The 911 Call

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
beesy said:
cami, I've gone back and forth, but I just keep hearing "can't" or "ain't" and "make it" too. I'm not sure if it's the whole sentence you first thought it was "he's not going to make it, if they don't get here"(right?). I am almost positive Darin would have said "gonna", not "going to". I think he might say "he ain't gonna make it if they dont get here". Has anyone heard Darin say "ain't" in interviews? Or maybe it's "he can't make it if they don't get here". Oh a little note: some Southerners say(me included) "cain't", sounds like paint. And while we're working with accents, didn't Darin's family move to that part of TX or was that Darlie's?

No actually I never heard "he's not going to make it" I have always said I heard "he can't make it if they don't get here" I have always heard the "can't" I have several friends who are sound engineers and producers and I played the wav file for one of them last weekend. He and I both believe there is a tiny bit of distortion on the "make/blake" word due to the slowing down. He is going to take the cd and run it through his equipment and we will see what we get.

It was Darlie's family that moved from Pennsylvania to Texas.

Did you know c&j has moved boards? The Mac discussion on aande is is really heating up.

Dani_T said:
Jeff is one of the most avid Darlie supporters you could run into. He used to post a lot on the board I mentioned before (now defunct) and was at times infuriating to debate with because he just wouldn't back down even when what he was saying was ridiculous.

He even spoke to Darlie in prison. One of the big things for him is that he continually asserted that Darlie got the whole knife in the U-room thing wrong. He even told her to her face that she was mistaken LOL.

So anyway, instead of hearing "threw the knife down" (which is as clear as day) he maintained that she said "ree in the pee"

LOL.

He didn't!!! He actually told Darlie that, LOL. I used to tease him on c&j about how much in love with her he was and him a married man.

LOL, it started with Rachel who believed Darlie said "I see thee in the garage" or something stupid like that, LOL.

cami said:
He didn't!!! He actually told Darlie that, LOL. I used to tease him on c&j about how much in love with her he was and him a married man.

LOL, it started with Rachel who believed Darlie said "I see thee in the garage" or something stupid like that, LOL.

Ya'll crack me up!!! LOL
Go El Jeffe - go!! LOL :slap:

cami said:

I keep forgetting to ask: Did Jeff ever explain what the heck "ree in the pee" meant? Surely he knew that makes no sense whenever or however it's used. I doubt it's used actually. Some sort of slang? :dance:

How's the book, cami?

cami said:
No actually I never heard "he's not going to make it" I have always said I heard "he can't make it if they don't get here" I have always heard the "can't" I have several friends who are sound engineers and producers and I played the wav file for one of them last weekend. He and I both believe there is a tiny bit of distortion on the "make/blake" word due to the slowing down. He is going to take the cd and run it through his equipment and we will see what we get
Ok, after all this discussion I couldn't remember what you'd said. Is there anyway you could send me what he gets? My husband gets the creeps listening to the tape(don't blame him) so I really have nobody to listen to it with. I have a friend who loves true crime too, but limits herself to Dr. Mac discussions. Anyway, I'd like to hear it if I could please

It was Darlie's family that moved from Pennsylvania to Texas.
Ok, thanks, they sure lost whatever Yankee accent they might have had ya'll!
Did you know c&j has moved boards? The Mac discussion on aande is is really heating up

No, didn't know that either! Why? My heart can't take the Dr. Mac case but for so long at a time, but I'll check it out. Did ya'll ever revive the Darlie thread on Court TV?

beesy said:
I keep forgetting to ask: Did Jeff ever explain what the heck "ree in the pee" meant? Surely he knew that makes no sense whenever or however it's used. I doubt it's used actually. Some sort of slang? :dance:

Who on earth knows! He probably lurks around here so maybe he'll explain it to us one day :)

Beesy, I think I finally realize what it is about the "damon, damon, damon" that disturbs me so much. Darlie is trying to hide what she is saying from the 911 operator. Why? On the second "damon" her voice is normal albeit a tad panicked. That brings the whole call into question for me. I am certain now that she placed that call for herself and not to try and save the boys.

cami said:
Beesy, I think I finally realize what it is about the "damon, damon, damon" that disturbs me so much. Darlie is trying to hide what she is saying from the 911 operator. Why? On the second "damon" her voice is normal albeit a tad panicked. That brings the whole call into question for me. I am certain now that she placed that call for herself and not to try and save the boys.
Yes, it sounds like when your kid is acting up at the store and you say "get over here right now" under your breath. You're pissed, but you don't want the entire store to know just HOW pissed you are. She's saying it under her breath, so to speak, more excited than you would be at the store, more intense-sounding, but the same tone. Was she telling Darin that Damon was moving?

beesy said:
Yes, it sounds like when your kid is acting up at the store and you say "get over here right now" under your breath. You're pissed, but you don't want the entire store to know just HOW pissed you are. She's saying it under her breath, so to speak, more excited than you would be at the store, more intense-sounding, but the same tone. Was she telling Darin that Damon was moving?

Yes that's it. This is driving me bananas. If she is saying something to Darin about Damon than that brings Darin's culbability into this right away.

I remember back when this happened the one thing i couldnt understand is how darlie was so concerned with letting the 911 operater know how she touched the " murder weapon ", i remember thinking and trying to put myself in her place and i would be rambling on not making sense and probably would even give thought about messing up evidence if my babies were butchered!!

michelle said:
I remember back when this happened the one thing i couldnt understand is how darlie was so concerned with letting the 911 operater know how she touched the " murder weapon ", i remember thinking and trying to put myself in her place and i would be rambling on not making sense and probably would even give thought about messing up evidence if my babies were butchered!!
I totally agree Michele, thinking about anyone's prints would be the last thing on my mind! It just seemed so contrived, like she was already (that early on) trying to explain away her guilt.

JMO!

I remember one time i had to call 911 for my grandmother whose blood sugar dropped so low she was going into a coma, i ran around the house screaming on the phone with the 911 operator and my husband said he thought he as gonna have to slap me to come me down....so i cant imagine her thinking "oh by the way i think i messed with the print" duh!!

I have been quite interested in this case and have recently been going through the evidence. I normally confine myself to potential miscarriages of justice here in the UK but this case caught my attention recently after reading an article.

I am not going to make a judgement on guilt or innocence as my interest is purely on the fairness/reliability of the trial/evidence, i.e. the safety of the verdict. I have some serious concerns with a lot of the evidence and also have issues with the behaviour of the police and the prosecution. I also have a problem with the importance attached to the absense of grieving/silly string video etc. We all react to things differently and if she'd balled her eyes out for a year after it doesnt mean she was less capable of the killings. Conversely, not reacting in the way some people would expect doesnt make her more likely to be the killer.

However, the one thing that personally sticks in my mind is the 911 tape where shes generally being quite convincing balling and shrieking and hysterical.....all of a sudden at 05:19 she says "...somebody who did it intentionally walked in here and did it Darin..." with such anger in her voice and seemingly towards Darin. Her statement is clearly a response to something Darin (or possibly the police officer, or both) did - either he said something or his body language expressed something. The tone of her voice makes it sound like shes defending an accusation - possibly like "What have you done?", "why the hell did you do this?" or similar and her voice gets progressively more angry and lower in tone, especially the last couple of words and especially the 'Darin'. Doesnt sound like a woman witnessing her two boys dying after being slain by an intruder. Even if she'd snapped and did it herself with totally out of character behaviour, I wouldnt expect a comment like that...seems too calculated to me. For reasons I gave above, this isnt something that I think a court should decide innocence or guilt over, it just bothers me (being a mother).

you cant prove a negative. You can only present what evidence you have and all of that points to her guilt. BTW - jury has stated many times that the tape of her at the gravesites had little impact on their decision . So can we please stop bringing up people grieve differently BS ...........
Its of no consquence, other foresnic evidence says she is the butcher.
There was no evidence Darin was involved. Does that mean he was innocent ? Being innocent and being able to prove guilt arent the same in my book. Just review the blood evidence - it all points to Darlie and no one else but her. The jury thought they had enough evidence to reach a verdict. If it was good enough for them why not you ?
People doubt her guilt not because of any deficit of evidence or the way the trial was handled but simply because it is hard to imagine a mother doing that horriffic act to her own children.

A jury can reach an unsafe conviction (note I use the term 'unsafe' not wrong). I can quote you numerous examples from the UK, where majority/unanimous jury convictions have been overturned, I am sure there are lots of examples in the US too.

I am not saying Darlie Routier is innocent (not reaching a judgement, not my place). However, if she is guilty, I would prefer her conviction to be based on a more credible evidence base than it appears to me. Where there are questions over the evidence, and no matter what you say there are (- otherwise there wouldnt be forums like these and TV shows all over the place) the risk is that a guilty person will get off on appeal, which cant be right. What I am saying is, if prosecutors did a better job in these cases, this unpalatable result is less likely. Police etc are put under enormous pressure with high profile cases to get a quick result.

There are though, examples of so called mother child killers who are innocent. Darlie Routier is an extreme case but there have been women in the UK jailed for murder of their children like Sally Clark http://www.sallyclark.org.uk , whose convictions have been overturned on discredited evidence. Sally Clark was originally found guilty of smothering two of her children but the medical evidence was discredited (with the expert Dr being struck of the medical register). If we had the death penalty here, she may have been dead before we established she was innocent.

I am trying to engage in a rational debate here but feel a bit of hostility as I may be perceived as a Darlie supporter. I just want the public to have confidence in the CJS and safe convictions.

Anyway, the point I raised that 'bothered me' in the 911 tape shows that I personally do find Darlies behaviour difficult. I am not sure you got as far as reading this bit.

Britlaw said:
A jury can reach an unsafe conviction (note I use the term 'unsafe' not wrong). I can quote you numerous examples from the UK, where majority/unanimous jury convictions have been overturned, I am sure there are lots of examples in the US too.
That there are.

Britlaw said:
I am not saying Darlie Routier is innocent (not reaching a judgement, not my place). However, if she is guilty, I would prefer her conviction to be based on a more credible evidence base than it appears to me. Where there are questions over the evidence, and no matter what you say there are (- otherwise there wouldnt be forums like these and TV shows all over the place) the risk is that a guilty person will get off on appeal, which cant be right.
I don't understand your meaning here. Are you saying that if a defendant has a lot of public support, they are more likely to get off on appeal? If you are, I have to disagree with you. Public sentiment has nothing to do with why one gets a conviction overturned on appeal. It has everything to do with the technicalities and details of the case as they apply to our laws though. So the fact that peopl discuss a case has no great impact on the opinions of our appellate judges.

Britlaw said:
What I am saying is, if prosecutors did a better job in these cases, this unpalatable result is less likely. Police etc are put under enormous pressure with high profile cases to get a quick result.
I agree that the state could always do a better job but I still don't understand how that has any great impact on Darlie's case. Could you elaborate please.

Britlaw said:
There are though, examples of so called mother child killers who are innocent. Darlie Routier is an extreme case but there have been women in the UK jailed for murder of their children like Sally Clark http://www.sallyclark.org.uk , whose convictions have been overturned on discredited evidence. Sally Clark was originally found guilty of smothering two of her children but the medical evidence was discredited (with the expert Dr being struck of the medical register). If we had the death penalty here, she may have been dead before we established she was innocent.
That might be a worry in Texas, but not in my state. We take so long to execute someone here that the death penalty will probably be outlawed again before we get around to #2. #1 was executed 6 years ago!

Besides, most Moms who kill their kids don't get the death penalty in the states. Darlie did because she she chose to take her chances in court instead of pleading down the charges. She had mitigating circumstances. She just didn't take advantage of them.

Britlaw said:
I am trying to engage in a rational debate here but feel a bit of hostility as I may be perceived as a Darlie supporter. I just want the public to have confidence in the CJS and safe convictions.
We don't have any Darlie supporters here, so if you were one, we should welcome you with open arms. So I will look forward to your rational debate without prejudice.

Britlaw said:
Anyway, the point I raised that 'bothered me' in the 911 tape shows that I personally do find Darlies behaviour difficult. I am not sure you got as far as reading this bit.
I am not the one you posted this to, but I did get your observation on the 911 call. I agree with you. With only exception....she is not crying. She has the hysteria down pretty good but she is screaming, not sobbing, and she is not focused on helping her kids. Instead she seems to be trying to control everything going on around her except the kids. I think most moms in that position would be just the opposite. But even if you overlook that, you have to deal with why she chose to sit on the kitchen floor when only 3 or 4 feet away little Damon lay bleeding to death. Why didn't she plop her butt down there, hold him in her arms or just pet his head while she comforted him and reassured him that all would be okay? Instead she says several times that the poor kid is dying without any consideration for how those words would effect him. It seems pretty darned cold and insensitive to me.

I would like to know what evidence you have a problem with in this case though. I spent a long time trying to prove her innocence and failed so I do know a lot of the evidence pretty well.

BTW, thanks for the link to the UK case. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the appellate decision. We aren't all that different. There simply was not enough compelling evidence in that case. I think the courts made the right decision to overturn the conviction. However, there was a lot of compelling evidence against Darlie, and enough of a physical nature to be convincing. That is why I don't understand what you are questioning in this case.

Britlaw said:

BRITLAW : I did in fact read and comphrend your entire posts. I just dont see how your concern applies to Darlie. I do not intend to be hostile
at all. The blood and other evidence so clearly to me tells the story of what happened, where it happened and by whom. There is alot of discussion because the story by Darlie is so outrageously abnormal and in conflict with the evidence. The appeals will run their course but Darlie will go to the chamber. There is no issue that will get her a new trial or
overturn her conviction. I believe you can take that to the bank.

I also noticed and posted lately about the way that Darlie said "someone came in here and intentionally did this Darin". Yes, the way she said "Darin" was really creepy. I think the jurors said that they weren't really swayed by the stilly string episode. I thought it was an odd thing to do by the entire family not just Darlie, but not showing guilt necessarily.

Thank you all for participating in the discussion. I guess I'll start with two things about the case that bother me in terms of credibility of evidence. First is the sloppy police investigation. I am an ex police officer and know how hard it is at a crime scene to worry about preservation of evidence when there is carnage about you but you have to and I have had relatives regard me as insensitive at a crime scene but they have a different attitude when a conviction is secured. After the chaos, I find it hard to reason why they were not more methodical about the investigation & collection of evidence. For e.g. putting multiple items of bloodied clothing/textiles might not interfere with blood patterns but its difficult to prove conclusively that it didnt and therefore causes lingering doubt. I think a conclusion was arrived at very early, which is okay so long as you keep the investigation open to all possibilities.

Question here: I read somewhere that a knife and a screwdriver were seen near the sock but not collected - is this fiction?

The other thing is the so called 'mock trials' held for witnesses. I am now a lawyer and find this practice difficult. This article in the UK Times http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1840192,00.html details the issues but its about drawing a line between preparing a witness for the trial 'ordeal' and coaching them on what to actually say. Again, the risk is that perfectly credible evidence is able to be discredited and thus create the doubt.

The more defendents/convicted are able to cry foul the more people will do it and thus the greater the risk to the CJS. To clear up an earlier point, I am not talking about public support here, I am talking about the ability to question the credibility or validity of evidence.

Another question - Who is behind the Justicefordarlie website?

Last question - I am interested in what the public criminal legal aid system is in the US. We have a good national scheme in the UK which is very good but costs the country a fortune.

For those that have been interested in criminal trials generally, you might find this one interesting. We refer to it here as the Essex Boys killings, where 3 hardened criminal were assassinated down a country lane in the UK. 2 similarly hardened criminals were found guilty but still profess their innocence 10 years later. Their conviction was based soley on the evidence of an accomplice who turned supergrass and testified against them. Before testifying, he signed a film and book contract but the jury were unaware of this. Obviously there could only actually have been a book/film if the 2 were found guilty, so there was a motive for his testimony. He also, although admitting he drove the car, insisted he had no knowledge of what the other 2 were going to do, so he was also trying to mitigate his position (drug dealing was also an element). He got a minor conviction, a short sentence and now lives a new life under the witness protection programme. This website contains a lot of material (its the site of another criminal of this gang), including graphic crime scene photos, you are warned! http://www.bernardomahoney.com/rrmurders/main.shtml The convicted had their case referred to the Criminal Cases Review Commission who spent a couple of years investigating the case - including having another police force investigate parts of the original investigation. The CCRC refered the matter to the Court of Appeal (which means they think they have a point) but the appeal was dismissed a few weeks ago.

Sorry if I have rambled off the topic!!

I dont think the investigation was sloppy at all. I believe the first officer at the scene knew one or both of the parents were responsible. No evidence of an intruder, gate closed, knife from the house etc etc.
I believe defense SPIN was put on concerning evidence put together and evidence not collected. They have to argue something dont they ? Just because they say so doesnt make it true or correct.
Police are always screwing up convicting these poor innocent victims just ask Scott Petersen or Jeff Macdonald or Diane Downs. They just went after them as LE was too lazy to find the real big dark bushy haired strangers who are really guilty.

I agree its a sticky wicket for witnesses isnt it ? A line between preparing and coaching . Was that crossed ? I dont think so. Pro's knew they had a solid case and conviction was a good bet.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahburhouse
Back