The Fall Of Kabul To The Taliban

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How is it that we're just now hearing about a bunch of American civilians, including a bunch of teenagers, stuck there. Incredible - in the worst possible way!
I assume that up until now they wanted to stay under the radar and try to get out without drawing attention to them. Now that there is only 72 hours left they are desperate.

I believe it was yesterday that the Pentagon admitted that they really don't have any idea how many Americans are left in country.
San Diego County where El Cajon is located has a significant Afghan population, probably visiting family. The largest Afghan population is in Fremont (Alameda County) in northern California.
That would make some sense.

UK is working 'full speed' to rescue 4,000 Brits and Afghans STILL stuck in Kabul | Daily Mail Online

Biden isn't fit for the role - he's gone gaga': Tory MPs join US Republicans in condemning President's Afghanistan 'betrayal' as UK races to get last 2,000 people out in 24 hours - while America BLAMES its citizens for not leaving earlier
  • Kabul evacuation has entered desperate final stages after Joe Biden refused to delay departure of US troops
  • Mr Biden is said to have dismissed G7 request 'point blank', regarding idea of an extension as a 'non-runner'
  • Dominic Raab said the UK is now working 'full speed' to get the remaining Brits and Afghan out of the country
  • Last flight could come as early as tomorrow or Friday as troops will need time to wrap up their deployment

San Diego County where El Cajon is located has a significant Afghan population, probably visiting family. The largest Afghan population in the US is in Fremont (Alameda County) in northern California.

You are correct. From the LA Times

"Miyashiro said that the families are on special visas for U.S. military service and that the Department of Defense considers them allies. He said that the district was able to provide information on the families and that government officials are working to locate the children and their families. He said he was encouraged by the assistance.

Cajon Valley School Board member Jo Alegria said the students were in Afghanistan on summer vacation with their families. She said families of the students who are abroad reached out to the district to ask that it hold their places in their classrooms."

Students from San Diego County school district stranded in Afghanistan

Did no one read the State Department warnings?
Isn’t it mind boggling.

They were even allowing US citizens to leave the country with an expired passport.

Message to U.S. Citizens: U.S. Embassy Kabul, Afghanistan (May 27, 2021) | U.S. Embassy in Afghanistan

When you’re getting messages like this it doesn’t seem like you’d want to hang around, to see how it all plays out.
  • Draft a will and designate appropriate insurance beneficiaries and/or power of attorney.
  • Discuss a plan with loved ones regarding care/custody of children, pets, property, belongings, non-liquid assets (collections, artwork, etc.), funeral wishes, etc.
  • Share important documents, login information, and points of contact with loved ones so that they can manage your affairs, if you are unable to return as planned to the United States. Consider signing a power of attorney.
  • Establish your own personal security plan in coordination with your employer or host organization, or consider consulting with a professional security organization. Carry a communication device and, where possible, ride in armored vehicles.
  • Notify a trusted person of your travel itinerary and contact information. Avoid discussing your movement plans in public where you can be overheard or with persons who do not have the need to know.
Afghanistan Travel Advisory - Level 4: Do Not Travel | U.S. Embassy in Afghanistan

You are correct. From the LA Times

"Miyashiro said that the families are on special visas for U.S. military service and that the Department of Defense considers them allies. He said that the district was able to provide information on the families and that government officials are working to locate the children and their families. He said he was encouraged by the assistance.

Cajon Valley School Board member Jo Alegria said the students were in Afghanistan on summer vacation with their families. She said families of the students who are abroad reached out to the district to ask that it hold their places in their classrooms."

Students from San Diego County school district stranded in Afghanistan
I suppose the parents wanted their kids to see Afghanistan one more time since it would likely by the last opportunity. I sincerely hope they are able to get back out. Time is running out.

Isn’t it mind boggling.

They were even allowing US citizens to leave the country with an expired passport.

Message to U.S. Citizens: U.S. Embassy Kabul, Afghanistan (May 27, 2021) | U.S. Embassy in Afghanistan

When you’re getting messages like this it doesn’t seem like you’d want to hang around, to see how it all plays out.
  • Draft a will and designate appropriate insurance beneficiaries and/or power of attorney.
  • Discuss a plan with loved ones regarding care/custody of children, pets, property, belongings, non-liquid assets (collections, artwork, etc.), funeral wishes, etc.
  • Share important documents, login information, and points of contact with loved ones so that they can manage your affairs, if you are unable to return as planned to the United States. Consider signing a power of attorney.
  • Establish your own personal security plan in coordination with your employer or host organization, or consider consulting with a professional security organization. Carry a communication device and, where possible, ride in armored vehicles.
  • Notify a trusted person of your travel itinerary and contact information. Avoid discussing your movement plans in public where you can be overheard or with persons who do not have the need to know.
Afghanistan Travel Advisory - Level 4: Do Not Travel | U.S. Embassy in Afghanistan

I understand the warnings went out. If I was there, I probably would have been out as soon as it was announced. But, there are many citizens...from ALL westernized nations.. who stayed for an unknown reason, and perhaps they were even valid. We don't know! Charitable work? Animal rescue work? Religious missionaries? Journalism Students learning abroad? All walks of life I am sure! Feminists and Gay rights activists also! We just don't know!

