The 911 Call

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
HeartofTexas said:
I realize by now that I'm actually talking to myself but could it be, "get a blanket and come in here?"

Hey :)

No- it's not as structured as that and the 'bl' word is much shorter. I can email you the sound clips if you want so you can listen yourself. Just PM me your email address if you would like them.

Goody said:
At one point, Darin does say "he's not gonna make it". I can hear that without any fancy analysis.

Do you know what point Goody? Time stamp?

cami said:
Yes I do believe she is saying "fighting him" but it comes out "fightin im" with her accent. What I meant was if you think, not you in particular but everyone, that she is saying "I woke up, I was frightened" I don't hear an "ed" sound so I don't think she says "frightened" and certainly "frightening" is the wrong context. But of course as I've said before, I look pretty "frightening" when I first wake up, LOL. I don't believe Darlie ever went to sleep that night.

Yep, Cami, that word definitely ends in "ing" and that's why Darlie and her dream team had to come up with a word that ended in "ing"...voila! "Frightening".

As ridiculous as it sounds, they had no choice. None of the evidence supported fighting an intruder, plus she later said she couldn't remember a fight or a struggle, directly contradicting what she told everyone immediately after the murders.

Even if they could have gotten away with "frightened", how many mothers would use such a pansy word while they're watching their two sons bleed to death? How about "I was scared!" or "I was scared to death!" or "I was scared sh##less"!? Much more appropriate words under the circumstances, lol!

I agree, she never went to sleep that night. If she did, she forgot to take off her mascara, because Wielgosz said she had racing stripes down her cheeks.

Dani_T said:
Well that makes it even harder to imagine really. What is the likelyhood of having two individuals marrying, neither with personality disorders, who would quite happily discuss and carry out the murder of their children and then cover for each other? .
How likely would it be that aspiring entertainers would move to Nashville, New York, or Los Angeles and supplement their incomes via robbery and murder as they try to make it in the music business? A decade ago I would have scoffes at such an idea. I am telling you that we live in violent times. People sell each other out for much less than most of us would guess. Plus when you start mixing "living large" and drugs like cocaine, I think people's values become very distorted, esp when they feel desperate to hold onto what they have. How does a school teacher bring conversation around to murder when trying to manipulate her students into doing the killing? How does anyone who isn't a do some of the horrible things they do?

Maybe I should look up more info on personality disorders, but I don't think there is much advantage in assuming they would have to have personality disorders to commit such a crime. I think in the absence of an obvious motive, we should look at various possibilites if for no other reason than to see how it might fit into the evidence we have. I mean,there has to be a motive,whether it is known or not. If we knew the motive, the events of that night would probably make more sense, even if the motive doesn't justify murder. (Most motives don't).

My point is, I guess, it is not so much that think they did do this as I think it is a possibility. Don't worry. I have a Darin is innocent theory, too, but it doesn't explain any of the things he did in the days following murders, which leave me scratching my head in confusion, and I have a Darlie just lost it theory, but that leaves great big blacked out spaces and more questions about how Darin could turn on that dime.

Bottom line, as it pretains to this discussion now, I can ALMOST see them stepping across the line and discussing at the very least what life would be like without the two boys, that they made a mistake having such a large family, that they deserve more in life than what most people end up with....dead end jobs living from paycheck to paycheck, giving up all their dreams so they could support a bunch a kids......something I can't imagine them ever settling for, not even if life dished out a no choice trap for them. On top of that you have two people who seem to place most of their value on superficial things and so little on the important things in life like family, love, etc. I do think that was a driving force for them in what happened. I am just know sure about the details involved.

Dani_T said:
He said he did not see Damon when he came down. The first person he saw was Devon and he thought it was just Devon who had been hurt. Even if he is trying to revive Devon and realises Damon is hurt- he is not alone there. He is yelling at Darlie to help. I don't think any parent in those circumstances can just decide it is too late to save one of their children and give up doing CPR. He also does say he checked on Damon but again his changing stories makes it hard to know what he did and did not do..
Exactly. So why don't you look at it as if he said nothing at all about what he was thinking and just weigh his actions and what you can hear on the 911 tape?

Dani_T said:
Wasn't he waiting for Terry?.
So where was Terry and why was he gone for 30 minutes?

Dani_T said:
GOODY: Because he left his dying children, if you believe him, to go after a nurse who was not needed. By the time they got across the street, Damon's ambulance had left and Darlie's was about to be put in an ambulance to leave. The only reason Karen was ever allowed in the house was to get the dog off the stairway so police wouldn't have to deal with him. She never participated in any first aid efforts. In fact, when they let her into the house, there was no one left there to give first aid to.
DANI: I honestly think you are looking at his actions very critically. If you were him, had three members of your family who needed urgent attention and only two paramedics would you honestly think your nurse neighbour was not needed?.[/QUOTE]
There were two ambulances and two two member teams of paramedics. They just couldn't fit all of them into the family room where the bodies were because of the condensed area and the policemen who were already inside. Darin had to step out of the area to let the paramedic in to see about Devon because there was not room for both of them there.

Dani_T said:
I don't think Damon's ambulance had left. I think they triaged him for some time in the abulance before leaving and Darlie had only just arrived out on the front porch. Koschak spent only a very short period of time (probably no more than a minute, max two) triaging Devon before moving to Darlie and he moved Darlie out of the house straight away. That means that Darin had to have left the house pretty soon after the paramedics arrived (probably only a minute or so later). There was clearly still a need for medical help. And don't forget that he had been trying to go and get Karen earlier as well when Waddell arrived- so he was in that same frame of mind. He wanted as many trained people there helping his family as possible..
I believe the testimony was that Damon ambulance pulled away as they arrived at the porch or shortly after their arrival. Darlie was bandaged quickly and placed on the ambulance, which left pretty quickly.

Dani_T said:
And Karen wasn't simply let in to get the dog. They let her in because she was a nurse:.
Your quote is Karen's testimony, I think. Not the most credible of all those who testified if you ask me. And the section they were discussing was only to let her gain access to the porch. All she did was stand there and watch the paramedic bandage Darlie's neck wound. She was not allowed into the house until the police asked her to get the dog.

Dani_T said:
No, he isn't dating in the public eye. For all we know he could be seeing someone else. He has been very quiet for years. Just because we don't know about it doesn't mean it is happening. And after that kind of tragedy not everyone is necessarily going to want to be in another relationship. Sure, a lot of people do. But it doesn't necessarily follow that because we haven't heard that he has shacked up with someone that he is terrified of Darlie..
I didn't say he was terrified of Darlie. I only said that he wouldn't want to rock the boat if she could tell anything that would get him thrown into prison with her. The longer her can placate her, the better for him. Unless, of course, there is nothing she could tell about his part in the crime. In that case, he should feel pretty free to go on with his life. He just hasn't done it for some reason. If he were dating, I think we would hear about it. Texas media would be interested in that story even if the national media was not,
Dani_T said:
Yeah he lied to cover up for her- but again just because he hasn't made a media release about covering for her doesn't mean he still is or will. for all we know he might be more than ready to roll on her should the DA approach him about it..
I agree, and we may very well see that. They seem to be circling their designated positions in preparation for battle, but that may be just my take on what little I have heard the two of them say recently. Darin, in particular, seems to be more cautious in recent years. I sure would like to know what Darlie meant when she said she wasn't sure of him anymore.

Dani_T said:
You simply can't know that Goody. If he actually believed her innocent for all those years (and who knows- maybe he still does... he had good reason NOT to believe she was guilty) then he had no reason to hate her. We haven't heard from him in years. He wasn't at the big rally last year. He hasn't made any public declarations of support. Perhaps he has in recent years come to the realisation she is guilty (maybe after she sicked Pardo on him and after her little comments casting doubt on his involvement). The DA may have him firmly in hand ready to whip him out should they need to. He also has the small matter of perjury to contend with should he backtrack..
Are you forgetting he has signed an affidavit for her appeals? He implicated himself, although vaguely, in both of those statements. That is hardly a pro-prosecution stance. I doubt very seriously if Darin has any private deals going with the state. He actually does hate them...or maybe strongly dislikes is a better term. And I can tell that he has not demonstrated any of the symptoms for the stages of grief. The most I can say for Darin is that in the days immediately following the crime, he had moments where he stared off in space as he spoke. If either of them regretted the crime, my money would be on him. Darlie stared off in space a little, too, but not like Darin. I felt that he really did feel regret during some of those interviews. But I didn't see denial, anger, etc at any time, and I have never heard anyone who knew him ever describe those symptoms either. So there is no evidence at all that he experienced them.

Dani_T said:
Again- how do you know this? You are presuming it from a two second grab of an interview after the silly string party where he basically says nothing anyway and what else? How do you know he wasn't angry? In denial? We DO know he was on anti-depressants. But we can't presume to know his emotional state during the weeks, months and years after it based on a couple of short interviews. .
They give everyone anti-depressants after a crime like that, and only those suspected of involvement say we shouldn't judge them by what we see. Sorry,but David Smith and Rusty Yates and more recently Mark Lunsford left no doubt in the few seconds of TV time they got. To say, O, you can't tell because he might have been going through those things behind closed doors is not evidence that supports the theory that he did. The fact that we haven't seen him go through these stages isn't proof positive but it is supporting evidence that he didn't. As Thomas Martin of the NT State police said the other day, "Absence of blood is sometimes just as significant as blood." So I say absence of symptoms is sometimes just as significant as witnessing the symptoms in progress.

Dani_T said:
I like Nabors but I would want to hear it from the horses mouth. From the beginning of this case I personally have tried to only deal in the recorded testimony and evidence. And again, in any case, people do say strange things when they are in shock.
Maybe Cami can find it in her video collection. I think it was the old TLC show, Medical Detectives, but am not positived. You know, there are probably many, many statements the Routiers made to police that were not brought out at trial or documented anywhere. That happens in every case. They can't testify to each and every one of them.

[/quote]Exactly. So why don't you look at it as if he said nothing at all about what he was thinking and just weigh his actions and what you can hear on the 911 tape? [/quote]

I have. I don't take anything Darin says he did or thought as gospel because he has proven himself untrustworthy. Everything I hear on the 911 tape from him is about getting somebody in there to help him. I don't hear anything incriminating from him at all. As for his actions- if he believed Damon was still alive (as Darlie led him to believe during the 911 call) I can see why he didn't move him or give him CPR (because obviously you don't revive someone who is not dead). If he had one dead son and one sone alove (even if barely) I can see why he would spend the bulk (if not all) of his time with the one who is dead by desperately trying to revive him- especially when he had his wife to presumably render aid to Damon.

So where was Terry and why was he gone for 30 minutes?
Where do you get the 30 mins from.

According to Darin they had to wait until one of the paramedics told them which hospital they needed to go to. They were originally told two different ones.

There were two ambulances and two two member teams of paramedics. They just couldn't fit all of them into the family room where the bodies were because of the condensed area and the policemen who were already inside. Darin had to step out of the area to let the paramedic in to see about Devon because there was not room for both of them there.

No that's not right. Here is the chronology according to the testimony of the paramedics

- Kolby and Koschak arrive around 5-6 mins from the start of the 911 call and get the all clear from Walling to go in.

- Koschak got on the radio to call for more help (because Walling tells him to) and Kolby headed into the house. Koschak was not very far behind.
Kolby gets in their first and goes to Damon and is with him in the house for around 2 minutes during which time Damon breathed for the last time.

- Koschak gets in and sees Kolbye with Damon. He looks over and sees Darin walking towards the entry to the room.

- Kolby took Damon out to the ambulance and soon after that the engine company arrived and paramedic Coleman came and helped him. They worked on him for around 15 minutes before leaving for the hospital.

- Koschak triaged Devon, saw that he had died and went over to Darlie and pretty much took her out to the porch straight away.

- Whilst Koschak is attending to Darlie Paramedic Byford came up onto the porch and and helped him.

- Byford and Zimmerman in the 2nd ambulance arrived after Darlie had been brought out onto the porch and Damon taken to the ambulance.

- When they arrived on scene the engine company had already arrived (including Coleman who helped Kolbye).
- Byford entered the house briefly and came back out to help Koschak.

There were only ever two paramedics in the house when Darin was in there rendering any aid and he was already moving out of the area when Koschak came into the house.

I believe the testimony was that Damon ambulance pulled away as they arrived at the porch or shortly after their arrival. Darlie was bandaged quickly and placed on the ambulance, which left pretty quickly.
Damon's ambulance was there for around 15 mins according to Kolbye. In fact according to the times in their testimonies it looks like Darlie left first. Koschak said he only spent 7-8 minutes with her all up before the ambulance left.

Your quote is Karen's testimony, I think. Not the most credible of all those who testified if you ask me. And the section they were discussing was only to let her gain access to the porch. All she did was stand there and watch the paramedic bandage Darlie's neck wound. She was not allowed into the house until the police asked her to get the dog.

24 Q. Okay. And did you, after seeing
25 Darlie there in the doorway, did you later on have
1 occasion to go into the Routier home?
2 A. Yes, sir, I did.
3 Q. Okay. And will you tell the jury what
4 you found when you went into the home?
5 A. As I walked into the home, I
6 approached the entrance way between the kitchen and the
7 living area, and I saw Devon laying on his back with a
8 blanket covering the -- most part of his body with only a
9 fraction of his right eye that I could see.
10 Q. Okay. Ms. Neal, was there anyone in
11 attendance to Devon at that time?
12 A. No, sir.
13 Q. Okay. Was there anyone else in the
14 house that you saw at that time?
15 A. No, sir.
16 Q. Okay. Did you subsequently leave, and
17 go back outside?
18 A. Yes, sir, I did.
19 Q. Okay. Now, later on that -- or early
20 morning, did you have occasion to enter the house and
21 retrieve a little dog?
22 A. Yes, sir.

She clearly says she went into the house whilst Darlie was on the porch. Koschak says that he never saw Karen which means she couldn't have been standing too close watching Darlie.

There may be doubts about the reliability of her testimony but I don't see what reason she has to lie about having entered the house.

Unless, of course, there is nothing she could tell about his part in the crime. In that case, he should feel pretty free to go on with his life. He just hasn't done it for some reason.

Well after hearing that interview where she hesitated over saying she didn't think he had anything to do with it, and after having Pardo after him I think he would be walking on egg shells around her. He knows there is doubts about his innocence. He would also know that if Darlie did kill the kids and is still denying it she is not going to have any qualms about trying to sic the blame on him by making up anything she wanted. If he is 'scared' or anxious about her it doesn't necessarily have to be because she has stuff on him but because she would very well turn on him and make it all up- after all she made everything else up.

If he were dating, I think we would hear about it. Texas media would be interested in that story even if the national media was not
They have to know about it first and it looks like Darin is keeping as low a profile as ever. He may not even still be in Texas.

Are you forgetting he has signed an affidavit for her appeals? He implicated himself, although vaguely, in both of those statements. That is hardly a pro-prosecution stance.

Yes but so has, for eg. Linch who was a prosecution witness. Just because Darin signed an affidavit doesn't mean he wanted to.

And I can tell that he has not demonstrated any of the symptoms for the stages of grief. The most I can say for Darin is that in the days immediately following the crime, he had moments where he stared off in space as he spoke.

How do you know this Goody? You weren't there. Seeing a few interviews on Tv doesn't mean we can know how they both reacted all the time (which is why I have never put a huge amount of weight on the silly string video). Darin may

But I didn't see denial, anger, etc at any time, and I have never heard anyone who knew him ever describe those symptoms either. So there is no evidence at all that he experienced them.

Honestly Goody I think this is way too presumptions. You simply were not there. You saw a couple of minutes of TV footage (most of which you are pulling from memory anyway) in the days preceeding the murders and you say that you can confidently say that Darin showed now signs of grief.

Besides which, you are putting a timetable on the grieving period. Some people remain in shock and a state of numbness for weeks before they move onto a new stage. In fact for most people I doubt that it happens very quickly at all anyway.

To say, O, you can't tell because he might have been going through those things behind closed doors is not evidence that supports the theory that he did.

And your few minutes of evaluation of his character does not support the evidence that he did not.

Wow ;) first time you and I have quite distinctly disagreed about the case ;)

HeartofTexas said:
I realize by now that I'm actually talking to myself but could it be, "get a blanket and come in here?"

OMG, Texas that's what I first thought he was saying. "get the blanket and get in here" There were blankets down there that the children were sleeping on I believe. Although the "ake" sound is pretty prominent as well so I discounted the word blanket.

Maybe Cami can find it in her video collection. I think it was the old TLC show, Medical Detectives, but am not positived. You know, there are probably many, many statements the Routiers made to police that were not brought out at trial or documented anywhere. That happens in every case. They can't testify to each and every one of them.

I wish I did! I taped over it years ago and they have removed that Medical Detectives program from Canadian tv. The last time II was played was on Christmas Eve and I didn't have a vcr then, alas. I keep checking Forensics Files on CTV in the morning to see if they will play it but no luck so far. If they rebroadcast it, I will tape it as someone here wants a copy but I forget who it was, LOL.

However, memory serves that it was Nabors but I don't remember what he said.

Cami, glad to know someone else thought "blanket" could be considered. While it's probably not what Darin said, many people pronounce blanket without the "n" being all that audible and that would be more probable during duress, when words are probably slurred.

And yes, the Routiers were on TV many, many times in the early days of the case. Far too many. One only needed observe them for any time at all to get a really weird feeling that something wasn't right. Sadly, I don't remember too much about Darin at the time but I will always remember Darlie and how each interview seemed oddly twisted in her mind like a potential Hollywood audition for some future starring role. Never did I get the feeling that her boys were on her mind when the cameras were rolling. While the silly string footage was obviously the worst of all, there were many others where she just smiled and was almost coquet-ish in her demeanor. Actions before a TV camera won't hold up in Court but they sure helped me form an opinion rather quickly. And, as odd as this opinion might seem to others, I knew immediately that something was very wrong when she "slept" through her boys being brutally attacked but could no longer sleep upstairs with Drake in the room because just the sound of him rolling over in bed would wake her up. Excuse me! Two boys brutally attacked just feet from her and she can't hear a thing? Or better yet, according to which story of her's you believe, she darn near slept thru the assailant slitting her throat.

HeartofTexas said:
Cami, glad to know someone else thought "blanket" could be considered. While it's probably not what Darin said, many people pronounce blanket without the "n" being all that audible and that would be more probable during duress, when words are probably slurred.

And yes, the Routiers were on TV many, many times in the early days of the case. Far too many. One only needed observe them for any time at all to get a really weird feeling that something wasn't right. Sadly, I don't remember too much about Darin at the time but I will always remember Darlie and how each interview seemed oddly twisted in her mind like a potential Hollywood audition for some future starring role. Never did I get the feeling that her boys were on her mind when the cameras were rolling. While the silly string footage was obviously the worst of all, there were many others where she just smiled and was almost coquet-ish in her demeanor. Actions before a TV camera won't hold up in Court but they sure helped me form an opinion rather quickly. And, as odd as this opinion might seem to others, I knew immediately that something was very wrong when she "slept" through her boys being brutally attacked but could no longer sleep upstairs with Drake in the room because just the sound of him rolling over in bed would wake her up. Excuse me! Two boys brutally attacked just feet from her and she can't hear a thing? Or better yet, according to which story of her's you believe, she darn near slept thru the assailant slitting her throat.

Yeah, that's why she had to invent the traumatic amnesia. No one believes she slept through that attack, LOL. Stupid of her to even put that out there. Especially when it was most likely those diet pills that kept her awake. It was the first ____ in the story I guess you could call it that made me take a second look. (what's the word I am looking for, gosh I hate this getting up there in age, that word should be right there without my having to think)

Of course her supporters will say she was so exhausted from being kept awake by Drake that she slept through it.

I've only seen her on the two television programs, 48 hours and the aande program and of course the silly string tape.

I wish I could say those were the only 2 times I saw her on TV. I'm sure that's why here in the Dallas area she was "tried in the media". I guess you have to assume that anyone who thinks *advertiser censored* the size of melons are worth buying would do almost anything to gain attention... and that's what she always seemed to do. It was like this huge spotlight was shining on her and she would light up like a Christmas tree. Many of us, however, were sitting bug-eyed in front of our TV's wondering where the normal reaction to losing two children was. And no matter how much she wants to elaborate on how severe her neck injury was, I can tell you that it never seemed to interfere with her chomping and chewing like a maniac on what looked to be several large wads of gum.

What's the word you're looking for??? Hinky, chink?? Don't worry if I'm wrong on that... I'm getting up in age, too!

cami said:
Yeah, that's why she had to invent the traumatic amnesia. No one believes she slept through that attack, LOL. Stupid of her to even put that out there. Especially when it was most likely those diet pills that kept her awake. It was the first ____ in the story I guess you could call it that made me take a second look. (what's the word I am looking for, gosh I hate this getting up there in age, that word should be right there without my having to think)

Of course her supporters will say she was so exhausted from being kept awake by Drake that she slept through it.

I've only seen her on the two television programs, 48 hours and the aande program and of course the silly string tape.
Kink?

HeartofTexas said:
Your take on Darlie's actions following the murders is very close to mine, and I wasn't even there. But when you read or hear people talk about their aspirations, what they thought was important,etc, it always comes back to money, in one form or another, and it seems so out of its element when attaching it the brutal murder of children. It is hard to just blow if off as unimportant or not likely. I have a hard time seeing either one of them as "normal." I think they were both so materialistic that they just might do the unexpected. Besides when people get immersed in circumstances that lead them to murder, they often become so lost in an alternate reality that what doesn;t make sense to most makes prefect sense to them.

HeartofTexas said:
I wish I could say those were the only 2 times I saw her on TV. I'm sure that's why here in the Dallas area she was "tried in the media". I guess you have to assume that anyone who thinks *advertiser censored* the size of melons are worth buying would do almost anything to gain attention... and that's what she always seemed to do. It was like this huge spotlight was shining on her and she would light up like a Christmas tree. Many of us, however, were sitting bug-eyed in front of our TV's wondering where the normal reaction to losing two children was. And no matter how much she wants to elaborate on how severe her neck injury was, I can tell you that it never seemed to interfere with her chomping and chewing like a maniac on what looked to be several large wads of gum.

What's the word you're looking for??? Hinky, chink?? Don't worry if I'm wrong on that... I'm getting up in age, too!

Yeah hinky that's a good one, LOL. I think the silly string tape tells me all I need to know about Darlie and her craving the spotlight and her inappropriate behaviour at it. She just doesn't get it, she doesn't think like us obviously. That she couldn't tell that most of us normal parents would be appalled and disgusted by her actions. I call that SST her Histrionic Personality disorder at work. Regardless of the trouble it gets her into, she will continue to swing that big spotlight of publicity on herself. Look at her posing photos on that website, says it all.

cami said:

I am sure everyone knows about this site, but I watched about 5 media interviews yesterday on Darlie's guilt/trial. The American Justice was my favorite. I am not sure, but I think this site was taken down for a bit, and reinstated. It is a good info site.

http://www.justicefordarlie.net/media.php

Blessings..Cassata

Cassata11 said:
I am sure everyone knows about this site, but I watched about 5 media interviews yesterday on Darlie's guilt/trial. The American Justice was my favorite. I am not sure, but I think this site was taken down for a bit, and reinstated. It is a good info site.

Blessings..Cassata

Just wanted to welcome you to Websleuths!!!!!

Jeana (DP) said:
Just wanted to welcome you to Websleuths!!!!!
Thank you!

So much reading to do still!!

Nice to see people discussing and debating!!

Have a great nighT!

Cassata

Cassata11 said:

Blessings..Cassata

Yes thanks, my only problem is I have no sound on the computer so I can't watch em. although I've seen them all before.

Welcome

HeartofTexas said:

Actually, after playing the cd this past weekend, I am back to believing that Darin says "he can't make it." Both of us (a friend) hear Darin say the word "can't" before the "make it" or "blake" whatever it is.

cami said:
Actually, after playing the cd this past weekend, I am back to believing that Darin says "he can't make it." Both of us (a friend) hear Darin say the word "can't" before the "make it" or "blake" whatever it is.
cami, I've gone back and forth, but I just keep hearing "can't" or "ain't" and "make it" too. I'm not sure if it's the whole sentence you first thought it was "he's not going to make it, if they don't get here"(right?). I am almost positive Darin would have said "gonna", not "going to". I think he might say "he ain't gonna make it if they dont get here". Has anyone heard Darin say "ain't" in interviews? Or maybe it's "he can't make it if they don't get here". Oh a little note: some Southerners say(me included) "cain't", sounds like paint. And while we're working with accents, didn't Darin's family move to that part of TX or was that Darlie's?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back