The Ring/Jewelry

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
FWIW, the ruby is EJ's birthstone. How big would a ruby and diamond have to be to be worth $20,000? Maybe that is what someone told EJ it was worth.

I thought this was a very interesting question, since I have no idea, and if you had a ring really worth this much, you may very well NOT wear it b/c of its value, except for very special occasions.

So I did a quick google search and came up with this interesting link:

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=5277410

This ring sold in a Christie's auction for $20K - interesting that it sold 12/10/09 but I'm sure not related to this case.

Anyway, this is a big beautiful and very noticeable ring. Many people seeing it would wonder about its value so maybe LE did too if EJ had a ring something like this. So if the ring is really worth $20K, I'd expect it would be quite a ring to look at.

I just want to know if anyone has even seen the flipping ring...

I thought this was a very interesting question, since I have no idea, and if you had a ring really worth this much, you may very well NOT wear it b/c of its value, except for very special occasions.

So I did a quick google search and came up with this interesting link:

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=5277410

This ring sold in a Christie's auction for $20K - interesting that it sold 12/10/09 but I'm sure not related to this case.

Anyway, this is a big beautiful and very noticeable ring. Many people seeing it would wonder about its value so maybe LE did too if EJ had a ring something like this. So if the ring is really worth $20K, I'd expect it would be quite a ring to look at.
Thanks for the link. The platinum and 18k gold setting also add to the value. I think someone lied to EJ about the value. In my reading I found rubies come from Burma or Thailand so maybe whoever she got it from brought it in from another country. ughh....a human trafficker??

I wonder if he "lost" it, or they want the culprits to think they don't have it, or someone came in amd removed it. I'm in total agreement, you MUST be kidding!!!!

I just want to know if anyone has even seen the flipping ring...

I think we need a reporter in Miami Beach to contact the arresting officer there to see if they can get anything from them. Doubtful they will, but supposedly it was on her when she was arrested.

The expensive piece of jewelry was allegedly handed over to Johnson's grandfather, Arizona authorities said. However, McQueary said the grandfather denies any knowledge of the ring.

BBM. How interesting.

http://www.khou.com/news/national/E...s-alive-and-adopted-father-says-84704682.html

Also snipped from above article:
The distraught father bases his belief on several clues he's dug up on his own. The most recent revelation is a $20,000 ruby and diamond ring. She reportedly had it in her pocket when she was arrested.

This article says that she had it in her pocket, which makes sense to me b/c if the ring is really worth $20K, I don't know if she'd want to wear it just anywhere.

It's a small thing but this says the ring was in her pocket. In an earlier article about the call she had with her GF on 1/16, it says a ring she was wearing.

If the ring her GF was supposed to pick up is alleged to be the same ring that LM now is referring to, worth $20K, the GF knew about the ring from EJ's telephone call, which contradicts what is said in this article about the GF having no knowledge of the ring.

But this article again is not a direct quote from LM, so we don't know what his exact words were about EJ's GF's knowledge of the ring.

Wow ... lots going on lately regarding the case! In regard to the ring though, I'm a bit puzzled about the specifics. From the little I have heard about jail protocol for long-term stays, I have always been told as soon as you're booked into one, they make you empty your pockets and the jail keeps all your jewelry, etc until you are eventually released. I don't know if every jail does it that way, but I assume there is basically standard procedures that are pretty universal regarding those minute types of things. My brother-in-law is a police officer ... I could ask him I guess. But the reason I bring this up is if this is really true regarding the mystery ring, how in the world would EJ have still had it in her possession to even call her GF about coming to get it if LE had already taken it soon after she was booked into the jail? I know she was arrested in Miami initially, but wouldn't they have taken it and kept it along w/any of her other belongings at the time? I don't believe EJ would still have had it on her person at that time, but I could be wrong. Something just tells me we're somehow missing pieces of the puzzle here on this one.

Could it be that EJ's GF's answer was edited or taken out of context? He might have meant, "I no longer have it, gave it back to LE (or more likely left it with LE and I do not know exactly where they put it or what they are doing with it." And she may have asked him to come get her valuables not realizing they would NEVER be released just because she wanted them released,

The value could have come from EJ, if she's talking behind the scenes, based on what a broker may have told her. So... whether the stated value came from EJ or a LE appraisal, if she accepted it as a portion of payment that seems a very misplaced sense of trust. I doubt most ppl would never take the word of a relative stranger especially when there was no chance to expose that person if, in the end,they were being scammed. I'm back to wondering if someone EJ did trust reassured her that this form of payment was ok and confirmed a value. Not being a jeweler, how many of us could come up with a decent appraisal amount? Not me, I couldn't even get in the ballpark.

Wow ... lots going on lately regarding the case! In regard to the ring though, I'm a bit puzzled about the specifics. From the little I have heard about jail protocol for long-term stays, I have always been told as soon as you're booked into one, they make you empty your pockets and the jail keeps all your jewelry, etc until you are eventually released. I don't know if every jail does it that way, but I assume there is basically standard procedures that are pretty universal regarding those minute types of things. My brother-in-law is a police officer ... I could ask him I guess. But the reason I bring this up is if this is really true regarding the mystery ring, how in the world would EJ have still had it in her possession to even call her GF about coming to get it if LE had already taken it soon after she was booked into the jail? I know she was arrested in Miami initially, but wouldn't they have taken it and kept it along w/any of her other belongings at the time? I don't believe EJ would still have had it on her person at that time, but I could be wrong. Something just tells me we're somehow missing pieces of the puzzle here on this one.

It was hers, Miami would have sent it to Tempe with her. They keep your things until you are released or yousign a release for someone to come and get them. very few areas object to turning over someone's personal property if allowed. It's one less envelope they have to store.

Could it be that his answer was edited or taken out of context? He might have meant, "I no longer have it, gave it back to LE (or more likely left it with LE and I do not know exactly where they put it or what they are doing with it."

The value could have come from EJ, if she's talking behind the scenes, based on what a broker may have told her. So... whether the stated value came from EJ or a LE appraisal, if she accepted it as a portion of payment that seems a very misplaced sense of trust. I doubt most ppl would ever take the word of a relative stranger/shady underground person especially when there was no chance to expose that person if, in the end,they were being scammed. I'm back to wondering if someone EJ did trust reassured her that this form of payment was ok and confirmed a value. Not being a jeweler, how many of us could come up with a decent appraisal amount? Not me, I couldn't even get in the ballpark.

The value could have come from EJ, if she's talking behind the scenes, based on what a broker may have told her. So... whether the stated value came from EJ or a LE appraisal, if she accepted it as a portion of payment that seems a very misplaced sense of trust. I doubt most ppl would never take the word of a relative stranger especially when there was no chance to expose that person if, in the end,they were being scammed. I'm back to wondering if someone EJ did trust reassured her that this form of payment was ok and confirmed a value. Not being a jeweler, how many of us could come up with a decent appraisal amount? Not me, I couldn't even get in the ballpark.

Could EJ have gotten a value from someone in San Antonio at some point?

This still would not answer the question of how LM purportedly knows it is worth $20K, unless EJ is talking behind the scenes and LE told LM this value based on what EJ said.

Seems likely still though that IF the $20K value has any merit, there would be an appraisal somewhere along the way to back that up.

Right now we can't even confirm that someone has the ring now. :sick:

did maybe someone give her appraisal papers when they gave her the ring? As proof that it was real and to make it easier to sell in the future?

If there was no broker, just a desperate couple, would they have slipped up by giving her the appraisal statement? If she got that, I'm willing to bet she would have had it on her and that's where the price estimate comes from.

Just thinking out loud.

did maybe someone give her appraisal papers when they gave her the ring? As proof that it was real and to make it easier to sell in the future?

If there was no broker, just a desperate couple, would they have slipped up by giving her the appraisal statement? If she got that, I'm willing to bet she would have had it on her and that's where the price estimate comes from.

Just thinking out loud.

It would be helpful if appraisal papers like that existed!

It would be helpful if appraisal papers like that existed!

They could of shown her a grading report for the ring, it's a diamond and ruby ring. The diamond or diamonds could account for the value. That's the only way I can get 20k out of it.

A diamond grading report is a detailed explanation of a diamond's characteristics such as its cut, weight and dimensions. Many diamonds are certified by an independent laboratory so that purchasers can feel confident that their diamond is indeed of the quality the seller represents. A certified diamond's quality is guaranteed, and is therefore more valuable than an uncertified stone. A certificate verifies a diamonds identity and value and is recognized by all gemologists.

They could of shown her a grading report for the ring, it's a diamond and ruby ring. The diamond or diamonds could account for the value. That's the only way I can get 20k out of it.

A diamond grading report is a detailed explanation of a diamond's characteristics such as its cut, weight and dimensions. Many diamonds are certified by an independent laboratory so that purchasers can feel confident that their diamond is indeed of the quality the seller represents. A certified diamond's quality is guaranteed, and is therefore more valuable than an uncertified stone. A certificate verifies a diamonds identity and value and is recognized by all gemologists.

I have a report like that for the center diamond in my engagement ring. When I had an insurance appraisal done, the jeweler indeed was able to verify that the diamond in my ring was the diamond on the matching report. So certainly EJ could have received, or have been shown, something like that.

But the report alone would not show a value. I believe an appraisal would be needed to actually show a value.

I searched for ruby and diamond rings online - the ones I saw anywhere close to a price of $20K were certified, had platinum settings, and had 3+ carat rubies and 1+ carat diamonds. Quite something to look at.

Would EJ be naive enough to accept that a ring is worth $20K without some kind of proof, just based on seeing the ring?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back