The Duggar Family: 18 Kids & Counting

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I know this is a dark thought, but can you imagine if Michelle (or Jim Bob, for that matter) died? Single parent to 19 kids? How would either of them handle it?

I know this is a dark thought, but can you imagine if Michelle (or Jim Bob, for that matter) died? Single parent to 19 kids? How would either of them handle it?

But it's a logical thought and a thought every parent needs to consider. Who would raise those kids if they both died?? Just like that case where intruders broke in and killed that family in Florida who had all of those disabled children. I fogot the names. Billings?? Anyway, scary thoughts.

That would be horrible, however, I think that once the babies are born (and weaned from breastfeeding) that the vast majority of child-rearing is done by the older siblings, or "buddies" as the Duggars put it.

I think the older kids would pitch in and take over,much as they are doing now.And after a period of time,I think the parent that is left would start to court and find an acceptable suitor.

They seem to have such a "system" in place that the loss of a parent would not make "single parenting" have the same meaning it would to you or me.

The children are so duty oriented that they would step up and fill the holes.

Finally, the community would step forward and fill in what holes the kids couldn't fill themselves.

Envious safety net, eh? Something most of the rest of us can't say WE have!

They seem to have such a "system" in place that the loss of a parent would not make "single parenting" have the same meaning it would to you or me.

Finally, the community would step forward and fill in what holes the kids couldn't fill themselves.

I have mixed feelings about having as many children as this family has. In some ways I feel like the children shouldn't have to be so duty oriented but in the same token, I wish that it were more acceptable to teach our children to be this duty oriented. (How's that for talking out of both sides of my mouth?)

I do believe you're right about the "community", even if it's the church community or the public as a whole, I think this family would have a lot of 'support' should anything happen.

They do have a great safety net and their faith is admirable. JMO.

Praying that Josie thrives.

I have mixed feelings about having as many children as this family has. In some ways I feel like the children shouldn't have to be so duty oriented but in the same token, I wish that it were more acceptable to teach our children to be this duty oriented. (How's that for talking out of both sides of my mouth?)

I do believe you're right about the "community", even if it's the church community or the public as a whole, I think this family would have a lot of 'support' should anything happen.

They do have a great safety net and their faith is admirable. JMO.

Praying that Josie thrives.
I don't have mixed feeling about this at all.
19 children?
How would each of them get enough individual attention from their parents?
What about her health?
She is at risk for incontinence and other problems from having that many kids. And as she ages, any of her potential children are at higher risk of genetic abnormalities.
""I am not aware of this couple's reasoning on the matter of contraception," said Dr. John B. Coppes of the Austin Medical Center-Mayo Health System in Austin, Minn. "However, I hope they are aware of the risks for Down syndrome, uterine rupture, future C-sections, pre-eclampsia.""
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Television/19th-baby-duggar-woman-face-risks/story?id=9340188

Duty oriented?
Her children didn't have all these children. She did. At the very least, one would think, she should stop having them now, because of all the risks, but considering the history of these people, I personally wouldn't count on it. If she gets pregnant again, not only she would put her own health in risk, but any child has higher risk of genetic abnormalities because she is getting old.
Will that stop these people? Again, if she is physically able, I wouldn't count on it.
I hoped that after #18, she'd be done. But she got pregnant again very quickly, and now she had this very premature baby.
What's next?

jjenny, I'm not arguing with you at all. In many ways, I feel the same as you do. That's who I am and I am not a person who would have a bunch of children, even if the Good Lord gave me the ability.

I'm not postitive about the 'grand design' of the female body and I don't have the authority to decide just how many children a person is supposed to give birth to.

Right now, I'm just praying that Josie makes it through these tough days as a preemie, I'm praying that Michelle makes it through this birth and it's after effects, and I guess, I pray that God decides when it's time for them to be done with childbearing.

jjenny, I'm not arguing with you at all. In many ways, I feel the same as you do. That's who I am and I am not a person who would have a bunch of children, even if the Good Lord gave me the ability.

I'm not postitive about the 'grand design' of the female body and I don't have the authority to decide just how many children a person is supposed to give birth to.

Right now, I'm just praying that Josie makes it through these tough days as a preemie, I'm praying that Michelle makes it through this birth and it's after effects, and I guess, I pray that God decides when it's time for them to be done with childbearing.

Thankfully most people don't leave that to God.

I can't give a really great rebuttal to your statement, but I am very glad that my grandma did leave that decision to God. Had my dad not been the latter of the 14 children she'd given birth to, I'm guessing I wouldn't be here or under another train of thought, I coulda been born a Rockefeller?

My thoughts and prayers go for the Dugger family and especially Michelle and baby Josie.

I would far rather watch the Dugger's and Table for 12 than many of the other reality shows airing. They both seem to be down-to-earth loving families who act much like my own. LOL. I am happy for them that they are able to have sponsors who help out. Just remember, they have to claim all those "gifts" on their income tax, so they are not exactly "free."

FWIW, I went to school with some children whose mother gave birth to her 26th child when we were in high school. (Many, many moons ago, in the days of cloth diapers and plastic pants.) All grew into adulthood and have done fairly well for themselves.

God was there when the scientist discovered the Birth Control Pill and all the other methods available today. It's a personnel choice. I am glad my parents had just three kids.

Duty oriented?
Her children didn't have all these children. She did. At the very least, one would think, she should stop having them now, because of all the risks, but considering the history of these people, I personally wouldn't count on it. If she gets pregnant again, not only she would put her own health in risk, but any child has higher risk of genetic abnormalities because she is getting old.
Will that stop these people? Again, if she is physically able, I wouldn't count on it.
I hoped that after #18, she'd be done. But she got pregnant again very quickly, and now she had this very premature baby.
What's next?

I think it is very, very strange to assume we have anything worthwhile to say about how the Duggars do what they do. That sense of entitlement to comment on their lifestyle, which is their's to choose and is law abiding and contributing to society, seems specious to me.

Of course we're free to yak on however we like :)

I personally would rather live in a world with as many Duggars as is possible. At least I could walk through THEIR neighborhood at night.

I could not ever live their Christian life or tolerate thier lifestyle imposed upon me. But I could appreciate them reproducing more of themselves, it would make the world a better place. At least THEIR babies won't be on the news scalded, beaten or dead.

What Michelle does with her body is HER business, just as it is with a woman who chooses to abort her fetus. It's her choice to put her life at risk.

Obviously I don't come from the assumption the Duggars are stupid or out of control, and that influences what I say about them, and how I "interpret" their behavior.

PeteyGirl, I applaud your above post 1,000 times over. Very well-said.

I'm so glad there are a few posters on WS that are so well-spoken and can write what I feel but couln't convey as eloquently if I tried.

The Duggars, IMO, are a gift to this world. I would love to have more of them and their kind around.

I think it is very, very strange to assume we have anything worthwhile to say about how the Duggars do what they do. That sense of entitlement to comment on their lifestyle, which is their's to choose and is law abiding and contributing to society, seems specious to me.

Of course we're free to yak on however we like :)

I personally would rather live in a world with as many Duggars as is possible. At least I could walk through THEIR neighborhood at night.

I could not ever live their Christian life or tolerate thier lifestyle imposed upon me. But I could appreciate them reproducing more of themselves, it would make the world a better place. At least THEIR babies won't be on the news scalded, beaten or dead.

What Michelle does with her body is HER business, just as it is with a woman who chooses to abort her fetus. It's her choice to put her life at risk.

Obviously I don't come from the assumption the Duggars are stupid or out of control, and that influences what I say about them, and how I "interpret" their behavior.

The world is already overpopulated as it is.
Thankfully not everyone is reproducing at this rate. As for it just being her choice, she has 19 kids.
With that many children, clearly she doesn't have just herself to think about.

I don't think we have a choice as what we leave to God or not LOL!

I have no idea what it is you are trying to say there.
You can certainly decide whether to take birth control or not, and I fail to see what God has to do with it.

I have no idea what it is you are trying to say there.
You can certainly decide whether to take birth control or not, and I fail to see what God has to do with it.

God has a lot to do with it if you believe what the Duggars believe - that God dictates sex is for the purpose of reproduction. Many religions don't believe in birth control. That has a lot to do with God as many religions are centered around God.

I agree that it's a myth that only children are more spoiled or selfish, but the fat fertile and forty is now a myth, too. The doctor who removed my daughter's gall bladder said that she has had many many patients who are young and even some teens.

So true on the young patients having gallbladder surgery.I work in surgery and I cannot believe how many young females are getting their gallbladder removed.The youngest (a female)I ever saw was 13!!!!!!YIKES!!!If this would have been my child,we would have gotten a second opinion.I have noticed that most of these females are on the heavier side,but not all of them.But then I would say that about 80% of the surgery patients are overweight to some degree.The gender ratio for a cholecystectomy is like 7 female per 1 male....seems like it.Could just be the area where I live.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pencat
Back