Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #11 One Suspect Dead; One in Custody

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The taxpayers, whose hard-earned dollars keep the place in business, should be outraged.

“We are prohibited from releasing such records by [the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act],” insisted school spokesman John Hoey. “Our interpretation of the law indicates that that information is confidential.”

Note that little “our interpretation” caveat.

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/opinion/op_ed/2013/05/cohen_umass_flunking_marathon_test

The school notes on its website that foreign students aren’t eligible for student aid and they have to pay the full $23,000 in out-of-state tuition ($33,000 with room and board), which means kids like Kadyrbayev and Tazhayakov are pretty much cash cows for UMass/Dartmouth — which also explains why school officials might want to keep those academic records private. One published report questioned whether Kadyrbayev had successfully completed high school.

There is a level of moral bankruptcy at play here — not just on the part of these “students” — and we do use the word loosely. Yes, these three, had they spoken up instead of covering up, might have saved the life of MIT police officer Sean Collier and saved the community 24 hours of trauma.

No. The school has attorneys who dictate how/if/when records can be shared, and those attorneys are more concerned with following the law and avoiding violations of the law than they are with whether or not their client (the University) makes money off the foreign students.

I also don't see how a student who isn't even currently paying the University tuition because he has dropped out would get special consideration in privacy related legal proceedings simply because the majority of his tuition was paid without federal government aid?

I get that people are looking to vilify anything connected to this case, but the University itself is doing exactly what it should - following the letter of the law, and interpreting it conservatively when there may be some ambiguity, while the legalities are investigated. At the moment, the University is walking on eggshells and getting as much legal opinion as possible before making a move. As they should. They are being responsible, even if the media believes the school should release anything and everything the media would like to publish.

Exactly whose "interpretation" of the law should be more important when making a call on a privacy law - the legal experts', or the media's?

Personally, I do not have issues with the funeral director accepting TT's corpse for Muslim burial preparation. However, I do not believe he should be buried in the US.

IF he must be buried in the US, and I don't agree that he was "raised in Cambridge," nor that in this case the US is his home country:

“He lived in America. He grew up here and for the last 10 years he decided to be in Cambridge, therefore any contemplation that the body should be taken to a home country...his home country is Cambridge, Massachusetts,” Tsarni said.

THEN his body's final destination (IF buried in the US) should not be announced or divulged.

I agree, a solution is to bury him anonymously somewhere. I do not think we can just say he shouldn't or can't be buried in the US if the family does not insist on sending him to Russia and pay for that. I think it is appropriate to respect one's religion or beliefs when it is possible. It is not always possible, so I also think cremation should be considered for TT. I myself, believe a body should go back to the earth, to not be embalmed. I don't want to be cremated really. Will my beliefs be fulfilled, I doubt it unless green burials get a lot cheaper before I die and I prepay for one. TT's body already has not been buried as is custom. If someone wants to pay to send him home, that's good also. Not going to comment on Tsarni because I feel the family is doing nothing to ease this process.

I know there will be a lot of "how can they do that" etc, rights of privacy, but quite honestly, if they want to listen in on my phone calls, and hear where I'm going, what I'm doing, and my boring grocery list, and my kiddos asking for moms taxi service......well, i'm really fine with that, KWIM?

I know there will be a lot of "how can they do that" etc, rights of privacy, but quite honestly, if they want to listen in on my phone calls, and hear where I'm going, what I'm doing, and my boring grocery list, and my kiddos asking for moms taxi service......well, i'm really fine with that, KWIM?

Listening to phone calls without a warrant is a major violation of privacy. In fact it is criminal, since neither side would know they are being recorded.

Listening to phone calls without a warrant is a major violation of privacy. In fact it is criminal, since neither side would know they are being recorded.

I get it. Just saying, personally, IMHO it wouldn't bother me if they were listening in on me....again JMHO

Not going to comment on Tsarni because I feel the family is doing nothing to ease this process.

Are you referring to Husein Tsarni, or Ruslan Tsarni?

Are you referring to Husein Tsarni, or Ruslan Tsarni?

