The British Royal Family #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that "The Crown" is going to have a rough go with how to accurately portray Princess Diana. She wasn't perfect, but she had incredible presence. My opinion is that she was never treated well by Prince Charles.

I think that "The Crown" is going to have a rough go with how to accurately portray Princess Diana. She wasn't perfect, but she had incredible presence. My opinion is that she was never treated well by Prince Charles.

Lady Diana was a true aristocrat who dedicated her life to service to the Crown and humanitarian causes. It's unfortunate that she died at the hands of a drunk driver at the age of 36.

Agree.
This is a family in real time, not a historical biography.

Will they show Charles and Camilla's adulterous affair that was going on before, during and after Charles marriage to Diana? Or have the famous conspiratorial epitaph Camilla and Charles bestowed on Diana before Charles married Diana of her being "gormless?"
I would think it all better left alone.
Was this play, like a the play from Hamlet always the point of the Queen's permission to do this series?

Lady Diana was a true aristocrat who dedicated her life to service to the Crown and humanitarian causes. It's unfortunate that she died at the hands of a drunk driver at the age of 36.

To be fair we don’t know what damage she could have done and what mischief she could have got up to, if she’d lived!!

I’d like to think she would also have been happily remarried and a very glamorous granny. And that she and Charles and their partners would have worked things out amicably.

We have the couple denying that they contributed to the book, and the authors contradicting them. That certainly undermines the credibility of Harry and his wife.

"A spokesman for the Sussexes, who now live in California, said they had not been interviewed for the book.

A statement said: "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were not interviewed and did not contribute to Finding Freedom.

"This book is based on the authors' own experiences as members of the royal press corps and their own independent reporting."
Sussexes 'did not contribute' to book on royals

"We have spoken to close friends of Harry and Meghan, royal aides and palace staff (past and present), the charities and organisations they have built long-lasting relationships with and, when appropriate, the couple themselves."​

Meg faces court quiz over 'one-sided' bio after authors claim she WAS a source
oh dear, I wonder if the authors recorded their source interviews??

oh dear, I wonder if the authors recorded their source interviews??

While Harry and his wife deny they were involved in the book, the authors say otherwise.

In the "Authors Note" (p.273) of Finding Freedom and Making of a Modern Royal Family:

"We have spoken with close friends of Harry and Meghan, royal aides and palace staff (past and present), the charities and organizations they have built long-lasting relationships with and, when appropriate, the couple themselves."
It seems likely that the authors recorded interviews with the contributors to the journal, especially since everyone was on the record for the juicy details.

To be fair we don’t know what damage she could have done and what mischief she could have got up to, if she’d lived!!

I’d like to think she would also have been happily remarried and a very glamorous granny. And that she and Charles and their partners would have worked things out amicably.
"Mischief "? She had her issues but she respected the Queen. Yes, she made a mistake, her tv interview, but she owned it and moved on positively . She had much respect for the crown compared to present day drama H and M. MOO

Last edited:
"Mischief "? She had her issues but she respected the Queen. Yes, she made a mistake, her tv interview, but she owned it and moved on positively . She had much respect for the crown conpared to present day drama. MOO
Interesting, I never saw that interview as a mistake. I thought it was brave and heart wrenchingly honest.

To this day, "there were three of us in the marriage" is an iconic phrase here.

Interesting, I never saw that interview as a mistake. I thought it was brave and heart wrenchingly honest.

Lady Diana was well aware of Camilla prior to the wedding, and went ahead with it anyway.

"In the book “The Duchess: The Untold Story,” royal author Penny Junor said that the Princess of Wales told her sisters the day before her royal wedding to Prince Charles that she doesn’t want to push through with their nuptials. At that time, Princess Diana already knew that Prince Charles was having an affair with Camilla Parker Bowles."
Why Princess Diana’s Sisters May Be Blamed For Her, Prince Charles’ Failed Marriage

I agree. Why was it a “mistake” ?

There is a certain irony in professing to respect the Queen, then relentlessly slagging off members of her family day after day on a public forum. No better than the gutter press. MOO of course.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Lady Diana was well aware of Camilla prior to the wedding, and went ahead with it anyway.

"In the book “The Duchess: The Untold Story,” royal author Penny Junor said that the Princess of Wales told her sisters the day before her royal wedding to Prince Charles that she doesn’t want to push through with their nuptials. At that time, Princess Diana already knew that Prince Charles was having an affair with Camilla Parker Bowles."
Why Princess Diana’s Sisters May Be Blamed For Her, Prince Charles’ Failed Marriage
How dreadfully sad :(

How dreadfully sad :(

It is, she got totally swept up and was horribly unprepared for royal life and public scrutiny. Much like Meghan.

It is the reason Kate had to wait for so long to get engaged and married. There was no chance William was going to make the same mistakes as his dad. Charles should never have married Diana.

Not sure whether this article was posted, but I do hope that Harry and his wife apologize for inadvertently thanking someone who has been relentlessly slagging off members of Harry's family day after day on a public forum:

"Prince Harry and Meghan Markle phoned a fan linked to a Twitter troll that posts foul-mouthed attacks on the Royals to thank her for her fundraising.

The fundraiser, who the Duke and Duchess are said to have told they were 'so moved and happy' after she raised £45,000 for charities, runs another Twitter account which has posted a thread of nasty comments about the Royal Family.

Posts referred to Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, as a 'b****' and Prince William as an '*advertiser censored**hole', while another called the Monarchy a 's***, messy, toxic institution'."
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle phoned fan linked to Twitter TROLL | Daily Mail Online

It is, she got totally swept up and was horribly unprepared for royal life and public scrutiny. Much like Meghan.

It is the reason Kate had to wait for so long to get engaged and married. There was no chance William was going to make the same mistakes as his dad. Charles should never have married Diana.

Wasn't it Princess Diana's Grandmother and the Queen who put them together? I don't understand why Camilla didn't get a divorce and Prince Charles could have married her at that time. No heirs? Then, it would have just gone to Prince Andrew's progeny.

The whole situation was a sorry mess, and even now, in my opinion, Prince Charles lost a lot of respect.

It will be interesting to see how this is managed in "The Crown".

The dresses themselves look much the same. Maybe the first dress was repurposed by adding sleeves.

I'm not sure, but it does look like the same pearls.
While I was trying to answer your question I realized that Princess Anne is wearing the same dress in both of those pictures. It was recycled and refashioned for a different event!

Look carefully at the skirts first, and the dramatic halter neckline on the first image. I see a jacket with big sleeves in the second image, fabric of a good color match with a different stripe pattern.

Good call on seeing the dress again!

No vanity, I hope people would say that about me!

But then we wouldn't have William, Kate, George, Charlotte, and Louis.

For all the pain involved I am sure she never regretted having her sons.

Wasn't it Princess Diana's Grandmother and the Queen who put them together? I don't understand why Camilla didn't get a divorce and Prince Charles could have married her at that time. No heirs? Then, it would have just gone to Prince Andrew's progeny.

The whole situation was a sorry mess, and even now, in my opinion, Prince Charles lost a lot of respect.

It will be interesting to see how this is managed in "The Crown".

Diana looked good on paper and was princessy enough and that was it, decision made. Charles was dating Camilla before she got married, but back then she wasn't considered suitable to become his wife. A great shame, really, as clearly they were meant to be together.

I think people now see Charles and Diana for what it was: an arranged marriage

But then we wouldn't have William, Kate, George, Charlotte, and Louis.

For all the pain involved I am sure she never regretted having her sons.

No, we'd be gearing up for King Tom :D bet they wouldn't have used that name, they don't deviate much from the short list of royal names.

Fun fact: Camilla's son's full name is Thomas Henry Charles Parker Bowles. Interesting that his mum included her ex's name in the mix, and then made him Tom's Godfather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro