The Duct Tape Match #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The FBI searched for, but was unable to find any fingerprints on the duct tape.

I haven't seen that yet. Will you please tell us which page of discovery says that? Or are you referring to the page that mentions checking for CA, GA and LA's prints that is worded a bit ambiguously? TIA

Now I wonder what Casey's reasoning will be. She will say Zani had a key and must have come into the house and taken the tape and the stuff from Caylee's room.

At some point her lawyers need to advise her to hang it up and plea out. How much more evidence would one need to prove beyond a reasonable doubt she killed Caylee. It would be unreasonable to think otherwise.

Zanni needed the tape for a broken window on her car. :rolleyes:

Looks like those *effing gas cans* are going to help hang her effing azz...:furious:

We can only hope!:woohoo:

I haven't seen that yet. Will you please tell us which page of discovery says that? Or are you referring to the page that mentions checking for CA, GA and LA's prints that is worded a bit ambiguously? TIA

I have this. IMO, this states that no fingerprints were found...

I'm assuming its from that gas can the police removed from the garage. I remember it having a piece of duct tape on it.

Anyone know why duct tape would be on a gas can? Maybe to identify gas for the mower from that for the car?

Respectfully, this was a request to check for GA, Ca and LA's prints on the tape. None of them were present, thereby excluded. We haven't seen the request for KC's, or anyone else's, prints. Don't give up hope yet! :behindbar

The wording is curious, but we have to remember they won't be releasing all the information which they are going to use in trial. I think it does indicate by the wording that Casey's fingerprints are on the duct tape.

By matching the duct tape on the gasoline can, it solidifies it came from the A fam home, too.
Have they found a roll of the tape or just the other piece that was on the gas can? See, I have a theory about it, KC's not exactly a person with foresight. I can picture her putting Caylee in the trunk, asleep or drugged, and yanking the tape right off the gas can and onto the baby, as an afterthought, in case she awoke.

We haven't seen the request for KC's, or anyone else's, prints.

Actually we have seen the request. It's attached below. This is OCSO telling/requesting what the FBI should do with the tape evidence. They basically wanted the FBI to look for any latent fingerprints. There weren't any. OCSO supplied copies of the other family members, just in case prints were found on the tape (or anything else for that matter). The FBI would already have KC's prints or could get them from a database. They would not have access to the others unless they had previously been arrested and fingerprinted. By providing the other samples, OCSO potentially saved time in case prints were found that didn't match KC. Also note that the FBI returned the tape after they examined it. Why would OCSO have had the FBI intentionally ignore any prints other than the three and then send it back to Orlando? :waitasec:

Thanks for clarifying; appears to be the same that I saw and read differently. Just thought you had gotten further along and saw something specific or at least less ambiguous.

Respectfully, this was a request to check for GA, Ca and LA's prints on the tape. None of them were present, thereby excluded. We haven't seen the request for KC's, or anyone else's, prints. Don't give up hope yet! :behindbar

I agree. Otherwise, I see no reason to include anyone's name. Much clearer to simply state "no prints" if there are none. To me this is pretty clearly stating, as you suggest, that there are none of LA, GA or CA's prints. But, I can see how some would isolate the one sentence and run with it and cannot be 100% sure they're not correct, until we get further clarification.

Supporting your reading, of course, is Blink's source reporting partial prints and Bob Kealing's source saying 'not good for the defense.' Nothing on the tape would be terrific; beyond terrific for the defense.

Nothing on the tape would be terrific; beyond terrific for the defense.

What the defense would make a dream wish for is prints from an unknown person who is not KC or the family.

Actually we have seen the request. It's attached below. This is OCSO telling/requesting what the FBI should do with the tape evidence. They basically wanted the FBI to look for any latent fingerprints. There weren't any. OCSO supplied copies of the other family members, just in case prints were found on the tape (or anything else for that matter). The FBI would already have KC's prints or could get them from a database. They would not have access to the others unless they had previously been arrested and fingerprinted. By providing the other samples, OCSO potentially saved time in case prints were found that didn't match KC. Also note that the FBI returned the tape after they examined it. Why would OCSO have had the FBI intentionally ignore any prints other than the three and then send it back to Orlando? :waitasec:

Report under separate cover regarding findings other than those 3 specifically named? Makes sense to me and there was also a media report that they were "still investigating" prints on the tape. No reason to be still investigating if there were none. A whole lot of people that are much smarter and much more connected than the average poster have to have gotten it wrong for your assertion to be correct. It's possible but I hope it's not true.

