Was DJH prominent in Paynesville in the '80s? Did most locals or kids know who he was? The article quote was taken from:https://saintautumn.wordpress.com/2012/07/01/the-jacob-wetterling-abduction/

I know NOTHING about cars, but is there anyway a '70s tan Monte Carlo could be confused for a 1975 gray Ford Granada? Or did most cars of that era look like that?

~~My heart hurts so much for the Wetterlings, Jared, and other victims tonight. I don't think I've cried this much since it first happened.~~

Could be that whatever happened with JEW scared him into not continuing the attacks, especially with the police on his tail.

He could of found another outlet by watching the child *advertiser censored*/videoing young boys. That could have satisfied his urges.

Maybe he even went somewhere else not so close to where he lived and committed crimes similar to his initial attacks.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Maybe, this has already been mentioned, but he was videotaping and photographing young girls and viewing child *advertiser censored* of young girls as well. I wonder why he only assaulted young boys though? I mean as far as we know anyway.

I have been following this case for a very long time. Jacob is only a couple of years older than me and his disappearance has haunted me since my childhood. I believe 100% this man kidnapped, assaulted and killed Jacob. I hope it can be proven!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
appt