The Life Insurance Policies on Dr. Sievers

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
ATOH - I don't disagree with you regarding the policy owner issue and I said that same thing above in post 111. I worked in the insurance industry for years so I am aware of exactly what rights a policy owner has.

Also, it's not accurate that insurance companies are "self-regulated". Yes, they have internal protocols and guidelines and I previously stated I have not worked for the companies that TS had her policies through. There is currently no federal regulation, but each state has their own insurance regulations and companies must comply with the state regulations. Having a complaint filed against you with the state Department of Insurance is not a matter any insurance company takes lightly. When I paid death claims we received notice of complaints filed with the dept of insurance occasionally and they were always taken very seriously.

We will have to disagree about whether the amount of insurance was too high. IMO and considering the years of experience I have working in the insurance industry I don't find it that excessive. Young people who purchase life insurance are usually doing so in order to replace their income they would have earned that their families would not have if they passed away in addition to providing funds for their funeral expenses.

That being said, I do agree that it may not be fiscally responsible to continue paying several hundred dollars a month in insurance premiums if you are having trouble paying your bills - unless you're expecting a big payday from said policies which is exactly what I think MS was expecting.

Whether $4.4 million in life insurance is excessive or not, it's still a strong motive for the beneficiary to kill Teresa. JMO.

Yes, Audrey but it is important to note that insurance companies are **for profit** and self-regulated with their own protocols. That being said, there are times where one that owns a policy can increase the insurable amounts without requiring much ado.
As I have stated previously, if a person owns a policy, that person could change the beneficiary at any time & no notice will be given to the previous beneficiary. As a matter of fact, the insurance companies may not tell you who your spouse has listed as a beneficiary if your spouse owns the policy---nope; not without the beneficiary's consent.
There were approx. 4 life insurance policies that totaled $4.4 Million. Some feel that wasn't that much considering our good Doctor's earning potential but I disagree. She wasn't a surgeon, she had a practice but she didn't own the building with tenants paying her rent, and I bet she wasn't rolling in the dough. She lived in a nice home but not on "Nob Hill" & I'm sure she had student loans of substantial amounts. Now we learn of 2 "almost" foreclosure events on the home & IRS liens!!

IMO the life insurance policies of $4.4 Million seems disproportionate to her earning potential AND what they could afford because paying a couple of hundred dollars per month in premium costs (that will go up in time---they were term insurance policies) is unusual as a priority when you're young, health, & struggling with paying your bills.

.....and I bet we shall find out more about where the money was going per MS's priorities.

Moo
ATASTEOFHONEY bbm.. Your post was fabulous! I read it 3 times.
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

ATASTEOFHONEY bbm.. Your post was fabulous! I read it 3 times.
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:
Yes and I think we all appreciate yours and Audrey's insight. You both have the same agenda; justice.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Imagine your TS and you're married to a loser who couldn't provide for your pet turtle if anything happens to you. You're ambitious and well educated. Your husband is lazy, has limited professional experience, zero ambition, and champagne taste.

Perhaps TS thought the life insurance increases were necessary. She like most parents would have wanted her daughters to follow their dreams. College, sports, extracurricular activities it all adds up. Especially if Daddy can't provide but wants to live the high life.

It's possible that TS's sense of responsibility and love for her daughters worked in MS's favor. I'm sure she realized that he would never be able to support her daughters should anything happen to her.

....That being said, I do agree that it may not be fiscally responsible to continue paying several hundred dollars a month in insurance premiums if you are having trouble paying your bills - unless you're expecting a big payday from said policies which is exactly what I think MS was expecting.

^sbm
Curious whether anyone has tried to online/guesstimate amt of mo'ly premium payments for TS life ins. If so, I missed it.

We have info re -
- name of ea ins co,
- ~ yr of issue for ea pol or some pol's, based upon doc dump w image of initial prem ck pymt,
- amt of initial premium for some or all, again based on ck copies.
- amt of death benefit for ea pol,

We could make assume - that the prem's were fixed, on say 20 yr basis or assume what???? What else?

Life ins industry wizards? Anyone shopping for life ins now? Give it a spin? Any website-calculators for multi-co's?
Or recommend a website where may carrier's prem's wd/be shown?
Other suggestions before someone digs in? Thx in adv.

-

^sbm
Curious whether anyone has tried to guesstimate amt of mo'ly premium payments for TS life ins. If so, I missed it.

We have info re -
- name of ea ins co,
- ~ yr of issue for ea pol or some pol's, based upon doc dump w image of initial prem ck pymt,
- amt of initial premium for some or all, again based on ck copies.
- amt of death benefit for ea pol,

We could make assume - that the prem's were fixed, on say 20 yr basis or assume what???? What else?

Life ins industry wizards? Anyone shopping for life ins now? Give it a spin? Or recommend a website where may carrier's prem's wd/be shown?
Other suggestions before someone digs in? Thx in adv.

-

Good point. Since some were gotten in 05. That's the 10 year term right there that some policies will give you a good payout. But I'm thinking mark was paying a total of $150 for the big Ohio one. And maybe $50each for the other ones. So I'm thinking he paid about $300 for insurance payments. Jmo.

OKAY...since I can't sleep, because of coffee in anticipation of the new docs. There are so many variables in life insurance...age?, profession?, health?, gender?, weight?, smoker? and as AudreyParker reminded us...even your DRIVING RECORD. A specific answer to a general question is tough. It is kind of like asking, "How much is my auto insurance going to cost?" Uh, pretty hard to answer if I don't also know your age, gender, driving record, full coverage, liability only, increased limits, deductibles etc. But I'm going to go with AVERAGE & the following ASSUMPTION:

"Ten year (level term) policies are popular for those people who are on a very tight budget as they offer some of the cheapest rates on the market,"
10 year level term. STANDARD $2277 ANNUAL PREM. SELECT $935 ANNUAL PREM.
That is the cost for a million dollar policy, average age 45.

20 year Level Term: $3737 ANNUALLY SELECT $1510
http://www.valuepenguin.com/average-cost-life-insurance

When Hubby had a major job transition, I insisted he get a "low cost term" insurance policy (and I AM THE OWNER and PRIMARY BENEFICIARY OF THE POLICY....don't mind if you ask me why.) He had to have blood drawn, an EKG, a physical, lab work, checked our credit, and medical history of his family. They even sent a company rep to our home!
Because of his age and we initiated the call, I think the scrutiny of his application was intense. (Yah, yah DEX....I know what you are thinking!:doorhide: lol.)
Hmmm, so now I am beginning to understand 5 insurance policies. I don't think he could have applied for a million dollar life insurance on his wife with their "current financial issues."
4.5 million dollar of insurance coverage....is not cheap.

10 year term ...hmmm when were the checks written for the policies that we've seen.. 2005? Plus 10=2015...

What is the Slayer Statute or Slayer Rule; well here goes!
Since Audrey brought up how each State has it's own regulatory powers over insurance companies & life insurance payouts, I thought I'd add this as just a sampling of how it can vary:

Every state but New Hampshire has a law that says a person may not collect from another’s estate if he/she was convicted of killing that person.

*Note: this applies to the entirety of a deceased’s estate, not only life insurance.

or google "21 Life Insurance Scams by JRC Insurance

It's a real eye opener!

What is the Slayer Statute or Slayer Rule; ....
Every state but New Hampshire has a law that says a person may not collect from another’s estate if he/she was convicted of killing that person....

ATOH - Thanks for raising this point. Your link had some interesting cases to illustrate the idea.

More re the general concept:

"The slayer rule, in the common law of inheritance, is a doctrine that prohibits inheritance by a person who murders someone from whom he or she stands to inherit (e.g., a murderer does not inherit from parents he or she killed). In calculating inheritance of the decedent's estate, the effect of the slayer rule was that the slayer would be treated as though he or she had predeceased the person who had been murdered, therefore his or her share of the estate would pass to his or her issue."
"While convicting someone of the crime of murder requires proof beyond a reasonable doubt, the slayer rule applies to civil law, not criminal law, so it is only necessary to prove the wrongful killing by a preponderance of the evidence, as in a wrongful death claim. This means that even a slayer who is acquitted of the murder in criminal court can still be divested of the inheritance by the civil court administering the estate."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slayer_rule

More on Slayer Rule as it applies to life insurance policy proceeds, as specified by Florida statute (bbm sbm)

"732.802 Killer not entitled to receive property or other benefits by reason of victim’s death.—"

"(3) A named beneficiary of a bond, life insurance policy, or other contractual arrangement who unlawfully and intentionally kills the principal obligee or the person upon whose life the policy is issued is not entitled to any benefit under the bond, policy, or other contractual arrangement; and it becomes payable as though the killer had predeceased the decedent."

"(5) A final judgment of conviction of murder in any degree is conclusive for purposes of this section. In the absence of a conviction of murder in any degree, the court may determine by the greater weight of the evidence whether the killing was unlawful and intentional for purposes of this section."

"(6) ....
Any insurance company, bank, or other obligor making payment according to the terms of its policy or obligation is not liable by reason of this section unless prior to payment it has received at its home office or principal address written notice of a claim under this section."
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0732/Sections/0732.802.html

^ FL statute also addresses slayer situations w property which would be passed in probate under the decedent's will or by intestacy, in addition to jointly-owned property. As this is insurance thread, not discussing further here.

ETA: Particularly interesting, imo:

"This issue has arisen in many cases and most commonly is at issue when a killer is found not guilty by reason of insanity. It is an essential element of the Slayer Rule that the slayer possess the requisite mens rea or guilty mind or mental culpability when the slayer committed the murder. For example, in the case of In re Estate of Brumage, 460 So.2d 989 (Fla. 4th DCA 1984), the court found that a son, who had killed his mother but had been found not guilty by reason of insanity, was allowed to receive nonprobate assets of her estate absent a showing that the killing was wrongful."

"Under the Uniform Probate Code, and most other jurisdictions that have adopted its version of the Slayer Rule, those who kill while acting in self defense are exempt from the Slayer Rule. Likewise, those persons who are acquitted or are convicted of a lesser degree offense, such as manslaughter, are exempt from the Slayer Rule."

(^bbm) ^ Info, dated 2008, from a private FL law firm, discussing FL's slayer statute.
http://www.florida-probate-lawyer.com/probate/floridas-slayer-statute/

{ETA: I hope - if Mark participated (99.44/100% sure he did), jury's verdict makes him ineligible for L/I $, probate estate, etc.}

"This issue has arisen in many cases and most commonly is at issue when a killer is found not guilty by reason of insanity. It is an essential element of the Slayer Rule that the slayer possess the requisite mens rea or guilty mind or mental culpability when the slayer committed the murder. For example, in the case of In re Estate of Brumage, 460 So.2d 989 (Fla. 4th DCA 1984), the court found that a son, who had killed his mother but had been found not guilty by reason of insanity, was allowed to receive nonprobate assets of her estate absent a showing that the killing was wrongful."

"Under the Uniform Probate Code, and most other jurisdictions that have adopted its version of the Slayer Rule, those who kill while acting in self defense are exempt from the Slayer Rule. Likewise, those persons who are acquitted or are convicted of a lesser degree offense, such as manslaughter, are exempt from the Slayer Rule."

(^bbm) ^ Info, dated 2008, from a private FL law firm, discussing FL's slayer statute.

{ETA: I hope - if Mark participated (99.44/100% sure he did), jury's verdict makes him ineligible for L/I $, probate estate, etc.}
Why would manslaughter be exempt?

Why would manslaughter be exempt?

= Nullus Commodum capere potest de injuria sua propria (No man can take advantage of his own wrong)

If Person A causes Person B's death and would (otherwise) receive Person B's life ins proceeds, probate estate, etc,
the Slayer Rule precludes Person A getting those benefits, if Person A intentionally (maliciously, w premeditation, w malice aforethought, deliberately, w wording depending on state law) caused death.
But ---
If Person A accidentally or inadvertently causes death, Slayer Rule's rationale does not apply, as Person A did not intend to cause the death.

W Dr TS's death, doc dump info suggests (to some/many/most/all?) that MS planned w CCW for CWW enter the S home, and do something, the specifics of which were not made explicit in their texts & emails content.
- Maybe do something lawful, like CWW fixing computers.
- Maybe do something like stage a burglary, take cash, jewelry, electronics.
- Maybe scare Dr TS, like tell her 'if you divorce MS, you won't get custody, won't get prop settlemt, etc.'
- Maybe scare like ^ and CWW to give her a black eye, but no further injury.*
If MS & CWW planned one of ^ but did not intend death, arguably Slayer Rule rationale does not apply because death was not planned, so MS could benefit financially from her death.

Maybe MS & CWW planned for CWW to -
- intentionally cause the death of TS.
If so, Slayer Rule rationale applies: MS sh/not benefit financially from death, sh/not get life ins $ or probate estate.

JM2cts, could be wrong.

* Trying to think of MS's poss defense arguments, no matter how flimsy or lame.
The defense's argument - intended only a black eye, but she fought back, escalating alteration, leading to death.

"Manslaughter is a legal term for the killing of a human being, in a manner considered by law as less culpable than murder.... The law generally differentiates between levels of criminal culpability based on the mens rea, or state of mind...)" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manslaughter

Maybe this is why they are waiting to arrest MS. From this information it seems like it is possible that if they charge him with anything less than murder he could maybe then file for the insurance. With CWW and JR they can hold them with manslaughter charges then go to a grand jury because they don't have any insurance on TS.
I do wonder if MS had been arrested at the same time as his BFF for manslaughter if the insurance company would of already had to pay out, since he would be being held on manslaughter charges and not murder charges.
This makes me go hmmmm. So maybe this is why no charges yet.
ETA: I meant to respond to post 132.

Seems to me the Hirer (MS) should be responsible for the Hire-ee's (CWW/JR and I know Hire-ee is not a word) actions, intended or not. Shouldn't matter if MS hired CWW to rough up TS but he killed her instead. MS started the chain of action and should be held responsible for the outcome.
Now, I don't know if that is the law or how a Life Ins Co sees it but if I were on a jury, that would be my line of thinking.
There isn't a defense lawyer on the face of this earth that would accept me in a case like this. Killing is bad but sometimes there are mitigating circumstances. Execution of one's spouse for financial gain ranks right up there with serial killers and child abductor/killers in my book.

ETA- I apologize for getting off topic.

icon14.png
...Good Post! ...
icon14.png

How you do tell it, MrsArk!! Yes, and yes again!

In the murder-for-hire cases I have seen, the hirer is ranked and sentenced right in there with the ones who commit the act of murder -- 1st Degree Murder included. I have only seen a couple, and the prosecutor was top-notch. I'm gonna poke around & see if I can find examples or law reference...

ETA: I found this case -- two brothers hired two other men to murder the brothers' parents for life insurance...

[h=1]2nd Son Convicted of Parents' Murder for Hire
Courts: Neil Woodman is found guilty of hiring hit men in 1985 'Ninja' slayings. His brother, convicted first, testified against him.
[/h]

http://articles.latimes.com/1996-01-23/local/me-27775_1_son-convicted-of-parents-murder

and the Wikipedia story gives more detail:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders_of_Gerald_and_Vera_Woodman

I did find this in the Florida Statutes:

The 2015 Florida Statutes
600x3_gradient.gif
Title XLVI
CRIMES
Chapter 777
PRINCIPAL; ACCESSORY; ATTEMPT; SOLICITATION; CONSPIRACY
View Entire Chapter
[SIZE=-1]CHAPTER 777
PRINCIPAL; ACCESSORY; ATTEMPT; SOLICITATION; CONSPIRACY

777.011 Principal in first degree.
777.03 Accessory after the fact.
777.04 Attempts, solicitation, and conspiracy.
777.201 Entrapment.

777.011 Principal in first degree.—Whoever commits any criminal offense against the state, whether felony or misdemeanor, or aids, abets, counsels, hires, or otherwise procures such offense to be committed, and such offense is committed or is attempted to be committed, is a principal in the first degree and may be charged, convicted, and punished as such, whether he or she is or is not actually or constructively present at the commission of such offense.

[/SIZE]

my red bold

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0777/0777.html

Maybe this is why they are waiting to arrest MS. From this information it seems like it is possible that if they charge him with anything less than murder he could maybe then file for the insurance. With CWW and JR they can hold them with manslaughter charges then go to a grand jury because they don't have any insurance on TS.
I do wonder if MS had been arrested at the same time as his BFF for manslaughter if the insurance company would of already had to pay out, since he would be being held on manslaughter charges and not murder charges.
This makes me go hmmmm. So maybe this is why no charges yet.
ETA: I meant to respond to post 132.

ohreally (great user name)
You have raised some interesting questions. My responses are only my opn, and I welcome our W/S legal professionals and life ins-claims professionals to offer corrections or clarifications to my post.

1. Is Slayer Rule, "...why ...waiting to arrest MS?"
Could be, but imo doubtful.
After arrest & charges, MS/MS atty has right to demand speedy trial (IDK how many days), so FL prosecutor-team must be ready to proceed against that deadline to start trial. Premature arrest does not leave prosecutor-team enough time for trial prep. Team must have enough evidence to support charges made, whether murder or manslaughter or other.
From first doc dump, imo, there is a lot of analysis & prep for Pros-Team to do; esp w more docs anticipated. Imo, still early days for prosecutor-team, despite Lee County LE's extensive and productive investigation. JM2cts.

2. "...if they charge him with anything less than murder he could maybe then file for the insurance..."
Short answer: he could file anyway, even if charged w murder, imo (but might be bad PR move)
Long answer: Typically a beneficiary completes LI co claim form, submits it & death ctf, by mailing to/filing w LI co, not filing w ct.
When a benef files claim, w death ctf stating MoD = homicide (like Dr TS, right?), LI co can/will/may contact LE where death occurred to see if benef. is a suspect or person of interest, etc.
If LE says yes, LI co does not/may not immed'ly pay out $ to that benef, could await to see if crim chgs are brought.
Then if LI co decides to pay contingent benef, if later primary benef is cleared (no crim chgs), LI co could be forced to pay primary benef - so could end up paying twice.
LI co may wait until LE completes investigation and if benef is officially 'cleared,' then co should pay.

Other prob for LI co - if it pays $ to benef, who is later convicted on murder charge, co could be forced to pay $ to contingent benef too. Practically speaking, difficult or virtually impossible for co to recoup $ from primary benef. Could end up paying $ twice.
To prevent paying twice, LI may file an interpleader action* in ct, basically saying - a life ins policy on this decedent named X as primary benef and Y as contingent benef; death ctf states MoD = homicide; we/the co cannot determine who to pay, so co is tendering the funds (enclosing a check for the death benefit amt, payable to the ct) and pls, court, you figure out who should receive it. Then the benef's are notified of action and can file their responses w ct. After hearings, maybe full blown trial, judge eventually decides who sh/receive $ and releases funds/issuse ck. to that person. JM2cts.

3. "I do wonder if MS had been arrested at the same time as his BFF for manslaughter if the insurance company would of already had to pay out, since he would be being held on manslaughter charges and not murder charges."
Not likely, imo.
LI co letter to MS in late July stated, as MoD=homicide, & LE investigation was cont'ing, that co could not process claim yet. (see doc dump 1)
Seems imo, by then LI co's were clued in to LE looking at MS as being involved in causing TS's death.
CWW was arrested in late August (26, 27?) so if at same time, MS had bn arrested for manslaughter, doubtful, imo, that LI co's wd have already paid $ to MS, as they were on notice about MS' poss involvement, so wd hesitate to pay MS. Keep in mind, a manslaughter chg can later be upgraded to a murder chg. JM2cts.

We also have to keep in mind the standard of proof for criminal cases is "beyond a reasonable doubt" which is a higher standard than civil cases, like interpleaders, where standard of proof is by the preponderance of evidence.** https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_burden_of_proof

Again, welcoming our W/S legal & life ins professionals and others to chime in, to correct or clarify. Thx in adv.

* "Interpleader is civil procedure that allows a plaintiff to initiate a lawsuit in order to compel two or more other parties to litigate a dispute. An interpleader action originates when the plaintiff holds property on behalf of another, but does not know to whom the property should be transferred. It is often used to resolve disputes arising under insurance contracts." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpleader

O/T: A common LI co-filed interpleader happens when a policyholder changes the benef's and that is disputed after death.
For ex, widowed Dad initially named (yrs ago) all three adult offspring as benef's, and then when two fall out of his favor, he filed new benef form naming only one offspring. Offspring may not be aware of existence of policy, or old or new benef designation. On his death, learning of policy, they complete & submit claim form to LI co, where employee sees conflicting claims. If the disfavored two allege that Dad was incompetent when he changed benef form, and if the three cannot agree among themselves to a settlement, LI co has no way of determining whether Dad was incompetent when he signed form changing beneficiaries. LI co may/is likely to file an interpleader action, to let the three sort it out/fight it out before a judge in ct. Interpleader is used not just for circumstances where crim charges may be filed.

** "Preponderance of the evidence, also known as balance of probabilities is the standard required in most civil cases.... ""The standard is met if the proposition is more likely to be true than not true. The standard is satisfied if there is greater than fifty percent chance that the proposition is true. Lord Denning, in Miller v. Minister of Pensions,[SUP][8]}[/SUP]described it simply as "more probable than not." " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_burden_of_proof. bbm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back