The Duct Tape Match #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, my roll of Henkel "Duck" tape has no printed logo (on the tape), and does say "Suitable For Use At No More Than 200F (93C)" on the cardboard roll.

FWIW, my roll of Henkel "Duck" tape has no printed logo (on the tape), and does say "Suitable For Use At No More Than 200F (93C)" on the cardboard roll.
Thanks. Perhaps if we made this a poll we'de get a percentage answer? I have seen claims both ways. Logo common, or Logo they have never seen?

Thanks. Perhaps if we made this a poll we'de get a percentage answer? I have seen claims both ways. Logo common, or Logo they have never seen?
How about common in Central Florida? When we have a hurricane coming, supplies like plywood, batteries, bottled water, and for some reason duct tape are rushed to this state. Wonder if Henkel could provide us with sales statistics for the state of Florida?

How about common in Central Florida? When we have a hurricane coming, supplies like plywood, batteries, bottled water, and for some reason duct tape are rushed to this state. Wonder if Henkel could provide us with sales statistics for the state of Florida?
In this case I think eye wittness report would be better than company statistics.

All we need to know is how common (or not) Henkel logo on tape is on shop shelves.

In this case I think eye wittness report would be better than company statistics.

All we need to know is how common (or not) Henkel logo on tape is on shop shelves.
It sort of looks like they need to be local eyewitness reports, since we've had at least one local who said they don't know from duct tape and grabbed what was on the pre-storm display, ending up with the Henkel logo.

FWIW, I'm not used to seeing logos, especially in low end tape, and I've seen lots of different kinds of duct tape.

henkel_duct_tape1.jpg
henkel_duct_tape2.jpg

I can post pics now! Not sure I did this right, but as I said in another post...if WE have Henkel duct tape, it must be VERY common LOL We live 30 minutes from the Anthony's...who knows...we may even shop at the same Home Depot. IMO, There is no way anyone is tearing this tape with their bare hands or teeth. Need scissors or a knife...it's really tough.

Thanks for the pictures. I will get an opinion on this product and its prevalence on Monday. Even if the logo printed product is a small portion of their business, it's still hundreds of thousands of rolls a year. I'm sure if this becomes a key point in the prosecution, sales records will be subpoened.

Oh, and duct tape is hard to tear unless you have the knack. It takes a certain wrist action that is hard to master but those who use it frequently, can tear it easily.

Did you happen to notice any type of product identification on either the core or package-like a product number or even a descriptor? If you have any additional information, I can do some more digging to find out how widely this is distributed.

Henkel does manufacture their own tape -- I live right near the Henkel Manco division in Avon, Ohio that made this tape, I know one of the managers, and they just relocated to Westlake, Ohio.
Henkel/Manco may convert their duct tape (cut it down from large manufactured rolls-think of a huge roll of tape 5 or 6 feet wide and thousands of meters long being cut into the 48mm/2" x 55m rolls you purchase) but I'm pretty certain they do not have a duct tape manufacturing line unless they installed it very recently. Lots of converters and distributors say they make tape but they purchase from others, convert, package, and distribute.

If you have knowledge that Henkel has a duct tape coating line, please share! My understanding is that Shurtape Technologies makes Henkel's duct tape these days.

Not in this case.

Ask, and still no idea. Would have been just a nice piece of info to have if the ask-recieve was working.
As 007 put it so succinctly: :eek:ther_beatingA_Dead
I think you gave up too easy.

ok you are named after the utimate answer. What is the answer?

Question:

In the general orlando area, is duct tape in common domestic use usually marked with a "henkel" logo. Roughly what percentage of rolls of duct tape on sale is of the 'logo" type.
t a n s t a a f l

OK you are named after the utimate answer. What is the answer?

QUESTION:

In the general Orlando area, is Duct tape in common domestic use usually marked with a "Henkel" logo. Roughly what percentage of rolls of duct tape on sale is of the 'logo" type.

Well, this was the answer I was going to attempt to get but I will cease and desist if my contributions are viewed as tangential or off-topic.

i think you will find increasing use of oppfyn paradigm

(not to be confused with douglas adams's oppcd)
Apologies for going off topic like this, but have you noticed that the message editor won't allow a post to be only an uppercase acronym (or at least one it doesn't recognize)? It converts to lowercase when you submit it.

Well, this was the answer I was going to attempt to get but I will cease and desist if my contributions are viewed as tangential or off-topic.
Please, no. You're not. I'm seriously interested in your answer.

it would be nice to think it was a device to stop excessive shouting?

I WAS RIGHT
Good thinking, Herc. Not being shouters, we'd have no way to encounter the issue except for a rare leading acronym.

In the general Orlando area, is Duct tape in common domestic use usually marked with a "Henkel" logo. Roughly what percentage of rolls of duct tape on sale is of the 'logo" type.

Remember somewhere back in this thread someone posted a link to an FBI study in which they went out and purchased 82 rolls of duct tape at random and out of those only 1 had the Henkel logo on the surface. That equals between 1% and 2%. IMO FairnBalanced did end up with Henkel when a sh*tload of tape was diverted here a couple years ago for the hurricanes. I live on the south side of Orlando, the A's live on the east side. I went through my share of duct tape, plywood and blue tarp during hurricanes Charlie and Frances, but no logo. I've used hundreds of rolls of the stuff in the last 30 years here in O-town, no logo. Last weekend I checked all the rolls at Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, and BigLots, no logo. Granted they were stores on the south side.
Like I said before. The logo's not the nail in the coffin but it should help sway the jury a little.

Remember somewhere back in this thread someone posted a link to an FBI study in which they went out and purchased 82 rolls of duct tape at random and out of those only 1 had the Henkel logo on the surface. That equals between 1% and 2%. IMO FairnBalanced did end up with Henkel when a sh*tload of tape was diverted here a couple years ago for the hurricanes. I live on the south side of Orlando, the A's live on the east side. I went through my share of duct tape, plywood and blue tarp during hurricanes Charlie and Frances, but no logo. I've used hundreds of rolls of the stuff in the last 30 years here in O-town, no logo. Last weekend I checked all the rolls at Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, and BigLots, no logo. Granted they were stores on the south side.
Like I said before. The logo's not the nail in the coffin but it should help sway the jury a little.
Thanks

That would normaly do it for me. NO LOGO

But just when I say that, I get a post that says almost every roll ever made has Henkel logo.

I'll go with you for a while. The tape in this case is the extremely rare type with a logo so chances are samples from remains match sample from house to a high statistical probability?

Since I'm sitting here with a roll of tape with the logo on it, and a sh*tload was sold during the period of time we had those hurricanes come through here...what does it prove if the rolls on the shelves now don't have the logo? There's no doubt that there are thousands of rolls of this tape in homes in this area so there has to be a bunch of it around. I know I would probably feel it wasn't common...IF....I didn't have a roll of it myself. Was a big surprise to me too, that I had it. Really made me sit up and take notice...so I think a jury could be convinced that having that brand of tape available to the accused doesn't mean thousands of others don't have it in their homes as well. There's going to have to be more evidence to match the tape from the crime scene to the Anthony home.
Wonder if Amy's tape had the Henkel logo on it. I know that I would have remembered what my roll of duct tape looked like if it had that distinctive logo on it. Wonder if LE asked Amy if her tape that KC took had that logo?
I couldn't manage to get a decent pic of the inside of the roll of tape...
henkel_inside.jpg

We are interested in logo on the actual tape of course! Not the inside of the roll. That is what we have been discussing.
Could you perhaps unroll a piece and photograph that. That would be of some use

I was answering the person who asked if I could get a pic of the inside of my roll that has the logo on the ouside. Sorry if you weren't interested. LOL Now I'm sorry I tried and tried to get that pic for the last half hour. Could I unroll it and take a pic? I posted those already...I'm the one that has the only roll in captivity besides the Anthonys, I guess.

I'm not saying it's the "bloody glove". I'm saying it's the Bruno Mali shoeprint. Just another stone in the mountain of evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro