Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #11 One Suspect Dead; One in Custody

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ami, I meant he should have at least been interviewed given that he was already being suspected of being radical. Don't you find it odd that he never was?

Ami, I meant he should have at least been interviewed given that he was already being suspected of being radical. Don't you find it odd that he never was?

It's been reported that FBI never informed local Boston police that TT was suspected of being a radical. So local police had no idea.

He wasn't interviewed, let alone DNA tested, although he was suspected to be a radical Islamist.

Unbelievable.

Wasn't Tamerlan out of the country shortly after the triple murder?

Are we allowed to take DNA samples from people for being radical Islamists?

Don't think so, but maybe the law should start requiring DNA on anyone who is an alien, entering out country. I would vote for that!

It's been reported that FBI never informed local Boston police that TT was suspected of being a radical. So local police had no idea.

I know. That's the odd part.

Ouch. Thanks, I didn't know where/how his remains were taken care of.

Still, the point remains - we still remember his victims with love and compassion, and Ted, well, he is remembered for the murderer that he was. And last I was there, the Cascades are still beautiful, in spite of those ashes. :)

There is a hidden problem, God forbid! Unless his grave is ID'd in some
manner, you can bet conspiracy buffs will create a rumor that 'he is not
there - he never died - he was whisked back to Russia by the CIA in a
purple helicopter to continue living in opulence as the double-triple-
dreadnaught counter-counter agent he was ... proof that UFOs and aliens
are among us'. Or some-such drivel.

Alas there is never an easy way out of these things. :banghead:

He wasn't interviewed, let alone DNA tested, although he was suspected to be a radical Islamist.

Unbelievable.

Don't they now have his dna? I mean they had his body at the hospital. His blood and
tissue were on the street etc ... didn't someone take swabs ?

Am I missing something ?

Georger I was talking about the triple murder in 2011.

But you're right, now they should have his dna on file. They are looking if they can tie it to that murder.

I think it's all going to be speculation and rumors until May 30. I am so eager for this day, to see how DT pleads and what his defense put forward for him. We need this day for people's mind to be put at ease and then we can commence a serious debate.

In the way I've read about it, if we interviewed everyone suspected of being radical (especially if they were radicalized against a different foreign country) then we'd be expending the manpower that we're currently using for radicals more likely to pull off attacks against US targets. And in the course of talking about the Boston bombings I've heard estimates in the thousands, of the number of really serious threats being dealt with simultaneously at any given moment.

So if it's a choice between tracking down people suspected of radical following of Islam who have not made threats against US targets - and people who are known radicals with connections to cells that target the US? I guess I can understand why someone who made noise about radical action against Russia wasn't interviewed.

However, having said that, I think this bombing (as well as the ones in England and Spain) have shown us that we need to find an improved method to screen these lone-wolf radicals. Because although I don't blame the FBI for the protocols they followed, I think that NOW we need to accept the new reality and figure out some new screening methods.

When I was in Tanzania during Ramadan I saw the tension between the Zanzibarian Muslim population and the Christian Tanzanians. This tension plays out in so many places around the world, but just taking this one as an example. If (for instance) a Muslim Tanzanian student were in the US and texting his parents that he was increasingly in favor of radical solutions to take Zanzibar as a purely Muslim state separate from the mainland, should he then become an FBI target here in the US for expressing radical views about his home country? Maybe so.

Maybe as we heard so much commentary about on bbc after Boston, expats and first generation children of expats might feel displaced from their culture and not assimilated to the American culture, and become vulnerable to radical ideas as a way to connect with what they see as their cultural heritage. And these vulnerable young adults can become radicalized by youtube videos of charismatic recruiters and not ever be attached to a known terror cell, or even travel to a place where radical terrorists can train them. So how can this pattern be identified and stopped? I don't know the answer, but I feel like our protocols need to change. And I feel like conversations about making these changes are more important than whether the FBI should have foreseen this outcome based on what didn't look at all like anything that has been a threat to us before.

Don't think so, but maybe the law should start requiring DNA on anyone who is an alien, entering out country. I would vote for that!

I often have to give fingerprints when entering a foreign country. If my fingerprints ever came up at a crime scene, there are tons of international databases that now have mine linked to my passport. I know the US does this as well for foreigners entering the US... maybe it's just a matter of time before the cheek swab joins the biometric line up??

Ami... thank you for such a well thought, intelligent, informed post.

Interesting article on radicalization - in a different context

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/...an-recruits-young?google_editors_picks=true#1

Excerpts - more at link

Europol, the European police network, has just released its annual threat assessment, showing officials are taking stock of this problem.

The police force has noted “increasing numbers of radicalized [European Union] citizens traveling to regions of conflict to engage in terrorist activities,” Europol Director Rob Wainright wrote in the report.

“There is growing awareness of the threat posed by these people, should they return to the European Union intent on committing acts of terrorism,” he added.

Next door, the Netherlands has already ticked its national security level up a notch specifically because it learned so many Dutch residents had gone to the Syrian battlefields.

El-Mzairh, long active in Antwerp’s large Muslim community, says the alarm is justified. Long before the exodus to Syria raised new concerns, he’d been warning city leaders that Islamic radicals were making use of schools and parks to recruit young Belgians by exploiting a weak sense of community and inadequate guidance from old-fashioned imams in practicing tolerant Islam integrated with European norms.

“If we don’t give them answers, they go to the internet,” he says, where they “become hypnotized” by the likes of Al Nusra. “The biggest recruiter is the internet, it’s YouTube.”

And now, El-Mzairh says, the stringent Islam they’ve embraced to “fill the emptiness,” as he describes it, is “also asking them to kill people that try to stop them. So they’ve got a holy book in one hand and a weapon in the other.”

The Belgian government is at a loss over how they can be stopped.

I think now, my assumption from the beginning that drugs (not overseas) funded everything...............and I think it is going to be hard drugs, (crack escctasy or heroin) in like the last 9 months

all along it has explained the money question......from day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member