The Most Hated Baby Names in America

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Grew up with 3 brothers & one sister. My mom had 7 children in total (my twin died at birth, as well as one of my brother's twin.)

My mom was very original back then in the 50's - 60's.

She named my sister "Jeryl", after the beautiful "Brooklyn Rheingold" contestant back in 1955", "Jeryl Johnson". My dad's name was Gerald (Jerry).

But before that, my mom named my oldest brother "Garret" born in 1950. She chose his name as Garret, as it was part of the name Margaret. Well we still call her Peggy and she's 86 y/o! God bless my mom, she was always ahead of the "times". Oh, and by the way, I was a twin, I had a twin brother at birth. But he only lived 7 days. My mom named him Luke Joseph, after her Father. I always wonder what it would have been like if he had lived. The doctor induced labor, as he thought back then that it was one large baby. He was wrong.

I forgot to add.. My mom's sister was in the hospital with my mom when I was born. My Aunt said to my mom, you should name her after the Virgin Mary. So my mom, didn't like that name and I was named Maureen.

We have some pretty unusual names in our family. All my brother's daughters have names that start with an s. One great-grandmother was named Missouri Texas so Texas is one of their middle names. Actually, his daughters names makes him and his wife seem like they wave around the confederate flag lol.
Another niece got a great grandmother's last name, Atchley.
When a very close friend of my was pregnant in the early 90's, she told me that she had the perfect name. Yentl. I was very nice and didn't say anything but I thought that was the most awful name ever! When her daughter was born, she was given a nice normal name. Several years later she asked me if I had really believed her when she said the name would be Yentl. I had!

I cant get the link to open , so I dont know where their names land... lol but I have two sons and one daughter. My oldest son is Morgan, second son is Tristan, and my daughter is Jaidyn Rose. At the time that I had named my children the names were not popular at all well low and behold they are now ....lol

Oh, i thought i had a unique name for my daughter born back in 69, Heather. She was alone with that name locally for a long time, but then it flew into popularity. I still like it, but there are so many now. She named her daughter Kaelie, wow, another one that got popular. One grandson got the name Haze which I haven't heard too much, he loves his name.

I cant get the link to open , so I dont know where their names land... lol but I have two sons and one daughter. My oldest son is Morgan, second son is Tristan, and my daughter is Jaidyn Rose. At the time that I had named my children the names were not popular at all well low and behold they are now ....lol

What beautiful names for your children!

Oh, i thought i had a unique name for my daughter born back in 69, Heather. She was alone with that name locally for a long time, but then it flew into popularity. I still like it, but there are so many now. She named her daughter Kaelie, wow, another one that got popular. One grandson got the name Haze which I haven't heard too much, he loves his name.

I alway's loved the name Heather! Such a lovely name!

My first name is very old fashion..I was named after my great aunt who happens to be who my mom was also names after. I go by my middle name and 90% of the people I know do not know my first name. (they just think what they call me IS my first name.) BUT I have to say I like my first name better then what all the girl cousins ended up being named "something" Beth ex. Sara-Beth Mary-Beth etc.
My sons name is Colton when we came up with name we hadn't heard it befor and now 3 years later it's a name I hear alot. In fact he has 2 distant cousins whos names are Colton.
Now my "first" name (which is actually my middle name) is a very popular middle name.
And my "real" first name is Phyllis

Would have never guessed meredith was a "boy" name at one time. Interesting

My name is Eileen, and since I wasn't born prior to 1950's, there was no one in my entire grade (K-12) who shared my name. However, once at my friend's birthday party, she had a girl from another town there named Eileen too. It was so annoying thinking people were talking to me when they were really talking to her. I was not used to someone else having the same name as me and it made me glad that my name is pretty rare.

My favorite name for a boy (at the moment) is Troy and for girls, I like names like Kaya, Nina, and Leila. Also I love the name Jacqueline but I hate Jackie and I hate the name Alexandra but love the nickname Alex.

My husband named our middle daughter Dena after a woman he worked with. The name wasn't very common back then. Our daughter always complained that she could never buy any preprinted stationary, note cards, pens, pencils, cups, key rings, etc. with her name on them because no store carried things with her name. It just wasn't heard of that much. One time a friend of mine had some stationary specially printed with my daughter's name on it as a gift to her. That name seems more common now though, or maybe I just notice it more when I hear of someone with that name.

Uggh, I shouldn't have looked at that list... My daughter's name is the #1 most disliked name for boys! It wasn't "trendy" or very popular when I chose it almost 12 years ago thou - I thought it was pretty and not boyish at all.

I just wish when people have a name or have named their child a name that they've gone with a non-traditional spelling of, that they wouldn't look at you like you have two heads when you spell it wrong.

I'm surprised to see that people feel so strongly about others' names. There are names that I would/wouldn't personally like to name my own children (which at this point in my life are still nonexistent), but I don't often find myself keeping a running tally of what I dislike. Perhaps it's because I work with many children, and I see their amazing personalities shine through...maybe it tempers me to liking various names automatically. I have everything from Kazavian, Ashauntiana, and Karyonchae to Jenny, Joshua, and Judy in my classes (and EVERYTHING...believe me, EVERYTHING in between) but I've never really considered it...their personalities far outshine any dislike I could possibly acquire for a name. I hope all of my students love their names, embrace them, and grow into them, despite what "popular" opinion might dictate! I disliked my own name when I was younger (Carmen) and longed to be a Stacy, Lisa, or Victoria, but now I love my name! (Of course, the opera helped sway that as I grew older...so passionate, daring, and exotic!)

I am personally drawn towards what are probably considered traditional names, but I also tend to balk at sweeping things into "popular" opinion piles...so I personally find this list silly. I don't worry myself with disliking anyone's name.

I was named after my dads receptionist. I dont know why mom went along with it but I do wonder about that.

Soulmagnet, I'm sorry, but that is funny. Maybe your dad just liked the name.

Honestly I love boys names for girls. Marky or Markie is one I had picked for a girl.

Also I like last names for kids. I had Tierney picked for a girl as well as Brighton.

One look at my DD and I skipped calling her Branwynn. I picked a unique name, but a short one. Still don't people mispronounce it? Thankfully today she loves it as it fits her hippy self.

Trends in those old fashioned names makes some older people gasp and say "That was my grandmom's name. It sounds like an old ladies name".

Everything old is new again.

No lie I had some woman in a class with me named "PEPSI".

Honestly I love boys names for girls. Marky or Markie is one I had picked for a girl.

My cousin was Mark until the day she was born, her mother was so convinced she was having a boy she told the midwife who delivered her, "No, check again, it can't be a girl, he's going to be called Mark." She was subsequently called Michelle after her father, Michael.

I have a long long list of girls' names I'm 'prejudiced' against for the simple reason I spent 10 years working for an association of professional dance teachers and in the course that time saw thousands of girls' names typed on thousands of examiners' reports to be subsequently inscribed on dance certificates. You could compile lists of the most popular names from a given birth year by how many Lindsays (there are so many different spellings of this particular name and it became a PET hate by the time I was done) - Leannes (I counted a dozen variations of this one too) - Rebeccas (or Rebekahs) - Rachels (or Rachaels and once a Raychell) - Katrinas (or K(C)aterinas and Catrionas) Hailey-Kaylee-Kylies and Natalies, Gemmas and Jessicas and then there was the Celtic trend with a plethora of Aoifes, Eilidhs, Naimhs, Siobhans and Nualas .... AAAAAAARGH. :crazy:

I swear if I'd ever had a daughter I would have been hardpressed to find ANY name I actually liked after that.

I think it's interesting how in the 40s, 50s, and early 60s parents chose names that would fit in rather than stand out. My mil actually looked at a list of popular baby names and chose the top two for her children!

These days parents want their children to stand out, but with names it's so tricky: chances are, if you like a name and it sounds fresh and original and cool to you, it sounds the same way to thousands of other parents right this minute. So the originality thing tends to backfire.

For example, I think the name August for a boy is gorgeous. However, ten years ago when I was having kids, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have liked it: it sounded like an overweight king, or something. I know a couple other mothers who like that name right now too. It's weird how we absorb trendiness without even realizing it.

My sister got lucky, I think: her name is Laura. It's timeless, simple, and beautiful. I have like 5 friends with the same name, but don't know any kids with it -- does that mean it's out of style? Does it sound bad and boring to parents these days?

My kid told me that the name "Brian" sounds like an old guy's name to him. Hilarious!

On a bit of a side note, I was a radio DJ for 18 years, and nearly everyone used a different name on-air for two reasons:

1. To maintain some privacy

2. We didn't like how our name "sounded" so we came up with a "cooler" sounding name. Most used their middle name as their last name on-air, but some had entirely different names. Most of our families understood why we didn't use our given names publicly.

My mother thought she was picking a name that was traditional but not too widely in use at the time I was born (1960s). My grandmother is the one who suggested it, and my mother liked it. Turns out it was a popular name at the time, LOL! Probably my grandmother heard it somewhere without realizing because it was popular, and then it popped into her head as a suggestion. However, there was really only one grade where there was another girl with my name. I do run into someone with my name every once in a while.

Funny thing, my grandmother was named a boy's name because her parents had already had several girls and thought they wouldn't ever have a boy. Then after her they proceeded to have 3 boys in a row!

What do you think of the name Aubrey for a girl? I associate that with being a name that an elderly man would have, but people seem to be using it for little girls these days.

I thought I was being kind of original with my oldest's name. Collin.
Well He was in the NICU and the baby in the incubator next to him was also named collin, born 2 hours before him. last names started with the same initial as well LOL
We run into the other family constantly, we were in the same baptism class, as well as use the same Dr's office. They are forever messing up appts because the boys both have the same first name and same birth date and same last initial LOL

ETA:
My boy's names are
Collin
Alec
Isaac
Hunter
Logan

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online