To be put in the column of " They had their chance", seems a bit harsh to me.

From Lucy Fisher, UK's Telegraph Political Editor:

"NEW Stranded Afghans should consider fleeing over land borders, not waiting for RAF airlifts out of Kabul airport, warns Ben Wallace. Defence Sec told MPs tonight that Afghan translators should now “explore another route” out, ahead of UK troop drawdown."

https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/1430642025167212547

I understand the warnings went out. If I was there, I probably would have been out as soon as it was announced. But, there are many citizens...from ALL westernized nations.. who stayed for an unknown reason, and perhaps they were even valid. We don't know! Charitable work? Animal rescue work? Religious missionaries? Journalism Students learning abroad? All walks of life I am sure! Feminists and Gay rights activists also! We just don't know!

To be put in the column of " They had their chance", seems a bit harsh to me.

I don’t mean to sound harsh. I think we should do whatever it takes to get them out.

When you travel to destinations that are not recommended for US travel you should always be on high alert. In the past, I’ve traveled to places that I’d never go to today i.e., Turkey and Colombia. You have a certain awareness about what you’re doing and where you are. Always use the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program and understand that there are circumstances in which you might not get the help you need. People need to make decisions based on the information they receive from the State Department for their own personal safety. IMO

They well could have been. There was never any way this was going to work. The Afghans are a tribal people who "govern" through bribes, favors, protection deals between the various tribal leaders/warlords.

Course women have no role. That's why the only people I am really concerned about are them, at least the westernized ones who are, hopefully, primarily in Kabul. The men change allegiance fairly easily it seems except for those in the Panjshir Valley. They are the old Northern Alliance who fought against the Taliban at the time of 9/11. Their leader, named Ahmad Massoud was killed on 09/10/2001. (I actually remember reading about it that day.) Now his son is the current leader and is committed to fighting the Taliban. Some Afghans vow to resist Taliban from mountain enclave

I've managed to contact a few women in Kabul. One I heard on CNN and tracked her down via her non profit <modsnip>. With all the women I expressed my support & concern and asked what we could do to help acknowledging there is really little we can do given the deal that was made in 2020 that cut out the Afghan government and released 5,000 Taliban fighters & leaders from prison. I digress....

Notably none of them expressed any interest on behalf of themselves or others about leaving the country. None. Not one. They want to stay and save their country or at least try. They asked us to contact legislators etc to ensure pressure is placed on the Taliban. This requires some press presence or at least NGO presence. But there needs to be some international presence to pressure the Taliban to meet their promises regarding human rights and girls education. <modsnip - reference to fund raising sites not permitted>

My son, who was in Bagram for many moons told me he believed the Afghan helpers hated Americans and he thought many of them to have been spies. This comes from a man who helped, along with others, to save several Afghani lives, from a guy who loves and gets along with everyone in many countries. Of course, one size does not fit all, never did, never will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Seriously. It's always been a Level 4 Do Not Travel country. Never mind everyone knew the Taliban was taking over. But people are crazy. A group visiting this summer. Yesterday a story about a family who had gotten settled here but went BACK in July to visit family cause they might not be able to see them for a long time! The father got back but the August return tickets were "too expensive" for his wife and 5 or so children so he got them tickets in September. Now he wants them rescued.

Did no one read the State Department warnings?

Biden is not calling the shots. The Taliban are. The Taliban will allow foreigners to leave up until Aug 31. I suppose things will become very serious for the people left behind. The Taliban accepts that foreigners should leave, but they will not easily allow Afghans to leave.

There's really only one choice - to get back in there with massive military assault and stop the Taliban, or accept that the Taliban have been fully equipped with USA weapons that they will use to oppress the Afghan people and to potentially launch assaults on other countries. The absence of a coordinated plan is shocking.
As soon as August 31 comes around and since the Taliban is calling the shots, then as soon as the last plane leaves with military there should be a slamming of airstrikes to destroy all weapons left by the USA. Period. and if the remaining Americans are not allowed to leave, then bomb them again, and again. The Taliban understands leadership by strength, not weakness.

Australians warned to keep away from Kabul airport due to 'very high' risk of terror attack
rbbm.
dff857444a540abd9d17e197b8246c4d

Former Australian embassy guards and their families were forced to wade through sewage as they tried to get into the airport this week.
updated 3m ago
''Australians are being warned not to go near Kabul's international airport if they aren't already inside, as the threat of Taliban violence against those trying to enter worsens.

Key points:
  • DFAT says the risk of a terrorist attack is 'very high'
  • The changed advice comes as the threat of Taliban violence at the airport grows
  • More than 80,000 people have been rescued from Kabul by coalition forces since the Taliban first entered
Early this morning the Department of Foreign Affairs updated its advice on Smartraveller, warning people not to head to Hamid Karzai airport, and telling those nearby to keep away.

"If you're in the area of the airport, move to a safe location and await further advice," the advice said.

nearly impossible to get inside, and they were forced to turn back as the Taliban beat people and tear-gassed crowds.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessicawilliams0