Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #11 One Suspect Dead; One in Custody

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How exactly do they plan to recover the phone conversation? And as far as I can tell, recording of phone calls is illegal, unless judge allows it. Yet FBI is claiming they were not monitoring TT.

I don't know how it's done or anything about the legalities. DH is an attorney, was a criminal prosecutor for years and now prosecutes attorneys for ethics violations.

Cambridge officials will not allow Tamerlan Tsarnaev to be buried in city cemetery

Healy [City Manager Robert W. Healy] said the city had no obligation to allow the burial.

“Under the State Law, … ‘it shall be the duty of the city manager to act as chief conservator of the peace within the city,’ I have determined that it is not interest of “peace within the city” to execute a cemetery deed for a plot within the Cambridge Cemetery for the body of Tamerlin Tsarnaev,” Healy’s statement read.

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/201...al-director/qr5o7l7aq4HhuS5UNiCjdJ/story.html

Fly it to the South Pole and bury it there! Or at sea like bin Ladin, if it cannot be held and must be buried.

The alphabet soup confused me, too. In the earliest reporting, the child was described as 2 1/2, but all the later articles say 3. No date of birth has been published. all MOO

If the video of ZT and the child was taken March 2013, I'd say she was more like 2 1/2.

Fly it to the South Pole and bury it there! Or at sea like bin Ladin, if it cannot be held and must be buried.

Where ever it goes, they'll be lots of weeds.

http://world.time.com/2013/04/29/pi...imeblogs/the_china_blog+(TIME:+The+China+Blog)

For one, the name says William Plotnikov, an unusual fusion of English and Russian that hints at his family’s move from Siberia to the West. Then there is the stone’s Islamic crescent moon and star, suggesting a conversion to Islam — as do the weeds that grow over the swollen mound of earth. (In local Muslim tradition, it is forbidden to pluck fresh weeds from a grave site, because they are thought to help the dead atone for sins.)

I don't understand his comments either. Is he suggesting that every phone conversation is recorded? That is clearly illegal.

"In response to this 2011 request, the FBI checked U.S. government databases and other information to look for such things as derogatory telephone communications, possible use of online sites associated with the promotion of radical activity, associations with other persons of interest, travel history and plans, and education history"
http://www.fbi.gov/news/updates-on-investigation-into-multiple-explosions-in-boston

This is from the F.B.I. website.It also makes it sound like phone calls are being monitored !!!

and someone just posted this link on the "Boston bombong backlash thread"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/may/04/telephone-calls-recorded-fbi-boston

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...ty-cemetery/cCsII4AnDxSxgI4s92qlCL/story.html

Meanwhile, a local Worcester man said he plans to open a bank account to raise money to send Tsarnaev’s body back to Russia.

William T. Breault, chairman of the Main South Alliance for Public Safety in Worcester, said in a press release he will donate $500 to kick off the fund-raising effort.

He said two Worcester-area funeral directors told him they estimate it would cost between $3,000 and $7,000 to send the body back to Russia.

About TT's burial I would say if the family can not or will not pay to have him shipped bury him here but I agree the graveside should remain annonymous and the burial should not be announced.

About TT's burial I would say if the family can not or will not pay to have him shipped bury him here but I agree the graveside should remain annonymous and the burial should not be announced.

If it must be done, I certainly agree with your suggestion wrt the "anonymous" aspect.

Many of my ancestors are buried in a beautiful and very historic cemetery in Ontario. Back in the 1990s, some rich dude committed a major crime and died in the process. For some reason he ended up buried with a big, somewhat garish headstone, in that same cemetery. After that, it seemed that very special place no longer had the same feeling of peace and serenity that it had prior to his "arrival".

Robel Phillipos appears in court today: http://www.telegram.com/article/20130506/NEWS/105069905/1052

“This case is about a frightened and confused 19 year old who was subjected to intense questioning and interrogation, without the benefit of counsel, and in the context of one of the worst attacks against the nation,” lawyers Derege Demissie and Susan Church wrote.

Yeah no doubt he was frightened and confused! But seriously that's supposed to mean he shouldn't be accountable for LYING about the "one of the worst attacks against the nation"? He actually needed "counsel" to tell him not to lie to government officials?

I just wish one of these friends of DT would admit what they did was wrong, incredibly damaging and dangerous, that it impeded the investigation and that they were truly sorry - and then take their punishment.

The article goes on to say that his attorney states that Phillipos was there that day "by coincidence" at a seminar on April 18th, and that he had taken a "leave of absence" before that.

Who cares? He's not being charged with "deliberately being at the college on April 18th" - he's being charged with making false statements! What does it matter why he happened to be on campus the day he went to DT's dorm room and removed a backpack of bomb making material and then lied about it to the authorities?

How exactly do they plan to recover the phone conversation? And as far as I can tell, recording of phone calls is illegal, unless judge allows it. Yet FBI is claiming they were not monitoring TT.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/16/politics/16program.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Months after the Sept. 11 attacks, President Bush secretly authorized the National Security Agency to eavesdrop on Americans and others inside the United States to search for evidence of terrorist activity without the court-approved warrants ordinarily required for domestic spying, according to government officials.

The officials said the administration had briefed Congressional leaders about the program and notified the judge in charge of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, the secret Washington court that deals with national security issues.

Warrants are still required for eavesdropping on entirely domestic-to-domestic communications, those officials say, meaning that calls from that New Yorker to someone in California could not be monitored without first going to the Federal Intelligence Surveillance Court.

I agree.

It seems like it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Either we bury him where he "would want to be buried" - which is galling to imagine not only following what his wishes would be but paying for the pleasure as well ... or we ignore his wishes and bury him in a place he would have hated, and which would cost less - which is galling to imagine as we will have his remains in the same ground as our loved ones, and some of his victims, always near us.

I think the solution of an anonymous burial where no one would have to know and walk past, or feel their own loved ones resting place was desecrated. Are there certain graveyards where unclaimed bodies are buried? Maybe someplace like that.

All the fuss about a dead body is pretty weird to me. It's an object, at this point. It doesn't possess supernatural powers of evil that are going to "taint" everything around it. It's not going to rise up and start attacking people. :rolleyes:

Just bury it or cremate it the same as any other unclaimed body, or bodies of folks whose families cannot afford a burial. Good grief.

All the fuss about a dead body is pretty weird to me. It's an object, at this point. It doesn't possess supernatural powers of evil that are going to "taint" everything around it. It's not going to rise up and start attacking people. :rolleyes:

Just bury it or cremate it the same as any other unclaimed body, or bodies of folks whose families cannot afford a burial. Good grief.

I agree, but the way people feel about it is very real, which matters in such an emotional case. I don't personally think the body contains anything good or bad anymore, but the symbol of the body means a lot to people that are still traumatized by the destruction. Also I thought the Cambridge official had a good point that if it was known where he was buried, the city would be overwhelmed with protesters, people desecrating the grave, there would then be security concerns and the bad feelings would be fueled by the reminder, etc. I get that.

Totally agree that it should be cremated or buried as an unclaimed body.

Yeah, I totally get the officials concerns about possible damage to a burial site, or having to deal with protestors, etc. it's the superstitious reaction of some of the public that I don't get at all. I feel like its the 1600s or something, and we're back talking about curses, spectral evidence, and the like. :rolleyes:

Just bury or cremate it quietly, as any other unclaimed person would be. I mean, just for public health reasons alone, dead bodies need to be taken care of!

I agree and I do understand the emotional impact this has on the people of Boston and beyond. I am curious: was there a similar discussion about Adam Lanza and where he should or shouldn't be buried?

I agree and I do understand the emotional impact this has on the people of Boston and beyond. I am curious: was there a similar discussion about Adam Lanza and where he should or shouldn't be buried?

Not as much as this. There was a lot of discussion about who would be the one to claim Lanza's body, but I don't recall an uproar about where he would be buried. I could have missed it, I guess. :waitasec:

The taxpayers, whose hard-earned dollars keep the place in business, should be outraged.

“We are prohibited from releasing such records by [the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act],” insisted school spokesman John Hoey. “Our interpretation of the law indicates that that information is confidential.”

Note that little “our interpretation” caveat.

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/opinion/op_ed/2013/05/cohen_umass_flunking_marathon_test

The school notes on its website that foreign students aren’t eligible for student aid and they have to pay the full $23,000 in out-of-state tuition ($33,000 with room and board), which means kids like Kadyrbayev and Tazhayakov are pretty much cash cows for UMass/Dartmouth — which also explains why school officials might want to keep those academic records private. One published report questioned whether Kadyrbayev had successfully completed high school.

There is a level of moral bankruptcy at play here — not just on the part of these “students” — and we do use the word loosely. Yes, these three, had they spoken up instead of covering up, might have saved the life of MIT police officer Sean Collier and saved the community 24 hours of trauma.

Reporters use leaks, anonymous "officials" to spread false news of Boston bomb suspect:

http://www.clevelandchallenger.com/...-to-spread-false-news-of-boston-bomb-suspect/

This article is in regards to our previous discussion on those leaks from "official sources" and why, in some instances, we should be wary and dubious of what is reported before the May 30 hearing.

It's important to keep in mind releasing classified information without authorization in regards to national terrorist databases and intelligence is a felony with up to 10 years in prisons and fines. Federal employees are under very strict confidentiality guidelines especially with regard to an ongoing federal investigation that is before a court of law.

Apparently a lot of sleuthers were unmoved by Antigone's anguish over her inability to bury her brother. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties