Tempo Restaurant: What Happened There?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Let's *play pretend* for all the people that want to suppose Hannah had consensual sex with LJ and then later magically disappeared, through no fault of his own.

What kind of man has sex with a *student* almost *half his age* and doesn't even make sure that afterwards she gets home safely?

Pullleeeze.

Not the kind of man that I would want in my life, but that's not to say those guys don't exist, they absolutely do. And we can't play pretend that Hannah had consensual sex with JM because we know she was intoxicated and one cannot consent when impaired.

But we can speculate as to why, based on eye-witness accounts that when her and JM came into contact they seemed familiar with each other. There are SEVERAL reasons that this could be the case. One of which is that JM was acting so inappropriately towards other's and their personal space boundaries that when he approached Hannah it seemed to others that he must have already known her. Another SPECULATION is that they had some sort of prior contact that made this behavior understandable.

I think brainstorming and thinking outside the box can be very productive when there is only so much evidence given to the public.

Not the kind of man that I would want in my life, but that's not to say those guys don't exist, they absolutely do. And we can't play pretend that Hannah had consensual sex with JM because we know she was intoxicated and one cannot consent when impaired.

But we can speculate as to why, based on eye-witness accounts that when her and JM came into contact they seemed familiar with each other. There are SEVERAL reasons that this could be the case. One of which is that JM was acting so inappropriately towards other's and their personal space boundaries that when he approached Hannah it seemed to others that he must have already known her. Another SPECULATION is that they had some sort of prior contact that made this behavior understandable.

I think brainstorming and thinking outside the box can be very productive when there is only so much evidence given to the public.

A little O/T. Can a man consent to sex while impaired? A sidebar: If so, my wife & I have had a lot of unconsensual sex.

First the WG gives a totally off description of the suspect, and now Tempo witnesses can't get their stories straight... What I've always heard about the unreliability of witnesses is really apparent in this case! And another interesting thing is the picking and choosing of which pieces of evidence to release.

A little O/T. Can a man consent to sex while impaired? A sidebar: If so, my wife & I have had a lot of unconsensual sex.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure no one on this forum cares to hear about or discuss your sex life.

<modsnip>

As to the quoted post (BBM):
Evidence of force is force.
Absence of evidence of force is not force.
Her poor judgement is not evidence of force.
Lack of information of her whereabouts is not evidence of force, it isn't even circumstantial evidence of force. It is just absence of information.

Prosecutors lose jurors to reasonable doubt when they say something exists but don't provide evidence, or when they say something is evidence of something else (but it really isn't).

I think it is fine to acknowledge that during all of the visible portions of her time with JM, that HG agreed to be with him. That concept should not be offensive, it should be informative and invoke discussion. Why did she not leave while she could? (Discussing the answer to this question could help prevent loss of other daughters, and no I don't have a personal interest in JM's "innocence.")

I have personally wondered what JM could have offered to make HG choose to stick around. Some have suggested protection, familiarity, a promised ride.

I wonder if it was need, if she stayed to help HIM with something, as was her nature. Did he say he lost something, or was lost himself, or was depressed?

It is just a question of whether her personality was shining through her intoxication (at whatever level that might have been.)

Apparently a common tactic of child predators is to ask for help finding a missing dog. What was JM's strategy, besides removing socks?

<modsnip>

Regarding your definition of force: Perhaps I was unclear in my statement - force is implied after he (by witness accounts) practically had to walk her to his car/wherever. She was not in a position to consent to ANYTHING and a cab should have been called. Thus the assumption of force, so to speak.

Also, LE currently has abduction listed on the warrant which implies force/intimidation/coercion any way you slice it which is why people feel comfortable in making the connection between Hannah getting in his car and "force" whatever its incarnation.

My questions are these:
-Even if Hannah was sober as a judge, JM was her idea of Prince Charming, it was love at first sight and she absolutely wanted to go with him and get into his car after knowing him for 40 minutes...what does that matter or change?
-Does that change the fact that he is the last known person to see her alive?
-Will we better know where she went next?
-Would that make Hannah any less missing?
-If we all agree she wanted to be with him, will JM start answering questions?

To me, whether she wanted to be with him or not is a moot point. Even if she wanted to be with him that night, she's still missing and he's not talking. Which means we're not finding her.

So when I see questions/statements like, "what if she wanted to be with him?" I have to ask where it comes from because I personally am not seeing what it changes and it starts to feel like championing JM when the only one who needs a champion right now is Hannah.

In any case, best of luck.

They didn't meet up, though — he deliberately changed direction to follow her on the video.

