The Murder of Janet Abaroa #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Janet and Raven married before she finished college? I yahoo'd a search on her and foudn some college stories...

http://www.meridianmagazine.com/breakingnews/021108svuprint.html

"[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In the second match, SVU defeated Warren Wilson College of Asheville, North Carolina, 4-0. Senior Janet Abaroa led all scorers with two first half tallies off assists by Liz Bates and Tori George. In the second half, the knights put to more goals in at the feet of Liz Bates and Lindsie Butler. Bates was assisted by Tori George and Bates assisted the Butler goal. Again, SVU’s defense held off all shots and was led by Debby Prins. Sonnet Dunn, USCAA All-American keeper notched the shut-out for the Knights.
[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Despite being dejected over the loss of the national championship, this years Lady Knights have much to celebrate. They have four All-Americans: Sonnet Dunn (second time), Liz Bates, Jill Christensen and Erika Christiansen. They also have four Academic All-Americans: Sonnet Dunn (Third time), Janet Abaroa (Second Time), Erika Christiansen and Sara Judd, who earned the highest GPA in the nation amongst the USCAA athletes. Earning all national tournament honors were freshmen Tori George and Lindsie Butler and Senior Janet Abaroa. Of the six seniors on the SVU Lady Knights team, five have been or are academic All-Americans with the average GPA being a 3.6."[/font]

PrayersForMaura said:
Hi there... I work with photoshop and other adobe products professionally and i see what you are seeing. It appears that Janet was cropped all around her arms and body and placed in that photo. Very peculiar indeed.

THANK YOU!!!! I knew I wasn't imagining it. Was it even HER wearing the string bikini, I wonder???

Thinkoflaura said:
THANK YOU!!!! I knew I wasn't imagining it. Was it even HER wearing the string bikini, I wonder???
I am not sure. It's odd that the rest of the picture is so clear and that she is very pixelated.

I don't know if ALL the reports of Janet's murder, which vary widely, are in one place on this long and getting longer thread, so I thought I would place a master link from Google News for ALL of the news outlet reports here.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q="Janet+Abaroa"+&btnG=Search+News

Also, there is an unusual paragraph in one which is from their landlord talking about how far off the road his house which they were renting was, and how " you could do anything back there and not be heard".
In addition, they had been to him just 2 days before to have their rent substantially lowered. Landlord stated that they had both " been unemployed for a time but had found jobs recently".
Where was she working? Has anyone found that information? Maybe someone from her place of employment knows something. WHERE are the interviews with friends and co-workers??
Where is HER FAMLY now that she's been buried and why are they not speaking up? Their daughter has been murdered!

Ok, from a previous article i believe posted by golfmom on the first page, Janet had a sister named Gaynelle who died when she was 16. She has another sister named Dena who was being interviewed in that article. Gaynelle's last name was Christiansen. I did a search on Janet and Gaynelle Christiansen and came up with this as their family tree:

"
2292. Janet Anne LAYTON (Cleo Franklin LAYTON , Cleo Gay LAYTON , Anna Theresa HESS , Catharine SLOYER , Johannes SCHLOYER , Johann Michael SCHLEIER , Johann Michael )

Janet married Valor Gaines CHRISTIANSEN.

They had the following children:

3130FiGaynelle CHRISTIANSEN was born on 23 Jul 1966 in Ponca City,Kay,Oklahoma. She died on 19 Feb 1982 in Baltimore,Baltimore,Maryland. She was buried on 23 Feb 1982 in Kauffman Station,Franklin,Pennsylvania. 3131FiiDena Lynn CHRISTIANSEN 3132MiiiBradley Stuart CHRISTIANSEN 3133FivValanie CHRISTIANSEN 3134FvSonja Michele CHRISTIANSEN 3135FviKrista Nicole CHRISTIANSEN 3136FviiJanet Marie CHRISTIANSEN 3137FviiiErika Lee CHRISTIANSEN 3138MixRichard Scott CHRISTIANSEN 3139MxMark Edward CHRISTIANSEN
"

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~sloyerschloyer/pafg81.htm

Thinkoflaura said:
I don't know if ALL the reports of Janet's murder, which vary widely, are in one place on this long and getting longer thread, so I thought I would place a master link from Google News for ALL of the news outlet reports here.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=%22Janet+Abaroa%22+&btnG=Search+News

Also, there is an unusual paragraph in one which is from their landlord talking about how far off the road his house which they were renting was, and how " you could do anything back there and not be heard".
In addition, they had been to him just 2 days before to have their rent substantially lowered. Landlord stated that they had both " been unemployed for a time but had found jobs recently".
Where was she working? Has anyone found that information? Maybe someone from her place of employment knows something. WHERE are the interviews with friends and co-workers??
Where is HER FAMLY now that she's been buried and why are they not speaking up? Their daughter has been murdered!
I read that too and almost just posted it!!! The article mentioned about the landlord working out two months of free rent with them or something and how Janet got a new job easily but that Raven had "offers".

PrayersForMaura said:
I am not sure. It's odd that the rest of the picture is so clear and that she is very pixelated.

Yes, that's what I used as a point of reference- the fact that everything around her was in focus, same delineation, etc.. I'm not a professional photographer, but I do know one and he has taught me that photos in magazines and so forth of seemingly perfect people are " touched up" , photoshopped, cropped, airbrushed, etc...

I think this photo is very odd in composition of the subject matter in juxtaposition of what has been reported about her and what I have seen in other photos of her, and in the fact that it appears to have been digitally altered, and remains in his archive while most OTHER photos of her do not!!

What do y'all think of this? If it has been discussed already, my apologies...

On Zuiker's website, he captured the deleted comment from Raven's blog. There were two comments on his blog entries, one is marked as "deleted by author"; the other remains...Here is the one that was deleted...

http://mistersugar.com/assets/public/khanna.gif

The reporter in question apparently knew Janet, and wanted to do a small news piece, which she did...

http://newsobserver.com/news/story/2353536p-8731092c.html

Why would he just delete her note to him and not communicate with her, unless???? Normally, you would want reputable news pieces out there to keep interest in the case going, and because they sometimes bring in information, unless... :confused:

cappuccina said:
What do y'all think of this? If it has been discussed already, my apologies...

On Zuiker's website, he captured the deleted comment from Raven's blog. There were two comments on his blog entries, one is marked as "deleted by author"; the other remains...Here is the one that was deleted...

http://mistersugar.com/assets/public/khanna.gif

The reporter in question apparently knew Janet, and wanted to do a small news piece, which she did...

http://newsobserver.com/news/story/2353536p-8731092c.html

Why would he just delete her note to him and not communicate with her, unless???? Normally, you would want reputable news pieces out there to keep interest in the case going, and because they sometimes bring in information, unless... :confused:
thanks for posting these. I was wondering what the message was that was deleted and why the next poster wrote "have some class and leave him alone". It's not like the first poster posted anything rude. The scond poster wrote something quite defensive. I wonder if the seond poster was Raven himself? It's not like their site received hundreds of visits. It had to be someone sleuthing the case of a family member/friend.

PrayersForMaura said:
Ok, from a previous article i believe posted by golfmom on the first page, Janet had a sister named Gaynelle who died when she was 16. She has another sister named Dena who was being interviewed in that article. Gaynelle's last name was Christiansen. I did a search on Janet and Gaynelle Christiansen and came up with this as their family tree:

"
2292. Janet Anne LAYTON (Cleo Franklin LAYTON , Cleo Gay LAYTON , Anna Theresa HESS , Catharine SLOYER , Johannes SCHLOYER , Johann Michael SCHLEIER , Johann Michael )

Janet married Valor Gaines CHRISTIANSEN.

They had the following children:
3130FiGaynelle CHRISTIANSEN was born on 23 Jul 1966 in Ponca City,Kay,Oklahoma. She died on 19 Feb 1982 in Baltimore,Baltimore,Maryland. She was buried on 23 Feb 1982 in Kauffman Station,Franklin,Pennsylvania. 3131FiiDena Lynn CHRISTIANSEN 3132MiiiBradley Stuart CHRISTIANSEN 3133FivValanie CHRISTIANSEN 3134FvSonja Michele CHRISTIANSEN 3135FviKrista Nicole CHRISTIANSEN 3136FviiJanet Marie CHRISTIANSEN 3137FviiiErika Lee CHRISTIANSEN 3138MixRichard Scott CHRISTIANSEN 3139MxMark Edward CHRISTIANSEN
"

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~sloyerschloyer/pafg81.htm

I recall her middle name being Marie -- looks like you've got the right record here!

PrayersForMaura said:
thanks for posting these. I was wondering what the message was that was deleted and why the next poster wrote "have some class and leave him alone". It's not like the first poster posted anything rude. The scond poster wrote something quite defensive. I wonder if the seond poster was Raven himself? It's not like their site received hundreds of visits. It had to be someone sleuthing the case of a family member/friend.
There are two sides to the reporter commenting on Zuiker's site. From an e-mail responding to one I sent the reporter, Samiha Khanna;

"Mr. Zuiker e-mailed me this opinion before, and I sent him a response.
But yet my response didn't make it into blog accusing me of the
"egregious journalism error." He chose not to include my response. That
violates the first rule of journalism: Getting both sides of the story.

It would be different if I were currently a friend of Abaroa's. I didn't
even know she was in Durham. But the fact that I knew of her can hardly
be considered unethical."

I believe Samiha -- the danger in blogging is being selective like that. It's easy to do if you are doing it for your own reasons and have no agenda other than writing out your muse, whatever sets you off, inspires you, intrigues you. I edited an early blog entry of my own after Samiha's e-mail back to me, since I didn't think Zuiker was all that fair in his. I like his blog otherwise, though.

Janet and Rave are registered at classmates.com. He has info posted about him, she does not. Something tells me he liked computers more than she did...

Posted Mar 8, 2005

New Baby - Its a Boy
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

BFD60005A7D8D26221659D4F71EFCC3C.jpg

Enlarge Photo
spacer.gif

Its a Boy

You can find more info on my website, ravenstree. click on my life!

Can't believe I'm growing up....

Some of Raven's entires
Q:
Describe your political views:
A:
Middle of the road

Q:
Kind of pet(s) you have:
A:
Cat(s), Dog(s)

Q:
Country you live in today:
A:
UNITED STATES

Q:
State you live in today:
A:
North Carolina

Q:
Current relationship status:
A:
Married

Q:
About children:
A:
I have 1 child

Q:
Kind of car you drive:
A:
SUV

Q:
How do you feel about your life right now:
A:
My important "to-do" list is still unfinished

Q:
What do you do with your free time:
A:
Arts (museums, theater, etc.), Listen to music, Spend time with family, Sports or strenuous activity

Q:
Your dream vacation:
A:
RV across America

Q:
Why you're here at Classmates:
A:
Hoping to reconnect with a friend

Q:
Your main source of current events:
A:
Internet

Q:
If you won $100 million tomorrow, you would:
A:
Change very little about my life, just enjoy the money

Q:
Your friends would describe you as:
A:
Aggressive and focused

Q:
Your favorite type of movie:
A:
Action/Adventure

Q:
Indoor hobbies you enjoy:
A:
Books, Cars & Vehicles, Investing/Stock Market

Q:
Outdoor activities you enjoy:
A:
Bicycling, Camping/Hiking, Playing Team/Club Sports, Running

Q:
How you meet most of your friends:
A:
Associations/volunteering

Q:
Describe your current living arrangement:
A:
Own a House

Q:
Your biggest pet peeve:
A:
Bad waiter/waitress

Own a House
We all may fib a bit from time to time, or embellish the truth to improve it... but for most of us it's the exception, not the rule. I begin to get the feeling it wasn't an issue with this guy, bending the truth. They rented. Small detail, maybe, but may go to pattern of behavior.

Anyone else notice that a Dodge Durango is not the Isuzu the guy has deified at his site? What happened to the Isuzu? Not worth a mention? Would a guy who loved his car that much have driven his wife's car on a lark? The police reports made it sound like the Durango was the only car they had. So I'm wondering; was the treasured Isuzu repossessed? Stolen?

That would not make Raven happy, I think. Being repo'd is a terribly embarrassing experience; I admit, it's happened to me. But for someone who is materialistic in the extreme, which I do think he is, judging from his pursuits and the site, being repo'd would be utterly traumatic, and a source of great anger. Just an idea.

I agree that he seems to be the one who really got into the internet. If he has access he may be reading everything he can find right now. I know for a fact several people whom I've written about have read my blog; that's a weird feeling. Another thing:
Q:
Your friends would describe you as:
A:
Aggressive and focused
Hm. That's all I can say to that. Hm.

misterallgood said:
I agree that he seems to be the one who really got into the internet. If he has access he may be reading everything he can find right now. I know for a fact several people whom I've written about have read my blog; that's a weird feeling. Another thing:
I am a member of classmates and they give you several choices of words that people can describe you as. It amazes me that he chose the "agressive and focused" option, especially when on his blog he writes that he moves a lot and eluded to the fact that he is not focused. So perhaps if he thinks his friends think that way of him, then perhaps he is pulling off the great facade.

misterallgood said:
We all may fib a bit from time to time, or embellish the truth to improve it... but for most of us it's the exception, not the rule. I begin to get the feeling it wasn't an issue with this guy, bending the truth. They rented. Small detail, maybe, but may go to pattern of behavior.

Anyone else notice that a Dodge Durango is not the Isuzu the guy has deified at his site? What happened to the Isuzu? Not worth a mention? Would a guy who loved his car that much have driven his wife's car on a lark? The police reports made it sound like the Durango was the only car they had. So I'm wondering; was the treasured Isuzu repossessed? Stolen?

That would not make Raven happy, I think. Being repo'd is a terribly embarrassing experience; I admit, it's happened to me. But for someone who is materialistic in the extreme, which I do think he is, judging from his pursuits and the site, being repo'd would be utterly traumatic, and a source of great anger. Just an idea.

Let's look at things from the famous " Stressor" scale.. I forget the 2 names associated with it..
1) Recent birth of a child.
2) Primary wage earner fired from job under acrimonious circumstances.
3) Head of household accused of a serious crime, embezzlement, outcome to be determined, attorney retained, case made public.
4) Spouse without backup income source at the time, probably not planning on re-entering the workforce at that time.
5) Couple may HAVE owned a house, but had it foreclosed or had to sell it.. Has anyone done a Real Estate property search for them yet? I haven't, just getting into this case, but certainly will right now if it hasn't been done. Will also look into UCC filings, tax liens, that sort of thing.
6) Obvious SEVERE financial difficulty to the point that they had to ask for a lowered rent payment.
7) Janet had to go back to work, also a stressor.
8) Leaving their infant in daycare, which is NOT cheap, and the separation of baby and mother is also a stressor.
9) Apparently. Raven has gotten a new job of some sort while awaiting criminal proceedings. Starting a new job under a cloud of criminal suspicion would cause so much stress that I can't even imagine.
10) Possible loss of personal possessions, such as a vehicle due to loan default.. ( Speculative at this point, thus last).

These events, ALL stressors, occured inside the Abaroa household within 6 months of Janet's death.

good stress list, ThinkofLaura, and I agree, stress was mounting.

For a couple short on cash, i would think that the pets and the internet access could go for a while ... he seemed to work on the internet quite a bit and from the little bit of searching i have done, it seems he posted on a few sites... one about cars, then there was classmates, his site, and his interest in the stock market which is huge online ... who knows if he lost any money in the stock market.

Please, if you can, do a search on the property situation. I don't know how to do that or I would help ya! Thanks!

PrayersForMaura said:
I am a member of classmates and they give you several choices of words that people can describe you as. It amazes me that he chose the "agressive and focused" option, especially when on his blog he writes that he moves a lot and eluded to the fact that he is not focused. So perhaps if he thinks his friends think that way of him, then perhaps he is pulling off the great facade.

PrayersForMaura, you are doing some great research. Thanks for the genealogy stuff. I totally stink at it. :)

The deleted blog entry is very interesting as is the Classmates.com profile. Also, might I add that either Raven or Janet have had to PAY yearly for that much info to be available on classmates.com? The standard sign-up does not allow a user to respond to the standard dumb questions with limited choice answers as copied and pasted from Raven's profile that a paying member " Gold Member" I believe it is, has the privelege of adding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BanPokies1