The Sidebar - Harris Trial #3 *VERDICT - GUILTY*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very pleased with the verdict.

I think the lack of reaction was shock. There was a slight flash of anger at one stage stage too. He thinks he is way smarter, sexier and talented than he actually is, and he was shocked that they didn't fall for his foolproof plan and spectacular acting.

So, yeah, if the verdicts are actually mutually exclusive, then that would be grounds for reversal and new trial:

See,

Jackson v. State, 577 SE 2d 570 - Ga: Supreme Court 2003

If they were mutually exclusive, wouldn't the Jury Instructions say the word OR in between the two of them? I have seen that used in other jury instructions. But it was not used here. So maybe they are not actually in conflict.

Diamond saw the case for what it was..murder in my opinion and bailed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I think you're right. Or close. I think he saw too many things in the case that started to bother him. He has a reputation to uphold. A stellar one. No reason to taint it on a questionable case.

[video=twitter;798254395842588676]https://twitter.com/RossCavittWSB/status/798254395842588676[/video]

He does not seems surprised by the verdict. His attorneys seem very defeated and surprised.

IMO

I think his attorneys were convinced of his innocence.

Once they saw the car for themselves....they knew
JMO

The things that convinced me the most:
1. The size of the car and the proximity of the seat.
2. Forgetting so quickly despite intense interaction with his son less than a minute before.
3. His knowledge of hot car deaths and the look back campaign, right before Cooper dies.
4. The interrogation tapes.
5. The weird way he placed the lightbulbs in his car at lunch.

After they re-watched the tapes, he was sunk. They made me feel doubt was o longer reasonable. But the verdict still surprised me.

It seems that a lot of guilty defendants don't react when the verdict is announced. I wonder if you go into some sort of shock when you hear the word Guilty...

Right? What's he supposed to do? Smile? Cry? Furrow his brow and look troubled?

There is absolutely no "expression" he could have made that wouldn't be vulcanized.

The collective glee over other people's misery, in the name of "justice" makes me ill.

Can't find the press conference video anywhere.... anyone find it? And where are you seeing Vinnie?

There is absolutely no "expression" he could have made that wouldn't be vulcanized.

The collective glee over other people's misery, in the name of "justice" makes me ill.

I don't know if glee is the right word for it, but when someone murders their baby and they are found guilty, I feel pretty satisfied about that and he deserves misery.

I don't know how he's supposed to react and I didn't watch the video yet.

But I would say it's a feeling of elation that a lot of people have in being invested in the trial.

He's a guilty man, it feels good to see justice served. It's definitely a sad day, but it's also a day that 12 people came together and said "you didn't get away with this, Cooper matters".

Yeah. me too! Where can I find it? The press conference that is....

I think you're right. Or close. I think he saw too many things in the case that started to bother him. He has a reputation to uphold. A stellar one. No reason to taint it on a questionable case.

I think his attorneys were convinced of his innocence.

The things that convinced me the most:
1. The size of the car and the proximity of the seat.
2. Forgetting so quickly despite intense interaction with his son less than a minute before.
3. His knowledge of hot car deaths and the look back campaign, right before Cooper dies.
4. The interrogation tapes.
5. The weird way he placed the lightbulbs in his car at lunch.

After they re-watched the tapes, he was sunk. They made me feel doubt was o longer reasonable. But the verdict still surprised me.

My list is similar:
1) "wouldn't bring him back if he could"
2) incredibly short time period between strapping Cooper in and having to get in the LH turn lane to the preschool (you have to make that decision right as you are doing the u-turn).
3) incredible number of memory triggers he ignored (getting his work stuff out of the car; email from daycare; contact with wife re plans; driving past CFA + road to daycare at lunch - both ways; throwing bulbs in car)
4) closeness of carseat and not noticing Cooper's body until well away from his office, where he'd have to face people that knew him
5) telling his movie-friends that he would be late, and then leaving work early
6) "immediately" enamoured with idea of becoming an advocate (normal parents would still be in shock and not making plans for their future)
7) endless self-centered actions in aggregate
8) admitted he had no conscience.

Hey, I have a terrible memory and I didn't believe the guy. Of course his strange behavior in the interrogation tapes didn't help...with his concern about his jail cell...not about the son he just killed.

Hey all, I heard about the verdict and wanted to publicly thank the jury for doing the right thing.

They saw the facts for what they are and put a dangerous murdering pervert behind bars for the rest of his life. As everyone knows, I would have done the same. I don't want to live in a world where a disgusting predator gets off on murder and is eventually allowed to be free to go hunt down someone else's daughter. The world is a little safer today. Thanks jury.

I really think JRH thought he would get away with everything, even the sexting. I don't think his attorneys would have slammed the victims so hard if they didn't agree.

His attorneys deserved to lose this one. Lay down with dogs and get fleas.

Wow. There is an opening for appeal.

I think the State could make a case that both charges fit, considering the length of time it took for Cooper to die. It was not an instantaneous death, and Ross had the power and responsibility to remember his child during the day, in time to save him.

jmo

I'm still looking into this, but here's a more recent case that seems to overrule the 2003 case. It might depend on how the judge sentences them and whether or not she corrects the conflict at that time:

State v. Springer, Ga: Supreme Court 2015

So ....

Commenting on his reaction does not indicate glee on my part.

I make no apologies for being interested in his reaction. That does not make me gleeful.

Not sure I ever said anything previously, but I like and admire this Judge. She seems the epitome of charm, grace, and intelligence, and she has shown utmost respect for the jury and the law. :clap:

I really liked her too! She seemed very respectful.

He was all smiles and shaking hands pre-verdict, you don't often see that.

Most likely no reaction because they know they're guilty and expect the verdict.

100% agree.
Bag of light bulbs in the same hand as he used to open the door- boring saying the jurors noticed that. Said it's interesting what others notice.

Jury said the entirety of the evidence was what convinced them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhaT's the significance of that?

If they were mutually exclusive, wouldn't the Jury Instructions say the word OR in between the two of them? I have seen that used in other jury instructions. But it was not used here. So maybe they are not actually in conflict.

Well that's going to be a question for the appellate lawyers. If it was not charged in the alternative (OR) as it should have been, then that could be error.

They are actually in conflict but it's possible that the judge can find that the evidence supports either verdict and at sentencing merges the felony murder conviction into the malice murder conviction. And maybe merges the 2CC verdict in with the 1CC verdict.

There might be ways for the judge to cure this at sentencing is what I'm trying to say.

My list is similar:
1) "wouldn't bring him back if he could"
2) incredibly short time period between strapping Cooper in and having to get in the LH turn lane to the preschool (you have to make that decision right as you are doing the u-turn).
3) incredible number of memory triggers he ignored (getting his work stuff out of the car; email from daycare; contact with wife re plans; driving past CFA + road to daycare at lunch - both ways; throwing bulbs in car)
4) closeness of carseat and not noticing Cooper's body until well away from his office, where he'd have to face people that knew him
5) telling his movie-friends that he would be late, and then leaving work early
6) "immediately" enamoured with idea of becoming an advocate (normal parents would still be in shock and not making plans for their future)
7) endless self-centered actions in aggregate
8) admitted he had no conscience.

Hey, I have a terrible memory and I didn't believe the guy. Of course his strange behavior in the interrogation tapes didn't help...with his concern about his jail cell...not about the son he just killed.

I would like to add, the car seat was bright red....it did not blend into the cars interior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ms.dizzydolores