Teen sues parents after being ‘kicked out,’ wants money

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well, well, well it looks like Ms. Precious Snowflake ain't so precious...

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/03/04/nj-students-lawsuit-against-parents-headed-to-court/

Judge Peter Bogaard noted that Rachel Canning’s behavior over the past year was a concern — one or two school suspensions, drinking, losing her captaincy on the cheerleading squad and being kicked out of the campus ministry.

And she showed up to court wearing her Morris Catholic High School uniform.

Would be nice to know grounds for suspension were.

I want to know why Judge didn't suggest she sign up for the Affordable Care Act ((her premiums would be zero based on her zero income)) why penalize the parents.

I can attest to the hurt, they can and will cause.

Our daughter, has caused so much pain and chaos over the last 15 years.

While we started losing everything...She went into super ***** mode.

She was raised in very nice houses, with cruises, limos, and maids.

We enrolled her in sailing lessons, we had a little sailboat then, we enrolled her in tennis lessons.

Anyway, all those ships have sailed. Hubby and I are seriously worried about being homeless, and jobless at any minute.

After years, of talking with my daughter 4 to 5 nights a week, on good terms. She decided to slam me a good one on my 60th birthday.

We haven't spoken since then.

I am out of words.

Back to this lawsuit.

This is a no win situation.

Do I consider this girl, a selfish, immature brat? Yes.

The attorney who is financing her lawsuit is beyond scary.

In my opinion, as his client is living under his roof and he's financially supporting her- he should distance himself from this case.

So Sad. spoiled brat sues parents with help from enabbeling loser attorney.

For me.

It would be a long damn time before I spoke to my Child who made me an enemy, when the issue is about money.

Furthermore. This woman is no longer a child. She is an adult who's making terrible life changing decisions with the help of an attorney.

I am disgusted beyond words.

Attorney plus spoiled brat =huge problems for parents trying to educate child.

Very sad.

This stupid girl has created a rift, that may never be broken..

((((((Hugs)))))) I'm so sorry your daughter is so unappreciative.

My own son (16) has gotten rather mouthy ( unappreciative and inconsiderate & a tad entitled) two weeks or so ago.
He's feeling the squeeze now as he lost internet as well as his cell phone. His attitude has improved 100% but he's going to have to do a little more than say sorry.
He must find a job to pay for a new cell phone. I refuse to. ( he took it out of the otter box, after I told him not to, it broke and he sincerely expected me to drop everything, run out, and purchase him a new one! Gave me a huge attitude and lots of lip when I said no!!!!
I am so hoping this mindset doesn't last... I don't look good in prison orange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would be nice to know grounds for suspension were.

I want to know why Judge didn't suggest she sign up for the Affordable Care Act ((her premiums would be zero based on her zero income)) why penalize the parents.

Cutting school

Drinking EverClear grain alcohol at homecoming dance

If you read the pdf court docs linked above, she also insinuates that her father had a borderline incestuous/ inappropriate relationship with her-- getting her drunk with peach martinis, leaving her to babysit her sibs while mom and dad went to Vegas, he "thought of her as more than a daughter". IMO, she is carefully laying the foundation for more legal complaints.

She also says she currently hostesses at TGI Fridays, and also had jobs at Aerie and another clothing store. She IS able to obtain employment. She has about 10-12 weeks till graduation, and the private school has signaled they won't kick her out.

She can easily WORK for a year (or more!), learn to support herself, and figure out how to pay for her own university degree, like thousands of other young adults. There is no "entitlement" to go to a university based on acceptance letters. She could EVEN join the military to get the GI bill!! Imagine that! The court docs also point out that with her history of needing mental health treatment and medication, she may not be a good candidate to go to a far away school and live in a dorm this fall. No tragedy. Plenty of people do not go directly to university from HS graduation. That's not a crisis.

The Cannings also have a 10 and 12 year old at home. They can roll over the college fund for those girls. I suspect they will be less rebellious than RC, having seen what has happened.

RC is a spoiled, "I am entitled to whatever I want" brat, IMO. IMO, she probably has a couple Axis II disorders, like a borderline personality disorder, too.

RC- you moved out, and you are 18-- now you have the privileges and consequences. Go forth and make your own way in the world. Or, mend fences.

If you read the pdf court docs linked above, she also insinuates that her father had a borderline incestuous/ inappropriate relationship with her-- getting her drunk with peach martinis, leaving her to babysit her sibs while mom and dad went to Vegas, he "thought of her as more than a daughter". IMO, she is carefully laying the foundation for more legal complaints.

She also says she currently hostesses at TGI Fridays, and also had jobs at Aerie and another clothing store. She IS able to obtain employment. She has about 10-12 weeks till graduation, and the private school has signaled they won't kick her out.

She can easily WORK for a year (or more!), learn to support herself, and figure out how to pay for her own university degree, like thousands of other young adults. There is no "entitlement" to go to a university based on acceptance letters. She could EVEN join the military to get the GI bill!! Imagine that! The court docs also point out that with her history of needing mental health treatment and medication, she may not be a good candidate to go to a far away school and live in a dorm this fall. No tragedy. Plenty of people do not go directly to university from HS graduation. That's not a crisis.

The Cannings also have a 10 and 12 year old at home. They can roll over the college fund for those girls. I suspect they will be less rebellious than RC, having seen what has happened.

RC is a spoiled, "I am entitled to whatever I want" brat, IMO. IMO, she probably has a couple Axis II disorders, like a borderline personality disorder, too.

RC- you moved out, and you are 18-- now you have the privileges and consequences. Go forth and make your own way in the world. Or, mend fences.

Said her dad inappropriately kissed her on the cheek and put his arm around her in public....eyeroll...

What she's hinting at is despicable!!!!

Agree. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Motion to Dismiss soon. I don't think there is anywhere for this suit to go. She is claiming she is dependant upon her parents, but doesnt want anything to do wtih them and is already 18. She has inadvertanly emancipated herself and I think that legally would bar her from any further "support" passed that next hearing date. Her attorney fees will far exceed that "support." I know the other dad is paying those fees allegedly, for now, but I don't expect that to go on much longer. The other possibillity is that since he is a lawyer himself, he got this other firm to handle it as a favor. They may have been "billing" the time, but don't really expect it to be paid unless they could get her father to pay. Now that fees can't be recovered, and the publicity is bad, I would expect the girl's law firm to find the quickest way out of this mess that they can.

I'm snickering. The lawyer that's housing her .... I predict is going to see a whole other side of this 18 year old if he says he doesn't want to continue to foot her legal bills.

Saying "no" is the worst thing to ever say to a narcissist. She is not done. She's madder at her parents now than she was before. Narcissistic rage is some scary scary stuff!!!! She's fuming about now and plotting revenge.

All IMO!

I wish the Judge would have ordered her to return her sisters stuff :(

Sent from my Galaxy s3 using Tapatalk

I saw the lawyer/helper parents picture on the news and got a funny feeling...enough to come here and see if this had been noticed by anyone else :moo:

I just remembered.... didn't Sandusky's lawyer have a similar issue in his past? He helped an underage intern in his office emancipate herself from her parents? Did he marry her? I can't remember....

I got the same feeling. He could be getting "something" in return. Ick!

Sounds like she should be under a court order to have more mental health care, too. She has more than a one or two time "problem" with alcohol abuse, and is underage. The judge would do her a favor to recommend at least an evaluation for inpatient substance abuse treatment. The parents would probably be glad to foot the bill for that, and might even make it a term of compliance for coming home, and having access to college money they saved.

With all the talk of alcohol fueled parties, and being dropped off at 3:30 a.m., I can't believe that went on so long without mandated treatment. Particularly when she was still 17.

IMO, these parents were too lenient with her for a long time.

Stealing, driving without a license, planning a booze bash, coming home drunk at 3:30am...

Omg the transcribed voice mail left for her mother....wow! I'd say she certainly emancipated herself in the message!
She wants to shiiit in her mothers face????

IMO that's the kind of entitled narcissistic rage of a Jodi Arias personality type...

I was thinking the same re: JA:twocents::twocents:

Sounds like she should be under a court order to have more mental health care, too. She has more than a one or two time "problem" with alcohol abuse, and is underage. The judge would do her a favor to recommend at least an evaluation for inpatient substance abuse treatment. The parents would probably be glad to foot the bill for that, and might even make it a term of compliance for coming home, and having access to college money they saved.

With all the talk of alcohol fueled parties, and being dropped off at 3:30 a.m., I can't believe that went on so long without mandated treatment. Particularly when she was still 17.

IMO, these parents were too lenient with her for a long time.

I agree that they were probably too lenient. Unfortunately, this ends up being the end result of permissive parenting.

http://cbsnewyork.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/rachel-canning.pdf (pdf doc link) This is a very long document and I have only been through almost half, but what a wealth of info in there.

Apparently the family did at least seek therapy for their daughter's eating disorder (anorexia/bulimia). So far I have not read whether that also covered the family issues, though I would think it did as supposedly RC developed her eating disorder due to mother's "porky, fat" comments.

From the pdf doc, page 33, first paragraph that continued from previous page:
"She does not comply with their requests that she remain in therapy and on medications for her eating disorders"

Haven't read the legal documents yet, just saw this on t.v., then came here. Did read the dailymail article.

My first question is why did this "friends of the family" family begin the legal pursuit? Do they want payment for taking her in? If so, too bad, you decided to take in an 18 year old that left home. You took on that obligation yourselves.

Why didn't they try to get the girl to go back home? To understand that rules must be lived by when you live with anyone else, if it is your parents, your parent's friends, a room mate, a boyfriend, anyone. There are rules and you must follow them unless you choose to live alone, on your own, no one else funding it. Heck, even a sugar daddy has rules attached to money given.

Her own family was trying to get her help and she had to agree to therapy, she is 18 afterall. She rebelled, and found a bad boyfriend she could break the rules with. Might I ask who saves vomit? That is rather odd behavior.

I understand the girl thought she could leave home and live life her way. Got it. But that means getting a job, getting a place to live. Did she expect to move in with the boyfriend and that fell through? How did she expect to pay bills? (Obviously she didn't, she expects her parents to pay them for her.)

Not fully understanding the other family's role here, as it seems all way off target in helping the girl, more about getting her out of their home and getting paid for the time she spent there when they volunteered it.

As far paying college tuition, that is not a given from any parent. Not even possible for most. She has plenty of options, but seems to me, the cash is the only thing wanted, a free ride. The free ride comes with rules. She has shown she cannot follow rules. Let her do it on her own for at least a year, see how she follows the rules of society and supporting herself before going any further is what I would say.

Just not sure what is going on here. Find it grossly manipulative of the girl and the other family. I do hope the Judge decides she made this choice, she can live with it. In my family home, we were told from childhood we had to be out of the house and taking care of ourselves at age 18, there was no money for college, it just wasn't there. I think she has been very fortunate, and should now learn just how fortunate she is. The other family could have helped in pointing that out to her, not enabling her tantrum and manipulation.

The contractual agreement was between the school and her parents. They paid the first semester in full and had given the school notice they were not longer paying...they abided by the contract and are not in breech.

Omg! Did you read the way that girl spoke to her mother? The things she lied and accused them of? All of her own behavior she convieniantly omitted....wow what a spoiled brat!

Can you refer me to the source which states that the parents abided by the terms of the contract? Is it buried in the court documents?

Haven't read the legal documents yet, just saw this on t.v., then came here. Did read the dailymail article.

My first question is why did this "friends of the family" family begin the legal pursuit? Do they want payment for taking her in? If so, too bad, you decided to take in an 18 year old that left home. You took on that obligation yourselves.

Why didn't they try to get the girl to go back home? To understand that rules must be lived by when you live with anyone else, if it is your parents, your parent's friends, a room mate, a boyfriend, anyone. There are rules and you must follow them unless you choose to live alone, on your own, no one else funding it. Heck, even a sugar daddy has rules attached to money given.

Her own family was trying to get her help and she had to agree to therapy, she is 18 afterall. She rebelled, and found a bad boyfriend she could break the rules with. Might I ask who saves vomit? That is rather odd behavior.

I understand the girl thought she could leave home and live life her way. Got it. But that means getting a job, getting a place to live. Did she expect to move in with the boyfriend and that fell through? How did she expect to pay bills? (Obviously she didn't, she expects her parents to pay them for her.)

Not fully understanding the other family's role here, as it seems all way off target in helping the girl, more about getting her out of their home and getting paid for the time she spent there when they volunteered it.

As far paying college tuition, that is not a given from any parent. Not even possible for most. She has plenty of options, but seems to me, the cash is the only thing wanted, a free ride. The free ride comes with rules. She has shown she cannot follow rules. Let her do it on her own for at least a year, see how she follows the rules of society and supporting herself before going any further is what I would say.

Just not sure what is going on here. Find it grossly manipulative of the girl and the other family. I do hope the Judge decides she made this choice, she can live with it. In my family home, we were told from childhood we had to be out of the house and taking care of ourselves at age 18, there was no money for college, it just wasn't there. I think she has been very fortunate, and should now learn just how fortunate she is. The other family could have helped in pointing that out to her, not enabling her tantrum and manipulation.

I'm with you. This other family is enabling her. There was a part about a Christmas Eve breakfast that both families attended and the attorney dad pretty much told Mr. Canning to expect something legal in regard to money owed them for keeping her.
I think she expected to stay with the boyfriend, until the school called her and told she couldn't live there, that is when she moved in with the lawyer family.

This friend's dad should have sent her packing, imo, a long time ago. Too bad for her so many people have let her rule the roost for so long. It is doubly hard to wise up when you get your way for 18 years.

I made a few notes from the pdf doc linked above. Somewhere in the parent statements it discusses how the school contract was paid and then how they legally stopped paying. I will try to find it to post in a minute.

From PDF docs:
Rachel canning

my summaries from pdf docs:

page 41: parents refused to host alcohol parties in their home(#19). From mother's statements:
#7 The morning of the day RC left home the family was at a disciplinary hearing at the school (truancy) and was suspended. As punishment, she went to work with father, was assigned to do an inventory of equipment. I stead, her "also suspended" boyfriend picked her up, and she stayed at his home over the weekend.

page 52: RC asked if she could come home, one condition was counseling.

page 61: phone message to Mom re bathroom incident

page 65: messages between RC and dad

page 67: from father's documentation. It seems a duplicate of mother's statements, though I did not compare side-side. There are at least minor changes to reflect the "writer", whether mom or dad.

page 82: #67-69 tell a out a breakfast meeting between Inglesino and Canning. Mr I advised Mr C he would need a lawyer. At one point Mr I said "he (I) could better afford a lawsuit than the C's

page 87: message from RC to parents, "sort of apology"
page 92: more messages between RC and dad (repeats of above)

Can you refer me to the source which states that the parents abided by the terms of the contract? Is it buried in the court documents?

Yes, it also may be reported in one of the previously linked MSN articles.

It is on pdf page 28, the second paragraph. Sorry, i can't copy it on my iPad. Basically, it says it requires only the semester being attended to be paid; can voluntarily withdraw. During the first semester, tuition was paid in full and the school was given notice they would not be paying for the following semester.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
relaxininaz
Back