Ruslan and his comments about burying the body in Cambridge.

Actually, I think TT's body should be respectfully handled, but making a huge fuss about it one way or the other is just stoking some fires.

National Security Letters

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Security_Letter

under contentious aspects;

" According to 2,500 pages of documents that the FBI turned over to the Electronic Frontier Foundation in response to a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit that the EFF had brought against the government, the FBI used national security letters to obtain data not only on individuals that it saw as targets of an investigation, but also to demand details from telecommunications companies on their “community of interest” — the network of people that the target in turn was in contact with. The bureau's NSL community of interest requests, which it recently discontinued, are part of an ongoing investigation by Justice Department inspector general Glenn A. Fine's office into the misuse of national security letters. Such "community of interest" record gathering is part of a data-mining technique intelligence officials call link analysis, believed to have been used by other intelligence agencies such as the National Security Agency. According to the September 9, 2007 The New York Times report on the FBI's use of NSLs to obtain broader information for data mining purposes, "In many cases, the target of a national security letter whose records are being sought is not necessarily the actual subject of a terrorism investigation and may not be suspected at all. Under the USA PATRIOT Act, the F.B.I. must assert only that the records gathered through the letter are considered relevant to a terrorism investigation."

All the fuss about a dead body is pretty weird to me. It's an object, at this point. It doesn't possess supernatural powers of evil that are going to "taint" everything around it. It's not going to rise up and start attacking people. :rolleyes:

Just bury it or cremate it the same as any other unclaimed body, or bodies of folks whose families cannot afford a burial. Good grief.

The problem is that his body has been claimed by a family member who can afford a burial. I can see why cemeteries and communities would be afraid that word would get out of where the body is located. :moo:

Ruslan and his comments about burying the body in Cambridge.

Actually, I think TT's body should be respectfully handled, but making a huge fuss about it one way or the other is just stoking some fires.

And from what I've read today, that family has been offered places to bury him in other states. So why insist he has to be buried in MA/Cambirdige?

his grave will be found i think and according to jihad he died a martyr. thus imo its a national security issue. they should bury him at sea like they did with OBL.

And from what I've read today, that family has been offered places to bury him in other states. So why insist he has to be buried in MA/Cambirdige?

I agree, he could be buried in another state if that has been offered.

Like I said, I can understand concern from officials, cemetery operators, etc about not wanting to deal with expense/hassle in case of protestors and desecrators. What bugs me is that this even has to be a concern for them. The public - or, the ones making an outcry about his burial anyway - are the ones that need to simmer down.

It's just a body, an object. It holds no power of evil. I don't think it's a national security issue either. Whether or not TT becomes some kind of object of veneration for terrorists (and really, i cant see why he would be) will probably have little to do with whether his grave can be visited or not. I doubt many would-be terrorists would make a pilgrimage to this guy's cemetery plot.

I don't understand why his parents wouldn't want his body down back home to Russia. TT obviously hated America and it sounds like the mother died to do why be buried there? It would make me sick to know my son is rotting somewhere and his body was unclaimed for so long. I think this makes them horrible parents. Especially since they believe he is innocent.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

The problem is that his body has been claimed by a family member who can afford a burial. I can see why cemeteries and communities would be afraid that word would get out of where the body is located. :moo:

If someone has indeed claimed the body, then there should be no problem with them getting a plot, or place for the cremated remains, if they are paying for it.

We can't pick and choose who we bury/dispose of. A dead body is a dead body is a dead body. Imagine if all of a sudden we can just pick and choose who to dispose of because of whether we like them or not. I can think of more than a handful of jerks I know personally who would end up lying dead in the street if we let this kind of mentality take over.

If someone has indeed claimed the body, then there should be no problem with them getting a plot, or place for the cremated remains, if they are paying for it.

We can't pick and choose who we bury/dispose of. A dead body is a dead body is a dead body. Imagine if all of a sudden we can just pick and choose who to dispose of because of whether we like them or not. I can think of more than a handful of jerks I know personally who would end up lying dead in the street if we let this kind of mentality take over.

Uncle Ruslan has claimed the body. There was video of him at the funeral home yesterday. The problem is that Uncle Ruslan can't pick and choose which cemetery will accept the remains. He should choose from one of the locales which have volunteered to accept the remains and let it be over. all MOO

My heart goes out to Ruslan Tsarni.

IMO, I think Ruslan has always tried to do what he perceives to be the right thing for his extended family members. When Tamerlan was alive, before they became estranged, Ruslan tried to guide him, to no avail.

He strongly denounced his terrorist nephews' actions the moment he heard the news of their heinous crimes. He didn't try to deny their evil deeds the way their vile parents' & aunt did. He earned my respect when he did so.

I'm glad Uncle Ruslan has good friends who are trying to help him deal with this mess.

"I'm dealing with logistics. A dead person must be buried," he said.

"These are my friends who feel for me ... as I do understand no one wants to associate their names with such evil events," he said.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/379079/3/Cemeteries-refuse-to-bury-Boston-bombing-suspect

However, I understand why Cambridge City Manager Robert Healy has refused to issue a deed for a cemetery plot.

Healy says it would not be in the best interest of the city to execute a deed for a plot at Cambridge Cemetery for Tsarnaev's body. He said the city would be "adversely impacted by the turmoil, protests and wide spread media presence at such an interment." He said the families who have loved ones interred there also deserve to have their deceased family members rest in peace.

Above quote from same link.

I hope an anonymous gravesite can be found, and that Uncle Ruslan can bury his nephew secretly, so that this matter can be resolved & he can move on with his life.

IMO, as long as no one knows that this terrorist is buried in the same cemetery as their loved one(s), then what they don't know won't affect them (psychologically & emotionally). As other posters have mentioned, it's not as if his corpse can rise up out of the grave & hurt anyone. It's just an empty shell.

Do I believe that this terrorist deserves to be eulogized @ a funeral? Absolutely not. But his remains need to be buried, despite his evil deeds. I do believe that his family member (Uncle Ruslan), who has taken it upon himself to carry this burden, deserves resolution so that he can move forward & focus on his own life & his own family.

He may need to relinquish his desire for his nephew to be buried in Massachusetts, and accept one of the out of state offers.

Aren't there prison graveyards? I think there is. He could be buried in one of those

My heart goes out to Ruslan Tsarni.

IMO, I think Ruslan has always tried to do what he perceives to be the right thing for his extended family members. When Tamerlan was alive, before they became estranged, Ruslan tried to guide him, to no avail.

He strongly denounced his terrorist nephews' actions the moment he heard the news of their heinous crimes. He didn't try to deny their evil deeds the way their vile parents' & aunt did. He earned my respect when he did so.

I'm glad Uncle Ruslan has good friends who are trying to help him deal with this mess.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/379079/3/Cemeteries-refuse-to-bury-Boston-bombing-suspect

However, I understand why Cambridge City Manager Robert Healy has refused to issue a deed for a cemetery plot.

Above quote from same link.

I hope an anonymous gravesite can be found, and that Uncle Ruslan can bury his nephew secretly, so that this matter can be resolved & he can move on with his life.

IMO, as long as no one knows that this terrorist is buried in the same cemetery as their loved one(s), then what they don't know won't affect them (psychologically & emotionally). As other posters have mentioned, it's not as if his corpse can rise up out of the grave & hurt anyone. It's just an empty shell.

Do I believe that this terrorist deserves to be eulogized @ a funeral? Absolutely not. But his remains need to be buried, despite his evil deeds. I do believe that his family member (Uncle Ruslan), who has taken it upon himself to carry this burden, deserves resolution so that he can move forward & focus on his own life & his own family.

He may need to relinquish his desire for his nephew to be buried somewhere other than Massachusetts, and accept one of the out of state offers.

BBM

It would cost money to get the body out of the state. I think money is the reason the parents didn't bring him back to where they are.

I read an article this AM that someone had started a burial fund for him and had donated $500., but can't find the article now. Maybe they got so much flak, they decided against it.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member