Thailand - FOUND ALIVE - Officials Believe 12 Boys And Coach Trapped In Cave , 23 June 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am definitely keeping everyone there in my prayers. I hope you are right because I am really concerned about the rain coming.

If anyone has ever watched how the guttering takes rain off the roof of a house then you get a feeling of how much water a mountain can produce into that cave. The sheer surface area of the mountain will cause tremendous amounts of water to seep into the cave system. Also the water table in that mountain may be contributing to the water so even if they divert streams I am not sure how effective it will be once the hard rains come.

I hope and pray they can get them out before the heavy rains start.

I agree. If they wait for the rain to start the current could be extremely strong and fast. They need the current to be as calm as possible, before any storm starts. I hope Friday and Saturday will be extremely sunny. It’s a long shot but I’m praying for a miracle. If I read of a cloudy forecast I’m going to freak out. I understand they need to get the water as low as possible but they’ve got to get them out before the storm!

It's really too bad they haven't found an air shaft that could be used to get them up and out.

If they get stuck down there then drilling will probably become a more serious attempt.

There was a good idea I read somewhere else that could be used to find an opening. While they are already down there in the cave they should pick a safe spot to drill from the cave below and then light a small dyed yellow or red smoke bomb to let the smoke travel up to the top ground and have spotters topside looking to see where the smoke comes out. That would pinpoint the place to drill. They would have to be careful not to put out too much smoke and only do that if they know air is going up and out of the cave. They could test it with a small amount of smoke and if it travels up through the roof of the cave then light a larger smoke bomb.

The problem with that idea is if the smoke travels through cracks and crevices it could pinpoint a wrong location but it should at least be very close since smoke will travel upwards as fast as it can.

Last edited:
"Despite differences of opinion, most people now see the coach as the main reason why the boys survived the ordeal.
It has been revealed that he advised the boys to use flashlights one at a time to make sure they had a light source for as long as possible.
He taught them to drink clean water that seeped through the roof of the cave, not the floodwater, after they had run out of drinking water. He also told the boys not to move a lot, and asked them to meditate to save as much energy as possible.
There is concern that Ekkapon may experience severe guilt pangs and will blame himself for the ordeal and see himself as the cause of the multinational rescue operation.
The second video clip of the group that shot each member one by one showed him looking considerably weaker when compared with his previous photos.
That has raised concerns that the coach might be suffering from feelings of guilt.
Thawatchai Thaikhiew, the deputy permanent secretary for Justice, said he was worried that the coach may consider it his fault and may not forgive himself. This could lead to depression.
“I ask all Thai people to send him moral support for our hero coach Ek. If anyone meets him, please tell him that he is the one whom I would love and hug the most,” he said in his Facebook post."

Trapped in Tham Luang cave: Many worry that coach may blame himself for ordeal

"Despite differences of opinion, most people now see the coach as the main reason why the boys survived the ordeal.
It has been revealed that he advised the boys to use flashlights one at a time to make sure they had a light source for as long as possible.
He taught them to drink clean water that seeped through the roof of the cave, not the floodwater, after they had run out of drinking water. He also told the boys not to move a lot, and asked them to meditate to save as much energy as possible.
There is concern that Ekkapon may experience severe guilt pangs and will blame himself for the ordeal and see himself as the cause of the multinational rescue operation.
The second video clip of the group that shot each member one by one showed him looking considerably weaker when compared with his previous photos.
That has raised concerns that the coach might be suffering from feelings of guilt.
Thawatchai Thaikhiew, the deputy permanent secretary for Justice, said he was worried that the coach may consider it his fault and may not forgive himself. This could lead to depression.
“I ask all Thai people to send him moral support for our hero coach Ek. If anyone meets him, please tell him that he is the one whom I would love and hug the most,” he said in his Facebook post."

Trapped in Tham Luang cave: Many worry that coach may blame himself for ordeal

That is so kind and compassionate!

The coach may have led them down there but it wasn't malicious, he loves those kids and he's kept them alive. Talk of legal action against him makes me cross. It was a horrible accident which he'll probably never forgive himself for, punishment enough. Let's just hope this story has a good ending and they all live happily ever after.

Here is the 10 day weather forecast for Bangkok. It says Friday (today) and Saturday have an 80% chance of thunderstorms. Ugh....
Bangkok, Thailand 10-Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Channel | Weather.com
It supposedly updates every hour. So that can change.
For the record, they are about 700 kilometers away from Bangkok. So, I'm not sure how useful that forecast is for the area around the cave. Weather forecasts for Vientiane, Laos, or Mandalay, Myanmar would probably be more relevant, but even those are pretty far way from the cave.

For the record, they are about 700 kilometers away from Bangkok. So, I'm not sure how useful that forecast is for the area around the cave. Weather forecasts for Vientiane, Laos, or Mandalay, Myanmar would probably be more relevant, but even those are pretty far way from the cave.
Okay when I looked up the cave it said “just north of Bangkok.” 700 km is quite a distance. So what city then would we use?

Shows graphic of path boys will have to take;

ThairathTV on Twitter

Everyone needs to watch this if you haven't already.

As an amateur diver in my past life, I agree with the experts that
coming out now- packaged- is very very risky. But my
concern about waiting for monsoon season to be over in October
is this: Since no one has ridden out the monsoon season in the
cave, how do they know their 'safe area' would not also be flooded
during heavy rains. this is a life and death dilemma.

Absolutely. Also, even if it doesn't flood I don't think there is any chance they survive that long. I also don't think there is any chance they are strong enough to walk/swim/dive out later. If they leave them in there, they die.

I personally don't think a very mild medication is such a bad idea. Keeping calm is key to survival. IMO when it was discussed I assume they mean something mild to calm yet they are fully aware and cognizant.

I think this is still the best option. I understand the risks of reactions but these medications have a low risk of that.

I saw a reference to this earlier that said the boys' O2 levels were
below 15%, but I can't find the details.
I wonder how many 'extra' people are in that area of cave using
up the O2.

Definitely not that low. Maybe 15% below ideal. At 15% oxygen they would not be conscious. 85% is totally believable though.

Thai academic 'expert' says draining the cave is an "Impossible
Mission".
Draining cave water a sisyphean task, says expert - The Nation

I hope they are wrong but I think they are right. If they've really reduced water flow into the cave by 50% maybe there is hope.

It is currently Friday, 3:30 AM in Thailand. The rescue is coming. IMO within the next 24 hrs. Pray Pray Pray that this will go smoother than expected!

I just hope it happens. I see what the person meant who said we would know if the boys will survive by this weekend. Now it makes sense. If they don't get them out now I don't think they will at all.

I'm guessing they would take more than one at a time- IF they
have enough expert divers to assist the boys. I'm picturing 2
divers helping each boy and behind them another 2 divers and another boy and on and on depending on the number of expert divers. Maybe for safety reasons they wouldn't want to stack
more than one boy until the way is clear. Just in case they
have a problem (panic or exhaustion).

Yet how do they know WHEN the way is clear?! They can't see or communicate at all. So does that mean 12 hours per boy for someone to return and confirm the path is clear? OMG.

I'm losing hope now.

mae sai, THAILAND Weather Forecast - Worldwide Weather - Netweather.tv

I have no idea as to its accuracy but this one has the thunderstorms and rain coming in heavily on Saturday night into the early hours of Sunday, drier during Sunday, and then wet again Monday onward.

ETA this is for Mae Sai, Chiang Rai province. And it gives approximate expected rainfall in mm

Last edited:
I hate height. Don't put me on a ladder. Yet I have jumped out a plane twice. I have snorkeled, swam with sharks (nurse) and stingrays. I use to be a life guard in my teen years. I cant even imagine the magnitude of getting these kids out but for FS are you going to leave them in that cave? There is no way in He77 despite what I have done I would dive but if my life depended on it. I would be in Mach 90!!!!!!!!

The coach may have led them down there but it wasn't malicious, he loves those kids and he's kept them alive. Talk of legal action against him makes me cross. It was a horrible accident which he'll probably never forgive himself for, punishment enough. Let's just hope this story has a good ending and they all live happily ever after.

I totally agree.
This was obviously just a bad decision to go there at that time and not realizing how fast water could give them problems.

He was just trying to show them a good time and I am sure he knows by now how bad of a mistake it was. There is no need to add to the tragedy by making it worse on any of the boys.

Lets just bring them home alive so all can be well again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ronjan