What the defense would make a dream wish for is prints from an unknown person who is not KC or the family.

lol, that I agree with but do you think they'd even fantasize something that far out? ;)

Report under separate cover regarding findings other than those 3 specifically named? Makes sense to me and there was also a media report that they were "still investigating" prints on the tape. No reason to be still investigating if there were none. A whole lot of people that are much smarter and much more connected than the average poster have to have gotten it wrong for your assertion to be correct. It's possible but I hope it's not true.

We've already seen examples where media reports are wrong. It happens. OCSO wanted the FBI to look for any prints they could find. There is no specific instruction to create a different report if any other person's prints are found. That wouldn't make sense anyway. Then you have the FBI returning the tape to Orlando. Why do that if you already know you are going to be doing more testing? Why would OCSO play ping-pong with the FBI concerning this tape evidence?

In all honesty, I didn't expect fingerprints to be found on the tape. It gets quite deteriorated when submerged in swamp water and exposed to the elements. I read in the docs that the silver side (non sticky) coating had completely eroded away.

The FBI searched for, but was unable to find any fingerprints on the duct tape.

As I read it...they tested for LA, GA, and LE...none of "theirs" were found...there were "no other LATENT" prints found.....first...there's no info given about IF Casey's prints of any kind were found....AND, no mention IF any "Patent" prints....

[edit] Fingerprint types

[edit] Latent prints
Although the word latent means hidden or invisible, in modern usage for forensic science the term latent prints means any chance of accidental impression left by friction ridge skin on a surface, regardless of whether it is visible or invisible at the time of deposition. Electronic, chemical and physical processing techniques permit visualization of invisible latent print residue whether they are from natural secretions of the eccrine glands present on friction ridge skin (which produce palmar sweat, consisting primarily of water with various salts and organic compounds in solution), or whether the impression is in a contaminant such as motor oil, blood, paint, ink, etc.

Latent prints may exhibit only a small portion of the surface of the finger and may be smudged, distorted, overlapping, or any combination, depending on how they were deposited. For these reasons, latent prints are an “inevitable source of error in making comparisons,” as they generally “contain less clarity, less content, and less undistorted information than a fingerprint taken under controlled conditions, and much, much less detail compared to the actual patterns of ridges and grooves of a finger.”[5]

[edit] Patent prints
These are friction ridge impressions of unknown origins which are obvious to the human eye and are caused by a transfer of foreign material on the finger, onto a surface. Because they are already visible they need no enhancement, and are generally photographed instead of being lifted in the same manner as latent prints.[citation needed] Finger deposits can include materials such as ink, dirt, or blood onto a surface.

ETA: I can TRY to make up possibilities, can't I???

We're all kind of parsing words at this point to support our particular view. I can't get past naming 3 specific people. Some can't get past the sentence that says none found. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. :)

We're all kind of parsing words at this point to support our particular view. I can't get past naming 3 specific people. Some can't get past the sentence that says none found. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. :)

ITA!! Maybe "the devil" doesn't have fingerprints??

So, when WESH reported yesterday something along the lines of 'open to interpretation' I'm kind of wondering if this is what they meant --- not addressing KC's prints on tape could be taken either way.

Of course, seems reasonable they wouldn't want that info out any sooner than it had to be, if KC's prints are there, which Blink's source says there are 'partial' prints.

I'm still caught up in the "open to interpretation" part, too....oh, well. JMO

Hope it's okay to crash this duct tape match thread, but I don't know where else to put this observation.

Did anyone else notice how many more pieces of duct tape, that was not attached to Caylee's head, that they found at the crime scene?

Makes me think that maybe her poor little arms were taped as well. :eek:

** edited as a prior post I missed addressed the same issue **

Okay, I haven't read the whole thread --- but, how in the heck do they know that the same duct tape they found with Caylee was the same as on the gas cans.... how the heck do you match up duct tape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx