The Phone Calls in the early morning of Dec.18, 2013 (both PayPhone & cells)

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
SM and HE spoke for 4+ min, but less than 5 minutes. He would have likely been able to complete 1 local call for whatever the cost was ($.50?). I doubt he called H.E. collect that night.

This may have been mentioned before but I always thought that if it was truly a local call then they would have only needed to deposit like the .50 cents no matter how long he talked. I may be mistaken about that but always thought that is how it worked with pay phones and true local calls.

The last time I used one was so long ago maybe things have changed. I do remember the operator breaking in and having to plunk in more change the last time I used one but dont remember if I was calling out of town or not.

This may have been mentioned before but I always thought that if it was truly a local call then they would have only needed to deposit like the .50 cents no matter how long he talked. I may be mistaken about that but always thought that is how it worked with pay phones and true local calls.

The last time I used one was so long ago maybe things have changed. I do remember the operator breaking in and having to plunk in more change the last time I used one but dont remember if I was calling out of town or not.

I think you are correct a flat fee, 50 cents, to make a local call no matter how long it is. Under 5 min doesn't seem an unreasonable amount of time or a time so long it would require more money to be inserted.

SM and HE spoke for 4+ min, but less than 5 minutes. He would have likely been able to complete 1 local call for whatever the cost was ($.50?). I doubt he called H.E. collect that night.

I never knew you had to pay by the minute for local calls on a payphone.

Random thought again. So now I have to wonder...if it is so creepy there, why did Heather get gas there? Did she have no "creepy filter"? It doesn't look like that is the most convenient location to get gas for her vehicle, so was there something else in the area she went to or needed to get to? And SM found a payphone in the same area. Why was he there? The coincidence makes me think there is some kind of connection in that area, but I have no idea what it could be.

When you need gas you need gas and if that's the closest station to where you are at a given point then creepy or not, they've got gas. What other stores are around there? There's a Family Dollar store? Discount. Heather, at 20 yrs old, did not have the kind of filters that adults at 40+ have. She wouldn't look at an area like, say, a mom would. We can't put our perceptions and values on a 20 yr old and assume she would have or should have seen it all the same way. To her it may have looked like any other random area she'd been to in that town.

I never knew you had to pay by the minute for local calls on a payphone.

It's not by the minute per se, but you can't talk forever on one drop of the dime (or in 2013 terms I guess $.50). At some point your time will run out, whatever that amount of time is. So if you talk for 1 minute you're still paying whatever the amount is. If you talk for 2 minutes you haven't had to pay any more. You don't get any money back.

I think you are correct a flat fee, 50 cents, to make a local call no matter how long it is. Under 5 min doesn't seem an unreasonable amount of time or a time so long it would require more money to be inserted.

OT
I once called an overseas company and when my phone bill came I was surprised at how much it cost. They didnt have a toll free number and I only needed to talk to them for a short time so figured it would not be too bad.

I only talked for a couple minutes and the bill was around 75.00 I dont plan on calling overseas anymore after that experiment. This particular place was about as far away as possible though so I suppose a place like England maybe a little cheaper.

It's not by the minute per se, but you can't talk forever on one drop of the dime (or in 2013 terms I guess $.50). At some point your time will run out, whatever that amount of time is. So if you talk for 1 minute you're still paying whatever the amount is. If you talk for 2 minutes you haven't had to pay any more. You don't get any money back.

I don't know which company that particular payphone is through but I found this Verizon SC info:

http://www.verizon.com/tariffs/PDFViewer.aspx?doc=163484

SECTION 6 - MISCELLANEOUS SERVICES (Continued)

6.1 Payphone Service (Continued)

6.1.3 Availability of Service

This service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week where facilities and system capabilities permit.
Payphones that use network coin signaling will not be suitably equipped to accept payment by coin for long distance calls. Alternative payment methods such as calling card, commercial credit card, billed-to-third party number, collect and prepaid card may be used for calls made from such telephones.

6.1.4 Rates and Charges

These rates are applicable to 1+ Sent Paid-Coin calls where Customer deposits coins into a payphone. All rate periods apply.
Initial Four Minutes
Per Minute $1.00

Additional Minutes
$.25

Thank you. All these images at this site seem much sharper and larger than others I have seen of the hearing. I'm saving this site!

I believe they are the pictures that our WS member hoppy took. She/he was there & the pictures are all great quality!

When you need gas you need gas and if that's the closest station to where you are at a given point then creepy or not, they've got gas. What other stores are around there? There's a Family Dollar store? Discount. Heather, at 20 yrs old, did not have the kind of filters that adults at 40+ have. She wouldn't look at an area like, say, a mom would. We can't put our perceptions and values on a 20 yr old and assume she would have or should have seen it all the same way. To her it may have looked like any other random area she'd been to in that town.

Right on! When I was Heather's age I didn't even think to look at crime statistics. If I had to get gas I just went wherever was closest to where I was for convenience.

Random thought again. So now I have to wonder...if it is so creepy there, why did Heather get gas there? Did she have no "creepy filter"? It doesn't look like that is the most convenient location to get gas for her vehicle, so was there something else in the area she went to or needed to get to? And SM found a payphone in the same area. Why was he there? The coincidence makes me think there is some kind of connection in that area, but I have no idea what it could be.

I'm wondering if it was the kind of place that is only creepy at night? I think Heather's receipts have her there at a little past 4 in the afternoon so it would still be light out. I know of many places that are fine in the day but then the freaks come out at night and make it creepy. kwim?
Just a thought.

Yes, it's just a period. I see you've all already worked that out. :) Throughout Heather's entire springme profile, whenever somebody would get on her nerves or say something rude to her, she'd reply with a corrected punctuation mark that the person left out or she'd correct their spelling lol. I LOVE how instead of stooping to their level she did that instead! Anyway, in this instance Tammy forgot to put a period at the end of her sentence so Heather texted her back with a period. :D

Is there a difference, then, between "." and "(.)" in texting-speak?

When initially reading about this mark, people thought Heather was sending this to SM and not to TM, and it may have been some kind of signal. I wondered about the parenthesis and whether than meant something different than a straight period mark.

One is a period & one is a boob. :floorlaugh:

I'm wondering if it was the kind of place that is only creepy at night? I think Heather's receipts have her there at a little past 4 in the afternoon so it would still be light out. I know of many places that are fine in the day but then the freaks come out at night and make it creepy. kwim?
Just a thought.

I have been to this area many times and it does not seem creepy to me at all. I have stopped at this station to get gas. It is across from a shopping center that houses TJ Maxx and Target. I have been at the shopping center many times and never felt fearful at all. I am not a local, so maybe they would be more attuned?

"Creepy" is in the mind of the person feeling it. Some areas are nicer than others. It's totally subjective as to what makes a place feel a certain way.

cujenn81, I just wanted to say thank you for running out and checking the payphones on 10th Ave N. Did you guys come to a conclusion yet which payphone Sidney called from? I did a google map search and only 3 gas stations are located on 10th Ave N. Do they all have payphones? In one of the reports on tv, video was taken that showed a payphone in it, many people thought that was the payphone that was used. We know that the payphone was located at a gas station, right? Do any of those on 10th look like what was in that news video?

A B & E are all directly accessible gas stations from 10th Ave N. Do all 3 have payphones?

A. Circle K
1101 N Kings Hwy, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577 ‎

B. Kangaroo Express
1929 Mr. Joe White Ave, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577 ‎

E. Kangaroo Express
2995 10th Avenue Ext N, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577 ‎

b4gv7t.jpg

LE has the phone number that corresponds to the very pay phone that was used to call HE's cell on 12/18, so they for sure know which pay phone it was. It had to be within a relatively small geo area. Has anyone just come out and point blank asked them which phone it was? Give it a try.

I have been to this area many times and it does not seem creepy to me at all. I have stopped at this station to get gas. It is across from a shopping center that houses TJ Maxx and Target. I have been at the shopping center many times and never felt fearful at all. I am not a local, so maybe they would be more attuned?

I've never gotten gas at this particular station only because there's a Sams Club 1/2 block away with cheaper gas. I wouldn't consider this area unsafe though, I think it's viewed this way because the homeless shelter is right down the street and this would be the closest market to buy cigarettes etc. Catty corner to the Kangaroo Station is Toys R Us and I've never known anyone to feel nervous or whatever about shopping there.

Keep in mind that the MBPD is about 2 miles down on 10th ave. North and Oak Street.

Also, IIRC the receipt found in Heather's car was confirmed to have been at this Kangaroo Station on 10th and Seaboard, but the phone call was said to be just from the Kangaroo Station on 10th Ave? There is a second Kangaroo Express at the next light up on 10th Ave. North and 17 Bypass. It has a large BP sign with a much smaller Kangaroo, I'd always thought of it as a BP station untill I noticed the Kangaroo sign while I was sitting at the stop light there this morning.

cujenn81, I just wanted to say thank you for running out and checking the payphones on 10th Ave N. Did you guys come to a conclusion yet which payphone Sidney called from? I did a google map search and only 3 gas stations are located on 10th Ave N. Do they all have payphones? In one of the reports on tv, video was taken that showed a payphone in it, many people thought that was the payphone that was used. We know that the payphone was located at a gas station, right? Do any of those on 10th look like what was in that news video?

Sorry to jump in here, I believe that Justice4Heather went out and confirmed that the pay phone on the news video was located on Kings Hwy, the belief being it was just stock footage.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerinska
Back