The Case of JonBenet Ramsey-CBS Sept. 18 # 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could an American follow that case back in the mid-90's without the Internet? Maybe she heard about it but was the American media doing regular updates on it? And of course we don't know where Patsy got her news from. Did she watch Today every morning? Did she read a local newspaper?

It was a big story all over the world, including the US. I think the video footage of them luring him away from the store made for compelling viewing. I saw it again and again on the news.

The Ramseys did have the internet in their home, although it may have been for John's use only. Back then it was dial-up (which means "very slow" for any millennials out there) and while the Bulger murder would have been covered by online news outlets, streaming video was either non-existent or in it's infancy and buffered for ages.

Also, information was not easy to find - no Wiki or Yahoo questions - so it's highly unlikely Ramseys could have easily determined whether Burke would have been charged. And for any non-Americans, keep in mind that the 50 states all have different laws with regard to this. I have no idea what my state's law is about juvenile offenders, but today I could look it up on my phone in 10 seconds. Very different then.

They cannot tell how long it's been in there, they can tell how close to her death it would have been consumed though, not an exact number but a window.

It would take 20-30 minutes for the pineapple to mix with digestive enzymes in the stomach, at which time chemical signals are sent that it is ready for the next oath of digestion, and enzymes are released from the pancreas and the stomach begins to release food into the sm intestines. For a full meal it can take up to 6 hours for the stomach to empty completely but most of the contents are out of the stomach by 2.5 hours. Some people have delayed gastric emptying though and some have rapid emptying, so it varies.

Given JBR likely only had a bite or two, her stomach would have fully emptied quickly after the 20-30minutes it took for the stomach to churn the contents. And since the pineapple was in the first part of her small intestines, it's highly likely she was killed within 30-60 minutes of consuming that fruit.

Which means her death was hardly likely to relate to having stolen a piece of pineapple.

I'm wondering what happens to digestion during an extended period of unconsciousness. Does it halt, or slow down?

Sorry if this has been addressed already since I am still a few pages behind, reading posts.

Which means her death was hardly likely to relate to having stolen a piece of pineapple.

I'm wondering what happens to digestion during an extended period of unconsciousness. Does it halt, or slow down?

Sorry if this has been addressed already since I am still a few pages behind, reading posts.

Digestion continues for the unconscious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

. At any rate, adults instinctively know a small child isn't going to be guilty and charged.

"Instinctively"? Nonsense. In many places he would be sent to a juvenile detention center until he was 18 if convicted. (the common law age of reason being 7 years old). I've explained above why the Ramseys almost certainly didn't know what the specific law in Colorado was.

Brendon, the fact that you have to continually make things up to stay in the conversation is making me wonder if you are a troll. At least that's my "instinctive" feeling.

Ramsey called his lawyer early. His lawyer would have told him. No police investigation or DA would have gone after them in that time (a couple of days) if the Ramseys had gone with their lawyer to see the police and make a statement about that. At any rate, adults instinctively know a small child isn't going to be guilty and charged. If it was someone in the house, it would have been one of the parents.

Not many lawyers are versed in children's criminal code or child protection law.

It blows my mind that she didn't lie and just say she drank a lot that day/night and when getting home, she just crashed while still wearing her clothes. Its a believable story and everyone would've bought it. It would have turned the clothing conundrum into a non issue.

I am in the minority on this, but I have never thought her wearing the same clothes meant a thing. The clothes were likely clean. Aside from immediate family, the people she would see on the 26th. Were not the people that saw her on the 25th. If she did not shower or bathe and re-dress then yes, it would be suspect, but we don't know that. I just might do that myself (after bathing) particularly if I was only wearing it for the flight and planning to change after arrival.

I am in the minority on this, but I have never thought her wearing the same clothes meant a thing. The clothes were likely clean. Aside from immediate family, the people she would see on the 26th. Were not the people that saw her on the 25th. If she did not shower or bathe and re-dress then yes, it would be suspect, but we don't know that. I just might do that myself (after bathing) particularly if I was only wearing it for the flight and planning to change after arrival.

Patsy doesn't strike me as a woman that's particularly clean, tidy or organized. It's superficial. She's only concerned how she presents to the outside world. Behind closed doors, she's a slob.
I'm not surprised at all she'd wipe her face and apply fresh make-up and never shower.
When was the last time she bathed JonBenet? Wasn't it DAYS?

I don't understand why the White's didn't want to go on the CBS show and tell their side of events. Does anyone have insight on this? Where is the best place to go to understand the White's perspective on what happened?

It was odd how the CBS show brought them into the picture and then we got nothing else about what they said.

They don't want to be sued. They don't have the resources of CBS. The threat of a lawsuit has been the best weapon for the Ramsey's to keep people from speaking out for the last 20 years. That is what makes me so happy that CBS doesn't care one bit about the threat.

If BR is too young to be charged with wrongful killing, then that contradicts any motive the parents would have for covering for him. And there is no evidence that would stand up in court of any prior abuse from BR to JB. There's a bit said here to back up that idea, but on closer inspection it is mainly speculation.

Brendon - Do you know, for a fact, that Patsy and John knew that BR was not in jeopardy of prosecution due to his age? If they knew this, then you would be right, there was no sensible reason to cover up the crime, they could have told LE the truth, there would have been an investigation to make sure they weren't blaming him for their own misdeeds and since he was a minor, her death would be explained as 'an accident in the home' to the rest of the curious world and there would have been no tabloid explosions. But, this is not how it went down.

I do not think ANYONE can understand how they could discover one child missing and a ransom note and not immediately wake the other, older child to find out if he saw or heard anything at all unless of course, they know who did it and wanted to keep him from being taken to the police station and interrogated.

None of that is evidence that he was present at the time of JB's death. Fingerprints on a bowl isn't proof of killing. Since there is no connection to the bowl with JB, its only circumstantial that they ate the same fruit at one stage that day. Hardly a revelation. Nor is being awake sometime prior to the killing. The 911 call is very inconclusive, and like the Trayvon Martin audio tapes, different people conclude it differently. Being awake in the morning in his own room, ditto.

The pineapple evidence is all over the shop. With claims by "experts" (who do we believe?) that she may have eaten the pineapple as early at 4.30pm!
http://jonbenetramsey.pbworks.com/w/page/11682517/The Pineapple Evidence

There seems so little circumstantial evidence, and what is left is argued this way and that. jmo

Ok the meal ate at the Ramsey's was already digested and within the large intestine by the autopsy report. The pineapple was in the proximal portion of the small intestine. Proximal- point of origin or attachment (Attachment of the small intestine to the stomach.)
Meaning it had just entered the small intestine. It was still identifiable as pineapple. There is absolutely NO way for the pineapple to have been eaten before the meal at the White's. If it had been, it would be past the fecal matter( remnants of meal at the White's) but it wasn't. It was in the upper portion of the small bowel only starting to be digested. The rest of the small intestine PAST the pineapple was unremarkable. Meaning there was not fecal matter within that area. This leaves a large gap between the time she ate her meal at the White's to the time she ate the pineapple. http://www.autopsyfiles.org/reports/Other/ramsey, jonbenet_report.pdf
attachment.php

attachment.php

The area they are referring to is the duodenum of the small intestine. It's the very first part of the small intestine where stomach contents dump into.
Burke himself recently admitted on Dr. Phil that he had in fact been downstairs after the family was asleep. When asked if he ate pineapple with JonBenet during that time he nervously said "Umm Maybe??" That is telling. He puts himself in the time frame when JonBenet ate the pineapple and when she died. The head wound was said to be 45 min- 2 hours prior to the strangulation. The head wound alone would have killed her but it did cause brain death per Dr. Spitz (who has done over 60,000 autopsies.) She very well could have appeared dead when the garrote was applied. The abrasions on her that Smit referred to as stun gun marks actually had puncture type injuries in the middle of them matching the train track. The reason there is no blood found at the site was there was no blood circulation.
Quoted from the CBS documentary:
Schuler- "Now when you go to bed at night what was your normal routine? I mean would you get a snack
before you went to bed?"
Burke- "Um..I might get a snack. Not usually."
Schuler- "If you got a snack, what would you normally get? Or what would mom let you have?"
Burke- "Pudding or yogurt."
Schuler-"Pudding or yogurt? Some parents let kids have cookies and candy and cereal and fruit and
things like that."
Burke- "Yeah, she'd suggest like fruit."
Schuler- "So what kind of fruits would you typically have at home?"
Burke- "Like pineapple, maybe (He becomes very fidgety)"
Schuler- "Yeah, do you like that?"
Burke-" Yeah."
Schuler- "Okay. Is that your favorite fruit?"
Burke- "Probably." (smiling)
Schuler- "What was JonBenet's favorite snack?"
Burke- "I don't think she had a snack."
Schuler- "What about pineapple, did she like pineapple?"
Burke- "Yeah, she liked pineapple a lot."

Back in the war room
Laura- "So one of the key issues with this case comes back to something that might look quite
innocuous and inconsequential. But it actually tells us a lot about what probably went on."
Clemente- "In JonBenet's small intestine there was a piece of organic material that looks like
pineapple."
Dr. Lee- "I want to know the condition of the pineapple."
Spitz- "You mean the degree of digestion? Yeah did the pathology report indicate what the
pineapple looked like? Or the gastric contents?"
Clemente- "What it says is the proximal portion of the small intestine contains fragmented
pieces of yellow to light green tan apparent vegetable or fruit material which may
represent fragments of pineapple."
Laura- "The remaindner of small intestine is unremarkable."
Dr. Lee- "Which means it's way after the meal."
Dr. Spitz- "Yeah they had just been for dinner at the White's that suggests that the meal
had been ingested some time to allow digestion and evacuation from the stomach. "
Clemente- "So, she completely digested her dinner and after that she then ate this pineapple."
Dr. Spitz- "Correct. That's correct. Chances are she ate a modest amount of food let's say,
but she digested it so your talking about hours."

Timeline Again
Approx 5:30pm- Ramsey's arrive at White family party.
JonBenet eats dinner.
Approx. 8:30pm- Ramsey's leave White family party.
Approx. 10:30pm- Total emptying of stomach approx. 5 hours later.
Approx. 1:30am

Dr. Lee- "So you start linking all those dots it gives us a possible timeline."
Dr. Spitz- "Yes. You approximately know the time that they came back home."

Time line again
Approx. 8:30pm- Ramsey's leave White family party
Approx 9:15pm- Ramsey's return home, JonBenet is asleep.
Approx. 9:20pm- John Ramsey carries sleeping JonBenet to bed.

Kolar- "JonBenet was asleep when they got back."
Laura- "And we know that John Ramsey put her to bed."
Dr. Spitz- "The pineapple was ingested subsequently."
Clemente- "We do know that JonBenet's reportedly favorite dessert was pineapple and milk.
There's a bowl that looks like it's pineapple with milk sitting on the table."
Dr. Lee- "The bowl of pineapple really had quite a few pieces so something interrupted and they
did not finish eating.."

Ramsey House set up
Celemente- "Dr. Spitz do you want to look at the dining room.
Dr. Spitz- "Yeah I would like to see the bowl with the pineapple."
Clemente- "So here we go."
Laura- "So Dr. Spitz this is the original picture of the pineapple."
Clemente- "What we know from the forensics is that both Burke's and Patsy's
fingerprints are on the bowl and Burke's are on the tea cup."

Quote from Perfect Murder/ Perfect Town- Lawrence Schiller. pg. 239
"The CBI had been able to identify two fingerprints found
on a white bowl on the dining room table. One print belonged to Burke
and the other to Patsy."

Clemente- "Patsy had said I think that she could not have prepared this
because this size spoon is actually too big for a bowl like that. So she
would have never done that. Did Burke prepare himself some tea and
pineapple and milk?"
Laura- "There are fingerprints on the bowl and the tea."
Dr. Spitz- "Were JonBenet's fingerprints on any of this?"
Laura- "They were not."
Clemente- "But, it's certainly reasonable to believe that JonBenet may have
snatched one piece."
Dr. Spitz- "Yeah. Directly with her fingers. For um..estimating time of death
that is important."
Clemente- "Isn't it possible that JonBenet came down and saw that Burke was
eating this and took one piece. She didn't touch the bowl, she didn't touch the spoon,
she didn't touch the glass."
Dr. Spitz- "You know I have three grandchildren myself. Kids will do that. They go by
and pick up a piece with their fingers."
Laura- "I'm being a bit cheeky, and they may be running off"
Dr. Spitz- "Swallowing is a voluntary action, you have to want to swallow, so if she was
wanting to swallow, she was alive and conscious."
Clemente- "You think this could have been the tipping point that started the rest of
the cascade of events that happened on the day she died?"
Dr. Spitz- "Could be."

Video of interview with Burke as a child being shown a picture of the bowl of
pineapple.
Interviewer- "Can you tell me what this picture is?"
Burke- "That's the dining room table."
Interviewer- "Can you describe that to me?"
Burke- (leaning in and closely looking at the photo) "It's a bowl of...........
......oh (nervous laugh)...something." (small nervous laugh again)
Interviewer- "Okay.. (continues to hold photo where Burke is leaning over photo, on his knees and
rocking)"
Burke- "Looks like a glass with a tea bag in it."
Interviewer- "And? Does that look like cereal inside there? (pointing to bowl)"
Burke- (long pause) "Nooo... it looks like a little big, one piece right there..for cereal.
Maybe like fruit, but there wouldn't be a spoon in it so...I dunno(nervous laugh)"

Laura- "Such a simple question to ask so why isn't he just saying what it is. He's
evading any answer and is uncomfortable about answering it. It should be just
an insignificant conversation."
Clemente- "He looks like he's about to jump out of the seat and he was leaning all
the way over the picture. It was really weird how he did that. It's a very
dramatic change in behavior. I think he's aware that that piece of pineapple in
JonBenet's stomach actually creates a major problem in terms of the timeline
when and how she was killed."

Back to video of Burke being interviewed.
Interviewer- "Would you ever go downstairs.. downstairs in the basement and play?"
Burke- "Yeah I had a train... electric train down there."
Interviewer- "How about the last year you lived there. Did you play there much?"
Burke- "Um. (long pause)... sort of. "

Back at the Ramsey house contruction in warehouse. Kolar and Laura are
standing in the mock train room in basement.

Kolar- "When the Boulder Police Department asked me to investigate the
JonBenet case, I was looking at the stun gun and the abrasion and the autopsy
described them as abrasions vs. burn marks. Even the taser company said these were not
the types of marks that had been left by one of their stun guns. When I asked for the
one to one photos to be done of these with the air taser. And as you've seen the stun gun
marks did not align with the weapon that was being proposed and I thought that was
pretty significant."
Laura- "Right. And these particular wounds, they are on her side."
Kolar- "They were on her lower left back if I recall."

Snippet of photo of autopsy report showing the exact wording relating to the abrasion
"Abrasions of left lower back and posterior left lower leg".

Kolar- "And so a sargeant in my office said 'hey I think I might have found something
that could possibly be responsible for these injuries.' He talked about the (?) track
and I asked Boulder P.D. to do some one to one photos with this as well as with the
train tracks. These pins that connect the tracks together, and you could see that the
scaled picture of the two outside pins of the train track matched exactly to the injuries
on JonBenet. You've got this train room and pieces of track here in this room and then there
were pieces of train track in the crime scene video that were on the floor in Burke's room
as well. I thought it was an incredible discovery to find a toy in the house that could have
been responsible for these injuries."

Back to round table in war room.

Dr.Spitz- "If you look carefully at those two marks in her back, there is a central defect
within each of the marks. That defect is from something penetrated through the skin. She was
without a blood circulation at the time. And the reason that she had no circulation is that there was
no evidence of blood in the pictures that were taken of those two marks."

Back at Ramsey reconstructed home in train room. Kolar and Laura standing by trainset.

Laura- "So if we think that JonBenet suffered a blow to the head, you know she's on the floor.
She doesn't seem to be breathing, she's not conscious then somebody using a piece of train
track..."
Kolar- "Trying to see if they can get a response or awaken JonBenet. Is this something an
Adult would use to try to get a response from an unconscious girl? An adult would have been
calling 911 for an ambulance."
Laura- "Right."

Back to war room round table.

Kolar- "Like the notepad and the pen that was used for the ransom note, this is another
piece of evidence that could have been used in this assault on JonBenet and it was in the
home in the trainroom downstairs as well as in Burke's bedroom."
Dr. Spitz- "You know I would have to conclude that it's either this (holding a piece of
train track) or something like it."
Laura- "Jim and I certainly tried to speak with John and Burke and really just give them
an opportunity to speak."
Clemente- "We called John a number of times and left a number of messages on his voicemail
and they just did not want to talk to us. So from the statements that the Ramsey's
have made, we need to look at what happened according to the family."

I hope this helps. :)

Attachments

• autopsy pineapple.jpg
    autopsy pineapple.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 507
  • intestine.jpg
    intestine.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 500
Digestion continues for the unconscious

I would imagine, though not being an expert, that if the part of the brain or system which controls digestion is impaired, causing unconsciousness, the digestive process would be interrupted in some way.

I appreciate my post only referred to unconsciousness not coupled with brain injury or other injury, such as neck compression.

I'll have to check the autopsy report again. Logic would assume she ate three meals that day. Who knows what her usual evacuation time was. Mine is usually after breakfast. My father's is after supper. Just not ruling out that it could have been JBR's.

It was Christmas which throws general logic out the window. We don't have three meals on Christmas. We have a huge late breakfast and a huge mid afternoon 'dinner'. Snacking in between and after, desserts up the wazoo. Turkey sandwich late at night.

Some children only void their bowels every few days. Totally within the realm of normal. Some void three times a day. Also normal.

I have no idea. I'm gonna have to spend some time reading A Candy Rose and getting some of those details if they are there.

I was thinking about the blanket last night as I was falling asleep.....someone else had mentions it came from the dryer....and I was just trying to think about why and when it was being washed in the first place. Presumably btw her death and the 911 call there would have been time to wash it...and I was wondering if evidence could have been washed off it before it was wrapped around her.

Also did this blanket have a normal location? In photos of JBRs bed I didn't notice any blanket or quilt just sheets ... And wondered if this was the blanket from her bed?....and again if so how and when did it end up I the laundry room to be laundered?
This is a question I keep pondering too. They had two sets of washing machines and dryers. One was in the basement and the other set was outside JBR's room. To me... I would think if the blanket had been soiled at some point, Patsy would put it in the one near JonBenet's bedroom. Unless however (this is from personal experience too) Maybe the washer and dryer upstairs was not large enough to wash and dry a thick blanket. Maybe it required being washed in the basement. Maybe the basement washer and dryer were a larger capacity. Just a thought to throw out there. Either way, if the blanket did in fact come out of the dryer, the person who wrapped her up would had to have known it was in there to begin with. An intruder wouldn't know this. IMOO

I don't understand why the White's didn't want to go on the CBS show and tell their side of events. Does anyone have insight on this? Where is the best place to go to understand the White's perspective on what happened?

It was odd how the CBS show brought them into the picture and then we got nothing else about what they said.

My guess is that footage relating to the Whites is in the unaired hour.

I always thought it was on purpose and she could somehow explain fibers if she had the same clothes the day they found her. It doesn't make sense but maybe she thought it did.

If she was "smart" she could have said I did I woke up , did my make up, Went downstairs, found note, called police, threw on clothes on tub before police arrived because I sleep naked or something. That would at least sound plausible.
IMOO I think this is also why John carried her upstairs and Patsy was all over her on the ground in the living room. So the fibers could be explained. There were crime scene type books found near their bed so I would think that would be a logical move for them in trying to cover up a crime.

I always thought it was on purpose and she could somehow explain fibers if she had the same clothes the day they found her. It doesn't make sense but maybe she thought it did.

If she was "smart" she could have said I did I woke up , did my make up, Went downstairs, found note, called police, threw on clothes on tub before police arrived because I sleep naked or something. That would at least sound plausible.

Remember she held JB's body to her after John brought her up from the basement. That may have been deliberate as well - to hold her after discovery, so she could explain fibre transfers.

I am trying to catch up with all of the posts since last night, so this goes back in the discussion.

As I was looking through John's deposition in the Stephen Miles case, here: http://web.dailycamera.com/extra/ramsey/2000/0206deposition.html I noticed that he states that he and Patsy socialized with Dr. and Mrs. Beuf. So that could explain the inappropriate prescription of sedatives to Patsy after JonBenet's death. They had a social relationship with the pediatrician.

Bottom of p. 39 for anyone who cares.
INTERESTING! Thank you so much for the link. I bookmarked it so I could go back and read it in full. I wonder why Dr. Beuf wasn't originally mentioned in reference to those at the house that day. Hmm!!!

Not if the killer was too young to be charged for wrongful killing.

It seems rather obvious to me what the endangerment charges were all about. My interpretation is: the parents had good reason to know, based on previous happenings, that Burke was a danger to his sister; and they didn't adequately protect JonBenet. The CBS show did a good job of making this clear.

As for the other charge: my interpretations is: the parents covered up for Burke.

great post.

I'm not in the BDI camp yet (I'm just RDI) but it's still a thought provoking post.

Scared of being sued IMO.

This is a question I keep pondering too. They had two sets of washing machines and dryers. One was in the basement and the other set was outside JBR's room. To me... I would think if the blanket had been soiled at some point, Patsy would put it in the one near JonBenet's bedroom. Unless however (this is from personal experience too) Maybe the washer and dryer upstairs was not large enough to wash and dry a thick blanket. Maybe it required being washed in the basement. Maybe the basement washer and dryer were a larger capacity. Just a thought to throw out there. Either way, if the blanket did in fact come out of the dryer, the person who wrapped her up would had to have known it was in there to begin with. An intruder wouldn't know this. IMOO

I might be wrong , but I seem to remember that I read that the set on the second floor was the stackable kind...back then those were much smaller capacity .
So it would make sense that a heavy blanket might now wash so well in it .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18