Thailand - FOUND ALIVE - 12 Boys And Coach Still Trapped In Cave , 23 June 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how often a SEAL dies from forgetting to switch out a tank. Major screw up due to exhaustion?
http://www.businessinsider.com/former-navy-seal-rescuing-thai-soccer-team-trapped-in-cave-dies-2018-7Former navy SEAL working to rescue Thai soccer team trapped in a cave has died
Each diver reportedly needs to carry three heavy oxygen tanks to deliver them to the cave. But the path is treacherous, winding, and long, taking skilled divers around five hours each way.
"His job was to deliver oxygen. He did not have enough on his way back," Chiang Rai Deputy Governor Passakorn Boonyaluck told reporters.

Last edited:
Thailand cave rescue: former navy diver dies during operation – live

Following on the heels of the terrible news of the death of the former navy Seal diver assisting with the rescue mission, there are now also concerns about the oxygen levels in the cave where the boys and their coach are trapped.

Chiang Rai governor Narongsak Osotthanakor, said oxygen levels in the cave have been depleted by the large number of rescue workers working in the cave network. Officials are now working to get a 5km-long cable into the cave where the boys are to supply them with air.

The imminent monsoon rains, which could trap the boys inside the cave for up to four months, have combined with the treacherous dive conditions, to make this a very very difficult rescue operation.

Truly gutted and heartbroken about the 38-year-old diver.
The extraction of the soccer team is way more complicated than a 50-min, with-the-current swim.
I wish there was better knowledge about anticipated water levels in the chamber that the boys are in...
...For me, the long, safe game is a better solution than any that includes a loss of life.

Former navy SEAL working to rescue Thai soccer team trapped in a cave has died
Each diver reportedly needs to carry three heavy oxygen tanks to deliver them to the cave. But the path is treacherous, winding, and long, taking skilled divers around five hours each way.
"His job was to deliver oxygen. He did not have enough on his way back," Chiang Rai Deputy Governor Passakorn Boonyaluck told reporters.
That's not all of the story. He was an experienced diver who had full oxygen tanks with him. Every diver is taught how to change a tank underwater. He must have become trapped.

I wonder if the tanks of oxygen he was transporting are heavier than the air tanks they use for diving. Maybe a miscalculation was made in how much air he would need to complete the dive because he used incorrect tank weights for calculating?

I am very confused about how this could happen.

The extraction of the soccer team is way more complicated than a 50-min, with-the-current swim.
I wish there was better knowledge about anticipated water levels in the chamber that the boys are in...
...For me, the long, safe game is a better solution than any that includes a loss of life.
There is no "Safe game." Though waiting it out may be safer than their other options. Everything really depends on the weather.

Not impressed by these latecomers and their offers. Call me a skeptic but if they could have helped, where have they been??

I think some of them want to add their names, Elon Musk etc to the list of 'rescuers'. Too little, too late......or too close. IMO

They need better pumps, but the subject of financal limitations always arose. Elon Musk has now offered pumps. Plus more.
I do recall reading last week, when he made an offer earlier on, to let him know what they needed. I will try to find it. It's out there. And fwiw, I also am kinda jaded about bigwigs trying to position themselves into "causes" for their own promotion. But then again if that's what it takes to get these boys out alive and safely back home -- then, I'm all for it!
I recall he offered "whatever you need" at first, and then when he found out particular needs, he offered the particular needs.
I don't know and don't care, just as long as they are accepted, and the boys are saved!
jm very long-winded o
:(

Last edited:
They turned off the pumps last night. Why?
They are far below the ground. You can't just drill a hole because how large the distance is. Regardless of which country this is happening in.
2010 Copiapó mining accident
The 2010 Copiapó mining accident, also known then as the "Chilean mining accident", began on Thursday, 5 August 2010. Thirty-three men, trapped 700 meters (2,300 ft) underground were rescued after 69 days.[1][2]

Three separate drilling rig teams, nearly every Chilean government ministry, the United States' NASA space agency, and a dozen corporations from around the world cooperated completing the rescue. On 13 October 2010 the men were winched to the surface one at a time, in a specially built capsule, as an estimated 1 billion people worldwide watched.[3][4][5] With few exceptions all were in good medical condition with no long-term physical effects anticipated.[6]
2010 Copiapó mining accident - Wikipedia

(bbm)
Unfortunately, there is no "safe game" here. At all.

the boys that are so weak they aren't moving.....I hope the oxygen helps them. I'm very concerned about them. They have to get stronger and quickly. If the only way to get the kids and coach out is thru the water they need their strength.
Do we know if the coach is improving? Pretty worried about him too. Well, all of them.

The boys are currently 2640 feet below the ground (0.5 miles) where they are currently located.

If they were able to swim to a cavern next to theirs (on either side and it's not a skinny passageway) they would only be approx. 1320 feet underground.
The 33 Chilean miners who were RESCUED were trapped at 2300 feet underground.

The Chilean rescue cost $20 million dollars, but it was donated by industries and other countries (mainly the USA).

Beg for donations and start drilling!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 9.50.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 9.50.46 PM.png
    898.9 KB · Views: 5
That's not all of the story. He was an experienced diver who had full oxygen tanks with him. Every diver is taught how to change a tank underwater. He must have become trapped.
...it could even be something like he became dehydrated and had heart failure. It's a real risk. He was probably pushing himself, I'm sure.
RIP. One hero down. dammit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member