The Grand Jury & Trial

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Georgia in the Atlanta area and I attended the Hemy Newman /Andrea Sneiderman case (grrrr retrial upon the appeal now next year!!! She live less than 2 miles from me grrrr ...)

But I must say... perhaps it's because I'm a Georgian.. I really enjoy following the Georgia trials. There's no drama like the Caylee case ..the Bashara case ..the Alexander case ... I could go on and on as far as the case drama in court.

In court the Georgia cases are just so matter of fact and law based ..I like it to follow as a :websleuther:

I live in the Atlanta area also! I've thought about attending this trial but the traffic just makes my heart quail. And I will say this: Harris' attorney is definitely earning his pay. Don't know how successful he will be, but he is WORKING for that fee!

This whole probable cause warrant argument is confusing in regards to the hot car death searches.

Justin Ross Harris told police who were interviewing him immediately after the death of his son was discovered that he had a great deal of knowledge about hot car deaths and that he came by that knowledge through researching the topic.

Am I remembering that rightly?

The Georgia father charged with murder for leaving his 22-month-old son in a hot car told police that he had done online research about child deaths in vehicles and “what temperature it needs to be,” according to warrants released Saturday.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...s-told-police-he-researched-child-car-n143286

"Leanna Harris, the child's mother, was also questioned regarding the incident and made similar statements regarding researching in car deaths and how it occurs,'' according to new search warrants made public Sunday. The warrants were released by Cobb County magistrate officials, and obtained by Fox 5 in Atlanta, and other media outlets.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2014/06/wife_of_justin_ross_harris_als.html

So the parents both made statements to police about searches for hot car deaths to LE while being interviewed during the death investigations and police used those statements to get warrants as they demonstrated probable cause.

Seems pretty cut and dried to me. They said hey we looked this stuff up and so police said hey, I think we may want to look at their devices and see this history of looking things up.

At the very first they said that they had watched tv .. the detective said they researched it. And therefore with the basis of the warrant.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that is what the defense is going for.

ATL, I think you are right, plus this detective testifying at this time is the ONLY detective to have requested the search warrants in this case (which I believe is part of his duties), so if defense can impeach this witness they could possibly get all the warrants thrown out.

I don't see that happening, but the defense is definitely going down that route, IMO.

I live in the Atlanta area also! I've thought about attending this trial but the traffic just makes my heart quail. And I will say this: Harris' attorney is definitely earning his pay. Don't know how successful he will be, but he is WORKING for that fee!

There must be a Waffle House to go to earlier before the trial to beat the traffic. :biggrin: Somewhere around the big chicken!! (local landmark in Marietta )

:seeya: tlcya ! Glad to have you as a moderator on this thread

For those that live locally and those who have followed there are a couple "mispeaks " to come later.

Please note that in no way I am in any way supporting the defense.. I just know that I have lived here and stuff is going to come out and I'm very interested in how the law is going to handle that situation

When you say mispeaks, was this in previous hearings by LE? Did LE just not remember or was it intentional?

There must be a Waffle House to go to earlier before the trial to beat the traffic. :biggrin: Somewhere around the big chicken!! (local landmark in Marietta )

:seeya: tlcya ! Glad to have you as a moderator on this thread

Wanna meet up, lol?

I have to laugh at the defense questioning the number of computers/devices seized, saying that four computers or devices was 'a lot.' If for some reason LE were to seize all our devices that were capable of internet access there would be (I think) 10, lol! And for the record, I know that my husband, who occasionally works from home, has used at least four of them for work purposes, possibly five or six.

I have to ask a simple question. What part of Probable Cause do the defense not get? He keeps asking if LE had any proof and if they stated what their source of information was. In my years of following trials, I have never seen LE provide all their evidence in a Probable Cause affidavit and I wish the LE on the stand would just say "we had probable cause because the statements by the defendant did not match up to the evidence found in the car, i.e. there is no way he could not have seen his child when driving the 5 minutes from were he strapped his child in, or when he dropped off said package he purchased at lunch. Furthermore, he was combative with LE when they were responding to his dead child and the responders could not get him off the phone, who incidently, was not 911 or his wife informing her of the situation".

As for giving all the details about where the information was obtained, if the Judge wanted or needed that information, based on what he had been told, he/she would have asked for it.

I understand the defense has to put on a defense, but in this case, asking over and over "where's the proof?" is frustrating after a while. Search warrants are authority to go and find evidence in situations where LE are being told a story that is not believeable.

If Nancy Grace can get a car just like his and re-create the scene (without a deceased child in the car), how much more can trained professionals not question a story that is just not adding up? That's just how things work. As someone stated up thread, if you had to have the evidence before you could get a warrant to get the evidence, no one would ever go on trial.

Ok. I've had my rant. :)

When you say mispeaks, was this in previous hearings by LE? Did LE just not remember or was it intentional?

I have a dinner party tonight and friends from out of town for 3 days I will try to find it for you later. It is in mainstream media

This says Internet searches and watching videos online about hot car deaths. Does that match up to what you all heard in the hearing? (sorry, haven't had a chance to watch)

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/2015/12/14/ross-harris-trial/77275754/

My take: defense was focused on use of the word 'research' and is internet searching considered research? I think the answer may depend on the age of the person asked.

Context: RH researched hot car deaths prior to Cooper's death was language used in either the verbal or written request.

The defense is painting a police state mentality picture and attempting to get warrants thrown out for overzealousness. Where is the line for rightful search and seizure?

Fascinating. Well-played, defense.

Regardless, I think RH deserves the DP. By firing squad. Or a hot car. MOO

I live in Georgia in the Atlanta area and I attended the Hemy Newman /Andrea Sneiderman case (grrrr retrial upon the appeal now next year!!! She live less than 2 miles from me grrrr ...)

But I must say... perhaps it's because I'm a Georgian.. I really enjoy following the Georgia trials. There's no drama like the Caylee case ..the Bashara case ..the Alexander case ... I could go on and on as far as the case drama in court.

In court the Georgia cases are just so matter of fact and law based ..I like it to follow as a :websleuther:

I am the same regarding Texas trials. The American Sniper /Eddie Ray Routh trial (LWOP) and the Eric Williams trial (he got the DP). They both lasted 2-3 weeks. Boom.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaufman_County_murders

You know, I'm surprised that in all these search warrants, there aren't any for social media accounts .... facebook, kik, whisper, etc.

Vinnie is live streaming. Court has not started yet. He expects this will go on all day.

This says Internet searches and watching videos online about hot car deaths. Does that match up to what you all heard in the hearing? (sorry, haven't had a chance to watch)

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/2015/12/14/ross-harris-trial/77275754/

Yes but the fact and basis that they had for basing the warrant on to get all that stuff was that law enforcement said that they had done *research*... which in reality was their reference that they had seen it on television about hot car deaths . Law enforcement keeps saying watching television was * research*.. and the defense is saying that does not qualify as research.

I tend to agree that watching television is not researching something. I think it needs to be proactive to be defined as research, not passive watching tv .

Although I reserve my right to change my mind in the next hour :floorlaugh:

:moo:

Court is starting up now :seeya:

ETA I have now changed my mind! he watched the TV show on his computer on the Internet. Ok that qualifies as *possible* research for me :P .

ETA #2 :pullhair: it was just now testified that when he said he saw that he did not say whether it was on the TV or he saw it on the computer on the Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shayput1996