Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #9 One Suspect Dead; One in Custody

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In state tuition/resident to UMASS is not expensive. just FYI.
It is if you add the room & board, books, fees and the student has no discernible income. So far, it has been reported that DT got about $2,500, in total, for a scholarship...no reports have said that it was renewable for two, three or four years or if so if it was dependent on maintaining a certain GPA and course load, whatever.

True....BUT this wasnt KT's friend......it was her HUSBAND .....

Just imagine for two seconds you are sitting there watching the 5 o'clock news and your husbands face pops up on TV saying he's wanted for questioning.....what would be your first instinct?

I think most people NORMAL first response would be to call their husband, like I thin 2 seconds, without thinking too much into it.

I don't think many people would think "oh my husbands face is on TV, he must be guilty, let me call the FBI" . I'm just being realistic, in that moment, I think instinct would be to pick up your phone and hit your speed dial.

Did she end up tipping him off... Probably, but I don't exactly think her intention was to tip him off so he could flee and evade the FBI.

After some thought should she have perhaps contacted the FBI, perhaps. But not doing it could have been more about denial and confusion then aiding and abetting.

I don't really think we should start placing the blame of Sean's death on the shoulders of KT just yet. (And I say that as someone who has a personal connection to Sean, and knows a former roommate of his, so I am in no way trivializing the cold blooded way Sean's life was taken).

I blame TT and DT for Sean Collier's death. I probably wouldn't turn in my husband for tax evasion, defacing public property or smoking weed, but we're talking about a heinous crime with multiple deaths and mass casualties. I think a whole lot of wives would turn in their husbands in that case.

$11,600 tuition only. very reasonable in this day and age.
$22k is with room & board. that's also reasonable.
besides, you can fully finance tuition with student loans.
http://www.umassd.edu/undergraduate/financing/tuitionandfees/

don't confuse UMASS Dartmouth with Dartmouth.

I'm not confusing the two. I got my figures from the UM at D website. DT was supposedly staying in the dorm so I guess that would be boarding. It may be reasonable, but it's not inexpensive.

From abovelinked xfinity article:

"Anzor and Zubeidat said Tamerlan had been influenced by an ethnic Armenian emigre from Azerbaijan whom they knew only by the name of Misha.

"Tamerlan very much respected him for him knowing Islam... He was (saying) like, 'Mom, look at him, he prays, he is fasting all the time'," said Zubeidat, who describes herself as a devout Muslim and said she was inspired to become more religious by the man called Misha.

The family said they had met the man in the Russian-speaking diaspora in Boston in 2007.

U.S. officials have said Tamerlan became more radical from around 2009.

"I wasn't praying until he (Misha) prayed in our house, so I just got really ashamed that I am not praying, being a Muslim, being born a Muslim ... while Misha, who converted, was praying," Zubeidat said.

"When he used to come to our house, there was nothing not to like about him. (He) was very nice, very gentle," she said."

Did we know that Misha was "an ethnic Armenian emigre from Azerbaijan"?
Surely there were others in the Boston area who met/interacted with this person.

---------------------------
ETA: HLN reporting about transfer of bomber to prison facility, describing intake procees and the "cell" the prisoner would be put into. ???

The patient must have made an astoundingly quick recovery to be going from ICU to a cell?

I don't know too much about Armenians in Azerbaijan....

But I find it curious that an Armenian was a convert to Islam.....given the Armenians history around WWI with Islamic Turks (which I know I great deal about).

I think so. There were two young men and a young woman taken in for questioning, then released, then later the same two young men were brought in again and held.

These young men are Russian speaking, on student visas, and not enrolled in college - no link, sorry.

Did we ever hear more about the consulate van that arrived and picked up one of the girls at that same apt? It was discussed here on an earlier thread last week.

I meant no offense. I thought you meant the brothers were no harm when clearly they are.

CNN is what I am saying is not enough. One country reports one thing, another country another. The reports are meant to keep the citizens of the individual countries calm or to incite. I don't know how to say it right, but the public only is told so much. The news does not tell us all. Look beyond and farther.

I apologize for my abruptness. It is how I respond. I'm not one for soft and comfy, guess it is part my job, and part my life. No offense intended! I was asking and reacting at the same time.
I think , we all are allowed to have intense feelings about the last couple weeks.

We deserve it, been a ride. Amazing...................

Just imagine for two seconds you are sitting there watching the 5 o'clock news and your husbands face pops up on TV saying he's wanted for questioning.....what would be your first instinct?

I think most people NORMAL first response would be to call their husband, like I thin 2 seconds, without thinking too much into it.

I don't think many people would think "oh my husbands face is on TV, he must be guilty, let me call the FBI" . I'm just being realistic, in that moment, I think instinct would be to pick up your phone and hit your speed dial.

Did she end up tipping him off... Probably, but I don't exactly think her intention was to tip him off so he could flee and evade the FBI.

After some thought should she have perhaps contacted the FBI, perhaps. But not doing it could have been more about denial and confusion then aiding and abetting.

I don't really think we should start placing the blame of Sean's death on the shoulders of KT just yet. (And I say that as someone who has a personal connection to Sean, and knows a former roommate of his, so I am in no way trivializing the cold blooded way Sean's life was taken).
Points well taken yet she was in his life at the time he was investigated by the FBI. They would have interviewed her as well...especially her because after the couple had gotten married, in June of 2010 (before the FBI investigated him and before he left her two times to go to a troubled area in Russia for a month or two the first time and six months the next time.) In addition, she had become "devout" as well and was wearing traditional Islamic clothing. There are plenty of moderate Islamic women who chose only to wear the head scarf...they don't all go to the extreme that KR did.

I think she was well aware of the possibility that he and his brother bombed the Marathon... especially once she saw his picture and heard that he and his brother had been named as "SUSPECTS" and not as POIs.

I am right there with the poster who said they must be poorer than they thought!

$22,000 tuition may be "reasonable", but when nobody in the entire friggin' family seems to have a job except the American wife home health aide, it is alot! Come on folks, welfare benefits aren't that good.

Single mothers I have worked with who were dependent on welfare benefits were hurting. Having a difficult time getting through the month. Going to church food banks to supplement their food stamps. Purchasing clothing for themselves and their children at thrift stores and/or receiving donations from charities. (The mothers I was working with were all attending school in order to better themselves, through a Federal/State sponsored program designed to get people off welfare by training them for work.)

IMO there was way too much money floating around here for there not to have been some illegal source for it.

Thanks was just looking for something like that

Yeah you know the feds were not going to blow this by letting him say things they can't use later. It's not their first rodeo
Respectfully disagree. He did all the stuff we wanted. Motivation/Involvement/Plans/ and every bit of that is gone -- cannot be bought up in a court of law.

He has got a good lawyer === sucks but its brillant and it will work - will he get the death IMO, of course.

Does not matter - this dog and pony show that is coming up and will last for the next 15 years!

These young men are Russian speaking, on student visas, and not enrolled in college - no link, sorry.

Did we ever hear more about the consulate van that arrived and picked up one of the girls at that same apt? It was discussed here on an earlier thread last week.

No, no word on which consulate it was, only rumors, unverified. I can guess, but it would only be a guess.

Per Fox. Zubeidat details the health problems that prevented Anzor's travel today: head and stomach (because of nerves) and high blood pressure.

More likely the FBI are not paying his fare, and where would he stay, he is better off staying with his quaky wife in their new hiding place.

When I give KR the benefit of the doubt that she was totally in the dark, this is the scenario I envision.

If she truly had no foreknowledge of her husband's terrorist plans, she's probably distraught about Officer Collier's death, as well as feeling anguish about her husband's & brother in-law's bombing victims.

If she had no foreknowledge, she may regret that she hadn't contacted LE, instead of Tamerlan, when she saw his face on the news.

I find it interesting that no one has claimed Tamerlan's body. As his wife, she would have the primary legal right to do so. The fact that she hasn't done so tells me that, at this point, she wants nothing to do with him or the disposition of his remains.

Personally, I hope no one claims his remains. I hope he ends up cremated & disposed of in a common grave, which is allowed under MA law.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXVI/Chapter114/Section43m

I am right there with the poster who said they must be poorer than they thought!

$22,000 tuition may be "reasonable", but when nobody in the entire friggin' family seems to have a job except the American wife home health aide, it is alot! Come on folks, welfare benefits aren't that good.

Single mothers I have worked with who were dependent on welfare benefits were hurting. Having a difficult time getting through the month. Going to church food banks to supplement their food stamps. Purchasing clothing for themselves and their children at thrift stores and/or receiving donations from charities. (The mothers I was working with were all attending school in order to better themselves, through a Federal/State sponsored program designed to get people off welfare by training them for work.)

IMO there was way too much money floating around here for there not to have been some illegal source for it.

Well, or a government source.

I blame TT and DT for Sean Collier's death. I probably wouldn't turn in my husband for tax evasion, defacing public property or smoking weed, but we're talking about a heinous crime with multiple deaths and mass casualties. I think a whole lot of wives would turn in their husbands in that case.

However you cannot assume that she thought her husband was guilty during that first initial phone call JUST from seeing his picture on TV. If you KNOW your husband is guilty of murder, then YES I can see turning your husband in.

But I really don't think most people would jump to the conclusion that their husband WAS in fact guilty, 30 seconds after seeing their face on TV. And have their first response be to turn their husband in.

ITA. Both of them were apparently close to the bombs when bombs exploded. It really wouldn't make sense for someone else to use the remote.
Or , for some reason it seems that it is either one or the other. Over there Russia - or online. What about a dash of both, practice, he certainly was into hating us.

As I said, I work here at UMassD and the students here don't pay nearly what is quoted on the website - these are on-campus students. With no parents in the uS and no income, DT would have paid even less than what I quoted. They simply don't pay that much.

Thank you! Doesn't look very good for KR right now. My opinion: there's no excuse for doing what she allegedly did (warning them).

Hi Myster! :seeya: re the bolded paragraph: acc to Greta's interview linked above she did not call to ask him "what's going on?" but clearly to give them a heads up.

Over the last week I have heard several experts on CNN doubting very much that the brothers pulled this off alone. I tend to believe them. And today was reported that the trigger they used was NOT described in the Inspire manual online, so how did they learn that?

respectfully snipped for space

21merc7, yes, AlwaysShocked is right, I was refferring to the uncles. That's why I used their name, Tsarni, instead of the family's original name Tsarnaev. Sorry for the confusion! Of course I don't think the two bomb suspects are "okay"!

But what do you mean by "world news would be helpful"? I'm watching CNN and read several online news outlets.

It would be one thing if they were just wanted for simple questioning, but this was a very very big deal. I would not have called my family member, friend or anyone I saw wanted and if that person lived with me, I would immediately call authorities for protection. There is something to be said for common sense! Although, my suspicion is that KT was under great duress and probably in fear for her life, calling him may have been her way of having the last word!

TY for this article Laura!

Can you imagine having fun one minute, and the very next minute, you're looking down at where your legs used to be and, instead of seeing your legs, you see your bones sticking out & your flesh torn & your arteries spurting blood?

God bless Jeff. I'm so glad that Carlos (God bless him, too!) was there to help save him.
Shttp://www.necn.com/04/26/13/Jeff-Bauman-Everyone-was-having-a-great-/landing.html?blockID=839181&feedID=11106uch a story here-- he is on video = there is something captivating about his story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ribut1932