It's possible that she stayed with him at Tempo b/c she was attracted to him. Possible, but seems unlikely imo b/c she texted that she was lost and en route to a friend's party. Also, the way JLM sidled up to Hannah and put his arm around her waist suggests that he took charge of the situation, perhaps by offering to help her.
Based on what JLM's friend says in Coy Barefoot's timeline article, the fact that he had his arm around her probably meant that no, they didn't know each other previously. The way you said he possibly "took charge of the situation" really struck me as exactly the right wording for the way I had imagined it. I still believe that Hannah would have been sweaty, maybe even flushed, from walking/running all the way from McGrady's to the Downtown Mall. Even if he's had a few drinks himself, he would have to notice that she was hot and possibly even a little winded from the exertion. Even if he doesn't notice, and just offers to buy her a cold drink, she may have accepted the offer from this big "gentle giant" guy who stepped in and "took charge of the situation," especially if she really was confused and didn't know her bearings. If she was already intoxicated, what clearly seems aggressive to most people could come across as caring and comforting to her in that physical and mental state.

I know when I was an undergrad at Virginia, I ended up walking out of a party one night on the opposite side of grounds from my dorm. The guy I had gone with to the party basically told me to leave when I made it clear I hadn't come to the party to sleep with him. I was 18 and walking all alone in the dark after midnight, terrified. There was a guy approaching from the opposite direction who looked to me like he was probably a graduate student, so I took a risk and stopped him, told him my situation, and asked if he would please walk with me back to the 1st year dorms. He did, but lectured me the entire way about what a stupid thing I had done, asking him, as he could have been anybody. I remember telling him that I thought my chances of being safe with him were better than my chances of being safe alone all the way back to the dorm. I was lucky I chose a decent guy, even if he did give me hell all the way back to the dorm. And I wasn't even drunk . . . .

Long personal story there, but my point is that it's really not far-fetched to me at all to think she willingly allowed somebody to take charge of the situation she was in, especially if she was intoxicated and confused. For all we know, she may have even been relieved somebody took an interest in her predicament, offering her a drink and some reassurance. From the accounts I have read of HG, she sounds kind and accepting, and probably young enough to still see good in everybody, rather than being on guard for what may be bad.

Based on what JLM's friend says in Coy Barefoot's timeline article, the fact that he had his arm around her probably meant that no, they didn't know each other previously. The way you said he possibly "took charge of the situation" really struck me as exactly the right wording for the way I had imagined it. I still believe that Hannah would have been sweaty, maybe even flushed, from walking/running all the way from McGrady's to the Downtown Mall. Even if he's had a few drinks himself, he would have to notice that she was hot and possibly even a little winded from the exertion. Even if he doesn't notice, and just offers to buy her a cold drink, she may have accepted the offer from this big "gentle giant" guy who stepped in and "took charge of the situation," especially if she really was confused and didn't know her bearings. If she was already intoxicated, what clearly seems aggressive to most people could come across as caring and comforting to her in that physical and mental state.

I know when I was an undergrad at Virginia, I ended up walking out of a party one night on the opposite side of grounds from my dorm. The guy I had gone with to the party basically told me to leave when I made it clear I hadn't come to the party to sleep with him. I was 18 and walking all alone in the dark after midnight, terrified. There was a guy approaching from the opposite direction who looked to me like he was probably a graduate student, so I took a risk and stopped him, told him my situation, and asked if he would please walk with me back to the 1st year dorms. He did, but lectured me the entire way about what a stupid thing I had done, asking him, as he could have been anybody. I remember telling him that I thought my chances of being safe with him were better than my chances of being safe alone all the way back to the dorm. I was lucky I chose a decent guy, even if he did give me hell all the way back to the dorm. And I wasn't even drunk . . . .

Long personal story there, but my point is that it's really not far-fetched to me at all to think she willingly allowed somebody to take charge of the situation she was in, especially if she was intoxicated and confused. For all we know, she may have even been relieved somebody took an interest in her predicament, offering her a drink and some reassurance. From the accounts I have read of HG, she sounds kind and accepting, and probably young enough to still see good in everybody, rather than being on guard for what may be bad.

Enni and Concerned Mama, the taking charge aspect, and the way you just explained it, makes a lot of sense to me. I had a similar experience in NYC when I was her age and I was lucky like you were and the guys I came across helped me. Plus there have been countless accounts about how JM was always so "helpful" or at least gave that impression to people.

I dont think it does. As someone who's been bartending in Va for 25 years, 7 dollars is insanely high for a beer...especially in a college town.

Not doubting you just doubting this article. When it originally came out it claimed that Hannah was drinking inside the restaurant.

Now it reads differently?.

I could be wrong but I suspect this particular reporter has no qualms about taking liberties with the truth.

You're right! It says "credit card records," which isn't definitive. So, unless two beers is written on the credit card receipt, the purchase could be anything.

Now, if he is referring to the bar's credit card receipts, it might be correct.

I have been following this case from the beginning, but haven't posted until now. It's been so hard to keep up!

Anyway, in this radio interview, Coy Barefoot shared a little more info with Sandy Hausman. He said he has seen the actual receipt printout. It says "house drink" for $7, and there were two ordered. His VISA card was used at 1:10 for this purchase. He said no one there (Tempo) remembers what drinks were ordered, whether it was 2 beers, or mixed drinks, or one of each.

http://wvtf.org/post/jesse-lj-matthew-reporters-notebook

I have been following this case from the beginning, but haven't posted until now. It's been so hard to keep up!

Anyway, in this radio interview, Coy Barefoot shared a little more info with Sandy Hausman. He said he has seen the actual receipt printout. It says "house drink" for $7, and there were two ordered. His VISA card was used at 1:10 for this purchase. He said no one there (Tempo) remembers what drinks were ordered, whether it was 2 beers, or mixed drinks, or one of each.

http://wvtf.org/post/jesse-lj-matthew-reporters-notebook

Hmmm.

"House drink" could be whats usually called a "rail drink" or "well drink"

Rail or well drinks are the cheap stuff. House vodka, rum, gin, tequila, scotch or bourbon.Its usually served either straight up with a chaser like a rum and coke.

Coys article did say that JLM had ordered two bourbons on his first visit that night didnt it? If JLM ordered two shots of bourbon again then it tends to back up the story of the door person who said HG never came inside.

The only other thing I could think of that someone would possibly designate as "House drink" would be a nightly bar special but thats a longshot. If that was the case it would probably just say "Bar Special"

A restaurant has to be able to differentiate between wine, beer, and liquor sales so you would expect to see it broken down that way on the receipt, both for the benefit of the restaurant and for the guest......otherwise the guests could become confused about the charges or unable to split a tab amongst themselves.

See how its broken down clearly in the example below?

bill.jpg

The more I read of the timeline, the clearer everything gets for me. Just because Hannah was with JM at the bar ( yes I fully believe that Hannah was inside the bar) doesn't mean that she "wanted to be with him". I can totally see him approaching her in the Mall in a confident over friendly manner "hey baby girl where you rushing off to?" "Are these guys bugging you here stick with me I'll take care of you". "How 'bout we get a drink" "let me buy you a drink baby girl" "lets go this way" "c'mon". He was not threatening to her at all at the time. The fact that they were inside Tempo from 1:10 am to 1:45 am when she was seen leaving in such a bad shape and being led away by JM absolutely confirms to me that he drugged her drink. Half an hour before she was clearly seen on video walking unassisted and 30 minutes and one drink later she can't stand up on her own or walk. No bloody way IMO. What a disgusting soulless predator.
If she went into the bar with him unforced, then she wanted to be with him in the bar for whatever reason, doesn't matter. She apparently did not find him disgusting as did the other witness (Holly) whose comments I found unreliable a bit. LE said the time in the bar was 15 minutes, not from 1:10 to 1:45 like you wrote. Furthermore, it has yet to be confirmed that she even was in the bar. There was only one witness that said she was needing assistance walking. I question that a bit as well. Your statement "absolutely confirms that he drugged her drink" is unsubstantiated, hostile, hateful thinking.

I am only wlling to believe what comes from LE. If LE gets information from a witness and believes it, then I probably will as well. Other than that, all witnesses do not pass as reliable. Heck, we've already heard from that WG that gave the wrong descriptiption of JL. See what I mean? Wait until they get these witnesses under oath, and see what they say.

First the WG gives a totally off description of the suspect, and now Tempo witnesses can't get their stories straight... What I've always heard about the unreliability of witnesses is really apparent in this case! And another interesting thing is the picking and choosing of which pieces of evidence to release.
LIKE! Notice on here that if a witness says something bad about JL, they believe it, but don't believe anything good said about him.

From the article:

Cunningham said that the restaurant&#8217;s alleged involvement in the timeline leading up to Graham&#8217;s disappearance is already having a negative effect on sales and his staff.

&#8220;We have a heart too. We are really affected, I am, by the desperation of Hannah &#8212; I am. It&#8217;s really saddening me,&#8221; Cunningham told ABC News.

&#8220;The mood that there is at this place is jovial &#8230; and we don&#8217;t want the sadness of Hannah&#8217;s desperation to carry along to us. I mean, it&#8217;s difficult enough to bear to be part of it,&#8221; he said.

Good grief, is that the best the owner can come up with? Definitely makes it seem like he's in complete CYA mode. No, sorry sir, but you do not "have a heart" to be more concerned with your bar's "jovial mood" than with Hannah's disappearance!!

flikr
instagram
twitter
reddit
topix
askfm
local c'ville forum
youtube
pintrest
Tumblr,
snapchat
Tinder
Google +
Yelp
WhatsApp
Yik Yak
Waze
Slingshot
Plenty of Fish

possible other
other dating websites?
some sport forum
football, fishing

please add

I've added all the suggestions to the list- I might get the chance to do some sleuthing later. Thanks to all & please add

in an article I read this morning, the manager was also standing at the door, not just the bouncer

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/own...ottesville-says-staff-served-matthew/28257674

"I didn't see anything with Ms. Graham and Mr. Matthew, I only saw Mr. Matthew. I saw him when I was standing at the door assisting the person at the door [checking IDs],&#8221; he said.

This starts to sound like BS to me, sadly. The owner assisting the doorperson seems highly unlikely....I dont believe that part, myself.

I remember having some weird dreams on Ambien, but nothing too crazy. I was out like a light and woke up feeling pretty refreshed in the morning. It was prescribed to me while I was adjusting to a new antidepressant and having trouble sleeping.

I have a pretty high tolerance for drugs though. Alcohol is another story. An ex-boyfriend of mine took Rohypnol in college once for fun, and he ran around in a playground, swinging and having fun... but the next day he barely remembered any of it; his roommates had to tell him everything that went on.

I'm in my early 40s now, but I was a moderate partier in my college days, and am still a regular pot smoker, FWIW. I was street-smart, but still got myself into some stupid situations that could have easily gone bad, and a couple in my teen years that did go kind of bad -- but I learned from them and moved on. Suffice it to say I've been around, and after reading this article: http://insidecville.com/blog/ljs-timeline/

I'll just say that LJ is a real predator. When you're a woman who knows what's up, you recognize them instantly. Had I been drunk, I'd have had no chance against someone like him, even in public, street-smart or not. That's what's truly frightening. Stone cold sober, yeah, I'd tell him to eff off and still be a little scared because of his sheer size and I'm sure he didn't come across as stable, especially while he was drinking. Hannah was like fresh meat to a tiger as far as he was concerned. These kinds of guys can SMELL any kind of weakness, from how many drinks you have, to low self-esteem, to being able to tell you're angry at a boyfriend -- you name it. And you know what's really scary? I don't think mister WG - our witness who was also following her on video - was any different. LJ was simply better at it and swooped in first.

I completely agree, Psych. Hannah never stood a chance.

I'm in ageeement, too. IMO, based on the description of JM's behavior that night, he was in predator mode and was seeking prey. He was dismissed by other women that night which must have added fuel to his fire. Then poor Hannah came along. She was heavily intoxicated (as described by a witness) and became easy bait for this predator.

A refresher from a previously posted article regarding JM's behavior that fateful evening/morning....

<Snip>

&#8220;He kept trying to put his hands on my legs, above and below the knee,&#8221; the young woman says. &#8220;He&#8217;d been way too aggressive all night, putting his arm around me, picking me up, putting his hands on my legs. I looked at him and told him to keep his hands off of me.&#8221; They were in Tempo Restaurant on Fifth Street in downtown Charlottesville. It was shortly after midnight, in the early morning hours of Saturday, September 13.

What I have learned is this: throughout the night, LJ Matthew demonstrated a troubling lack of respect for the physical boundaries of women and men&#8212; or perhaps even a deeper lack of understanding that those boundaries exist.

Unprovoked, he suddenly grabbed a man in the Blue Light Grill and wrenched him into a wrestling hold so forcefully that he pulled the man&#8217;s hamstring, leaving this man limping for days. In the first few seconds of meeting two women for the first time, he yanked them up off the ground and threw them over his shoulders and laughed, making them uncomfortable and embarrassed. He continued to follow both these women, at the Blue Light and later at the Tempo restaurant, putting his arm around them, his face uncomfortably close to theirs, touching their backs, their hair, their faces, their legs&#8212; until one of them cursed at him to stop. After one of the women slipped off the boots she was wearing, LJ unexpectedly pulled off her socks, saying he wanted to see her toes. A friend of LJ&#8217;s for over nine years described him as a &#8220;prowler,&#8221; clarifying his use of the word by adding, &#8220;which is not to say he was looking for a victim, but looking for a girl who&#8217;s already compromised a little bit, maybe improve his chances.&#8221;

http://insidecville.com/blog/ljs-timeline/

This starts to sound like BS to me, sadly. The owner assisting the doorperson seems highly unlikely....I dont believe that part, myself.

Wow, looks like this guy is really painting himself into a corner!

in an article I read this morning, the manager was also standing at the door, not just the bouncer

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/owne...tthew/28257674

"I didn't see anything with Ms. Graham and Mr. Matthew, I only saw Mr. Matthew. I saw him when I was standing at the door assisting the person at the door [checking IDs],” he said.

there is a video interview with the owner^^^

Are "House drinks", not usually the cheapest types? If I go out to dinner and order the "house wine", it usually is. Would that be the same in VA?

can anyone find a price list for beers/shots in Tempo? I can only see their champagne prices. $7 for cheap stuff??

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AllenImmab
Back